PDA

View Full Version : Slide out room travel lock

soaz2
09-01-2020, 04:46 PM
We have a 2011 Bullet, 246RBS, and we've found a round aluminum hollow bar about 24 inches long that says Slide Out Room Travel Lock. What's this for and how/where is it used?

Northofu1
09-01-2020, 05:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UyzcTnBnXk

Good info? I don't use one. Looks like if you forgot it and tried to open without removing would cause damage. I have a remote for my slides so I would definitely forget that lock.

chuckster57
09-01-2020, 05:34 PM
If you wanted to use it, it would go behind the top Facia and tighten up against the inner sidewall. I would tie a big piece of bright yarn and let it hang in the interior to remind you it’s there. I did have slide locks on my Jayco and actually forgot once to take them out. The slide stopped moving and the motor started to bind and I instantly remembered.

JRTJH
09-02-2020, 06:06 AM
Although not "the standard use" if ever there was a reason to install a "warning flag" to prevent damage, this is one of those situations....

This type of "Remove Before Flight" streamer (usually tied to safety pins/locks) is an easy to see, hard to ignore type of "warning" that something is there.... At 3"x31", probably well worth the $8.50 cost... Or you could make your own from some "scrap material" around the house....

I definitely would not install that kind of "lock" without having some "fool proof means to not forget it's there".....

flybouy
09-02-2020, 06:11 AM
I'd go one step further. Before using the "slide lock" I'd look up the part number of the trim/whatever you';re placing it against. Use a label maker to print that part number with the words preceding "You just broke part #xxx " and attach said label to said lock.

For me, it wouldn't be a matter of if but when it would happen. YMMV

JRTJH
09-02-2020, 06:17 AM
I'd go one step further. Before using the "slide lock" I'd look up the part number of the trim/whatever you';re placing it against. Use a label maker to print that part number with the words preceding "You just broke part #xxx " and attach said label to said lock.

For me, it wouldn't be a matter of if but when it would happen. YMMV

Or just order a supply of that part number to keep on hand in the trailer (so you've got the replacement for "when it happens".....:popcorn:

flybouy
09-02-2020, 06:54 AM
All joking aside, before I would consider using that I would break out the 12+ feed to the slide switch and install a "missile launch switch" or a switch guard with the words "remove slide lock first" on it. like this
I like to prevent potential issues but not at the expense of creating a "more likely" potential issue. Just my thoughts.

Carrottop
09-02-2020, 12:41 PM
We had those on our Jayco Class C back in 2007. The only time I used them was when my slide motor failed in San Francisco and I had to drive back to Canada with it disengaged. They were a life saver in preventing the slide from wanting to back out while driving. The motor would not hold the slide and it would move from the vibration. I would keep it and use for emergency only.

flybouy
09-02-2020, 12:59 PM
We had those on our Jayco Class C back in 2007. The only time I used them was when my slide motor failed in San Francisco and I had to drive back to Canada with it disengaged. They were a life saver in preventing the slide from wanting to back out while driving. The motor would not hold the slide and it would move from the vibration. I would keep it and use for emergency only.

If I had it I would keep it for emergency as well. I always thought if that happened to us I'd be hacksawing a sacrificial broom on the picnic table. :popcorn:

wiredgeorge
09-02-2020, 03:50 PM
You folks obviously don't see the value of the slide out lock as a racoon repellent! Could double as an in-cabin mouse womper!

BrooksFam
09-03-2020, 05:08 AM
This is what I (came with) had in my MH...….