PDA

View Full Version : Awning groaning

chunker
08-31-2020, 01:12 AM
The front awning when going in or out groans in a couple locations. I'm by myself on the trip so no one else to listen and troubleshoot. My first thought was dry gas struts so I sprayed them yesterday along with the hinge points I could reach and ran the awning in/out a couple times. Now sounds like the noise comes from the shaft into the awning roller on each side. I don't have the phone app working yet so while standing inside it's difficult to ID the source of the groaning sound. Rainy day forecast so maybe I'll try the download of the in command app again. Also if I do ID the noise source what is the best lubricant for that part of the awning?

chuckster57
08-31-2020, 02:10 AM
Any dry lube, as it won’t attract dirt.

chunker
08-31-2020, 04:27 AM
Any dry lube, as it won’t attract dirt.

Thanks I'll get the ladder out and see if I can get some lube on the ends of the awning roller. I'll try the teflon variety first

Wyldfire
08-31-2020, 05:33 AM
Do you bring it in and out in one continuous motion? If so I'd bet the hydraulic cylinder is wore out. Need to start and stop a couple of time when opening and closing to let cylinder pressures equalise and not put extra pressure on its seal.

chunker
08-31-2020, 05:44 AM
Do you bring it in and out in one continuous motion? If so I'd bet the hydraulic cylinder is wore out. Need to start and stop a couple of time when opening and closing to let cylinder pressures equalise and not put extra pressure on its seal.

The cylinders are gas springs, not hydraulic cylinders. As such they are rated at various pound resistance and there is no equalization of pressure in them. Not like a shock absorber with valves.

Wyldfire
08-31-2020, 05:48 AM
https://youtu.be/IHGXbP-D5U0

chunker
08-31-2020, 05:55 AM

Thanks interesting info.

chuckster57
08-31-2020, 06:51 AM

Interesting video, however in my years and given the number of awnings I have opened/closed in one shot I haven’t had a failure of a gas shock yet. I’ll keep doing it the same way I always have...to each his own.

Nerd= expert???

travelin texans
08-31-2020, 08:17 AM
Interesting video, however in my years and given the number of awnings I have opened/closed in one shot I haven’t had a failure of a gas shock yet. I’ll keep doing it the same way I always have...to each his own.

Nerd= expert???

I'd have agree!
I have replaced a couple struts, but wasn't due to groaning, they just ran out of gas I would say, when extending would let the awning just drop out rather than ease out.
Nerd = Rv salesman with lips moving!!!

wiredgeorge
08-31-2020, 08:46 AM

Nerd= expert???

The connotation for nerd has obviously morphed into tech expert rather than... well I remember what nerds were 50 plus years ago when I was in school... they were the guys the football players wanted to sit next to and copy off of when taking a test.

flybouy
08-31-2020, 09:42 AM

What????? Those are the same type of gas struts that are on MILLIONS of car hatchbacks, car hoods, boat hatches, boat engine covers, the back window of my truck cap, the bathroom door on my camper and the bed lift support on my camper, as well as the power awning.

I have never "stopped partway in extending or retracting" any gas strut assisted device. I don't attempt to "force" the gas struts closed rapidly as I wouldn't want to place that much force on the strut attachments. Unless they have drastically "increased the speed and torque" of electric awning motors I don't see this as an issue.

Our 8 yr old electric awning is all original and I extend/retract it without stopping in-between. I see no need to alter that procedure. Others may have a differing opinion.