PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Feel Comfortable Towing?

kaju65
08-17-2020, 07:04 AM
Hey everyone! My DW and I just picked up a new (to us) truck in anticipation of upgrading to a larger trailer. We used to tow with a 2005 K1500 Silverado 5.3 but we recently purchased a 2015 2500HD with a 6.0. We've been looking at bumper pulls and 5th wheels. I have to tell you my head is spinning just looking at at all the stats of these trailers! We certainly don't want to make a mistake and purchase more trailer than we should. We've always received great info from this forum so I thought I'd throw out this question, what would you feel comfortable towing if you had my truck? Thanks in advance!
Here are the stats:
2015 Silverado 2500HD
Double Cab
4WD Regular bed
GVW 9,500
4.10 rear end
GCWR 20,500
Max Trailer WT 13,000 Conventional/ 14,200 5th Wheel
Max Bumper Tongue WT 1,500
Max Bed WT 3,000

Northofu1
08-17-2020, 07:19 AM
I am at 10,000 gvwr on my 5er, it's 30'. I personally would not go any larger. It tows beautifully. If I wanted anything bigger it's going to take a 3500 diesel and a lottery win.
Good Luck

Javi
08-17-2020, 07:44 AM
8K bumper pull..

flybouy
08-17-2020, 08:16 AM
Hey everyone! My DW and I just picked up a new (to us) truck in anticipation of upgrading to a larger trailer. We used to tow with a 2005 K1500 Silverado 5.3 but we recently purchased a 2015 2500HD with a 6.0. We've been looking at bumper pulls and 5th wheels. I have to tell you my head is spinning just looking at at all the stats of these trailers! We certainly don't want to make a mistake and purchase more trailer than we should. We've always received great info from this forum so I thought I'd throw out this question, what would you feel comfortable towing if you had my truck? Thanks in advance!
Here are the stats:
2015 Silverado 2500HD
Double Cab
4WD Regular bed
GVW 9,500
4.10 rear end
GCWR 20,500
Max Bed WT 3,000
Where are you getting the bolded numbers from? The photo you attached states 2864 lbs. Max payload.

travelin texans
08-17-2020, 08:17 AM
Here are the stats:
2015 Silverado 2500HD
Double Cab
4WD Regular bed
GVW 9,500
4.10 rear end
GCWR 20,500
Max Bed WT 3,000

The limiting factor is the payload # on that tag, it states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXX lbs". Although the conventional & 5th wheel weights posted are within/right at that payload number.
The biggest thing when RV shopping is to check the GVWR on the particular RV your looking at from the manufacturer tag on the drivers side front corner & figure appropriate percentages (12-15% for TT tongue weight, 20-25% for 5th wheel pin weight) from that number. DO NOT calculate from any of the dry weight numbers (hitch, pin or RV, etc) that the rv salesman spouts out, they mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to you.

kaju65
08-17-2020, 08:19 AM
flybouy, those figures are from the owners manual.

flybouy
08-17-2020, 08:38 AM
The owner's manual is a "generic" printed book before the truck was built. The door placard is printed when it comes down the line and reflects the "as built weight". At least that's how I understand it. I would assume that max hitch weight is based on what the hitch is rated at.

You've got good advice so far. I'd visit a scale with everyone in the truck as if you were going camping. Add the weight of af a fifth wheel or weight distributing hitch that you desire and subtract that number from the truck's gvw. The number you have will then be your remaining payload.

sourdough
08-17-2020, 08:59 AM
Lots and lots of numbers to spin around when trying to make these calculations, and, doing it before you buy the trailer, and sizing the trailer to the truck is the proper and safe way to do it. Kudos.

Start off with that 2864 payload and work from there. That is generally the number that gets you in trouble. That includes the trailer weight placed in/on the truck, hitch, people, gear, ice chests, tools etc. etc. etc. It can grow quickly. Remember the hitch weight because it can be substantial; an Equalizer 4 pt. for the bumper pull will be about 125lbs. A 5th wheel hitch can go as high as 400lbs. or as low as approx. 45lbs.

Assume a 10k gvw trailer. A bumper pull approximation for weight would be in the 1300lb. range; a 5th wheel around 2000 (probably more). The weight of the bumper pull is doable, the 5th wheel is going to push you right to the brink by the time you are loaded and could possibly exceed your gawr (gross axle weight rating - rear).

I pulled a 10k gvw bumper pull with my 14 Ram 3/4 HD with the 6.4 and 3.73. You've got the 4.10 which is better but I believe that vintage 6.0 is about 40-50lb. ft. less than the 6.4 so the 4.10 might make up for that.

So to your question "what would I feel comfortable towing with that truck?" First, a bumper pull. Not enough payload or truck for a 5th wheel. You can find some lightweight 5vrs that might come in at 10k gvw but that pin weight is going to put you at or over your weight limits and will NOT leave you any safety cushion. Secondly, look at any prospective trailer and look at the maximum weight on the sticker on the front driver side; limit that to 10k max. I think that pretty much answers that.

I've done exactly what I am proposing to you. I would not put a 5th wheel of any kind on my previous truck (and it had about 300lb. more payload), that is the reason I now have the truck in my signature. If the 4.10 makes up for the shortage of torque compared to the 6.4 you will do fine. My trailer was 37-38' long and with the equalizer towed just about as good as this 5th wheel (after dialing it in).

Brantlyj
08-17-2020, 09:25 AM
If GCWR is 20,500 and GVWR is 9,500 you can’t legally go any higher than 11,000 lbs anyways.
My trailer is 9,800 lbs gross. I weighed trick and trailer at the elevator next door once and I think I was around 16,500 combined. Trailer is 33’ hitch to bumper. I have a F250 with gas and 3.73 gears. I would’t want to go any heavier or longer. Mainly cause it pretty much lives in 4th gear on the interstate. (Iowa is not flat regardless of any joke you have heard). Wish I had 4.10 gears...

So all that to say, I personally wouldn’t go over 10,000 lbs on a gasser if all the numbers line up.

Ken / Claudia
08-17-2020, 11:18 AM
Be safe go by numbers on the truck. Just do not use dry weights of any RV to see if that will work. Use GVWR of the RV and consider the pin or hitch wt. from that. It's not rocket science, the folks who engineered the truck to display that information maybe rocket scientists. We just have to read what they said the truck will carry and tow.

kaju65
08-17-2020, 11:22 AM
LOTS of great info! Thanks!

Roscommon48
08-17-2020, 11:51 AM
I'd stay with the shorter 5th wheels, like the 1/2 ton 5th wheels. what are you planning on pulling? You should have gotten the trailer first.

your 6.0 will pull anything but boy it is a joke when you go up hills/mountains.

kaju65
08-18-2020, 06:27 AM
So we were looking at this model as a possibility,
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-winnebago-voyage-lite-fifth-wheel-floorplan-25rks-tr31751

What do you think?

linux3
08-18-2020, 07:12 AM
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-winnebago-voyage-lite-fifth-wheel-floorplan-25rks-tr31751

What do you think?
Humm, a so called 1/2 ton pulled by a 3/4 ton makes sense to me but I'm not a 5'er puller.

Problem I have with this model is.... Can you get to the bathroom with the slide closed?
That would be a deal breaker to me.

JRTJH
08-18-2020, 08:07 AM
There are a couple of things about that link that cause me to doubt all of the specifications:

First, they list 1 gray tank with a 51 gallon capacity. Based on the floorplan, there's no way to drain the rear galley sink into a tank under the shower/bath. I'd suspect it's really two gray tanks, probably 25 gallons each. So the question would become: Are the tanks connected to a single sewer drain or are there two sewer connections on the roadside of the trailer?

The TV/entertainment center is positioned 90 degrees from all seating areas. That makes for an extremely uncomfortable TV viewing experience. It's similar to our Cougar 27RKS and we reposition the rockers to watch TV comfortably, something you can't do with a sofabed and a fixed dinette.

Specs list "vinyl flooring" in the bedroom. Being "above the pinbox, there's no residual heat below that area, so vinyl makes for an "extrememly cold floor when you get out of bed"... Throw rugs, etc would help, but most fifth wheels have carpet in the bedroom for a reason... Does this one "miss that feature?"

As for towing capacity of your truck with this trailer, it is "in the ballpark" when it comes to weight limitations, towability, and probably will come in "below your max pinweight" and not overload your truck (depending on what type of hitch and other cargo you have in the truck).....

sourdough
08-18-2020, 08:18 AM

What do you think?

I think the numbers should work for your truck. You should anticipate at least 1700 lbs. of that 2864 going to pin weight and another 45 - 300 going to a 5th wheel hitch. As long as you watch what you put in the truck that should be OK.

A couple of things come to mind; the increased wind resistance due to the height of the front cap of the 5th wheel might make be noticeable in a headwind with the gas engine. I've not noticed any appreciable difference yet but I've not hit a 50mph headwind.

Secondly, only you know what you are looking for in a floorplan but I've looked at many of them. For whatever reason it seems to me that they (Jayco) just have no idea how to lay out a floorplan or execute an interior. Make sure the floorplan fits your needs and think through how it will work for you in actual use. Nothing like going in a trailer every time to use it, hating the gyrations you have to go through on a daily basis using it and regretting it each time. It really does detract from the enjoyment of the camper - btdt.

travelin texans
08-18-2020, 08:37 AM
The pin weight listed for that 5er is a bit off, 8500 GVWR with 820lb pin weight, that's less than 10%, which is too low for even a TT tongue weight, less than 1/2 of what a 5th wheel should be.
I also noticed several of the other items John mentioned that would be a no go for us.
We've walked into literally 100s just to see the position of the television, if no seating in front of it we walked out, no need the look any further. I'll admit the tv in the rear with the fireplace & shelving all looks very impressive, but very impractical to watch TV always at 90 degree angle.
Plus a rear kitchen is the roughest riding spot in a rv so pack plastic dishes or pad them carefully for travel & secure all items in the cabinets.
You need to realize that "1/2 ton towable" doesn't mean that a 1/2 actually has the carrying capacity for it, mostly it's a catchy sales gimmick that gets a lot of newbies owning too much rv for their 1/2 to carry, unfortunately the salesman, dealer nor manufacturer can be held liable.

Northofu1
08-18-2020, 08:52 AM
The only thing I can add to what the elder statesmen above me is I would go with the Anderson Ultimate hitch. The advantage of towing a lighter 5er and using a lot less payload than traditional hitches.
Make sure you think through what things you can and can't live without in respect to floor plan and storage.
Good luck. :)

jsb5717
08-18-2020, 09:09 AM
Kudos on asking before you buy. Do you have any 5th wheel rails or turn over ball in the truck already? Puck system? Short box? Long?

I can ditto the Andersen Hitch. I have really enjoyed it. It's light, quiet, and smooth. You could also consider the Pullrite 2600 as well. Both are light weight hitches with heavy duty performance.

kaju65
08-18-2020, 04:02 PM
I don't have anything in the bed right now. It's a 6 ft bed.

ewbldavis
08-18-2020, 04:17 PM
I had a 2015 1500 Sierra, a 2015 6.0 2500 Silverado, and now a 2019 6.0 2500 Sierra.

Real world, our 36ft Cougar (9400# empty / 1570# pin weight) feels like a perfect match for the truck. Camper GVWR is 11,500, which is a nice cushion for the 14k tow rating.

I went with Andersen and love only having a turnover ball (B&W).

I think if you stick with a dry weight of 10,000# max and GVWR under 13k, you'll be quite happy with how it tows. I didn't look at anything over 12k because I didn't want to be at limit. Truck pulls 5er quite well. Hardly a difference from our 6800# TT.

jsb5717
08-18-2020, 04:17 PM
I don't have anything in the bed right now. It's a 6 ft bed.
Great, then you'll want to think about a hitch with a set back or a slider. There are several hitches that work with a gooseneck ball that will provide a nice set back which helps in keeping the trailer away from the back of your truck in tighter turns. I haven't even come close to contact in my normal driving and parking.

sourdough
08-18-2020, 04:58 PM
I had a 2015 1500 Sierra, a 2015 6.0 2500 Silverado, and now a 2019 6.0 2500 Sierra.

Real world, our 36ft Cougar (9400# empty / 1570# pin weight) feels like a perfect match for the truck. Camper GVWR is 11,500, which is a nice cushion for the 14k tow rating.

I went with Andersen and love only having a turnover ball (B&W).

I think if you stick with a dry weight of 10,000# max and GVWR under 13k, you'll be quite happy with how it tows. I didn't look at anything over 12k because I didn't want to be at limit. Truck pulls 5er quite well. Hardly a difference from our 6800# TT.

I might note that there are many more weight considerations in addition to, and probably more important, than the 14k max tow rating. A 11500 5th wheel (dry gvw, max tow and pin weights are meaningless) at 20%+ pin will overload most 3/4 diesels along with the OPs gas 3/4 at 2864 payload. Have you ever actually scaled your truck/trailer against the weight sticker inside the door? "Feeling" like a match vs staying under weight and safe, knowing your numbers, are 2 very different things.

ewbldavis
08-18-2020, 05:09 PM
I might note that there are many more weight considerations in addition to, and probably more important, than the 14k max tow rating. A 11500 5th wheel (dry gvw, max tow and pin weights are meaningless) at 20%+ pin will overload most 3/4 diesels along with the OPs gas 3/4 at 2864 payload. Have you ever actually scaled your truck/trailer against the weight sticker inside the door? "Feeling" like a match vs staying under weight and safe, knowing your numbers, are 2 very different things.

Being that this is my 4th tow vehicle and 4th camper, and I am an engineer by trade, yes... I've checked numbers and know right where I am. I'm trying to give a simple answer without suggesting an F450 for a 6800# trailer.

Since labels have dry and gvwr, figured it would help simplify.

sourdough
08-18-2020, 05:41 PM
I'm sure you're good if you say so but you recommended up to a 13k 5th wheel to a novice that has a 2864 payload. That's not prudent or being safe IMO - just sayin.

sourdough
08-18-2020, 06:02 PM
Confusion and misunderstanding is what isn't safe.

I was answering the OPs question. Don't need overly conservative weight police telling me I'm not prudent or safe when I calculate this s*** for a living. He wanted real world answer.

Sidenote: your username is familiar. You own a Crossroads product?

No, don't like them. To each his own but, as I'm sure you know, numbers are numbers..

wiredgeorge
08-19-2020, 04:05 AM
OP, Your truck can handle the pulling part just fine. The issues that John brought up regarding the floor plan are valid; first the floor in the bedroom will be cold. What is cold? Toss a small rug outside the bathroom area; you will hardly be able to trot around the bed anyway as it is a low rise bedroom. The TV issue can be solved by screwing a mount to the wall with an articulating TV mount. We had the same issue (our couch was on the opposite side of the camper than the Winnie) and the person sitting closest to the slide out wall (me) couldn't see the TV. I put up a furniture grade backer of 3/4" plywood stained to match the wood in our camper and mounted an articulating TV mount to it and can now turn the TV about 20 degrees towards our couch and that works fine. The bed in your prospective Winnie is a full queen giving you a lot of NICE mattress options; that is GOOD as an RV mattress is usually NOT GOOD. The only real negative I saw was the pantry so far away near the steps. The chef won't appreciate that but that is a minor consideration.

kaju65
08-19-2020, 06:21 AM
The TV setup isn't ideal I agree. That's one of things I also look at when we view trailers. I like the idea about putting in a new mount for it. The floor plan is also an issue that we'll have to think about.
Anyone have any model suggestions (Bumper pull or 5er ) that we should look at that fall under 10K GVWR and sleep at least 6?

Ken / Claudia
08-19-2020, 06:29 AM
Ewbldavis, just so we know since you are an experienced RVer and engineer. I will assume you know your vehicles payload rating. Please list it and what the pin wt is of the trailer. Help us understand what your talking about. It would also really help the new guy who started this.
If my understanding of your knowledge of payload rating and real pin weights is wrong it's okay to admit it.

flybouy
08-19-2020, 06:32 AM
If you're looking to sleep six (I'm guessing 2 adults and 4 kids) then I'd narrow the search to bunkhouse models. Kids will want their "own space" and using a sofa or dining booth as a bed EVERY NIGHT gets old. Setting up for an occasional guest is one thing but setting up/breaking down every day becomes tiresome. JMHO

sourdough
08-19-2020, 09:24 AM
As Marshall points out a bunk model is probably what you want if you have multiple kids and are considering using the dinette as a sleeping surface.

When we were young we used tents, pickup topper, slide in camper and pop up with the kids. Them sleeping "wherever" was sort of the way it had to be and we didn't spend much time at it. Our first travel trailer was bought without a lot of thought. I was going to use it for work (and let them pay for it in lieu of lodging) and we would benefit by using it for vacations etc. It was fun and novel at first but after a while trying to negotiate that narrow trailer (no slides) while the kids wanted to sleep in, prepare breakfast or anything else became a real irritation for us so think about that.

ewbldavis
08-19-2020, 04:58 PM
Ewbldavis, just so we know since you are an experienced RVer and engineer. I will assume you know your vehicles payload rating. Please list it and what the pin wt is of the trailer. Help us understand what your talking about. It would also really help the new guy who started this.
If my understanding of your knowledge of payload rating and real pin weights is wrong it's okay to admit it.

My payload sticker is 2570, pretty close to OP. I have a crew cab, so I expect the smaller double cab gives him a 300# advantage.

Actual scale weight loaded for a week was just over 11k for the 5er...like just under 11,100# or something...I don't have the scale paper anymore. Pin was 19??#. About 17%. Our stuff is pretty evenly distributed since it's a rear bunkhouse.

It handles quite well and we're good on payload.

ewbldavis
08-20-2020, 08:08 AM
The TV setup isn't ideal I agree. That's one of things I also look at when we view trailers. I like the idea about putting in a new mount for it. The floor plan is also an issue that we'll have to think about.
Anyone have any model suggestions (Bumper pull or 5er ) that we should look at that fall under 10K GVWR and sleep at least 6?

Friends have a Passport 3221BH. Another option is 292BH. Both are travel trailers.

We loved not tearing things apart for beds with our pop-up, and is why we've stuck with bunkhouse models.

Renoman
08-23-2020, 09:11 AM
My 6.0 gas 3/4 ton 4wd is pulling a 24’ trailer with a GVW of 7200#. Flat ground is fine. Can pull slight grade at 4k rpm but need to mash gas pedal on steeper grades closer to 5k rpm which I don't like so I just slow down. I could give you axle loads, truck GVW etc but this is real world info. My combo is within spec for various weights. Truck is actually rated for 10k Towing but I would expect less performance. Grant it, mine is a 2001 so pulling effort could be different with your year and model.

Golfhacker64
08-23-2020, 11:30 AM
I have an Excel spreadsheet that I created that could help. Does anyone know how I can add that to a reply?

avalanchehd
08-23-2020, 03:59 PM
Our 2012 Keystone Avalanche max gvw 14400, loaded to camp weighs 13880 with 3200 pin weight, making most 2500s under rated