PDA

View Full Version : Loud Water Pump 364BHL

GASMAN6674
08-17-2020, 09:55 AM
Hey all anyone have a recommendation of brand for a quieter pump?
Our unit has a Flo Jet and its loud. I have added some closed cell foam under it(old anti fatigue mat),remounted it to a board and then added foam between the board and the trailer floor. Didn't help much if any. The pump is mounted with the white hose on both sides and the have some slack in them. Anybody got a quieter choice.

Thanks

flybouy
08-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Often it's not the pump but rather the water lines against the floor or wall that acts like a drum. They sell "silencer kits" which replace the pump lines which may help. An accumulator tank may help as well with the "water hammering" as the bladder inside acts like a shock absorber.

JRTJH
08-17-2020, 05:46 PM
Some people say that Shure Flo pumps are a bit less noisy compared to FloJet pumps.... That said, it's a $100 "test" to find out so I'm happy with my FloJet...

One thing to consider, a pump that can be heard is a "sure fire way" to identify a leak or an issue with the water heater relief valve or even a leaking valve on the toilet... When you "hear the pump cycle on/off periodically and nobody is using water, there's a reason... "Not hearing the pump" is a means to know your water system is working as it should (without leaks)... A "silent pump" eliminates that "advance notice of potential soft floors and mold"..... YMMV

sourdough
08-17-2020, 05:58 PM
^^^^^This! Lots of folks want their water pump to be completely silent...like water in a S&B. That's not such a good idea IMO. When you are running off the pump and there is a leak or problem it tells you. If you silence it completely no telling what you might find and what damage has occurred.

When I turned on the water pump in this trailer I could not hear it. I was concerned and figured it didn't work but I had water. Thought I must have city water connected, I didn't. Went outside and opened the pass through. The pump is located behind the convenience center so I just listened right at the panel it's behind and had her turn on the water. Sure enough, to my amazement, I heard the whir/hum of the pump come on then go off when she turned it off. Stood there for a second in disbelief, shook my head - is this even possible??? I've NEVER owned an RV that I couldn't find the pump by just following the noise/pounding. Kinda nice...I hope.

Gary Rivers
08-18-2020, 05:08 AM
My Springdale camper had an extremely loud water pump mounted under the bedroom cabinet. I traced all lines and found the line to my sink was too long causing the plastic bathroom sink to act like a drum head. The line was shortened, spray foamed at pass through points and mounted the pump on a dense foam mat. These two mods quieted the pump to where it is heard only in the bedroom.

Kuimonster
03-24-2021, 04:19 PM
It seems excessively loud. I can hear it loud and clear in the back room no issues.
My in laws cougar is very noticeably quieter. Loud enough to hear it turn on when using water without drowning out any noise in the camper.

MarkEHansen
03-30-2021, 11:22 AM
Another thing which can make the water pump seem louder than it needs to be are non-purged water lines. When you turn on the pump, run each faucet (even the outdoor shower faucet) to purge all the air from the lines.

ChuckS
03-31-2021, 03:18 AM
Actually I am glad I can hear my Shuflo water pump when it runs in the Alpine.. If there is a leak or an issue and I hear the pump running when no water faucet is open it gives me an audible clue rather than waiting to see a visual clue

MarkEHansen
03-31-2021, 03:31 AM
Yes, you want to be able to hear the pump running. But there's a difference between being able to hear it run and having the hammering noise so loud that it tried to knock the fillings from your teeth.