PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

DanielH
08-30-2020, 01:34 PM
Not knowing it but when I pulled away from my 29RKS the break away cord was tangled on the tail gate and pulled the brake-away apart. I put it back together and thought all was ok but now the brakes on the trailer are not working. I took the truck to the dealer to make sure it was not a brake controller issue but it checked out ok. Is there a fuse the on the trailer that could have blown? Any ideas welcome!

chuckster57
08-30-2020, 03:28 PM
If the break away switch pin was pulled for long time, it could have caused damage to the brake circuit.

I would start at the junction box where the trailer 7 way cord is connected. Look for the BLUE wire. The blue from the cord should be connected to the blue wire going to the trailer.

The break away wiring should go from the hot (black) to the break away switch and then to the blue.

If all of that is intact, then is possible you burnt some wiring at the drums. Post back what you find and if all looks good, you’ll need a test light for the next set of tests.

DanielH
08-30-2020, 06:41 PM
If the break away switch pin was pulled for long time, it could have caused damage to the brake circuit.

I would start at the junction box where the trailer 7 way cord is connected. Look for the BLUE wire. The blue from the cord should be connected to the blue wire going to the trailer.

The break away wiring should go from the hot (black) to the break away switch and then to the blue.

If all of that is intact, then is possible you burnt some wiring at the drums. Post back what you find and if all looks good, you’ll need a test light for the next set of tests.

I will check this tomorrow but the break away pin was only pulled about a minute before I replace it