PDA

View Full Version : Low AC flow in middle bunk room LAREDO 380MB

jlnrv4life
08-29-2020, 06:59 AM
Laredo 380MB. I am having very low AC flow in my mid bunk bedroom. I do see the duct there being very small but I want to check the ducting and make sure is not kinked or leaking. I don't see any other areas sweating or with condensation. I had this question when i bought it and the dealer said that's the way it is. I really don't think they did anything. Does anybody know how to access this duct? or a ducting diagram? Thank you.

flybouy
08-29-2020, 07:24 AM
Laredo 380MB. I am having very low AC flow in my mid bunk bedroom. I do see the duct there being very small but I want to check the ducting and make sure is not kinked or leaking. I don't see any other areas sweating or with condensation. I had this question when i bought it and the dealer said that's the way it is. I really don't think they did anything. Does anybody know how to access this duct? or a ducting diagram? Thank you.

What year is your camper? When I look at the 2020 floor plan I don't see any "mid bunk bedroom" . How many a/c units do you have? Exactly where is the condensation forming? That would indicate to me that hot air is meeting the cold air so there's an air infiltration (leak) somewhere.

As for "ducting diagram" I'm not aware of any. Typically the newer units have a "race track" ducting which means the 2 a/c units dump cold air into the same ducting that runs in an oval shape in the ceining.

jlnrv4life
08-29-2020, 08:16 AM
What year is your camper? When I look at the 2020 floor plan I don't see any "mid bunk bedroom" . How many a/c units do you have? Exactly where is the condensation forming? That would indicate to me that hot air is meeting the cold air so there's an air infiltration (leak) somewhere.

As for "ducting diagram" I'm not aware of any. Typically the newer units have a "race track" ducting which means the 2 a/c units dump cold air into the same ducting that runs in an oval shape in the ceining.

2018, 2 ac units, no condensation. It could be that the 2-3" ducting is not cutting it? That is correct, both ACs feed the same duct although I get a little more flow out of the bedroom AC than the one in the Main area.

JRTJH
08-29-2020, 08:40 AM
The "racetrack" ducting system typically runs in a straight line (front to back) on each side of the centerline, in the trailer ceiling space. You can remove the current A/C vent grill (they simply pop off) and use a flashlight/inspection mirror to confirm exactly where the ducting is located. Once you "know for sure" where the duct is located, you can cut another 5.25" hole (the A/C ceiling vents are slightly over 5" with a "trim ring" making them 6.5" in diameter, not the 2-3" you stated in your comments.

It really boils down to not having enough "vent area" in that room. Close the door and it further compounds airflow, making the space an "overheated closet".

Add another supply vent and you should see a marked improvement.

wiredgeorge
08-29-2020, 09:32 AM

https://www.rvt.com/Keystone-Laredo-380MB-2020-New-Ulm-MN-ID9062064-UX351365

Here is a mid-bunk bedroom; a closet with a pocket door. The A/C doesn't have a chance unless there is a return as it can't push cool air into a closet with no vent. Maybe cut a hole in the pocket door or someplace else in this "bedroom" and install a vent. There is also a ladder to get on top of the closet bedroom and another bunk up there. Kind of a neat feature allowing a bit of privacy for older kids (in bedroom) with their younger siblings up in that loft area. I hope that bed is more comfy that the typical RV pullout bed.

jlnrv4life
08-31-2020, 04:00 PM
OK, I got access to the mid bunk ducting!!. I went to the loft on top of the mid bunk and took out the wooden frame box where you see the 2 shelves next to the electrical plug outlets. Easy to remove, 4 screws only and it slides out. If you look in there you will see the main duct on the ceiling (top). There is a 4" flange adapter with the 4" ducting that communicates the main RV duct to the bottom floor of the loft which is the ceiling of the mid bunk room ending to the small vent there. The ducting is aprox 2-2.5 ft. long. Sooo, before I even attempt to cut bigger holes and make the ducting bigger or/and maybe do a split to 2 vents and add a 2nd vent I'm going to add a small duct fan. Amazon has a couple from $15 - $20. I ordered 2 types. I'll test both fans and pick the better one (flow and noise) and update more pictures once everything is done. Also, since the back of the electrical outlet is right there next to that opening and you have full access to the back and the 120v wires, I'm planning to tap in and install a remote switch in there. More to come.

slow
08-31-2020, 06:28 PM
Change out as much of the flexible duct as you can with straight ducting and you will experience a noticeable improvement in air flow. The ribbed flex hose is very restrictive.