PDA

View Full Version : Best rated surge protector 30 amp

KenG
08-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Hey guys, looking for recommendation on best surge protector 30.amp with Bluetooth capabilities. Thanks

sourdough
08-21-2020, 05:28 PM
Realize there is a difference, BIG difference, between a surge protector and an EMS. A surge protector for an RV is basically useless. The only thing I've found with bluetooth capability after a quick scan is a surge protector, not an EMS.

I would highly recommend and EMS and highly discourage an ordinary "surge protector". The 2 most popular brands of EMS seem to be the Progressive EMS and the Surge Guard by Southwire. Both do worlds more than a "surge protector" can come in hardwired versions that provide a monitor inside the RV and the Surge Guard has a wireless remote for their portable EMS if that works. If the only options I had was a "surge protector" with bluetooth vs an EMS of any kind, bluetooth won't happen.

chuckster57
08-21-2020, 06:06 PM
Realize there is a difference, BIG difference, between a surge protector and an EMS. A surge protector for an RV is basically useless. The only thing I've found with bluetooth capability after a quick scan is a surge protector, not an EMS.

I would highly recommend and EMS and highly discourage an ordinary "surge protector". The 2 most popular brands of EMS seem to be the Progressive EMS and the Surge Guard by Southwire. Both do worlds more than a "surge protector" and can come in hardwired versions that provide a monitor inside the RV and the Surge Guard has a wireless remote for their portable EMS if that works. If the only options I had was a "surge protector" with bluetooth vs an EMS of any kind, bluetooth won't happen.
I agree, I have a progressive 30A hard wired with a remote display. Portable is just as good, but in the end ANY EMS is better than any surge protector IMO.

wiredgeorge
08-21-2020, 08:48 PM
I don't think the Progressive 30A that hangs on the power pedestal is blue tooth. Geesh I hate that stuff. I am moving into a cave next week btw...

KenG
08-22-2020, 03:55 AM
Thank you, I agree with you. Looks like the progressive brand is the best option with ems.

BrooksFam
08-22-2020, 06:18 AM
Camping World has their surge protectors and EM's on sale right now.

SummitPond
08-22-2020, 06:57 AM
^^^ I second, third and fourth the above motion re: EMS.

Ours I know has saved our bacon wrt reversed polarity once and several times with undervoltage conditions. While we were not running the air conditioner at that time, the EMS would have prevented overheating and possible early compressor failure in that situation.

KenG
08-22-2020, 07:51 AM
Thanks, I just purchased from United RV, there pricing was better.

Gumby52
08-22-2020, 08:15 AM
EMS is definitely the only option for me. Last weekend trip out with a group of friends - the cg was packed, and really hot and humid all weekend. A/C's on all over. Needless to say, the cg electrical was not up to the load. Voltage kept dropping below 99. My Southwire saved my bacon that weekend.:bow:

GMcKenzie
08-24-2020, 01:45 PM
Hardwired progressive with the display for me. Display is above the fridge in plain sight, except from the bedroom. I can never forget to plug it in.

dutchmensport
08-24-2020, 02:27 PM
The only one I know of that has BlueTooth capability is the Hughes Autofoamer. Click here (https://hughesautoformers.com/). I now have a 30 amp Hughes, but the phone app changed and for some reason, I can't pair it with my phone any more. But the autofoamer works very well. Mine is the portable one that plugs in at the power source.

Fast backwards! Two weeks after purchasing the Hughes, we traded campers for a 50 amp Fifth Wheel. I debated what to do, but decided to keep the Hughes for those times I might have to plug into a 30 amp with a 30 to 50 adapter. And actually, we have been in that situation a couple times, so was glad I hung onto the autofoamer.

Meanwhile, we did purchase a 50 amp Progressive portable EMS we use all the time. We installed a 50 amp hook-up at home, so it's been plugged in constantly for 2 years now. (we also now have 2 - thirty Amp hook ups at home too.

The Progressive also makes a 30 amp EMS, (portable and hard wired in the camper). But, none of the Progressive systems are equipped with BlueTooth technology.

The other popular "surge protector" is the SurgeGuard.

Here's an on-line article I stumbled into that gives a comparason between 10 different systems. Click Here (https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-surge-protectors-reviewed/)

But I think, the largest percentage of RV owners favor Progressive over all the others. (I'm only guessing, based on the vast number of posts I've read over many, many years now).

We've owned 3 different ones. 30 amp portable Surge Guard (lasted 1 year and died). Progressive portable ... got stolen (no, not at a campground), replaced with another Progressive portable, but wired inside the camper. Swapped it out for a Hughes, so I could have the BlueTooth functionality, and gave the Progressive away to a new camper owner (a friend). Then got the 50 amp camper and just stuck with Progressive 50 amp then. Not Blue Tooth, but really, not necessary either. All the read-outs are displayed, and when plugging in initially, if the power is messed up, you know it immediately. It does take about 2 minutes after pluggin in to when the Progressive turns power on to the camper. Nice feature to protect the air-conditioner.

wiredgeorge
08-24-2020, 03:04 PM
The only one I know of that has BlueTooth capability is the Hughes Autofoamer. Click here (https://hughesautoformers.com/). I now have a 30 amp Hughes, but the phone app changed and for some reason, I can't pair it with my phone any more. But the autofoamer works very well. Mine is the portable one that plugs in at the power source.

Fast backwards! Two weeks after purchasing the Hughes, we traded campers for a 50 amp Fifth Wheel. I debated what to do, but decided to keep the Hughes for those times I might have to plug into a 30 amp with a 30 to 50 adapter. And actually, we have been in that situation a couple times, so was glad I hung onto the autofoamer.

Meanwhile, we did purchase a 50 amp Progressive portable EMS we use all the time. We installed a 50 amp hook-up at home, so it's been plugged in constantly for 2 years now. (we also now have 2 - thirty Amp hook ups at home too.

The Progressive also makes a 30 amp EMS, (portable and hard wired in the camper). But, none of the Progressive systems are equipped with BlueTooth technology.

The other popular "surge protector" is the SurgeGuard.

Here's an on-line article I stumbled into that gives a comparason between 10 different systems. Click Here (https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-surge-protectors-reviewed/)

But I think, the largest percentage of RV owners favor Progressive over all the others. (I'm only guessing, based on the vast number of posts I've read over many, many years now).

We've owned 3 different ones. 30 amp portable Surge Guard (lasted 1 year and died). Progressive portable ... got stolen (no, not at a campground), replaced with another Progressive portable, but wired inside the camper. Swapped it out for a Hughes, so I could have the BlueTooth functionality, and gave the Progressive away to a new camper owner (a friend). Then got the 50 amp camper and just stuck with Progressive 50 amp then. Not Blue Tooth, but really, not necessary either. All the read-outs are displayed, and when plugging in initially, if the power is messed up, you know it immediately. It does take about 2 minutes after pluggin in to when the Progressive turns power on to the camper. Nice feature to protect the air-conditioner.

I think the reason the Progressive EMS seems so popular isn't because it has any real advantage (perhaps it does; I own a 30A) but because only recently have the Hughes or SurgeGuard started popping up on the market more frequently. Maybe they have been around but just a few years ago didn't see them mentioned; only Progressive. The Bluetooth feature seems to be gaining popularity; but NOT for me. I have Bluetooth on my soundbar and my car stereo and if I could ever figure out how to make one of those work might consider other Bluetooth gizmos but so far I am 0 for 2 on Bluetooth so best just go out and look at our EMS if the power goes off while camping. This is my second Progressive and the first died after about two years of use and they send me a new one ricky-tick, no questions asked (bought it on eBay).

sourdough
08-24-2020, 04:33 PM
I think the reason the Progressive EMS seems so popular isn't because it has any real advantage (perhaps it does; I own a 30A) but because only recently have the Hughes or SurgeGuard started popping up on the market more frequently. Maybe they have been around but just a few years ago didn't see them mentioned; only Progressive. The Bluetooth feature seems to be gaining popularity; but NOT for me. I have Bluetooth on my soundbar and my car stereo and if I could ever figure out how to make one of those work might consider other Bluetooth gizmos but so far I am 0 for 2 on Bluetooth so best just go out and look at our EMS if the power goes off while camping. This is my second Progressive and the first died after about two years of use and they send me a new one ricky-tick, no questions asked (bought it on eBay).

I think the Progressive gained popularity for the lifetime warranty which Surge Guard did not provide. Surge Guard has now picked up their game and offers the same warranty plus a wireless remote and fault monitoring past the EMS unit into the trailer. There is a good comparison on TechnoRV? I believe. I just don't like the front of the Progressive portable but to each his own - they both do a great job at what they are supposed to do.

Topglock
08-30-2020, 08:01 AM
I use a Hughes Power watchdog 30amp with EPO. The Hughes also has replaceable surge modules. I love that I can monitor my amps before I pop a breaker. With the AC and running the water heater on electric, doesn’t leave many amps available.

sonofcy
08-30-2020, 08:06 AM

I would highly recommend and EMS and highly discourage an ordinary "surge protector". The 2 most popular brands of EMS seem to be the Progressive EMS and the Surge Guard by Southwire. Both do worlds more than a "surge protector" can come in hardwired versions that provide a monitor inside the RV and the Surge Guard has a wireless remote for their portable EMS if that works. If the only options I had was a "surge protector" with bluetooth vs an EMS of any kind, bluetooth won't happen.

The Hughes Power Watchdog is an EMS with Bluetooth. Famous for the autoformer but also now several models of EMS. I have the autoformer feeding the 50A EMS with Bluetooth. Swapped out my old Progressive Industries 50A.

jdgore92
08-30-2020, 05:15 PM
I know a lot of folks poo poo the idea of a surge guard alone. But last week, a plain old surge guard saved my bacon. I was plugged in to the house and we had a bad electrical storm. The surge suppressor certainly did it's job and prevented damage to the 5er. Now to be fair, I did replace it with the Hughes Power Watchdog EPO. See attached photos for the "used up" surge guard.

sourdough
08-30-2020, 05:45 PM
I know a lot of folks poo poo the idea of a surge guard alone. But last week, a plain old surge guard saved my bacon. I was plugged in to the house and we had a bad electrical storm. The surge suppressor certainly did it's job and prevented damage to the 5er. Now to be fair, I did replace it with the Hughes Power Watchdog EPO. See attached photos for the "used up" surge guard.

Your "surge guard" accomplished the one, and only, mission it had - a surge from an electrical storm. An EMS does far, far more. They have their place, somewhere, but not for an RV plugging into unknown electrical supplies all over the country.

Folkie
08-30-2020, 07:22 PM
Hey guys, looking for recommendation on best surge protector 30.amp with Bluetooth capabilities. Thanks

We have the Southwire Surge Guard 30A Model 34931. It has a remote bluetooth display module that you can put inside the camper to check the status and see how many amps you are using. Helpful if you are using air conditioning and other things on 120V and decide you need to use the microwave. Lets you know if you need to shed loads to prevent blowing the breaker before making that popcorn. :popcorn:

wiredgeorge
08-30-2020, 07:29 PM
I have an old camper with 30A service and put a Marinco outlet on the rear of my camper and connected it directly to the microwave. Plug the outlet into the 15A outlet on a pedestal and never worry that crisping the bacon while the A/C is pumping is going to pop a circuit breaker. I am not sure how much OEMs save by putting 30A supplied converters in rather than 50A but every camper we have owned (all 30A) wished we had 50A.