PDA

View Full Version : Mattress opinions?

janders
09-04-2020, 03:13 PM
We will be picking up our new 292BH in a couple weeks. Does anyone have any thoughts about the mattresses in these things? It’s part of the Passport SL line of trailers. I know it’s obviously personal preference, but I didn’t know if they were generally considered adequate or garbage. I’m just wondering if I need to stop by a mattress store to replace it since we don’t have any where we live. Thanks for your thoughts!

KimNTerry
09-04-2020, 03:18 PM
First mod for our trailer (after our first outing) was to remove the mattress and replace with a new relatively inexpensive one from the mattress store. We have since added a memory foam topper to that.

DocP
09-04-2020, 03:20 PM
The mattresses that came with most of my new campers over the years were very flimsy, and I immediately either upgraded to a better one, or put a memory foam mattress topper on top of it.

Before you go out an buy a new one, I'd advise you to carefully measure the one(s) that come with your new camper - the sizes of what the RV manufacturers call a "Queen" or "King" do not line up with the sizes you buy for your home.

KimNTerry
09-04-2020, 03:27 PM
part of the reason for the upgrade. The "Queen" mattress was a "Short Queen" for RVs, I'm 6'2" and my feet hung off the end. That and it was miserably uncomfortable.
It hangs over the platform slightly but it does fit and we can get around the bed.

sourdough
09-04-2020, 05:06 PM
Number 1, know the size of the mattress - exactly. Measure it so you know what you are dealing with. Our first few trailers we dealt with the OE or bought "add ons"; toppers etc. That just didn't work out. The longer we stayed in the trailer the more we wanted a nice mattress.

Last 2 new trailers we opted for mattresses that were residential size. One had the "upgraded", top of the line, residential mattress. Lasted 2 outings. This trailer mattress was upgraded with a true residential, pocket coiled mattress before it left the lot. Same with the last.

When we were used to camping in a tent or popup the 1st RV mattress seemed like a nice upgrade and I used it for 2 years...dealing with the soreness etc. when waking up. After a while we got tired of that as well. The mattress had a cut corner and replacements were hard to find. No longer.....and no more inability to move in the AM.

janders
09-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Thanks, everyone. It is listed as a proper 60x80 full queen. I guess I’ll have to measure and probably just try it and see. I appreciate all the input. Excited to join the Keystone crew!

BrooksFam
09-05-2020, 02:11 AM
We have had a sleep number mattress and currently have a Tuft and Needle foam mattress. Both are great.

notanlines
09-05-2020, 04:40 AM
Very, very few RV's come with acceptable sleep ware. Keeping in mind that you and SO are going to spend a third, maybe more ;), of your life on this mattress, wouldn't it be prudent to drop a few extra dollars and make that time pleasurable? For some 'a few extra dollars' might be $400 and others $1500, but one thing's sure: Forest River didn't spend any more than they had to when furnishing our Salem's mattress. DW and I wouldn't think of spending one night on it. We have a nice Serta in our spare bedroom and the one in the Salem will go to the dump.

wiredgeorge
09-05-2020, 07:38 AM
Thanks, everyone. It is listed as a proper 60x80 full queen. I guess I’ll have to measure and probably just try it and see. I appreciate all the input. Excited to join the Keystone crew!

Our camper came with the original 2002 Keystone supplied mattress and I had the seller take it out and do whatever they wanted with it. The original was an RV queen and I put in a full queen that is identical to the pillow top in our home. It is about a foot thicker and a foot longer than the RV mattress and I ended up sliding a 4' sheet of plywood that was the correct width under the end so it didn't sag when we slid off the end. It made it difficult for us to get around the bed in our low rise 5th wheel. No regrets and the mattress sleeps great. The plywood extension can't be felt and we can no longer lift the bed for storage and couldn't even without the plywood as the mattress is too heavy to mess with. I have never found under bed storage all that handy anyway but did use it to store bottled water, canned pop cases, etc, when I lived in a 24' pull trailer for awhile.

EagleandFox
09-05-2020, 08:52 AM
The bed in our 299RLDS is a full queen and we put our Englander memory foam mattress from our bedroom in it after getting the same mattress new for our home. The only thing we didn’t take into account was the curve of the front wall and the height of the mattress. The mattress is thicker than a regular one and the curve of the wall pushes it out over the end a bit so I have to scootch between it and the closet to get to my side. Width-wise it’s perfect. Not a huge deal for us because we love the mattress!

dutchmensport
09-05-2020, 12:27 PM
May I make a suggestion to you? Do not go "gah-gah" about buying a new mattress UNTIL you have given the factory installed one a chance.

I'm on my 4th camper, plus a pop-up, and all 4 mattresses, plus the pop-up ones were originally "acceptable" for some time.

We swapped out our first travel trailer mattress for a Serta (full size) because it had a corner bed and every time we lifted the bed to access storage underneath, it tore and ripped it more and more. We replaced, not because it was uncomfortable, but because the original one shredded on the bottom.

Our second travel trailer lasted for 2 years. It was comfortable, but it had hard wire on the edge, all the way around. After a couple years, that hard wire became more and more anoying because I like to dangle my feet off the end of the bed. We replaced with a queen Serta.

Our third travel trailer (Outback) just wore out after a couple year. Originally, it wasn't uncomfortable, it just wore out. And lifting the bed to access storage wore the bottom. Again, we replaced with a Serta Queen.

Our 4th is a fifth wheel. The original mattress was actually very comfortable. It really was. But after 1 year, the covering over it, simply started wearing very, very thin. It was still very comfortable, but literally, just wearing out. We replaced it with a Helix (foam) 11 inch thick King. Yes, that one cost an arm and 2 legs, but it's absolutely great. It made all the former Serta's we had pale in comparison.

So, what I'm suggesting is, give the mattress a chance before arbitrarily swapping it out. More than likey you will eventually swap it out, and after sleeping on it one time, THAT may be more than enough. But, if you can "comfortably" use it for a year or two, who knows? A year from now, you may be ready to trade for a whole new and different trailer, and .... there goes the $$$ you spent on the new mattress which will add absoulty, absolutely no extra value to the trailer at time of resale.

janders
09-08-2020, 05:54 PM
Excellent point! Thank you!

NH_Bulldog
09-09-2020, 04:38 PM
Everyone is different, and everyone has a different idea of what the perfect mattress is. Otherwise, there would be one mattress in the world with no choices.

I would give the factory one a shot and if it isn’t good for your very individual and unique situation, there are any number of bed-in-a-box options that can be shipped right to your door.

We took the factory queen mattress, unzipped it and rearranged the three foam layers. It used to be 1” comfort layer, 4” support layer and then another 1” comfort layer. Now it is the 4” support layer on the bottom, and then two 1” comfort layers. Then we threw on a 3” gel infused memory foam topper and it is very comfortable for us (and I am not a small guy).

Huntme
09-09-2020, 06:52 PM
give the Mattress that was in the trailer when you bought it to the Dog,if you dont have a dog,give it to someone else's Dog,because most of the Mattresses that come from the factory,are uncomfortable,and have no support.

labman
09-09-2020, 08:32 PM
What Huntme said! DW and i spent our first winter in AZ with the Keystone provided mattress and She suffered tremendously because of her back. Put a Leeza memory foam in for ~ $900 and slept like babies.

GMcKenzie
09-10-2020, 10:18 AM
give the Mattress that was in the trailer when you bought it to the Dog,if you dont have a dog,give it to someone else's Dog,because most of the Mattresses that come from the factory,are uncomfortable,and have no support.

You're joking, right?

If I made my dogs sleep on it my wife wouldn't speak to me again

Wait. This might not be a bad idea.......

:lol:

rustyfisher
09-10-2020, 05:27 PM
We just bought a 267BH in the SL series. The mattress is way to firm for most people. We had an extra mattress topper, which has helped. I would recommend Plush beds for a mattress that doesn’t off gas much. We bought this brand just before we sold our old camper (bad timing) and loved it!

Huntme
09-13-2020, 01:00 PM
You're joking, right?

If I made my dogs sleep on it my wife wouldn't speak to me again

Wait. This might not be a bad idea.......

:lol:

I think you are on to something there,the Boss not Nagging at me would be a change.
He He He.