PDA

View Full Version : Sway

Marshmadness
08-13-2020, 06:55 PM
Towing travel trailer with Yukon Denali. Trailer is 29' Passport with one slide
Weighs around 7k I have equalizer bars the RV dealer set up the hitch at purchase. At around 65 Mph I can really feel the trailer sway. I also need to keep my tanks empty when towing, as I feel it helps. I have checked all the obvious things like tire pressure. But can't seem to drive very comfortably without it swaying and have to stay around 60. I see trailers going past me with no problem. anyone have any suggestions, fairly new to travel trailers,

sourdough
08-13-2020, 07:16 PM
Unless you have addressed them you have multiple issues, some unsafe.

A 29' trailer on the back of a Yukon Denali is just a very bad idea. The Yukon was not designed for that....it's made for a few sacks of groceries.

You need to provide 1) weights off the driver door for payload and gawr front and rear. Year and model of trailer...not 29'. That is in and of itself enough to say the Yukon isn't up to the task but additional info can help us help you. Sway is, and will be, inherent when the tail is wagging the dog as you are experiencing. It can be uncomfortable or deadly.

Please provide the above info along with type of hitch. We can, and will, help. Might not be what you want to hear but our only objective is your safety and happy travels.

koda57
08-13-2020, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't assume that your hitch was set up correctly. My last trailer was 28 feet and towed behind a 3/4 Chevrolet. They set up my Equal-i-zer sway control hitch.When I towed it home it also swayed. Set it up correctly and that corrected my problem. I would go to the manufacture of the hitch's web site for the set up procedure, and verify it was done correctly. I see a lot of 1/2 ton short wheel bases vehicles towing long trailers, some sway and some don't.

sourdough
08-13-2020, 08:16 PM
The issue will go beyond hitch setup. It will go back to trailer weight, tongue weight. After that a Yukon usually has a limited receiver. What is that max? 500lbs? Payload? GAWR? Op needs to know a lot more than that they have sway; the cause has to be identified.

flybouy
08-14-2020, 04:36 AM
Weighs around 7k I have equalizer bars the RV dealer set up the hitch at purchase. At around 65 Mph I can really feel the trailer sway. I also need to keep my tanks empty when towing, as I feel it helps. I have checked all the obvious things like tire pressure. But can't seem to drive very comfortably without it swaying and have to stay around 60. I see trailers going past me with no problem. anyone have any suggestions, fairly new to travel trailers,

Next time, note what's pulling those trailers. As has been stated numbers don't lie. It can be a harsh reality to find out that you have been mislead by salesman and sales brochures (note the common word there -sales). With a light, short wheel base vehicle with a frame only capable of towing a pop up you WILL have sway. There is no "fix" for the condition other than a more appropriate tow vehicle to trailer ratio.

Yes, having a good, properly set up hitch can HELP but it won't CURE it.

dutchmensport
08-14-2020, 04:55 AM
I agree with the other posters above. It's a harsh reality, but the tow vehicle is under par.

flybouy
08-14-2020, 05:29 AM
Just this week we were camping in PA. An older couple (I think they were 2 yrs older than us:whistling:) ) were walking and stopped to chat when they looked at our dog. The gentleman asked me if I had issues with sway. He said they were having issues since "upgrading to a larger trailer". Yup.

I told him maybe I could help. They were just around the corner from us. We walked to their site and as soon as I saw the Tahoe in front of the 30' Jayco I knew what the issue was. We looked at the weights and the hitch setup. I told them that a good 4 point wdh with sway control would reduce the sway but never eliminate it. We reviewed the numbers and I could see he was disappointed. His DW chimed in with a I told you so". :facepalm:

I explained that it happens more often than not. He said he noticed all the "large trucks" in the campground. I told him that if he asked, I'd bet that the majority of them went thru exactly what they were experiencing before they ended up with a larger truck.

Personally, my theory is the commercials showing the "towing prowess" of whatever truck or SUV is aimed at not only selling that vehicle but also the future sale of the truck that's next size up. Brilliant !

JRTJH
08-14-2020, 05:45 AM
The "general rule" for wheelbase to trailer length is:

110" wheelbase provides adequate length for a 20' trailer

Add 1 foot of trailer length for each 4 inches of wheelbase above the 110"

114"=21'
118"=22'
122"=23'
126"=24'
130"=25'
134"=26'

The Yukon Denali wheelbase is 120.9" providing for a 22'6"' trailer capacity

The Yukon XL Denali wheelbase is 134.1" providing for a 26' trailer.

Attempting to tow a longer trailer (especially a XLite or UltraLite model) will cause increased sway. To "prove that point" imagine a 8x16" balloon hanging on a string attached to the ceiling sitting next to a 8x16" cement block hanging next to it... Turn on the ceiling fan and see the graphic results of what wind will do to a "light weight trailer" behind a "short wheelbase vehicle".....

There is a member who towed with a vehicle similar to yours, upgraded his hitch to a "premium anti-sway hitch" (ProPride I think) with good results, but realized the added weight of the hitch made his payload/vehicle weight even more critical. He eventually bought a 3/4 ton truck and all his towing issues "faded away"....

skids
08-14-2020, 08:31 AM
A 29' trailer on the back of a Yukon Denali is just a very bad idea. The Yukon was not designed for that....it's made for a few sacks of groceries.

LOL! That is just a little bit of satire. :D

MarkEHansen
08-14-2020, 01:38 PM
I went through the same thing. I had a 2019 Yukon Denali which I purchased new. Then found that it was not up to pulling my current trailer (which is smaller than yours), so I had to trade it in on the current truck - at a considerable loss $-wise :(

With regard to the trailer weight, it sounds like you are using the dry weight figure - which is what the salesmen want to use, but it doesn't apply here. You need to use the GVW of the trailer, which I suspect will be quite a bit more than your quoted figure.

As for running with the tanks empty, this can back-fire on you. If the trailer is too tail heavy, not only can it sway, the sway can get out of control and destroy the entire rig (trailer and tow vehicle) with predictable consequences to passengers and cargo. There are a lot of youtube videos showing such results. They are eye-opening.

I can't express how tough of a pill this was for us to swallow, but we feel much better now, and safer too - but at least I have that "been there, done that" badge :(

Marshmadness
08-14-2020, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Getting another vehicle is not an option. I am going to see if there are some adjustments I can make to hitch setup.

sourdough
08-14-2020, 05:51 PM
What hitch do you have? If not one of the best ones you're wasting your time. We have a member who started out with a vehicle similar to yours and I believe his solution was either a ProPride or Hensley hitch. They are very expensive, heavy but they work. Other than that you need to work on some other mods.

I might add that RVing is an expensive hobby.

Marshmadness
08-14-2020, 06:03 PM
The hitch I have is an E2 round bar. I will look into a Hensley. Thanks!

sourdough
08-14-2020, 06:33 PM
The hitch I have is an E2 round bar. I will look into a Hensley. Thanks!

You need heavy duty tires, not the grocery getter, passenger tires. LT tires. You need to replace your shocks; not OEM; I would go with Bilstein. Maybe an aftermarket Hellwig sway bar in the back.

You bit off more than the SUV can chew. A propride or hensley, maybe 2k will help but it will never eliminate the reality that your vehicle is not meant for that much trailer nor that you are putting your family and others in danger.

The E2 is an entry level hitch; it should never be on your setup.

Brantlyj
08-14-2020, 07:39 PM
You need heavy duty tires, not the grocery getter, passenger tires. LT tires. You need to replace your shocks; not OEM; I would go with Bilstein. Maybe an aftermarket Hellwig sway bar in the back.

You bit off more than the SUV can chew. A propride or hensley, maybe 2k will help but it will never eliminate the reality that your vehicle is not meant for that much trailer nor that you are putting your family and others in danger.

The E2 is an entry level hitch; it should never be on your setup.

Depending on the owe vs. worth of the suv it might end up being cheaper to upgrade to a proper truck than doing everything you mention.

sourdough
08-14-2020, 07:40 PM
Depending on the owe vs. worth of the suv it might end up being cheaper to upgrade to a proper truck than doing everything you mention.

And you're are exactly right.

skids
08-15-2020, 05:22 AM
I think the E2 round bar hitch is fine for my needs but your trailer is heavier than mine. What did you say, 7000 dry weight? I believe that the E2 is rated at either 600 or 1000 lbs tongue load. Remember that at least 12% of the trailer load should be tongue load (without weight distribution by hitch). If you have propane, batteries, and some junk in the passthrough, and possibly some water, you will be very close to the E2 hitch rated maximum, assuming you have the 1000lb WDH. Also, your receiver has a rating...mine is rated at 1050lbs I think. There are many tricky constraints for rated loads and it can be difficult to determine which one is the critical factor.

MarkEHansen
08-15-2020, 05:25 AM
Some limits are expected to be hit first, like tow vehicle payload, but all the limits should/must be complied with.

flybouy
08-15-2020, 05:55 AM
The "lowest limit" for ALL factoring components is the "limiting factor". You can have a WDH rated for 1,000 lbs tongue weight and 10,000 lb trailer hut if the hitch under the vehicle is rated at 500 lb hitch weight 5,000 lb trailer than that's your limiting factor.

It's the weakest link in the chain that controls the maximum weight.

dutchmensport
08-15-2020, 06:16 AM
The "lowest limit" for ALL factoring components is the "limiting factor". You can have a WDH rated for 1,000 lbs tongue weight and 10,000 lb trailer hut if the hitch under the vehicle is rated at 500 lb hitch weight 5,000 lb trailer than that's your limiting factor.

It's the weakest link in the chain that controls the maximum weight.

Agree 100%

https://i.imgur.com/UecbPdC.jpg

LadyFaire
08-23-2020, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't assume that your hitch was set up correctly. My last trailer was 28 feet and towed behind a 3/4 Chevrolet. They set up my Equal-i-zer sway control hitch.When I towed it home it also swayed. Set it up correctly and that corrected my problem. I would go to the manufacture of the hitch's web site for the set up procedure, and verify it was done correctly. I see a lot of 1/2 ton short wheel bases vehicles towing long trailers, some sway and some don't.

When I got the new tires on my camper, it was storming out. The facility (they advertise themselves as being a CAMPER REPAIR DEPOT) hitched the camper up and brought it around to me. I ran out through the pouring rain and hopped in. Got less than a mile down the road and realized they had NOT hitched me up correctly. 2 lane road with no shoulders and MILES between cross/access streets. Thunder, lightning (lots of both) and torrential downpours. No cover anywhere nor ground solid enough to use the front jack to raise things enough to get the stabilizer bars hooked up tightly. I slowed WAY down and continued home. I now know what hauling that camper would be like without a weight distribution hitch! It was sunfishing and porpoising like crazy if I went over 40MPH. With the hitch on PROPERLY, you hardly notice the camper is back there at all - no swaying, no sunfishing, nothing. I think that hitch was the most valuable 'accessory' I bought for my camper.

Ken / Claudia
08-23-2020, 11:11 AM
People on here keep bringing up a travel trailer does not tow like a cargo, flat bed trailer etc.
They are 100 % right.
I have been towing current trailer since new with 1 ton CC long wheelbase. This is about my 7 RV.
Last week I rented a dump trailer that had 14000 GVWR. Bed was 14 ft long, trailer around 18 ft long. With 3 yards of rock at about 4 tons according to scale. It is the heaviest load I have pulled. It did not pull like a RV at all. Hard to describe, but maybe it was rock solid pulling at freeway speed. I am guessing as others have pointed out. It is the lower height of the load, and lower overall size of the trailer vs the giant sail that catches the wind of a full size RV.

Gunny Mike
08-23-2020, 11:18 AM
I tow my 38.3' Outback with a 2006 F250 with a 6.0 and don't feel comfortable driving it faster then 65 mph. I feel like it's starts to sway a bit at 70.

Thoremilly
08-23-2020, 12:04 PM

Dollars to donuts your overweight or you have too much in the rear of the trailer. I have a 5th wheel and 60 is max. I can run 75 with no problem but the equipment takes a pounding for the sake of 15 minutes.

blubuckaroo
08-23-2020, 02:54 PM
Dollars to donuts your overweight or you have too much in the rear of the trailer. I have a 5th wheel and 60 is max. I can run 75 with no problem but the equipment takes a pounding for the sake of 15 minutes.

Is your Yukon the 1500 or the 2500 model?

razor 68
08-24-2020, 11:05 AM
you did not mention if your Yukon was 1/2 or 3/4 ton. check your hitch ball height compared to your levelled trailer coupler height. tongue low and trailer bounces- tongue to high and trailer dog walks(sways). load as much as possible to center of camper. check into a swaybar setup for your hitch-hear a lot of longtime campers call their weight distribution bars sway bars when they are not for that purpose. if your camper squats you then think about air lift bags.

razor 68
08-24-2020, 11:20 AM
I previously pulled a 8k tt with a 01 ram 1500 and know what a good crosswind can do to whiten your knuckles but drug it all over the place (at 9mpg). I currently pull a 11k tt around with a 10 k2500 and a pumped-up Duramax so I can also respect what other people are saying. it is a night and day difference. my current rig could care less and averages 18mpg pulling my tt down the interstate at 75. do what you can afford to do and be safe--sometimes you just have to take your time getting there and enjoy the trip.

flybouy
08-24-2020, 12:41 PM
I previously pulled a 8k tt with a 01 ram 1500 and know what a good crosswind can do to whiten your knuckles but drug it all over the place (at 9mpg). I currently pull a 11k tt around with a 10 k2500 and a pumped-up Duramax so I can also respect what other people are saying. it is a night and day difference. my current rig could care less and averages 18mpg pulling my tt down the interstate at 75. do what you can afford to do and be safe--sometimes you just have to take your time getting there and enjoy the trip.

Pulling an 11K trailer @ 18 mpg? Was that 75 mph a tailwind or was that on bio diesel made from the beans from Jack's beanstalk ? :popcorn:

Roose17
08-24-2020, 01:12 PM
Had similar issues. How we solved it might not be a viable option, nor one you have not already heard. However we did find having the below information was powerful.

Load up the trailer and TV with everything/everyone you take on a typical trip. Then hit the nearest CAT scale to get your actual weights. (with trailer hooked up and without) Then compare these to the door sticker on the TV.

You may find dramatically downsizing your payload in both the TV and the trailer helpful.

wiredgeorge
08-24-2020, 01:56 PM
It appears the weight police squad has chased away an overloaded Yukon owner. The OP is 8 days since checking in. The horse is dead.

razor 68
08-25-2020, 05:12 AM
yes flybouy I get 18mpg pulling my camper and 24mpg empty. my Duramax made 586hp and 1242ft/lbs on rollerdyno. if your driving a gasser or a stock diesel you would not understand. no disrespect meant. s&b fresh air breather,efi live controller,borla exhaust,egr delete, demented diesel intercooler,,oversized injectors

Brantlyj
08-25-2020, 06:24 AM
yes flybouy I get 18mpg pulling my camper and 24mpg empty. my Duramax made 586hp and 1242ft/lbs on rollerdyno. if your driving a gasser or a stock diesel you would not understand. no disrespect meant. s&b fresh air breather,efi live controller,borla exhaust,egr delete, demented diesel intercooler,,oversized injectors

I can vouch for this. I have a customer with a chipped and deleted 1-ton. Heís punching 20 mpg pulling a fully loaded horse trailer.

JRTJH
08-25-2020, 06:29 AM

I can vouch for this. I have a customer with a chipped and deleted 1-ton. Heís punching 20 mpg pulling a fully loaded horse trailer.

I'd ask: What is the "cost" the rest of us are paying for this "buildout of a clean diesel engine" in increased pollution to the air that all of us breathe"?????

The objective of "emissions control" is to reduce the airborne pollution that affects all of us. Does this kind of modification to a truck affect the rest of us negatively? and: Does it meet federal guidelines for emissions control??? If it does, where do I sign up for the mods? If it doesn't, is it even legal ???

flybouy
08-25-2020, 06:30 AM

I'm not unfamiliar with deleted or modified diesels (or gassers for that matter). Have several friends that have deleted diesels.

Removing the EPA stuff can improve efficiency but that only goes so far. After you reach the maximum efficiency improvement then the only way you increase power is with more fuel, air and compression.

razor 68
08-25-2020, 07:36 AM
yes I am guilty of being not so clean anymore. I live in a small farming community and between the old grain trucks and semis around here I am very clean. not to mention all the tractors burning non low sulfer fuel. compared to the local cummins and powerstrokes I put out very little black smoke. no compliance testing in my area!sorry guys- that I cannot deny but sure do like suprising sportscars on the highway.lol

flybouy
08-25-2020, 08:23 AM

You can personally vouch for this? So you're saying that that you have traveled with and calculated the mpg or are you passing on what was said?

Brantlyj
08-25-2020, 08:53 AM
You can personally vouch for this? So you're saying that that you have traveled with and calculated the mpg or are you passing on what was said?

After the last time I stated something as fact and several people told me in no uncertain terms that I didnít know how to quantify the effectiveness of marketing for my own business and I was making numbers up Iím not getting into this again.

I have no reason to lie, inflate or otherwise mislead to strangers on the internet. Either you believe what Iím saying or not. Thereís no reason to question me. :popcorn:

razor 68
08-25-2020, 08:53 AM
I have a friend with a twin turbo setup on a 5.9cummins that measured over 700hp and gets better mpg than another camping buddy with a bone stock 2018 ram 2500.

flybouy
08-25-2020, 09:16 AM
After the last time I stated something as fact and several people told me in no uncertain terms that I didnít know how to quantify the effectiveness of marketing for my own business and I was making numbers up Iím not getting into this again.

I have no reason to lie, inflate or otherwise mislead to strangers on the internet. Either you believe what Iím saying or not. Thereís no reason to question me. :popcorn:

I never claimed that you "lie, inflate or otherwise mislead to strangers on the internet". As to "Either you believe what Iím saying or not. Thereís no reason to question me." well, I think there's every reason to question whether a claim like that is a witnessed fact or if it's something that's "passed on" from someone else. I don't know you so I have no basis to either "blindly" believe nor disbelieve what you say. I have heard many questionable claims around the campfire, standing in someone's garage, or at the rod and gun club. I like fact over "anecdotal fishing stories". If you choose to "blindly believe" everyone and everything they say then I wish you luck.

razor 68
08-25-2020, 09:28 AM
I cannot attest to everyones expertise but I have run a automotive repair shop for 20 years. I began by running a 70 Chevelle at the local dragstrip at 19 with a swapped out twin carbed-nitrous fed 327. we have 2 good diesel performance shops just 20 miles up the road and I have personally seen numbers over 1000 on the dyno. in my area if you cannot put 20k of hay bales behind it then your not in the loop.to each his own

flybouy
08-25-2020, 09:45 AM
I have a friend with a twin turbo setup on a 5.9cummins that measured over 700hp and gets better mpg than another camping buddy with a bone stock 2018 ram 2500.

"Better" I believe but the better than another person has many variables including driving styles, loads, gearing, terrain, etc. In my thinking that's not definitive but as I say, better is believable as we all know the EPA equipment comes at a MPG cost.

I question when claims are made that someone is reporting a 100% increase in fuel mileage over what the vast community reports of 9 - 13 mpg towing heavy fivers. If those claims are true, then I want to know how that was accomplished. If an engine has the H.P. and torque numbers doubled, AND the fuel usage halved, AND there wasn't a serious issue with the engine before the mods, then I want to know how that was accomplished.

blubuckaroo
08-25-2020, 09:58 AM
I havenít found the on board mileage meters to be that accurate. Mine have been pretty far off when using the old school ciphering method.

flybouy
08-25-2020, 10:04 AM
I havenít found the on board mileage meters to be that accurate. Mine have been pretty far off when using the old school ciphering method.

I love to play with my "lie-o-meter". Check it going downhill and get 40 mpg and check it going up at 4 mpg. Always check my mileage by filling tank and doing the math with the milage and the gallons used at the fill up.

sourdough
08-25-2020, 10:08 AM
I love to play with my "lie-o-meter". Check it going downhill and get 40 mpg and check it going up at 4 mpg. Always check my mileage by filling tank and doing the math with the milage and the gallons used at the fill up.

I've found that manually computing miles/gallons at each fillup is very depressing when towing. On the other hand, as I watch that computer mileage and it's showing 4mpg I can just let off the accelerator and now I'm getting 99 MPG!!! Talk about a feeling of exhilaration - who woulda thought!!

Just chillin
08-25-2020, 11:13 AM
I like my Lie-o-meter! Because if Iím getting less than the average 10 to 11 MPG that it shows , that really sucks.

razor 68
08-25-2020, 12:00 PM
filled my truck up- drove to fort Madison,iowa-filled back up to compute my mileage. have done it twice now and let pumps shut off on their own. truck doesn't have mileage computer. both times averaged right around 18mpg. that is the only way I have known to truly get average. I have friends with stock duramaxes who tell me 12 or so on thiers. to get a diesel to 500 plus hp is far from maxing her potential out. a simple turbo change can gain that much over stock and still increase mpg because it really is not trying too hard to do the same job. can not compare diesel mods to gasser mods. they don not have the same effect on mpg . your stock diesel is choked out bad from the factory to please the clean air act with no reguards for actual performance. as long as it gets the job done the average joe is happy

razor 68
08-25-2020, 12:24 PM
seems to me this has moved away from what this site is about- enjoying the camping lifestyle and became a truck debate. I am a huge cummins fan but am a bigger Allison t1000 transmission fan so went to a chevy. have a lot of camping friends with different rigs and have to say in all honesty that my buddys with stock powerstrokes tell me some disapointing mpg figures.

ACE123
08-25-2020, 09:07 PM
Check out the Hensley Hitch, it will eliminate the trailer sway - expensive but it works. Won't help so much with an overweight condition if that is what you have.