PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Ems from walking off

Krg2383
08-15-2020, 07:22 AM
I'm heading out in a few weeks on a trip to an area I'm not to familiar with. The sites are close together. I have a portable progressive ems. What do you guys use to keep yours from walking off while not at the site?

wiredgeorge
08-15-2020, 07:33 AM
I'm heading out in a few weeks on a trip to an area I'm not to familiar with. The sites are close together. I have a portable progressive ems. What do you guys use to keep yours from walking off while not at the site?

If I want to steal your EMS or your whole camper and I am a real thief, I can do it. Best you can do with your EMS is to buy a cable bike lock and run it through the fitting provided for such a lock. This will discourage casual theft. I have a bike lock I use with my EMS when camping in an unknown campground and have the combination with a magic marker in a place I can easily find it when I do forget the combo. Not much else can be done other than sit in a lawn chair with a baseball bat next to the power pedestal.

travelin texans
08-15-2020, 08:13 AM
We used ours daily for 10+ years in all types of privately owned parks & national/state/county/city campgrounds with nothing locking it in place & it never once walked away. But if you feel the need a bike lock is an easy cure.
I've had so many fellow rvers ask what it was & from their responses seemed almost afraid to touch it or get near it, so maybe that's a deterrent itself. Most people have been taught to stay from large power cords laying on the ground.

LewisB
08-15-2020, 08:30 AM
We've never had a problem with ours. Maybe the "Security by Smith & Wesson" sticker helps - who'se to say.:whistling:

sourdough
08-15-2020, 08:52 AM
I carry a supply of these to place by the ems :lol::

https://looserounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/743F6A15-A7D1-4ECE-96CC-255D9E9D0C34-1024x768.jpeg

Actually, I've never had anyone offer to bother my ems ever, unsecured, in all my years of having one. The most attention it has ever drawn was on my last trip; some wacky individual installed the 50A plug upside down so I had to plug the ems into it...upside down then I covered the ems, breaker box and top of ped with a black trash bag; now some folks DID look at that.:)

chuckster57
08-15-2020, 10:10 AM
Danny, I like that. I should get a couple for my orange tree in the front yard. Seems people start taking them months before they are sweet and then get mad and throw them on my driveway.

Brantlyj
08-15-2020, 12:01 PM
If you have the means install a permanent one. One less thing to remember to pack and find a place for. Won’t get lost and walk away.

jvbutter01
08-15-2020, 12:08 PM
My EMS has a cable hole, as does my cord to the trailer... I just got a simple chain n lock that I have in the garage. I connects the ems to the cord. If they really want it, they can bring cable cutters and cut my cord, or the chain. This only protects me from the impulse thieves.

chuckster57
08-15-2020, 12:15 PM
My EMS is hardwired with remote display. No walking out to the pedestal to read any trouble codes, but having ANY EMS is better than not having anything.

Johnnyfry
08-15-2020, 12:20 PM
I have never had a problem. I use the security loop with a bicycle lock and I also close the box cover and run the lock cable through the cover lock. They would pretty much have to cut the line cable to the box, making the unit useless, at least for immediate use.

Ken / Claudia
08-15-2020, 01:08 PM
I would knee cap all of it's knees. That would make it crawl away.

wiredgeorge
08-15-2020, 01:26 PM
My EMS is hardwired with remote display. No walking out to the pedestal to read any trouble codes, but having ANY EMS is better than not having anything.

OK... you hardwire it and go sniffing around for a NEW TO YOU camper and have to uninstall to take it with you? Portable rules, especially if you change campers fairly regularly. I know when my PORTABLE EMS cuts power off to the trailer as my A/C stops running; don't need some app for that! :cool:

skids
08-15-2020, 02:43 PM
I carry a supply of these to place by the ems :lol::

https://looserounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/743F6A15-A7D1-4ECE-96CC-255D9E9D0C34-1024x768.jpeg

Actually, I've never had anyone offer to bother my ems ever, unsecured, in all my years of having one. The most attention it has ever drawn was on my last trip; some wacky individual installed the 50A plug upside down so I had to plug the ems into it...upside down then I covered the ems, breaker box and top of ped with a black trash bag; now some folks DID look at that.:)

LOL! Gotta love those claymore mines.

chuckster57
08-15-2020, 02:49 PM
OK... you hardwire it and go sniffing around for a NEW TO YOU camper and have to uninstall to take it with you? Portable rules, especially if you change campers fairly regularly. I know when my PORTABLE EMS cuts power off to the trailer as my A/C stops running; don't need some app for that! :cool:

I tend to keep things. Last fiver-13 1/2 yrs. this one- 8 and counting. 30 minutes to remove? drop in the bucket, to each his own :D

Summergirl
08-15-2020, 03:40 PM
We purchased a cable lock that has an alarm if the cable is cut.

mbi777
08-15-2020, 05:10 PM
We purchased a cable lock that has an alarm if the cable is cut.

Nice! Which one do you have???

Alpine
08-15-2020, 06:45 PM
Just a short piece of thick chain with lock... to go around power pedestal.

Javi
08-15-2020, 06:51 PM

I've left the last two EMS in the trailer when I sold them, the first one after 4 years and this last one after 6 years... in the greater scheme of things, they aren't that expensive and helped me get top dollar for the sale.

hornet28
08-15-2020, 07:08 PM
Ok I'm clueless. What's an EMS?

jvbutter01
08-15-2020, 07:10 PM
basicaly its a power tester/ filter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+ems&rlz=1C1EJFC_enUS910US910&oq=rv+ems&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4j69i61l3.1246j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Laredo Tugger
08-16-2020, 05:07 AM
I use an Autoformer, basically a 38 pound potable transformer/surge protector.
For now (because of it's "value") I carry it in a plastic crate and cable lock it to one of my trailer wheels,then slide it underneath the axles and cover it.
A future project is to build a lockable mount on the trailer I-beam near the drivers side rear (where the 50 amp plug is) and reconfigure my power cords (plugs) so I only handle the unit once while traveling.
RMc

Krg2383
08-16-2020, 05:49 AM
Thanks everyone. Was thinking just like a cable bike lock but wasn't sure if there was something else to try and use.

flybouy
08-16-2020, 06:18 AM
basicaly its a power tester/ filter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+ems&rlz=1C1EJFC_enUS910US910&oq=rv+ems&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4j69i61l3.1246j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Depends on your definition of filter. It doesn't actually filter as it doesn't alter the power like a power or line conditioner would. It simply monitors the power for a set of conditions/parameters and disconnects the incoming power if it's outside of those preset parameters.

Examples voltage to high or to low it will disconnect.
Wiring issues such as missing neutral or ground, or incorrectly wired like neutral and ground reversed.
A delay before allowing power restoration to protect the a/c compressor from attempting to restart with high head pressures.
Other features may be offered depending upon make/model of unit.

flybouy
08-16-2020, 06:24 AM
I use an Autoformer, basically a 38 pound potable transformer/surge protector.
For now (because of it's "value") I carry it in a plastic crate and cable lock it to one of my trailer wheels,then slide it underneath the axles and cover it.
A future project is to build a lockable mount on the trailer I-beam near the drivers side rear (where the 50 amp plug is) and reconfigure my power cords (plugs) so I only handle the unit once while traveling.
RMc

I've never locked mine. Typically I'm close enough to set it under one of the slideouts. I've had a couple of folks ask me what it was. I'll tell them what it does and add "oh I forgot, it's got a feature that it's like an electric fence and will electrocute you if you don't know the correct procedure for removing it".

Never had an issue with it walking away. :cool:

jvbutter01
08-16-2020, 06:44 AM
Depends on your definition of filter. It doesn't actually filter as it doesn't alter the power like a power or line conditioner would. It simply monitors the power for a set of conditions/parameters and disconnects the incoming power if it's outside of those preset parameters..
thanks for the correction. I was trying to put in simple terms, with google link for more information.

flybouy
08-16-2020, 07:26 AM
thanks for the correction. I was trying to put in simple terms, with google link for more information.

The intent wasn't/isn't correction but rather clarification. I try to keep in mind the broader audience if you will of readers. While I may know what the intent is a "newbie" may not. All good.

Snoking
08-16-2020, 07:43 AM

Our hardwired is four foot of cable from the trailer's power panel, so it protects the cabling from the dungeon to the power reel at the rear corner, the power reel intern connections and brushes, and the cable that feeds out of the power reel to be plugged it.

Laredo Tugger
08-16-2020, 09:50 AM
I've never locked mine. Typically I'm close enough to set it under one of the slideouts. I've had a couple of folks ask me what it was. I'll tell them what it does and add "oh I forgot, it's got a feature that it's like an electric fence and will electrocute you if you don't know the correct procedure for removing it".

Never had an issue with it walking away. :cool:

Nice "tactic" there Marshall. I guess I'm a little more anal about locking mine up. For the price I paid (for the Autoformer) I feel a little better locking it up. I know locks can not guarantee security but they can create time that no criminal wants to have against them when speed is their friend.
And as mentioned, I have found some space behind the "J"channel skirting on the drivers side rear where I can mount/weld up a hanging and lockable bracket to the "I' beam and just run cords to the unit instead of jockeying it in and out of a compartment for each set up. It will be out of site,out of weather, easy to access and secure.
RMc

flybouy
08-16-2020, 10:35 AM
Nice "tactic" there Marshall. I guess I'm a little more anal about locking mine up. For the price I paid (for the Autoformer) I feel a little better locking it up. I know locks can not guarantee security but they can create time that no criminal wants to have against them when speed is their friend.
And as mentioned, I have found some space behind the "J"channel skirting on the drivers side rear where I can mount/weld up a hanging and lockable bracket to the "I' beam and just run cords to the unit instead of jockeying it in and out of a compartment for each set up. It will be out of site,out of weather, easy to access and secure.
RMc

Mine is 30 Amp so not to heavy/bulky. Trailer came with power cord in a "mouse hole" where the cord stored in a space under the pantry. When I converted it to a twist lock I mounted the EMS in that space. Plenty of space left over to mount the Autoformer in there but just haven't got to it.

Rber1234
08-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Ok I'm clueless. What's an EMS?This is an EMS

flybouy
08-16-2020, 11:07 AM
This is an EMS

No it's not. That's a model 44260 which only offers surge protection and visual circuit analysis but is not an EMS.

BrooksFam
08-16-2020, 11:21 AM
RV EMS Vs Surge Protector: Which Is What?
RV EMS (electrical management system)

https://www.palmgear.com/rv-ems-vs-surge-protector/

jvbutter01
08-16-2020, 11:25 AM

Thanks Brooks
so I'm guessing the OP was mistaken when they said MES being walked off, they meant the Surge protector we are all referring to. I think we all get the point, well I do.

potatoes ~ poTAtoes.

BrooksFam
08-16-2020, 11:28 AM
Thanks Brooks
so I'm guessing the OP was mistaken when they said MES being walked off, they meant the Surge protector we are all referring to. I think we all get the point, well I do.

potatoes ~ poTAtoes.

There are portable EMS's also.....

https://www.bing.com/search?q=rv+ems&form=EDGTCT&qs=PF&cvid=bf4649ce5f3648d3962fd67b4b7e34ea&refig=37a8ed7e797a44a0bcd135b7aa8879b9&cc=US&setlang=en-US&elv=AQj93OAhDTi*HzTv1paQdnhLGhHMa2vdiJxvrFJ*SsM13x SPG8SUcEAiqUdQ3Zu9IZXK9C56kkUixwIy6QHL5K08S6uZxvFS 2kClTO6*xW%21O&plvar=0&PC=HCTS

sourdough
08-16-2020, 12:02 PM
RV EMS (electrical management system)

I would do more research than the above article, it's misleading. It states that an EMS and surge protector "are both designed to attain the same goal" which is false. It states further that they are designed to protect the RV from "sudden fluctuations in the current" which would be incorrect. A surge protector will protect you from a surge, not low power. The picture they show of a surge protector is a Surge Guard (brand) EMS not a surge protector. Just lots of misleading info there.

flybouy
08-16-2020, 12:05 PM
Thanks Brooks

potatoes ~ poTAtoes.

Unfortunately a lot of inexperienced folks look at the two devices and think they have the same functions. The recent offerings of surge protectors that offer a visual indication of some of the faults that an EMS device will PROTECT against just muddies the issue further.

An EMS device can be either permanently mounted inside the camper or portable at the pedestal. The EMS will cost considerably more than a surge protector.

Here's the bottom line...let's say two campers setting side by side one connected to a surge protector and one to an EMS. They both leave and return later. During their absence the voltage drops to say 100 volts.

The camper with the surge protector will have a burned up air conditioner and the control boards in his fridge and water heater burned up and possibly his converter before the Amp load gets high enough to trip the breaker.

The guy with the EMS will have no power until the correct voltage returns but the trailer will not have sustained any damage. For my money this option is well worth the extra cost.

sourdough
08-16-2020, 12:07 PM
Thanks Brooks

potatoes ~ poTAtoes.

In the initial post the OP was concerned about his portable EMS walking off. He posted nothing further that said he had a surge protector. Some things to remember; a surge guard is a surge guard - a device with limited functionalities. A Surge Guard made by Southwire is a brand and can be either an EMS or surge protector.

LHaven
08-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone. Was thinking just like a cable bike lock but wasn't sure if there was something else to try and use.

I saw this come by (https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Surge-Guard-Universal-Lock-Hasp-p/55-2767.htm) in a sale flyer this week...

wiredgeorge
08-16-2020, 02:50 PM

An EMS is a person riding in an ambulance called when you try to swipe the EMS off my power pedestal.

wiredgeorge
08-16-2020, 02:53 PM
I saw this come by (https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Surge-Guard-Universal-Lock-Hasp-p/55-2767.htm) in a sale flyer this week...

The ad you posted said:

"Made from durable high-quality plastic."

That has to be a joke!

pdaniel
08-20-2020, 07:50 AM
Cable lock. However, in the past few years I have used an EMS I have never had one stolen. But, there is always a first.

geeman
08-20-2020, 07:50 AM
Put a loop in the cord where the two cords meet. Take a large loop Padlock and put over the two cord intersection. You probably have the removeable cord at the RV so you wouldn't even have to remove the padlock until you sold the camper.

CedarCreekWoody
08-20-2020, 08:23 AM

I have one of those, only it is steel. From Amazon.

Mr Mojo
08-20-2020, 08:49 AM
I put a padlock on the pedestal, never saw one yet that didn't have a provision for a lock.

grey ghost
08-20-2020, 08:51 AM
I'm sure that works, great idea!!

murfscot
08-20-2020, 09:09 AM
Ours has these 2x3 inch stickers on the unit and the cable. Not only will no one touch it, they avoid cutting through out campsite by walking behind the trailer, past the power pedestal.

https://www.safetysign.com/images/source/large-images/E3448.png

Freadcamper
08-20-2020, 11:14 AM
Most of the electric panel boxes you plug into have a padlockable lid.

LHaven
08-20-2020, 01:08 PM
The ad you posted said:

"Made from durable high-quality plastic."

That has to be a joke!

Given that a thief can just as easily turn off the pole breaker, unplug your assembly, slice your RV cord with a six-buck cable cutter, (https://www.dpciwholesale.com/10-cable-cutter.html) and take the whole thing home to play with at his leisure, I tend to think "weakest link." Which is why mine's internal. :twocents:

On this topic, I've always wondered why TSA has approved lockable firearm "security" cases made out of essentially the same material. You might think they would have developed a "boxcutter" mental reflex by now.

flybouy
08-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Most of the electric panel boxes you plug into have a padlockable lid.

The vast majority that I've encountered have the breakers and outlets for 2 sites plus a 20 Amp GFI in one box. Locking it would not be kind to your neighbor.

jvbutter01
08-20-2020, 03:46 PM
Fly, i was thinking same thing, but then i remembered sites we have been are independent for each site, not tandem sites. Mind you, we have only recently started needing plugs in's . previously our tent didn't require power... LOL

mbi777
08-20-2020, 04:59 PM
Ours has these 2x3 inch stickers on the unit and the cable. Not only will no one touch it, they avoid cutting through out campsite by walking behind the trailer, past the power pedestal.

https://www.safetysign.com/images/source/large-images/E3448.png

Good One!!!!

jimborokz
08-23-2020, 10:35 AM
The vast majority that I've encountered have the breakers and outlets for 2 sites plus a 20 Amp GFI in one box. Locking it would not be kind to your neighbor.

I have never encountered this.

sourdough
08-23-2020, 11:03 AM
Many of the older parks we have visited had the peds for 2 sites basically back to back, sometimes with the power, water, cable (if there) on either side of a 4x4. I was told this was a throwback to when parks were either mobile home parks in the past or they were set up like a mobile home park with units back to back. The newer, RV specific parks have individual peds/utilities for each unit. I guess each has it's own merits IF they are designed properly.

The one we spend the winter in is like the former I mentioned. They are renovating so we reserved a different site for this coming winter. As I walked the site out I noticed that and individual had backed a Class A into an adjoining site (30A) then ran an extension cable to the 50A receptacle on our reserved site. I advised the owner and they said they wanted 50A and no one was in that site. I asked how long they would be there and she said she/they didn't know. I just told her to be sure and tell them come Nov. 1, if the are still there, they need to be prepared for 30A......

GMcKenzie
09-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Mine is hardwired. Can't go for a walk, display is about the fridge so I can see if there were errors and I will never "not bother" with it due to rain etc.

Next trailer will be 50 amp for sure, so no issue with it staying in my current trailer when I sell. But I've had this trailer for 10 years, and the EMS for ~8 of those.

Only thing I wish is that I could reset the display when it shows an error code. Be nice if it cleared by disabling the protection for a minute, but you have to unplug to reset it. Very minor complaint.