PDA

View Full Version : New member from North Carolina

Swampdollar
08-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone, My wife and I are in the market for a new RV. We've narrowed the search down on travel trailer layouts we like. I'm just starting to look at half-ton 5th wheels. I don't mind saying it's overwhelming trying to determine the comfortable amount of towing capacity we're going to be happy with! I hope this forum can help.

Chris P
08-24-2020, 04:07 PM
Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, Many of questions will be asked about the tow vehicle etc. More truck is always better then less truck.

sourdough
08-24-2020, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone, My wife and I are in the market for a new RV. We've narrowed the search down on travel trailer layouts we like. I'm just starting to look at half-ton 5th wheels. I don't mind saying it's overwhelming trying to determine the comfortable amount of towing capacity we're going to be happy with! I hope this forum can help.

Welcome to the forum! You are about to enter a pretty fun experience if you always keep tow factors in mind...far too many don't. If you have an existing truck or trailer please specify so we can help. If it is a 1/2 ton there is no such thing as a "1/2 ton towable" 5th wheel out there in reality. If you have neither and money isn't an issue you will have a field day. If you have one or the other then you need to fit whatever you buy to the existing truck/RV which CAN get a bit overwhelming. We're here to help so let us know.

Swampdollar
08-24-2020, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I've been leaning away from them, I've only seen one that I know is doable and that was the Elite 5.0, but that thing is Tiny! People keep saying that the 5th wheel tows so much better, and it does IF you have a heavy duty truck! I just don't feel a half ton has the structure to handle the mass!

sourdough
08-24-2020, 05:59 PM
I'm assuming you have a 1/2 ton? If so take the 5vrs off the list. Look at the sticker inside the driver door (usually yellow white) and post that along with the other gray/black sticker and you can get some info that is more accurate.

Gary R.
08-24-2020, 10:11 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I will agree with the posts above. And, as Danny states, a picture of that white and yellow sticker will help.

Good luck and stay safe!