PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for cleaning grey tank sensors

pakuma
08-13-2020, 01:45 PM
What would you recommend to clean the sensors in both of the grey tanks in my 2013 29rks. I clean the black tank religiously with Calgon and Dawn and have had very few black tank sensor issues.
Thanks in advance

wiredgeorge
08-13-2020, 03:29 PM
What would you recommend to clean the sensors in both of the grey tanks in my 2013 29rks. I clean the black tank religiously with Calgon and Dawn and have had very few black tank sensor issues.
Thanks in advance

Why do you wish to clean the gray tank sensors?

dutchmensport
08-13-2020, 04:27 PM
Unless you are in a permanent site, you add the Dawn and a some water to the tanks and go for a drive. When you reach your destination, flush the tanks out. Do this every time you move and your sensors will respond.

However, if you are sitting in a permanent spot and not moving the camper, you might as well forget the sensors completely. The only possibility is to use a toilet wand down the toilet attached to a garden hose, and work it around and around and around: YouTube video, click here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piepvMHSnAg) ... no, not my video. But a simple demonstration.

chuckster57
08-13-2020, 04:36 PM
I have had about 98% success using Dawn Ultra Blue and hot water.

Bill-2020
08-14-2020, 07:26 PM
Thanks in advance

Do the same with the grey as you do with the black if you're having good results.

I use Dawn religiously in the kitchen sink when doing the dishes. And I make sure I use "plenty" of it for that purpose of keeping things as clean as possible down there. I only had one issue one time a while back with a malfunctioning sensor in the grey tank. I used a couple of black tank drop in pods, filled the grey with fresh water and let it sit for a few days. Then dumped it and all was well. Not sure why the malfunction, but it was a one time thing.

sourdough
08-14-2020, 07:40 PM
There are many ways to "attempt" to clean your sensors and then you "hope" that whatever they say is accurate. I've had temporary success...for a very short time and a lot of trouble buying this and that to clean it out etc. Over 35 years my tanks know what they are doing and they talk to me. I also know how long it takes doing usual "business" to empty the tanks.

The monitors are a new "revelation" in the last several years that have led many folks unfamiliar with camping in an RV to "depend" on them...have to have them. The were never there before and things worked perfectly; I never look at my "indicators" because I don't need to.

wiredgeorge
08-15-2020, 07:52 AM
My question was never answered; why clean gray tanks? There is no toilet paper or such to gum up the sensors from working.

travelin texans
08-15-2020, 08:02 AM
My question was never answered; why clean gray tanks? There is no toilet paper or such to gum up the sensors from working.

My question is why are you wasting time trying to fix something that won't work past the next tank full anyway.
I'm like the other Danny & haven't even looked at the pretty red lights in years, just listen.

wiredgeorge
08-15-2020, 08:43 AM
My question is why are you wasting time trying to fix something that won't work past the next tank full anyway.
I'm like the other Danny & haven't even looked at the pretty red lights in years, just listen.

Danny You not needing to look at the sensors isn't my point here. I asked the OP WHY clean the gray tanks. The OP never mentioned the sensors and there is no reason for them to malfunction in gray tanks due to not cleaning. The OP got lots of black tank wisdom but I personally have NEVER cleaned a gray tank and can think of no good reason to do so.

travelin texans
08-15-2020, 10:33 AM
Danny You not needing to look at the sensors isn't my point here. I asked the OP WHY clean the gray tanks. The OP never mentioned the sensors and there is no reason for them to malfunction in gray tanks due to not cleaning. The OP got lots of black tank wisdom but I personally have NEVER cleaned a gray tank and can think of no good reason to do so.

Totally agree!

chuckster57
08-15-2020, 01:03 PM
I had a customer bring in his class C with gray tanks reading full and shower not draining. Turns out he left the gray open all the time, and it no longer drained.

I had to take the gray valve apart and “chip away” all the soap scum and hair. It was GROSSER than doing a black tank valve. Needless to say after I cleared what I could I used a 1/4 bottle of Dawn ultra and hot water. Got it read 2/3. Instructed him to use it a couple more times and keep the valve closed until needing to be dumped. 2 weeks later he came back for something else but said his sensors were working as designed.

My point is Dawn Ultra blue and hot water WORK!! And as I have said since I’ve been a member, with proper maintenance ALL sensors will work as designed.

dutchmensport
08-15-2020, 01:32 PM
I have found, cleaning the grey tank does have advantages in keeping smells down. I can dump my grey tank on the ground at my house, and sometimes it smells pretty bad. Just like a black tank, food particals can stick to the walls, (and the sensors) and after a while smell really, really bad when dumping.

Again, the absolute easiest solution to clean up the grey tank (as well as the black), is to leave some water in the tank and hit the road. The water sloshing in the tank is all that REALLY needs to be done to clean things off that like to "hang around" (literally.)

BrooksFam
08-15-2020, 03:15 PM
I believe some of the grey tank additives also have cleaning agents in them.

I have put my leftover ice in the black tank (down head) when leaving camp and the sloshing around helps scrub the tank walls and sensors. Might work in the grey tank if you can get ice in there.

markcee
08-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Just curious....if he left his grey valves open, waste water would be constantly draining through the outlet. How did soap scum and hair mange to dry up and solidify..sealing a 3” pipe, under these conditions? What am I missing? I thought it was a pretty common practice to leave the grey(s) open until you wanted to fill ‘em up some to aid in sewer hose flushing after dumping the black.

flybouy
08-15-2020, 04:10 PM

When we bought our hybrid trailer years ago the previous owner had it in a cg next to a large state games area in PA. I think he used it mainly as a hunting camp.I also think he regularly poured grease down the kitchen sink from frying food.

As hard as tried the gray tank would drain slowly. Many back Flushing would result in white chucks but still wouldn't flow well. After some investigating the gray tank was in line with the 3" drain line. So I took the camper to a car wash and spent a couple of rolls worth of quarters holding the high pressure wand in the drain line.

I could have filled a 10 at. galvanized bucket with all the chunks of white solids that came out of that tank. I don't think the black tank ever had anything innit before we bought it. Amazing what some people will do.

chuckster57
08-15-2020, 04:41 PM
Just curious....if he left his grey valves open, waste water would be constantly draining through the outlet. How did soap scum and hair mange to dry up and solidify..sealing a 3” pipe, under these conditions? What am I missing? I thought it was a pretty common practice to leave the grey(s) open until you wanted to fill ‘em up some to aid in sewer hose flushing after dumping the black.

Gray is normally 1 1/2” not 3”. I don’t know how his clogged but I do know it was nastier than anything else I have dealt with.

pakuma
08-20-2020, 08:42 AM

I want to clean them because the sensors show full when completely empty. I am hoping to at least be able to clean them enough to get a rough idea of where the tank is, i know the sensors are very unreliable.

Canonman
08-20-2020, 09:19 AM
I'm with the Chuckster on this one. Properly cleaned and maintained the sensors are reasonable indicators as to the fill levels of your tanks. Food particles soap scum etc can affect the sensors. Remember, they are only looking for a ground potential to activate the sensor circuit and send current to the monitor.
I'd try Chuckster's suggestion and see if it works. We do this after each camping session and so far absolutely no problems with any of the tanks or indicators.

BrooksFam
08-20-2020, 09:19 AM

Grease and soap scum may render the sensors less accurate.

sonofcy
08-20-2020, 09:42 AM
I had a customer bring in his class C with gray tanks reading full and shower not draining. Turns out he left the gray open all the time, and it no longer drained.

I had to take the gray valve apart and “chip away” all the soap scum and hair. It was GROSSER than doing a black tank valve. Needless to say after I cleared what I could I used a 1/4 bottle of Dawn ultra and hot water. Got it read 2/3. Instructed him to use it a couple more times and keep the valve closed until needing to be dumped. 2 weeks later he came back for something else but said his sensors were working as designed.

My point is Dawn Ultra blue and hot water WORK!! And as I have said since I’ve been a member, with proper maintenance ALL sensors will work as designed.

Is this the Dawn Ultra blue you use?
https://www.amazon.ca/Ultra-Concentrated-Detergent-Original-Bottle/dp/B00S7NMB86/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=dawn+ultra+blue&qid=1597945238&sr=8-1

raylinkz
08-20-2020, 11:30 AM
I've used the GEO method for many years. Find the instructions here:
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

The only thing I add is to add a couple of gallons of water with softener and soap when I'm traveling.

PS Bleach is your friend in killing bacteria that causes odors.

I use the sensors to indicate if i'm over half full; Keep your black and gray water gates closed and empty both tanks using the GEO method.

Any soap or liquid soap works although Dawn is the best at cutting grease and oil crud.

sonofcy
08-20-2020, 01:30 PM
I've used the GEO method for many years. Find the instructions here:
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

The only thing I add is to add a couple of gallons of water with softener and soap when I'm traveling.

PS Bleach is your friend in killing bacteria that causes odors.

I use the sensors to indicate if i'm over half full; Keep your black and gray water gates closed and empty both tanks using the GEO method.

Any soap or liquid soap works although Dawn is the best at cutting grease and oil crud.

And the bleach will kill the beneficial bacteria in the septic system many parks are connected to. Reading your article is very enlightening especially the part where you advocate lying to the property owner about what chemicals you are using on their property.

Todd 423
08-20-2020, 02:35 PM
TST probe cleaner

raylinkz
08-20-2020, 03:22 PM
And the bleach will kill the beneficial bacteria in the septic system many parks are connected to. Reading your article is very enlightening especially the part where you advocate lying to the property owner about what chemicals you are using on their property.

First, a short time spent studying the chemistry of bleach will educate one to the short half life when diluted in water or even just left to the atmosphere...

Finally, No harm, no foul for those of us who have been on a septic tank most or our married life, just celebrated 52 years, and use bleach in our clothes washer per instructions on the bleach bottle.

I also dump my RV tanks into my septic tank at my home. My current septic tank was being used when I purchased my home and I fully intended to have it pumped but didn't follow up for almost 18 years. The tank pumped out find and according to the plumber had a very healthy sludge with no problems indicated.

Nowhere in my post do I indicate that I 'lie' about what chemicals I use, because I don't.. I have never been asked what chemicals I use in my tanks, and if I did, I can assure you that I would not lie.

PS my county drinking water supply can contain up to 4 ppm of chlorine for disinfection purposes. (per the annual report)

Philipclopez
09-19-2020, 10:39 PM
I accidentally read an article in which they instruct to do Geo method (https://www.riversidetrailer.com/how-to-clean-rv-holding-tank-sensors/). I followed the instructions and had success with them

travelin texans
01-26-2021, 07:24 PM
Steps to clean the sensor of gray tanks

Step 1: Close the valve of your gray tank.

Step 2: Fill your gray tank with water (You can fill the water at the highest level of the sensor to remove entire debris.

Step 3: Glug 20 or more ounces of dish soap down the kitchen sink line. You can see it foaming back out of the shower lines or the sink and it is okay. The enzymes of grease-eating will run through the pipes to remove grease.

Step 4: Keep this work overnight during your sleep.

Step 5: In the next day, open the valve of a gray tank and dump it.

Step 6: Fill and dump your tank a few times to rinse it completely. You can repeat this process until the sensor is restored.

Step #7: Forget steps 1-6, waste of time, energy, $$, don't pay attention to the useless sensors, learn the sounds & signals given when nearing full.

skids
01-27-2021, 07:48 AM
What sounds and signals Danny? Do you put an ear to the shower drain as water is ran elsewhere???

travelin texans
01-27-2021, 09:56 AM
What sounds and signals Danny? Do you put an ear to the shower drain as water is ran elsewhere???

You won't have listen for the shower, you'll be ankle deep at the most inopportune time when it let's you know. The kitchen, if separate from the bath, unless you wash lots of dishes, will usually be the slowest to fill & will last til the black is full.
As for the toilet, it has a very distinctive burp or gurgle when it's nearing full.
All of which is more useful than the sensors.

dutchmensport
01-27-2021, 01:55 PM
Do the same thing for your grey tank(s) as you do for the black. Add some water, some soap, and go for a drive. The sloshing will clean the sensors.

Scout179
02-01-2021, 02:42 AM
Has anyone tried using a septic tank additive like Rid-ex in a full grey tank to clean sensors. Adding it to a full tank and allowing it to sit for several days would seem to be a simple solution. What am I missing?

Brantel
02-01-2021, 05:02 AM
Happy Campers!!!!!!!

Brantel
02-01-2021, 05:04 AM
Has anyone tried using a septic tank additive like Rid-ex in a full grey tank to clean sensors. Adding it to a full tank and allowing it to sit for several days would seem to be a simple solution. What am I missing?

Ridex is anaerobic bacteria. I would not expect it to work well in a grey tank unless you leave it undisturbed for a month.

JRTJH
02-01-2021, 06:59 AM
Ridex is anaerobic bacteria. I would not expect it to work well in a grey tank unless you leave it undisturbed for a month.

Even then, I wouldn't expect much in the way of results. Anaerobic bacteria are "living creatures" that need food to grow and reproduce. There's lots of "food in a black tank" but bacteria trying to find food in a gray tank is like a human trying to find the "oasis in the desert"... There's just not enough food in most gray tanks for Rid-X to survive.

Scout179
02-01-2021, 08:29 AM
I understand the thinking. If there is something on the sensor in that tank, would it not be more subject to "attack" by the bacteria? I don't really care if it survives. I just want the sensors cleaned.

JRTJH
02-01-2021, 08:56 AM
I understand the thinking. If there is something on the sensor in that tank, would it not be more subject to "attack" by the bacteria? I don't really care if it survives. I just want the sensors cleaned.

IMHO, for what it's worth, there's not enough organic material in most gray tanks to allow the bacteria to multiply in sufficient numbers to "attach the crud on the sensors"... It's like using 2 ounces of varnish to waterproof the side of a house. There's just "not enough stuff" on the brush to cover the area... Same with Rid-X in a gray tank. There's just not enough "stuff" to feed the masses to create enough "hungry bacteria offspring" to make a significant difference... If you can't get the bacteria colony populated, you can't get the population big enough to consume what little crud is on the sensors.

I'd strongly suspect that the "full gray tank with a box of Rix-X in it" would sour and turn rank from dead bacteria (starved to death) as mold takes over the "wet scum" and makes an even more rank problem.

If you want to "experiment with cleaning the sensors" I'd suggest buying a bottle of "holding tank sensor cleaner" that's designed for the job, or, you might try a cup or so of "automatic dishwasher detergent" (NOT DAWN LIQUID DISH SOAP). Pour it into the sink, follow with several gallons of hot water, fill the gray tank about half full and tow the trailer several hundred miles. Dishwasher gel and powder, have aluminum oxide (acts like sand paper) along with other chemicals, that act to dissolve solid, cooked on waste. That would be much more beneficial than relying on a black tank bacteria to work where it's not intended to work.

The stuff that adheres to your gray tank sensors is much different than a black tank sensor "stuff". What's designed to work in a S&B septic tank "that never gets emptied" can't/won't do the same thing in a RV black tank (where it has food) but is emptied every 3 or 4 days and can't work in a RV gray tank where the bacteria die from lack of food.

Scout179
02-02-2021, 10:26 AM
I believe your conclusions are probably accurate.
Thank you for being so precise and in depth.

Preyou
03-13-2021, 07:36 PM
Has anyone used Cascade dishwasher pods for the black and/or grey water tanks for cleaning. I am thinking of filling 1/2 to 3/4 full and adding 2 pods per tank. Driving a hour or so and let soak over night. Thoughts and comments please.

Brantel
03-13-2021, 07:37 PM
Has anyone used Cascade dishwasher pods for the black and/or grey water tanks for cleaning. I am thinking of filling 1/2 to 3/4 full and adding 2 pods per tank. Driving a hour or so and let soak over night. Thoughts and comments please.

Just get some happy campers!