PDA

View Full Version : GMG Grill/Smoker

sourdough
08-15-2020, 07:31 PM
We often talk about grills for traveling and what we like. I seem to buy more grills than a person should. I've used the Weber 1200., 2200, Coleman, CharBroil and the list goes on. They are LP grills and I carry a 22" Blackstone. At each location I buy a charcoal grill, use it and leave it. That gets old and I can't do the thing I really like - smoke meat. Problem solved???

Bought a Green Mountain Grill a few days ago, unboxed it and smoked a pork butt on it yesterday. It's small (that's why I got it) but does a great job. Ate a pulled pork sandwich for dinner (very good). Everything I've read, and the way it operates so far, looks like I can leave the gas grill out and stop buying charcoal grills as I go. Super easy to set up and use - I love the wifi app so never even have to mess with it. Has alerts to let you know when temp is reached, temp of the smoker, temp of the meat...pretty cool. The biggest test will come in a couple of days - actually coming up to a high temp to sear steaks, burgers etc. I ran it up (not cooking) and it looks like it should be easy. Comes to heat quickly and cools down just as quickly.

I'm going to put it in the same place in the front compartment as the current CharBroil infrared grill. It is a pellet grill so will have to carry those and keep them dry but I carry about 6 little 1 lb. bottles for the LP grill - almost a wash. I use the bigger tank (5lb?) for my Blackstone.

Just throwing that out there for those that like to cook or smoke meat and tiring of filling the pass through or truck bed with "cooking stuff". I'll be doing some spatchcock chicken in a few days to keep trying it out.

Bob R
08-15-2020, 07:44 PM
I have given a lot of thought to the GMG (Davy Crockett) to put in the trailer. The Traeger is way too big and the GMG can run on 12v. That's a winner for me.

bob

sourdough
08-15-2020, 07:53 PM
Looked at the Traeger but even the small one is just so cumbersome and literally has to be table top or do without. The Davy Crockett comes with pop down legs so you can use it without a table, bigger cooking area (than Traeger's comparable small one - Ranger?) along with a higher heat range as well.

Chris P
08-16-2020, 05:36 AM
Danny , I have the same unit , Great for traveling had to replace the glow rod ,There customer service is great sent me the part in 2days .also have a bigger one and a egg for home.

sourdough
08-19-2020, 02:57 PM
Don't know how many folks use a pellet grill either in the RV or at home but looking for some voices of experience.

Talked to a fellow the other day and he said moisture can cause havoc with a pellet grill. Unfortunately I intended to take it to FL and use it there. He said the solution was to empty the pellet hopper after each use; I'm saying "nah, I don't want that headache". And, I don't see how you would get the pellets out of the auger chute anyway.

I intend to keep a cover on it and probably under the nose of the 5th wheel to keep the rain off but just wondered if anyone had actual experience with this and what really needed to be done??? Thanks in advance for any insight.

jsb5717
08-19-2020, 03:27 PM
I haven't traveled with our Davey Crockett but it's been sitting out on our covered deck for 3 years. Moisture has never been an issue, just ash build up. It needs to be vacuumed out every once in a while so it will start the next time you need it.

sourdough
08-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Thanks Jeff. I'm figuring OR is pretty wet also.

jsb5717
08-19-2020, 03:46 PM
It can be...but only in the fall, winter, spring, and a little of the summer.

Yeah, it can get damp. The issue with the GMG is likely how often it's used. The longer it sits between uses the more likely that moisture can affect the pellets.

Added: I really haven't thought much about it. But it's possible that areas with higher humidity might have more trouble. We can get a lot of rain but we don't hang around 90 percent humidity like they can in the SE

sourdough
08-19-2020, 03:51 PM
Kinda what I was thinking. If I transition all the cooking I did on the gas and charcoal grills to it I think it will see a fair amount of usage.

notanlines
08-19-2020, 04:52 PM
The Davey Crockett is on sale at Target online for $299....

chuckster57
08-19-2020, 05:09 PM
Last dealership I was at we had a tech that had a Davy Crockett. He was one of the designated cooks at the Grand Designs rallies. We got to enjoy his cooking on Saturdays in the shop...excellent grill, but it’s also the cook and his rubs:)

sourdough
08-19-2020, 05:51 PM
Well, I had laid some ribeyes out to put on the smoker/grill an hour or more ago but haven't been able to get off the phone. I will be putting them on in a bit and get back with how they turn out vs a charcoal or gas grill....I hope.:facepalm:

Chris P
08-19-2020, 05:58 PM
I've had pellet grills for several years in the wonderful humidity in Jersey and haven't had a issue yet and don't use them constantly. As long as you keep the unit covered, You should be fine.

chuckster57
08-19-2020, 06:02 PM
I've had pellet grills for several years in the wonderful humidity in Jersey and haven't had a issue yet and don't use them constantly. As long as you keep the unit covered, You should be fine.

Me too. I bought a Louisiana grill years ago and use bear mountain pellets. YUM!!! Too bad DW doesn’t share the same taste....more for me :D

travelin texans
08-19-2020, 08:18 PM
My son has had a pellet grill for several years living the Seattle area, humidity doesn't seem to affect the pellets but he has to keep it covered from ALL the rain.
BTW he's gotten very good at smoking meat & we've gotten even better eatin' it.

Cheesehead4Life
08-23-2020, 01:30 PM
A relative of mine had a problem which GMG said was due to humidity. The grill went too long between uses so the pellets clumped up. Then on top of it, the weather was below freezing. With that combination, the auger didn't have the power to break things up.

I have a Camp Chef Pursuit. That is Camp Chef's portable version with collapsible legs. It's my first year with it and I am happy so far. It has a built-in pellet dump and an ash cup that makes it quite easy to empty the ashes.

Sourdough, welcome to the world of pellet smoking. Since your looking for some insight, here are a couple of things:
1) Serious BBQ/smoker folks will tell you that pellet grills don't generate a lot of smoke to get the best smoke flavors. Not a big issue for me, but you can buy a 'smoke tube' to generate even more if you want. [URL="https://www.campchef.com/wood-pellet-grills-and-accessories/accessories/smoke-tube.html?k_cca=prospecting&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp4j6BRCRARIsAGq4yMEAil0Y_PJOWGFHScEr JTN38pP-8vWWoZ6AoF_RtaYubqAXYrP65LkaAmcOEALw_wcB"]
2) I don't think you'll have moisture problems with your grill in FL. But, my Camp Chef has a "feed" option. After I empty the hopper, I can run the feed cycle to empty the auger if needed.

sourdough
08-23-2020, 02:12 PM
I didn't even know Camp Chef made pellet grills! Just pulled them up and checked them out. The Pursuit looks a little bigger than what I want though. I do like the legs but they're also one of the reasons I don't like it - they add to the footprint. I want it to fit easily in the front storage compartment. As far as the cold weather I bought a thermal cover for the GMG so hope that helps....but then again it rarely freezes in FL. I'm glad you brought it up. If this one doesn't work looks like that might be the one I take back next year; the small Traeger is just too cumbersome. Thanks.

Edit: Didn't see your last comments. Yes, my son is a true blue smoker guy and that's the first thing he told me. Plus, it's not really "smoking" unless you're putting work into it instead of just putting it "into an oven". I explained the issues with weight (I have already given him 2 large smokers that I smoked on weighing hundreds of pounds each), age, portability and having to fit a small area. He relented a bit but still likes the "real" smokers.

Making lots of smoke is one of the reasons DW does not like smoked meat and didn't want me to get one for camping. I told her this wouldn't be as bad as the big ones and after I smoked a pork shoulder and pulled it....she is sold.

Cheesehead4Life
08-23-2020, 03:08 PM
Making lots of smoke is one of the reasons DW does not like smoked meat and didn't want me to get one for camping. I told her this wouldn't be as bad as the big ones and after I smoked a pork shoulder and pulled it....she is sold.

Same exact circumstance here!

jim1
09-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Check out Country Smokers Traveler grill. I just got one and have used it about 8 times, I think it's great. It is very much like my full size Pit Boss grill. I've used it to smoke, grill, char and roast and it seems to be able to handle it all. The grill area is a little tight and you can push your food off the back if you're not careful. It holds 3l bs of flavoured pellets and I've had mine up to 525 F. I like it but I'm still looking for a cover for it. Check Country Smokers and Wayfair for good prices.

Jim2366
09-06-2020, 07:42 AM
I have a All American Sun Solar Oven. It really works I have only used it a few times. It gets up to 360 degrees and is good if you have a sunny campsite. I prefer the small charcoal grill that I can BBQ hamburgers and pork steaks.

sourdough
10-02-2020, 03:46 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread for just a bit of an update.

I am by no means a pellet smoker pro - still learning. My biggest hope was top have something that would allow me to smoke meat (chickens, pork shoulder, brisket, ribs) and do a good job of grilling. Pellet smokers aren't very good at that from everything I could find and it's something I do all the time. I didn't want to smoke everything or cook it like it was in an oven. I've made some excellent progress with this little smoker -

Mine came with the solid drip tray - no way to get to a good grilling temp. The older models had a 2 piece perforated tray that could be moved to open up the grate for open flame grilling, which I ordered. There are some great add on "grill grates" that you can add as well. Sort of like heat sinks. I set the smoker to 450 and the grates heat to 600 or so. The normal small grill inserts on top don't do anything for "grilling" but the grates fix that. I also bought a smoke tube for next go round on smoking.

I initially had no idea what I would get from this thing. My hopes were to eliminate the issues with carrying a gas grill and then buying a cheap charcoal grill everywhere we went....and still unable to smoke anything. I think I've found the solution for me. I'm leaving the gas grill (to join the others in the "gas grill graveyard" at the barn) and won't be buying the charcoal grills, associated charcoal/LP bottles etc. everywhere I go. I've got my fingers crossed that this is "the one".

Just wanted to update because I know all of us are looking for that perfect "grill" that does what we like to do. I'm giving this a whirl this winter and will update. I will not that it does not take the place of my Blackstone and induction cookers for "other cooking". :D

Chris P
10-02-2020, 05:04 PM
Danny, What exactly are you looking for from the pellet ? The ability to sear? For chicken breasts,Pork ,Its perfect, Burgers on the flattop, As well as steaks.

sourdough
10-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Danny, What exactly are you looking for from the pellet ? The ability to sear? For chicken breasts,Pork ,Its perfect, Burgers on the flattop, As well as steaks.

I want the pellet to serve the function of a gas/charcoal grill/smoker with the higher temps, searing and a little of the charring that occurs with an open flame (along with quicker cooking times). I don't do burgers (unless smash burgers) or steaks/ribs (not racks)/chops on a flattop, skillet etc. I like the hotter, open fire and it is one of the reasons I've had such a time trying to find a "one size fits all" in a smoker/grill vs carrying/buying/giving away all kinds of cooking paraphernalia on every trip. I do understand I want a lot but I have to say that, after research and buying "stuff", I am as close as I've ever been to getting the "one". Now, I leave in a few weeks using that assumption; I may end up with a truck load of new cooking gear after several weeks, but I've experimented now for several weeks and I'm confident we're going to be happy. Just wanted to let anyone interested that the "smoker" can be much more than that from what I've found.

Chris P
10-02-2020, 05:34 PM
I agree, I'm in the same boat as I carry 3 grill, Griddle ,pellet and a small gas Coleman, I'm almost ready to get a mini max big green egg,very portable but fragile. I have the large egg, A Davey Crocket gmg pellet and a Weber gas grill for home, And the little GMG for camping. So many grills so little time.

sourdough
10-02-2020, 05:58 PM
I agree, I'm in the same boat as I carry 3 grill, Griddle ,pellet and a small gas Coleman, I'm almost ready to get a mini max big green egg,very portable but fragile. I have the large egg, A Davey Crocket gmg pellet and a Weber gas grill for home, And the little GMG for camping. So many grills so little time.

Man, that is the truth. I'm not into an egg for travel. My son had the large egg, asked my GS to move it 5' (he was 30), dropped it a bit and poof! it was destroyed. He loved it but said he wouldn't have another. I think when traveling in an RV, like anything in an RV, it is a matter of tradeoffs and trying to get the best you can out of what's been dealt.

Jim2366
10-03-2020, 08:07 AM
After reading these post I found the same grill that I use at home in a smaller size. Its the lower cost egg grill smoker. Its metal so it will withstand the bumps on the road.
Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Charcoal Grill, Graphite. Its just $150. Amazon delivered early so I hope its still on the porch. We are camping at Eisenhower State Park near Wichita KS.