PDA

View Full Version : Gray/ Black water tank meter

Erutledge7
08-11-2020, 12:03 PM
Is there a more reliable way to know if these tanks are full? Last time I was camping at a water/ electric site, i kept checking the meter and it said I was fine then I had about 4 inches of water standing in my shower. Is that the only place I will notice water standing if my gray tank needs to be emptied?

sourdough
08-11-2020, 01:24 PM
Ours has always been shower and sink (if you have 2 gray tanks). First trailer we got with the tank monitors I thought it was going to be cool. Well, they're not for us because they just don't work accurately. Some folks have good luck with them but we never have. Thankfully we went for years without them and your trailer will let you know when they are getting full; they will "talk" to you or begin to give off odors...or, do it a bit and you will get a feel for how long you can go with your particular style of camping before dumping is required.

CedarCreekWoody
08-11-2020, 01:35 PM
If your galley tank is separate from the grey tank it will back up to the kitchen sink.

wiredgeorge
08-11-2020, 02:41 PM
Is there a more reliable way to know if these tanks are full? Last time I was camping at a water/ electric site, i kept checking the meter and it said I was fine then I had about 4 inches of water standing in my shower. Is that the only place I will notice water standing if my gray tank needs to be emptied?

My shower dumps into the black tank and yes, we have used your method for determining that the black tank was full.

There are probes in your tanks; these conduct electricity through water and light the idiot lights on your panel. They are easy to replace (have to get under trailer and have access to side of tank). I replaced mine with Horst Miracle Probes which are pretty much the same as what came with the camper but have little hoods on them to prevent "stuff' from accumulating. There are more expensive systems to monitor how full a tank is if you google this type device.

As you camp, you will learn how often you need to dump without paying much attention to the idiot lights which seldom are accurate.

Hblick48
08-11-2020, 03:39 PM
I installed the SeeLevel Tank Monitor system. Works great!

chuckster57
08-11-2020, 04:03 PM
I installed the SeeLevel Tank Monitor system. Works great!

Excellent system. As I remember it reads in 10ths not thirds and doesn’t have any sensors sticking out of the tank walls for anything to hang up on.