PDA

View Full Version : truck squat question

gwilkrrs
09-02-2020, 03:50 AM
I have a leveled 2017 f350 cclb. with the rv hooked the truck sags maybe 2"
I think the trailer is a bit nose low also- (I need to hook and measure on a level surface to document)
I am contemplating adding a taller rear block to add some rake back into the truck or air bags, but I have no history of bags. if I choose bags will the ride be harsher when aired up to level? the truck has a 3" block and I can add a 4" or 5" block easily......

Northofu1
09-02-2020, 04:09 AM
Honestly, I would look into Bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear to start, it's the cheapest way to start and ride will improve and significantly reduce raking. If you feel you need more, you can't go wrong with ride rite 5000 with 3 convenience options.
Good luck sir.
P. S. If the rear bilstein's work out to your liking, add the fronts, they are pricier as the install is more and an alignment is called for.

gwilkrrs
09-02-2020, 04:11 AM
bilstein's were added prior to this, greatly helped the ride compared to the stock rancho shocks-
i am looking into the air bags to support but wonder if that stiffens things up when loaded and aired up-

Northofu1
09-02-2020, 04:17 AM
Oh yes, I had them on my 1/2 ton. They worked very well.
Ride will only be harsh if trailer isn't hitched when aired up.

BrooksFam
09-02-2020, 04:22 AM
I have air bags on my Ram and when aired up and truck loaded the ride is still good. If over aired, I guess the ride could be harsher. With no load, I put 10psi in them and it doesn't affect the ride. I have a 4" leveling lift. I also have a WDH for my TT.

I pulled my #6000 loaded enclosed trailer from Oregon to S. Carolina. I had 40psi in the bags and it road great. Getting ready to do it again, only from SC to Oregon.

I've had air bags on several tow vehicles over the years and like them a lot for leveling things out.

JRTJH
09-02-2020, 05:52 AM
I think the trailer is a bit nose low also- (I need to hook and measure on a level surface to document)
I am contemplating adding a taller rear block to add some rake back into the truck or air bags, but I have no history of bags. if I choose bags will the ride be harsher when aired up to level? the truck has a 3" block and I can add a 4" or 5" block easily......

Note the part in red: Are you saying that you have modified your truck suspension to lower the rear or raise the front suspension so the truck "sits level with no load" ???? If so, that 2" sag is "lost with the front lift kit".....

Ford builds their trucks with a 2" (in most cases) lift on the rear axle so that when the truck is loaded, it "sits level"...

My reason for asking: If you've modified your truck with a "leveling kit" that may be the source of your current problem......

gwilkrrs
09-03-2020, 02:42 AM
yes the truck had the front end raised to level the truck.
I realize this is why the truck squats now
I like where the front end is now and am wondering if I should use a taller rear block or air bags to help with the truck sagging.

BrooksFam
09-03-2020, 03:05 AM
Air bags will give you the added support when you want it and none when you don't.

WDH adjustment may help a bit, but I would add bags before larger spacer blocks, but that's just me.

Ken / Claudia
09-03-2020, 06:02 AM
Just me, since the trucks are made to carry a load and be level. There for have the rear higher when empty. I would not be fighting with raising or lower anything part to suit what I like or think is looking better. As this story points out raising the front to look cool cost money, parts and changed the way the truck will look when loaded. Now more money and parts needed to raise the back.
Function is what I want, not what may be cool looking or look better. Lots of money to be made by selling and installing aftermarket add on's that just serve to change looks. Where I lived in Oregon some sales lots only sold cars and trucks with all types of changes to their looks. They always had the younger guys checking them out. But it's their money not mine, so they like it and are willing to pay extra, so be it. As a traffic cop some of those changes get attention and tickets, boy have many be mad when they spent money on a truck/car with illegal changes that looked good.

razor 68
09-03-2020, 06:57 AM
I have air lift bags and they work good as long as you find the correct pressure. too much air and you will lose a tooth filling. the bags are inexpensive- the compressor is the expensive part. my lines t at my bumper and I have a portable 12v compressor. I put a 12v plug on the side of my campers battery box since it is the only time I need to pump them up any. I run 30lbs loaded and drop to 15lbs empty. tried 50lbs at first and stopped 5 miles down the road to let some out. did that a couple times and settled on 30lbs. every rig will be different.

JRTJH
09-03-2020, 07:01 AM
yes the truck had the front end raised to level the truck.
I realize this is why the truck squats now
I like where the front end is now and am wondering if I should use a taller rear block or air bags to help with the truck sagging.

OK, let's start at step 1: The truck sat 2" high in the rear originally, you added 2" lift to the front so the truck sat level. Now you're considering a 4" lift to the rear so the truck will sit level when you hitch the trailer.... Won't that put your front end 2" lower then the rear "again" ?????? That's sort of like the "dog chasing his tail"....

Eventually, you're going to need to raise the trailer to match the truck if you keep adding lift kits..... That is, if you haven't already exceeded the "optimal truck/trailer attitude (when hitched).....

ChuckS
09-07-2020, 09:59 AM
Personally Id remove the front end lift or if the front height torsion bars were adjusted to level truck Id return to stock config... The GMC will sit with a nose low back high unloaded... Id then also add a set or Airlift 5000s ... they arent airbags... quality gear and then if you have a bit of sag compensate with air pressure... I wouldnt own a truck without airlift 5000s

every turn on the torsion bars is 1/8 inch change in front end height

BrooksFam
09-07-2020, 10:15 AM
……...... Id then also add a set or Airlift 5000s ... they arent airbags...…...

I'm confused, they look like air bags, or at least my perception of them. I thought air bags and air springs were synonymous.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Air-Lift/AL57204.html

ChuckS
09-07-2020, 11:52 AM
Typical "Airbags"......

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=54725&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrqez4ufX6wIV0T6tBh2sfADIEAQYASAB EgJof_D_BwE

Airlift 5000 series... not even in the same class ... in my opinion...

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Air-Lift/AL88385.html

Northofu1
09-07-2020, 01:13 PM
*** After further review, I would investigate the 4600 model of Bilstein's as they are an upgrade from the oem brand. 5100's are for lifted or offroad applications.
That said, I would definitely take John's advice, and then remove the lift kit and see where you're at hitched before adding anything. if you're still squatting, then the Air Lift's are the way to go.

tech740
09-07-2020, 02:39 PM
if you are looking to keep the front leveling kit in and make it level while towing you will need air suspension of some sort. Like mentioned above if you add a larger block in the rear you will have the original rake back. I assume you would only do this because the tires that are on the truck are larger than stock and the front leveling kit is required for them to fit appropriately.

BrooksFam
09-08-2020, 02:04 AM
I'm with the OP about a leveled truck, I like the look when unloaded which is 90% of the time for me. That's why I have air springs for towing or hauling when I need a little rear end lift.

GMcKenzie
09-08-2020, 02:06 PM
*** After further review, I would investigate the 4600 model of Bilstein's as they are an upgrade from the oem brand. 5100's are for lifted or offroad applications.
That said, I would definitely take John's advice, and then remove the lift kit and see where you're at hitched before adding anything. if you're still squatting, then the Air Lift's are the way to go.

You can use the 5100's for a truck with no lift. Depending on where you get them, they may be cheaper and easier to get than the 4600's. You just need to keep the fronts at the stock setting.

I'm thinking of getting a set of 5100's and picking the front end up just a little (first notch above stock). Mostly because my air dam grinds on the walkway at work where I park. The little bit would stop that.

Plus I just think the 5100's look better.

Northofu1
09-08-2020, 02:25 PM
After watching videos on the differences, I would go with the 4600's on my truck. It definitely doesn't need raising. The 5100s did make the ride alot nicer on the 1500.

tomd
09-10-2020, 07:49 AM

I have nearly the same trailer,truck. I adjusted the hitch side and with stock front end nearly level. Nose 1/2 inch high if that. Truck is nose down if not loaded, designed to sag the 2” or so. I’d remove front blocks.

stockboro
09-10-2020, 08:23 AM
I have a half ton Silverado that I lifted 2" in the front so it's high enough for my snowplow in the winter. When I pull the RV @ 7,500lbs and a very heavy tongue weight, my Equalizer 4way hitch takes out most all of the rear squat, but the truck's nose still looks a bit high because of the front lift. If I was going to keep this truck longer term, I would definately add air bags for both the additional leveling and better rear-end support. I believe that Firestone makes a bag with internal bumpers so you don't have to keep much or any air in them when unloaded. That would give you a good ride loaded and unloaded.

NevadaRich
09-10-2020, 08:40 AM
I have a 43ft Tow Hauler Trailer and carry about 25k pounds of toys, my Tow Vehicle is a 2019 GMC 3500HD, CC LB when towing the trailer, it didn't need any air shocks, but I also have a large truck camper we use for the snow, so I added airbags this year, Air bags would be the way to go, if you put them on yourself the cost is not bad, if you have to have them put on, in the long run the cost is not bad... I used to have a raised 2013 Chev 3500 and after seeing a few trucks and campers on their side, I don't raise my trucks, the last one I saw was on You Tube..."5th wheel Truck/Trailer flip over" New Truck, New trailer....

danimal
09-10-2020, 03:43 PM
Lowering the pin box will raise the front of your trailer at no cost.

blubuckaroo
09-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Hopefully the OP didn't increase the tire diameter too. That really hurts your towing and braking performance.
All for vanity.:confused:

Todd727
09-10-2020, 09:48 PM
Levelling kits are for people that should've bought cars. There is a reason trucks look the way they do. Anyone that doesn't get that doesn't deserve a truck. As the OP has found out, a leveled truck looks extremely stupid when you actually use it for what it was intended for.

flybouy
09-11-2020, 04:09 AM
It's like that beautiful cake setting on the table under glass. Do you eat it before company arrives or do you just look at the "pretty cake"?

BrooksFam
09-11-2020, 05:46 AM
Levelling kits are for people that should've bought cars. There is a reason trucks look the way they do. Anyone that doesn't get that doesn't deserve a truck. As the OP has found out, a leveled truck looks extremely stupid when you actually use it for what it was intended for.

Wow, tough crowd :nonono: ...… I like my leveled truck :cool:

Oh, BTW, I lower my cars also. Anybody can drive a stock vehicle...….. ;)

77cruiser
09-11-2020, 06:19 AM
I like a personalized rig myself.

sourdough
09-11-2020, 08:20 AM
I used to always "personalize" my rig as well. I didn't make changes for looks or show, I made them to enhance whatever it is that it was supposed to be doing, ie; new ring and pinion ratio, HD shocks/springs, lifts (off road), bigger brakes - that kind of thing. Trying to make a vehicle look "showy" at the expense of being able to do its job (work) correctly seems counterproductive - but that is strictly my opinion and is worth just about as much as the ink used on this post you're reading....nothing!

Javi
09-11-2020, 08:26 AM
Hopefully the OP didn't increase the tire diameter too. That really hurts your towing and braking performance.
All for vanity.:confused:

And fuel mileage :popcorn:

Javi
09-11-2020, 08:31 AM
I used to always "personalize" my rig as well. I didn't make changes for looks or show, I made them to enhance whatever it is that it was supposed to be doing, ie; new ring and pinion ratio, HD shocks/springs, lifts (off road), bigger brakes - that kind of thing. Trying to make a vehicle look "showy" at the expense of being able to do its job (work) correctly seems counterproductive - but that is strictly my opinion and is worth just about as much as the ink used on this post you're reading....nothing!

Yeah.. I personalize mine too... As soon as I've signed the papers and they've handed me the keys... I take the key and scratch the front fender with it.. :whistling: that way it's mine

Kind of like licking all the cookies on the tray... they're yours.. :D

flybouy
09-11-2020, 08:38 AM
Yeah.. I personalize mine too... As soon as I've signed the papers and they've handed me the keys... I take the key and scratch the front fender with it.. :whistling: that way it's mine

Kind of like licking all the cookies on the tray... they're yours.. :D

With the "road shrapnel around here I say take a handful of rocks and throw it at the windshield. A good chip in the windshield and ding in the hood to "christen" it.

BrooksFam
09-11-2020, 10:08 AM
Form does not always compromise function, many times you can have both.

JRTJH
09-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Form does not always compromise function, many times you can have both.

I've found that when using a truck for "heavy towing" it's anywhere from extremely difficult to "damned impossible" to have form AND function.... YMMV

Skillet92
09-11-2020, 08:07 PM

Add the airbags and be done with it. I have a Ram 2500 that I pull my 5th wheel with. I added a leveling kit for the look I wanted. I air mine up when I you're the camper and let the air out when I unhook. I bought a ryobi 18 volt air pump that I keep in the camper. Takes no time..