PDA

View Full Version : Pin Box Height Brain Teaser

Javi
08-18-2020, 08:58 AM
When I picked up the Avalanche they hooked it up for me and pulled it around to the front for us to take it home. We had already done the PDI and were happy and ready to go in the 100 degree heat so that was cool. I looked the coupling over, checked that it had a good 6" of clearance and checked the lights..

Brought it home, backed it into the storage building; hot, tired, and ready for a cold drink. I raised the front until the green light in the middle of the panel lite up and we went home..

When I came back to hook it up for the first trip I noticed that I had to really lower the front a lot to match the hitch.. Went ahead and hooked up (105 in the shade) did pull test, checked lights, clearance still good at 6".. lets go..

Unhooked at campsite and noticed that when I hit auto level the front went up NOT down...

Decided I'd better check something.. so I got out the tape measure.

Bottom of pin box is 53" off the ground when the trailer is level.. Checked the hitch and it is 49 1/2" off the ground on level ground..

I can raise the hitch about 2 1/2" and maybe lower the pin box an inch..

Looks like I need a new pin box... :facepalm:

chuckster57
08-18-2020, 09:43 AM
So on level ground, hooked on, landing gear retracted, your nose low?

Javi
08-18-2020, 09:51 AM
So on level ground, hooked on, landing gear retracted, your nose low? Yep.. a lot... :whistling:

chuckster57
08-18-2020, 09:53 AM
I would raise the hitch and call it good.

LewisB
08-18-2020, 10:33 AM
Javi,
I'm with Chuck - if you raise your hitch, you will be within an inch and that should be good.

I noticed the large front compartment on your new rig. Have you tried to open that door while hooked up? Is what you store in there important to get while on the road? The reason I ask is that the front compartments on my Raptor are inaccessible for any practical purpose while hooked up to my F350 DRW with a normal hitch (see photo). That means no access to the propane bottles or generator when hooked up...unless...

If you replace your pin box, make sure to measure the length as well as the other measurements. I found that the LCI Roto-Flex pin box (which I actually like) is about 6" shorter than the standard box on my last Raptor. That's what lead me to the front compartment issue...

Just something to keep in mind...

Javi
08-18-2020, 10:43 AM
Javi,
I'm with Chuck - if you raise your hitch, you will be within an inch and that should be good.

I noticed the large front compartment on your new rig. Have you tried to open that door while hooked up? Is what you store in there important to get while on the road? The reason I ask is that the front compartments on my Raptor are inaccessible for any practical purpose while hooked up to my F350 DRW with a normal hitch (see photo). That means no access to the propane bottles or generator when hooked up...unless...

No, I cannot open that compartment when hitched.. couldn't on my last trailer either.. I don't have a genset and the propane tanks are on the side..
I love the big compartment but keep nothing in there that I might need while hooked up.. :D

I'm leaning towards a new longer pin box because I also cannot back in at an angle with the tailgate down.. I have to get out and shut the gate after I get clear then finish hooking up.. Not a big deal and I guess the alternative fix would be a 5th wheel tailgate.

LewisB
08-18-2020, 10:47 AM
No, I cannot open that compartment when hitched.. couldn't on my last trailer either.. I don't have a genset and the propane tanks are on the side..
I love the big compartment but keep nothing in there that I might need while hooked up.. :D

I'm leaning towards a new longer pin box because I also cannot back in at an angle with the tailgate down.. I have to get out and shut the gate after I get clear then finish hooking up.. Not a big deal and I guess the alternative fix would be a 5th wheel tailgate.

I hear you. Same issue for me - have to be really straight to back in with the tailgate down. Even the new 5er tailgate wouldn't fix the issue for me. I ended up using a slider with my 8' bed.:hide:

I actually like the combo now!

rhagfo
08-18-2020, 04:23 PM
Yep.. a lot... :whistling:

See there are reasons for having a 4X4!:D

BauerAP
08-18-2020, 05:27 PM
Off topic a little but why would one back in with the tailgate down?

LewisB
08-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Off topic a little but why would one back in with the tailgate down?

Unless you have a 5th wheel tailgate with the "dropped" section, the hitch pin will not clear a closed tailgate and you will destroy the tailgate (about $1000 + paint last time I checked).:facepalm:

BauerAP
08-18-2020, 05:38 PM
Unless you have a 5th wheel tailgate with the "dropped" section, the hitch pin will not clear a closed tailgate and you will destroy the tailgate (about $1000 + paint last time I checked).:facepalm:

Was on a different page I guess. I was thinking about backing into a site with the tailgate down not booking up.

Javi
08-18-2020, 06:10 PM
See there are reasons for having a 4X4!:D

Well, I guess there is that... 🤪

notanlines
08-19-2020, 02:42 AM
I believe I also would go with what I have and just take the action with the hitch and pin box. Very little benefit for a quick half a thousand dollars, and you'd have a rough time selling the one you have.

Javi
08-19-2020, 05:14 AM
I believe I also would go with what I have and just take the action with the hitch and pin box. Very little benefit for a quick thousand dollars, and you'd have a rough time selling the one you have.

I'm going to first raise the hitch the 2-1/2" it says that I can and then look at dropping the pin box the one hole that is available.

The current pin box is the Rota-Flex 18K and it looks like dropping it one hole may be approximately 2" which may be enough.. BTW they're only $500 +/-