PDA

View Full Version : Removing jackknife couch

gmer140
08-21-2020, 05:02 AM
I have a 2013 Passport 199ML 21.75 ft long. I would like to either put a pullout couch or build a kitchenette after removal of jackknife, which is very uncomfortable. Looking underneath I see the slide apparatus attached.
Has anyone done this project? What did you install? How does the slide gearing attach? I see Keystone made both couch and dinette options, and still do in current model. I called company and they said they can't advise on reno work. Thanks, Gary

QCMan
08-21-2020, 02:32 PM
Didn't change the layout but did remove the couch to put in nicer carpet on a previous trailer and it consisted of finding the hidden screws that held it down. Some couch disassembly was required to accomplish the task. Be careful when adding the new parts as slides do not have a lot of clearance under them and screws that are too long will do a job on your floor.

wiredgeorge
08-21-2020, 03:49 PM
I have a 2013 Passport 199ML 21.75 ft long. I would like to either put a pullout couch or build a kitchenette after removal of jackknife, which is very uncomfortable. Looking underneath I see the slide apparatus attached.
Has anyone done this project? What did you install? How does the slide gearing attach? I see Keystone made both couch and dinette options, and still do in current model. I called company and they said they can't advise on reno work. Thanks, Gary

We removed a pull out sleeper couch and there was nothing holding it in place. Once you got behind our couch the top section slid out of the base and both top/bottom out the door. If the jackknife is attached, it won't be in the back as I think the thing needs some room for the pivot. I would look for screws on the sides or front if it is connected to the floor in some way. I would try tipping it up first to see if it is connected. If you get it loose, I think perhaps if you open it up, it will go out the door on its side as the back will no long present an "L" profile. When you get this sorted, post a write up on the details. I could never understand a 60" or 65" jackknife sofa unless you had some kids using it.