PDA

View Full Version : Those Campground Signs...

jsb5717
08-27-2020, 12:56 PM
This might fall under the category of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I don't even want to speculate...:ermm:

Ken / Claudia
08-27-2020, 01:11 PM
Wait til you see the sign "Humps Ahead."
Yeah that's seems to be the PC word for bumps.

Bill-2020
08-28-2020, 05:28 AM
It may be similar to which area of the country you live in/visit. For example, do you have a pop or a soda with that hot dog? Or do you have supper or dinner?

flybouy
08-28-2020, 05:52 AM
It may be similar to which area of the country you live in/visit. For example, do you have a pop or a soda with that hot dog? Or do you have supper or dinner?

So true, in one section of road near here they put small islands in the center of the road shifting the travel lane to the right and installed speed bumps. The signs state "Speed control devices ahead". I asked a friend who works for the county road dept about the verbiage. He said there was a stigma with "speed bump" that folks equated with "trailer park" which also haven't been used for 40-50 years.

Getn off
08-28-2020, 05:55 AM
Officially, Speed Bumps are narrower and tall, which you must slow to nearly a stop to not get jarred. Speed Humps, on the other hand, are much wider and made to travel over about 15 mph.
Mystery solved!
Btw, Humps are more common in many other countries as apposed to the Speed Bumps that are most common in the US.
Troy

jsb5717
08-28-2020, 06:20 AM
This is the first "Speed Humps" sign I've seen...anywhere. I guess I need to get out more. If you take these particular "Speed Humps" at 15 MPH you'll need dental work.

hankpage
08-28-2020, 07:40 AM
Here in SW Florida we have both. The first "Speed Hump" sign I saw was on the road to my Cardiologist. When I asked if they had replaced the treadmill with equipment that was lower impact for stress tests I just got a blank stare. :nonono:
Or was it installed on a Wednesday by "MIKE, Mike, Mike".
Or did it have anything to do with the age of the folks in the neighborhood. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587
The older bumps seem to have more damage from rear ends dragging.
The DW is right ... I do have too much time on my hands.

Sarge2
08-28-2020, 07:56 AM
In Michigan can't recall seeing any Speed Humps....only Speed Bumps.. And in Michigan, all of the roads basically are speed bumps, pot holes and as I like to call some of the pot holes.... Basements... :D
Sarge

flybouy
08-28-2020, 08:09 AM
In Michigan can't recall seeing any Speed Humps....only Speed Bumps.. And in Michigan, all of the roads basically are speed bumps, pot holes and as I like to call some of the pot holes.... Basements... :D
Sarge

Sarge, back when they found Saddam Hussein in a "spider hole" I said good Lord, he's been hiding here, in plain sight, in the middle of the road for decades!:lol:

SummitPond
08-28-2020, 08:37 AM
This sign was at the Rockview Valley Campground in Montague, NJ.

Sarge2
08-28-2020, 08:46 AM
Sarge, back when they found Saddam Hussein in a "spider hole" I said good Lord, he's been hiding here, in plain sight, in the middle of the road for decades!:lol:

That's Funny!!:lol:

Sarge2
08-28-2020, 08:47 AM

Don't think even my digital speedometer reads in Half miles per hour...:lol:

razor 68
08-28-2020, 09:06 AM
I live in mid Illinois so the only difference between paved and gravel roads is the amount of dust.

jsb5717
08-28-2020, 10:03 AM

Do you get cited at 3 1/2? :angel:

Sarge2
08-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Naw!! Only if you are over the halfway mark... you know.. like doing 35 in a 25... if you were 30 probably won't get stopped...
so 3.5 divided by 2 = 1.75 + 3.5 = 5.5 you'd be cited.... :lol:

sourdough
08-28-2020, 01:51 PM
This is the first "Speed Humps" sign I've seen...anywhere. I guess I need to get out more. If you take these particular "Speed Humps" at 15 MPH you'll need dental work.

Never saw speed "humps" either until FL. Ours here in TX are "bumps" that I've seen; pretty narrow and sort of tall with scrape marks on the tops. We take puppy for a walk daily at a little lake where you have to drive down a street to get to the access. The first time we saw the sign we laughed thinking someone had fouled up; but we have seen more so it wasn't a mistake. Unlike the bumps in TX these are maybe 4" high with nice rounded edges and maybe 3' wide; nothing like the jolts you get on the TX style. I've been over it so many times now I've found the truck likes the "hump" at anything up to 20, after that it will jar you.

tubacjohn
09-03-2020, 08:03 AM
"Topes" is the correct word here near Mexico.

tubacjohn
09-03-2020, 08:04 AM
That is "no-wake speed!

LewisB
09-03-2020, 08:42 AM
Maybe this is too big of a shift in subject matter for this thread, but most speed hump and other speed associated signs are intended to get you to slow down. In the Southwest, we sometime encounter signs intended to get you to speed up!

LHaven
09-03-2020, 09:00 AM
That, and the one that says, "prison area, do not pick up hitchhikers."

ingram
09-03-2020, 09:08 AM
A sign we encountered in south GA. Did this mean only campers could swim? I tried to get my wife to take a swim, but, no luck.

jsb5717
09-03-2020, 11:51 AM
Perhaps the gators are employees of the park and will not eat the paying guests. They could also be hired to monitor camp-only restrooms and showers.

alnbobby
09-03-2020, 12:09 PM
In Australia those humps are called ‘sleeping policemen”.

LHaven
09-03-2020, 12:19 PM
Fishing and dumping bodies only.

Sarge2
09-03-2020, 05:20 PM
In Australia those humps are called ‘sleeping policemen”.

Things get a bit slow down under?! What cop in their right minds would fall asleep on duty with things happening like they are now? :facepalm:

rjrelander
09-03-2020, 07:26 PM
Not at the campground but on the road leading to Doris Campground in southwest Oklahoma, going through Fort Sill Military Reservation. :eek: :)

Sarge2
09-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Talk about a flashback that could cause.... "In Coming!!" :hide:

sourdough
09-04-2020, 02:43 PM
A sign we encountered in south GA. Did this mean only campers could swim? I tried to get my wife to take a swim, but, no luck.

Speaking of gator signs, here's a pic I took at a lake I take puppy to every day in FL. It is full of gators and at night you can see little red eyes all over the place. This gator is right under the sign (almost-you need to enlarge). He was maybe 6' long waiting for someone that couldn't read I guess. That same year a fellow decided to throw toys in the lake for his dog to fetch just around the corner....puppy didn't come back after one of the tosses.

Bill-2020
09-04-2020, 04:05 PM
Speaking of gator signs, here's a pic I took at a lake I take puppy to every day in FL. It is full of gators and at night you can see little red eyes all over the place. This gator is right under the sign (almost-you need to enlarge). He was maybe 6' long waiting for someone that couldn't read I guess. That same year a fellow decided to throw toys in the lake for his dog to fetch just around the corner....puppy didn't come back after one of the tosses.

What kind of an ... would toss the dogs toy in like that. An idiot, that’s what!

JRTJH
09-04-2020, 04:15 PM
What kind of an ... would toss the dogs toy in like that. An idiot, that’s what!

Every year, down around Cameron, LA, some duck hunter "loses a prize retriever"... There is "one road into Cameron, along the bayous. If you're not careful, you'll run over an alligator (or more than one) laying in the road "sunning".... They crawl up on the shoulders of the road, out of the swamp, to warm themselves. At night, most people slow to 45 or less, for fear of running over one and losing control of their car. The LAST place you want to be is in the bayou, at night, after running off the road.....

Anyway, duck hunters "accept the risk" that their prize retriever may not make it back with the duck they just shot..... More than "a few" good dogs have met their fate in the marsh around Cameron......

Harried Harry
09-06-2020, 09:55 PM
Darn! I've been in dangerous places (Okinawa, Turkey, bars, etc.) but having the local wildlife hanging around your campsite is crazy. Of course, the guy who enticed his dog to go swim with the gators is darn crazy.

Having artillery fire going over would cause some people issues. If it just keeps going, not so bad, but if you hear the sound change.....

CWtheMan
09-07-2020, 02:45 AM
Beaver Dam CG.