PDA

View Full Version : Bent Jack Foot Pad

Texastoyhauler
08-23-2020, 05:35 PM
I have a foot pad that is bent on one of our leveling jacks. They are the approx 9” diameter round foot pads. Seems like a quick replacement is readily available, but when I went to unscrew the single bolt that holds the foot pad to shaft... the shaft spins with it. I tried (very gently) to hold shaft with channel locks but was starting to scar the shaft. I’m not sure how critical the bottom 1/2” of that shaft is to not have any scarring from pliers, but I don’t want to mark it up and cause a problem. Does anyone have any experience changing out a foot pad, that can give some guidance? Thank you!!

bobbecky
08-23-2020, 08:48 PM
I've had to tighten the bolts on our hydraulic jack pads, and instead of trying to grab the ram with pliers, i put a open end/box end wrench on the bolt, and using a ball peen hammer firmly tapped the end of the wrench and the bolts have never loosened. You can do the opposite to remove the bolts. I believe the head of the bolts are 13/16". There is sufficient friction from the seals, plus enough mass of the ram itself that this works.

Texastoyhauler
08-24-2020, 05:02 AM
I've had to tighten the bolts on our hydraulic jack pads, and instead of trying to grab the ram with pliers, i put a open end/box end wrench on the bolt, and using a ball peen hammer firmly tapped the end of the wrench and the bolts have never loosened. You can do the opposite to remove the bolts. I believe the head of the bolts are 13/16". There is sufficient friction from the seals, plus enough mass of the ram itself that this works.

Thanks, I may try that

ChuckS
08-24-2020, 11:45 AM
If your leveling system is hyd the pad bolt was .. or should have been installed with loctite and about 130 ft lbs of torque. You have to put a rag on the outer piston and keep it from spinning on you while you break that torque to remove the bolt. A good quality strap wrench will hold the piston without scarring the surface

An impact wrench makes this a 10 minute job.

Texastoyhauler
08-24-2020, 11:51 AM
If your leveling system is hyd the pad bolt was .. or should have been installed with loctite and about 130 ft lbs of torque. You have to put a rag on the outer piston and keep it from spinning on you while you break that torque to remove the bolt. A good quality strap wrench will hold the piston without scarring the surface

An impact wrench makes this a 10 minute job.

Thank you!!!

Jshopes81
08-26-2020, 06:52 AM
Ill 2nd the use of an impact gun. I use one on my mower blades that ride in bearings and even without a belt to hold it back i can just zip it right off.

rlh1957
08-28-2020, 02:39 PM
I have a foot pad that is bent on one of our leveling jacks. They are the approx 9” diameter round foot pads. Seems like a quick replacement is readily available, but when I went to unscrew the single bolt that holds the foot pad to shaft... the shaft spins with it. I tried (very gently) to hold shaft with channel locks but was starting to scar the shaft. I’m not sure how critical the bottom 1/2” of that shaft is to not have any scarring from pliers, but I don’t want to mark it up and cause a problem. Does anyone have any experience changing out a foot pad, that can give some guidance? Thank you!!

Where do I find the 9” replacement rear jack pads. I also have bent pad from my 2020 Cougar jacks so low, even when retracted.

Texastoyhauler
08-28-2020, 02:46 PM
Where do I find the 9” replacement rear jack pads. I also have bent pad from my 2020 Cougar jacks so low, even when retracted.

Dealer is ordering it under warranty, since mine was bent when I bought it off lot. But I saw them available on etrailer.com and maybe even amazon. Searched: lippert jack foot pad