PDA

View Full Version : Question about caulk

dalamarjj78
08-20-2020, 03:04 PM
Newbie question here. We picked up our new travel trailer last week and I just noticed a section of caulk at the back corner of the trailer separated and appears to be an entry point for water.

Instead of messing with going to the dealership for something so minor I thought I'd just recaulk it myself and have them address it during our 90 day check-up.

But my question...is the thick black caulk a "special" kind of caulk? Or is it something I can easily pick up at a Lowes or Home Depot?

chuckster57
08-20-2020, 03:12 PM
Hard to tell, but it’s probably pro seal. You can get it on-line or at any RV parts store. I wouldn’t use Sika Flex, as it can be very hard to deal with after it sets up.

Bill-2020
08-20-2020, 06:25 PM
James, you have a 2021 MY trailer -It seems as though Keystone has switched to silicone on some models in the past few years. My 2020 Passport is all silicone on those areas like you show. Roof is sealed with Dicor and windows are butyl tape, but everything else is dang silicone. You may have a bit of a time with Pro seal - I'm not sure if it will adhere to the silicone, if it is silicone. I know mine is silicone, unfortunately . I've sealed up a couple of spots like that. Lowes and home depot have black silicone if that's what you end up needing.

dalamarjj78
08-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the pro seal first and hopefully that's what I need. I do see where a lot of clear silicone was used around the outside of the trailer but the black stuff that separated feels a lot different. It's much softer, almost like tar.

Bill-2020
08-20-2020, 07:32 PM
James,
Sounds like your rolling up your sleeves and getting a feel for things (no pun intended there, can ya tell?). Good deal. My Passport has both black and clear silicone. Easily distinguished by the feel of it. Wish it was pro seal. Just used a bit of clear pro seal on the camper top rear window frame as a matter of fact. Enjoy that new rig and keep your eyes peeled like you already have for any other little problems - you'll stay ahead of the game that way.

Bill