PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Jack

RWRiley
08-10-2020, 09:07 AM
What do you guys carry for a jack ?
I have the split Axles, and I think I have to jack up the whole side of the trailer, so about 2 tons I think. I'm thinking floor jack or bottle jack. The floor Jacks get pretty heavy....hard to handle, but more stable maybe ?

wiredgeorge
08-10-2020, 09:17 AM
I have the split Axles, and I think I have to jack up the whole side of the trailer, so about 2 tons I think. I'm thinking floor jack or bottle jack. The floor Jacks get pretty heavy....hard to handle, but more stable maybe ?

Bottle jack set on some solid wood cribbing as the bottle jacks can't sit on the ground and lift high enough. I think the one bottle jack I carry is 5 ton. I also have a jack stand to support things more solidly once up. My cribbing is about 4" thick and has a wide enough base the bottle jack is securely on the ground.

travelin texans
08-10-2020, 09:34 AM
Floor jack is not a good choice if your off in the dirt as it won't roll.
Bottle jack is a better choice with a couple wide blocks underneath.
Or the Anderson doodad that you pull forward or back onto to raise the opposite wheel off the ground works well as long as you don't have the wide spread axles.

chuckster57
08-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Bottle jack here. Lifts a lot and stores easily in the tool box in the bed.

sourdough
08-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Andersen Rapid Jack, 2 8 ton bottle jacks, wood blocks.....multiple roadside assistance plans....:lol:

GASMAN6674
08-10-2020, 11:56 AM
I carry a 8 ton bottle jack and cribbing also. I have the trailer aid ramp doodad but it didn't work well with my old trailer , it would not lift the wheel high enough. Fortunately I have not need to try it yet with the Cougar

notanlines
08-10-2020, 01:41 PM
Bottlejack, at a minimum of 6 ton, and don't jack the whole side, just place the jack Like George said on the ground with a short 2x8 and jack where the leaf spring is attached to the axle. (Not on the axle itself)

NH_Bulldog
08-10-2020, 03:41 PM
I had a staple in a tire last year and used the jack from my truck under the saddle to lift that one wheel. The load equalization system allows one to go up without having to lift the whole side. If it can lift my truck, it can lift the trailer and I don’t have to buy/haul another jack.

skids
08-10-2020, 04:00 PM
I made a ramp qizmo out of 4 lengths of 2x6 sections for a total of 6 inches high. Pull front tire up to change the rear or back rear tire onto ramp to change the front. I have split axles and it works fine. I can also use as many boards from the ramp as I need to level one of the axles. I have the legos cube to level the other or possibly to help out the hitch jack.

Getn off
08-10-2020, 07:21 PM
I just call AAA. If I need to change myself, I plan on just using the rigs jack system.
Troy

RWRiley
08-11-2020, 01:32 AM
Picked up a bottle jack. Thanks all !

JRTJH
08-11-2020, 04:51 AM
Picked up a bottle jack. Thanks all !

I would suggest, if you've never actually changed a tire on THAT SPECIFIC TRAILER, that one Saturday when you're not busy with other things, park it on in a safe, level area and gather the tools you'll need to change a tire and ACTUALLY change one. That includes mounting the spare on the wheel, then undoing all of it.....

You'd be surprised how many people "think they have what they need" only to find out, on the side of the road, that a tool is missing and they're STUCK.....

Imagine getting everything you "think" you need to change the tire, then realizing, on the side of the road, you don't have the 5/8" socket or wrench to loosen the spare tire from its mount..... That's just one of many "issues" that you might not realize you're going to get into. Others are the length of the extension needed so you can get "past the tire sidewall" with your lug wrench setup....

Do it on a leisurely pace, at home, then put everything you used in the trailer so you'll have what you need, on the road.....

Getn off
08-11-2020, 05:44 AM
Great idea for sure. I keep a tq wrench, socket, air compressor, and extension for just this type of emergency. I just dont carry an extra jack.
Troy

wiredgeorge
08-11-2020, 06:26 AM
Great idea for sure. I keep a tq wrench, socket, air compressor, and extension for just this type of emergency. I just dont carry an extra jack.
Troy

The lug nuts have been tightened really tight and most of the time they are tight enough to where you need some mechanical leverage help or an air impact driver and most little compressors folks drag in their RV will not get the job done if connected to an air impact driver. An electric impact driver SEEMS to make sense but when you want to change that tire on the side of the road, may not have 110V available. In this case, having a good quality cordless electric impact driver will make life easier as well as having a 5/8" impact driver deep socket.

MarkEHansen
08-11-2020, 09:28 AM
I chose to go with the battery operated impact wrench.

Note that an "impact driver" is a drill driver with impact capability - and is meant for light-duty jobs. This is likely not enough to handle the torque of our lug nuts. An "impact wrench" is a tool built just for this purpose.

Here is an example of a battery-operated impact driver:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF885C1-20V-Impact-Driver/dp/B01LBT3AZU?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Here is an example of a battery-operated impact wrench:
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT08Z-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless/dp/B01CA04RH4

You can see the impact wrench is a lot larger/beefier.

Also, the impact sockets won't fit into the recesses in my wheels, so I have to use a normal socket. I have a couple of them, just in case I break one using it on the impact wrench :)

JRTJH
08-11-2020, 10:06 AM
The lug nuts have been tightened really tight and most of the time they are tight enough to where you need some mechanical leverage help or an air impact driver and most little compressors folks drag in their RV will not get the job done if connected to an air impact driver. An electric impact driver SEEMS to make sense but when you want to change that tire on the side of the road, may not have 110V available. In this case, having a good quality cordless electric impact driver will make life easier as well as having a 5/8" impact driver deep socket.

The lug nuts on my Cougar are 13/16". The nut holding the spare tire to the bumper mount (long gone on the first day of ownership) was 5/8". That's the reason I suggested "actually doing a wheel/tire change" rather than just "assuming" that someone has "what they need" only to find out "they don't".....

flybouy
08-11-2020, 11:05 AM
12 ton HF bottle jack (it was on sale same $ as a 6 ton). 20 v Dewalt impact & a drill in a bag with batteries’ charger, set of “flip sockets for lug nuts”’ and a set of Milwaukee drill bits.

mfifield01
08-11-2020, 12:34 PM
What brand bottle jack is everyone using? I've been carrying one in my truck for 7 years. It seems to be leaking some now. It's a Harbor Freight, probably why it's leaking.

CedarCreekWoody
08-11-2020, 01:32 PM
The lug nuts on my Cougar are 13/16". The nut holding the spare tire to the bumper mount (long gone on the first day of ownership) was 5/8". That's the reason I suggested "actually doing a wheel/tire change" rather than just "assuming" that someone has "what they need" only to find out "they don't".....

Not only that but some wheels require a thin wall socket, not impact sockets. And you may find you need an extension for the socket. Excellent suggestion to an actual tire removal and replacement.

sourdough
08-11-2020, 01:38 PM
What brand bottle jack is everyone using? I've been carrying one in my truck for 7 years. It seems to be leaking some now. It's a Harbor Freight, probably why it's leaking.

I've got 2 HF 8 ton bottle jacks that have given me no problem That may not be the case when I get back out there and open them up since I loaned them to some fellows trying to figure out how to jack up a trailer. One thing I've found that works for me is to put them in those waterproof Coleman lantern containers. Really beats trying to just "carry" them around.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-3000000527-Lantern-Carry-Case/dp/B000J032CE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3GMT5XE9YXLTN&dchild=1&keywords=coleman+lantern+carrying+case&qid=1597181898&sprefix=coleman+lantern+carrying+case%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-3

GASMAN6674
08-12-2020, 05:28 AM

I have found most bottle jacks do not like to be stored on their sides most have a fill port on them.

notanlines
08-12-2020, 06:07 AM
As most know I'm not the biggest fan of Harbor Freight over all, but there are some things that are maybe even better than acceptable. A good Blue Point 12-ton bottle jack is probably $100-150 range. I believe the 12-ton at HF could be had for $25 or so. (Might not quote me on these figures) Unless you are using this tool every day in your profession, why drop an extra $100 for basically the same results?

mfifield01
08-12-2020, 06:21 AM
Great idea on the Lantern case.

It has been on it's side most of time.

B-O-B'03
08-12-2020, 08:20 AM
I bought this 6-ton bottle jack (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009X8OXI/) on amazon and it came with a plastic carrying case.

I keep it in the storage compartment under the center section of the dinette

-Brian.

gtodan
08-16-2020, 07:12 AM
Safe Jack. Some complain pricey, I say safe and effective. Been there done it!

Wawhoss
08-16-2020, 07:41 AM
You might also get a 1/2” x 30” speed bar from HF for those days when your impact wrench battery dries up on you. Pack a short length of aluminum cheater pipe too. Between that speed bar and cheater pipe you won’t be stuck on the side of the road waiting for the service guy to get those over tightened lug nuts off. Don’t ask why I mentioned this.

Wawhoss

cavediver
08-16-2020, 08:01 AM
First off let me say I carry me every place I go, kinda stuck with myself. In the trailer I carry a 5 ton bottle jack and a 1.5 ton aluminum floor jack. Also like many others have said cribbing, ya can't go wrong with proper cribbing.

Jack

flybouy
08-16-2020, 08:11 AM
You might also get a 1/2” x 30” speed bar from HF for those days when your impact wrench battery dries up on you. Pack a short length of aluminum cheater pipe too. Between that speed bar and cheater pipe you won’t be stuck on the side of the road waiting for the service guy to get those over tightened lug nuts off. Don’t ask why I mentioned this.

Wawhoss

I'm guessing you meant breaker bar not speed bar. My 20 volt DeWalt batteries have held a charge for well over 6 months. I don't know how long they will hold but I've personally used the battery when it was last charged over 6 months prior to use.

DDuncan51
08-16-2020, 09:18 AM
My trailer is not a monster, so I don't carry a trailer jack while on the road. My truck scissor jack works just fine, one axle at a time. However, while at home, I use a 2 ton aluminum floor jack, more convenient than digging out the truck jack and not nearly as heavy as a steel floor jack.

LCrabtree
08-16-2020, 10:43 AM
1. Manufacturer provided a spare tire/wheel but the only wrench was that speed handle for the stabilizers. I picked up a star lug wrench after verifying the nut sizes on the spindles and spare tire carrier.
2. First time with a flat I discovered that my Harbor Freight 4T bottle jack would not fit under the axle/spring when the wheel was flat on the ground. I used the pickup scissor jack to raise it the requisite 1”, then slipped the bottle jack under the axle. Lesson here is check clearances with the tire FLAT deflated, and verify it will fit AND lift enough to mount the fresh wheel/tire.

My trailer is rated for 6500 GVWR, so I selected a 4T bottle jack.

Rubicon100
08-16-2020, 12:42 PM
I just wanted to remind some of the newer members to check the lug nuts for the spare tire.
My trailer has aluminum wheels that are pretty thick and the lug nuts are the fancy ones that have a cap on them.
The spare tire is usually on a steel wheel that is not anywhere near as thick so the lug nuts bottom out before you get them tightened.
I was fortunate enough on my little ATV trailer that I just over tightened the lug nuts and it pushed the cap off the chrome ones. I keep a spare set for the camper now. I bought the brass ones at Napa and remember the rounded acorn part goes on so that the rounded shape will center the wheels.
Hope this helps someone down the road.
Be safe and have fun, Dan

bretrider
08-16-2020, 01:52 PM
I purchased the Trailer Legs for storage of my trailer. I have a bumper pull and just throw one in the back. I also carry a 5-ton bottle jack. The only time I needed to change a tire on the road, blow out, I used the Trailer Leg and worked great.

wiredgeorge
08-16-2020, 02:05 PM
I'm guessing you meant breaker bar not speed bar. My 20 volt DeWalt batteries have held a charge for well over 6 months. I don't know how long they will hold but I've personally used the battery when it was last charged over 6 months prior to use.

Breaker bar, speed bar, whatever; a good idea if you own an Andersen Ultimate. Carry the correct size impact allen bits and make sure you
tighten set screws on the receiver part and it doesn't hurt to apply some Loctite to those screws. They tend to loosen and should be checked every trip out. A torque wrench is a good idea for the large bolts on the hitch side (or a big crescent wrench for the less mechanically inclined) although I have never had those bolts loosen a bit. I have had the Allen screws loosen on the camper side until I applied a liberal does of Loctite.

LHaven
08-16-2020, 02:07 PM
I don't see any real reason to carry a jack, given the auto-levelers already on the rig.

Last week I needed to remove a wheel to examine the rating markings on the backside. When I went to loosen the lug nuts before jacking, the wheel slipped and turned until I manually lowered the levelers so I could crack the nuts. The auto levelers had raised the rig so much just in the course of a normal leveling that the tires had next to no load on them already. My rig is parked on a very level gravel pad. so it wasn't an function of uneven grade. Once I had the nuts cracked, I raised the side slightly to get the wheel off and on again.

I know that Lippert's lawyers had to include the wording about "don't use your levelers as a jack," but if the levelers' own algorithm is going to lift the tires off the ground anyway, I'm not going to give that warning a lot of weight.

LHaven
08-16-2020, 02:17 PM
I just wanted to remind some of the newer members to check the lug nuts for the spare tire.

Also, it's worth taking your spare tire off the rack and back on again before your first trip.

On my rig, when installing a tire cover just after getting it home, I discovered that the factory had cross-threaded the lug nut such that when I attempted to unscrew it, the weld on the hanger bolt snapped, causing it to turn free. It was impossible to get a Vise Grip on to remove the lug nut. I ended up having to remove the tire, hanger, and all from the bumper and bring it back to the dealer for a warranty repair. They managed to ruin the hanger and the wheel attempting to remedy the problem; I got back a whole new assembly except for the original tire.

If I had discovered this when I actually needed to use the spare, it would have been so bad.

CedarCreekWoody
08-16-2020, 02:17 PM
Not everyone has a rig with auto revelers capable of lifting the rig.

wiredgeorge
08-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Woody, I think LHaven said his lifted using the leveling system. Am I amiss?

LHaven
08-16-2020, 02:31 PM
Not everyone has a rig with auto revelers capable of lifting the rig.

Well, certainly. When I said that I didn't see a reason to carry a jack, I meant for me, in my rig. Maybe some other people are in the same circumstance, and clearly there are others who are not. It's just an option to consider.

JRTJH
08-16-2020, 04:13 PM
Well, certainly. When I said that I didn't see a reason to carry a jack, I meant for me, in my rig. Maybe some other people are in the same circumstance, and clearly there are others who are not. It's just an option to consider.

Just thinking out loud here, but the leveling system is "GREAT" to lift a tire off the ground "when you're on relatively level ground"... If you're on an inclined road shoulder, depending on how steep the angle is, you may not want to lift the trailer by the frame (using the leveling system) as that could put your trailer in a significantly steep "side to side angle" and possibly cause it to "slide down the slope"....

In situations like that, using a jack under the axle spring hanger will not cause nearly the problem....

Just one example of when you might want to jack from the axle and not use the leveling system..... There may be other situations where it's either not convenient or even some situations where it's unsafe to "raise it by the frame"....

markcee
08-16-2020, 04:15 PM
I don't see any real reason to carry a jack, given the auto-levelers already on the rig.

Last week I needed to remove a wheel to examine the rating markings on the backside. When I went to loosen the lug nuts before jacking, the wheel slipped and turned until I manually lowered the levelers so I could crack the nuts. The auto levelers had raised the rig so much just in the course of a normal leveling that the tires had next to no load on them already. My rig is parked on a very level gravel pad. so it wasn't an function of uneven grade. Once I had the nuts cracked, I raised the side slightly to get the wheel off and on again.

I know that Lippert's lawyers had to include the wording about "don't use your levelers as a jack," but if the levelers' own algorithm is going to lift the tires off the ground anyway, I'm not going to give that warning a lot of weight.

Great in theory and I gave it a go myself last month. Unfortunately the break down lane on I 70 was angled is such a way that I could not get the jacks to deploy (Ground Control TT system), even in manual mode. 'Angle too severe' or some similar message displayed. Even tried it after pulling it up on my Anderson style levelers. So, in most circumstances, I definitely agree that using the auto level system would do the job but it won't work all the time.

A bottle jack is now in the bed of the truck!

CedarCreekWoody
08-16-2020, 04:19 PM
Woody, I think LHaven said his lifted using the leveling system. Am I amiss?

Sorry for the confusion, I just meant it not a solution for many people as they don't have that type of leveling system.

LHaven
08-16-2020, 05:29 PM
Great in theory and I gave it a go myself last month. Unfortunately the break down lane on I 70 was angled is such a way that I could not get the jacks to deploy (Ground Control TT system), even in manual mode. 'Angle too severe' or some similar message displayed

Yeah, I got that message myself, though something I did eventually get me around it (maybe playing with the other side, or boosting only a single corner jack). Strangely, I've never gotten that message on some of the most whacked out, off-level campsites I have ever ended up being assigned.

I know my own limitations. Any terrain on which my levelers won't do the job is terrain on which I probably don't want to do the job either. That's what I pay road service for.

flybouy
08-16-2020, 07:07 PM
Most road shoulders I've seen are graded away from the road for drainage. I had one flat on a road years ago (before my DeWalt cordless impact) no shoulder. I was glad I had the Trailer Aid Plus. Broke the nuts loose, drove the good tire up, and had the flat off in under 2 min. It was wet and I was happy to have to lay under the trailer.

JRTJH
08-16-2020, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I got that message myself, though something I did eventually get me around it (maybe playing with the other side, or boosting only a single corner jack). Strangely, I've never gotten that message on some of the most whacked out, off-level campsites I have ever ended up being assigned.

I know my own limitations. Any terrain on which my levelers won't do the job is terrain on which I probably don't want to do the job either. That's what I pay road service for.

If the 20 pound weight of the jack is an issue, I can understand not adding it to the already at/over weight trailer cargo... On the other hand, there are at least 10 comments in posts through the years from members with Good Sam, AAA, Foremost and other "roadside service plans" who have reported that when they called, asking for help, their "roadside service provider" has "sadly informed them that they do not provide coverage in that area, but would be happy to reimburse up to the policy limit if the member would save the receipts for the service call"..... Essentially, they relied on their roadside service to save them and, when the chips were down and they needed help, their service didn't include the area where they were located....

Being self sufficient, even if you never intend to use it, can save your "hiney" when "Superman can't find a phone booth to make his change from Clark Kent".....

blubuckaroo
08-16-2020, 08:28 PM
I can understand carrying a jack.. Why not, it only weighs around ten pounds. But, unless your is a single axle, the normal way is to drive the other wheel onto a block.
I've never needed a jack.

RWRiley
08-17-2020, 03:25 AM
I can understand carrying a jack.. Why not, it only weighs around ten pounds. But, unless your is a single axle, the normal way is to drive the other wheel onto a block.
I've never needed a jack.

I have split axles. I don't think it will work in my case.

wiredgeorge
08-17-2020, 03:34 AM
I have split axles. I don't think it will work in my case.

I think it will work to drive the wheel that the tire is holding air onto a high enough block so you can change the other wheel on your split axle camper SOMETIMES. If the surface is totally flat. I think it would a tad tough to drive up onto a piece of cribbing high enough to make it work but they do make ramps like the Camco Trailer Aid that will lift one wheel over 4" and the other is suspended for changing in theory. I have one and know it doesn't quite get the job done every time depending on where the trailer is (level or uneven surface, etc). I have a Camco Trailer Aid and a 5 ton bottle jack and cribbing so I know I can get the trailer up in any situation.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-21-Trailer-Aid-Easily-Change-a-Flat-Tire-Features-a-4-5-Lift/29764285?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=9816&&adid=22222222227021718702&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40838475032&wl4=aud-393207457166:pla-78651899792&wl5=9030627&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=135428651&wl11=online&wl12=29764285&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9K6f-pGi6wIVoP7jBx1nzAePEAQYASABEgLqHfD_BwE

flybouy
08-17-2020, 04:19 AM
The Trailer Aid Plus has a pad on top that adds 1"more lift. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Trailer-Aid-Plus-Tandem-Tire-Changing-Ramp-The-Fast-Easy-Way-To-Change-A-Trailer-s-Flat-Tire-Holds-15-000-Pounds-5-5-Inch-Lift-Yellow/29764294

BrooksFam
08-17-2020, 05:11 AM
Speaking of lug wrenches, I carry this, telescopes for a breaker bar, works great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Telescoping-Lug-Wrench-Wheel-Wrench-Extendable-Car-Wheel-Brace-Heavy-Duty-Nut-Wrench-Sockets-17-19mm-21-23mm/131320004

https://www.amazon.com/Coyote-Monkey-Wrench-Telescoping-Sockets/dp/B01E0ONGOI/ref=sr_1_16?crid=UBZTUUIOD9MW&dchild=1&keywords=lug+wrench+telescoping&qid=1597670010&sprefix=lug+wrench%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-16

Northofu1
08-17-2020, 07:43 AM
I have the self leveling system, if on solid level ground I would and have (once) used it. I also carry a 6 ton jack and 2 stands in a milk crate. Jack sits upright stands make it stay that way. They also come in handy if a spring goes and need to raise axle.
I also have two sets of lego's and I carry 4 - 2" x 8" wood cribbing tripled for each leg pad. I use the Milwaukee 1/2" 18v impact gun and a complete set of sockets.
After you're stranded once you want to make sure. I have an 8 ton jack and two safety stands at home that I had to buy when stranded to try to repair broken spring on TT.
Good Luck. :)

tonysr
08-17-2020, 04:29 PM
I went to a junkyard and got me a jack that came out of a 90's GM 3/4 ton truck. It has a removable handle and it folds for easy storage. The jack has a 6"X6" base and it is a screw type jack with a half round cradle on it which fits perfect on the axle of the trailer where the springs mount. That is the strongest part of the axle and where the spindle is inside too. Now I'm going to hear that you're not supposed to jack on the axle, yes you're not anywhere on the axle but where the spring bolts are is OK because if it can stand to hold the trailer weight there without collapsing it can stand you jacking there high enough to take the tire off. Been doin this since my first trailer in 1972 and never bent an axle yet. So if you're going to jack there with a bottle jack make sure you get a cradle that fits on the jack and axle so it don't slip off. Doing it this way you only need to jack it up approx 8 inches to get the tire off the ground.

skids
08-18-2020, 05:33 AM
It was wet and I was happy to have to lay under the trailer.

I am pretty sure that you left out the word "not" by mistake. :)

LHaven
08-18-2020, 03:25 PM
I am pretty sure that you left out the word "not" by mistake. :)

I thought he was saying that he enjoyed having the trailer keep the rain off him. :D

BrooksFam
08-24-2020, 03:08 AM
This looks like a good option. A little expensive but when you are stuck on the side of the road, $$ are less important than having the right solutions.....

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Powerbuilt/ALL620471.html

blubuckaroo
08-24-2020, 03:27 AM
This looks like a good option. A little expensive but when you are stuck on the side of the road, $$ are less important than having the right solutions.....

Thanks!
That's the best option I've seen.

JRTJH
08-24-2020, 06:08 AM

Thanks!
That's the best option I've seen.

You might want to check the "lowest height measurement" before tossing one of these in your trailer... Many of these combination jack/jack stand devices are too tall to fit under a trailer axle when the tire is flat. Don't get a "false sense of security" that it'll work based on placing it under a fully inflated tire to jack the axle. If the tire is flat, you lose about 6-8 inches of height below the axle. And, if you're intentions are to jack from the frame, 20" maximum jack height will require substantial cribbing under the jack to raise the suspension enough to get an inflated tire on the axle/hub.

I'm not suggesting this "won't work" or "isn't an adequate tool"... Rather, I'm stating that it may not fit under your axle with a flat tire on it and it probably won't raise your trailer frame high enough to install an inflated tire unless you can raise the frame rail about 30" or so. That means pretty close to 10" of cribbing in addition to the 20" jack lift capacity.

Laredo Tugger
08-24-2020, 07:48 AM
A question about the lifting point(s) on the trailer. I recently had a full time host at a campground (who did some minor repairs on some of the trailers in the park) I stayed at that told me not to lift the trailer on the U bolts under the axle as that would affect the axle alignment. He said to raise on the equalizer assembly between the leaf springs.
Where is the correct lift point?
RMc

JRTJH
08-24-2020, 08:01 AM
I've NEVER heard of anyone "recommending" using the equalizer as a jacking or lifting point for trailer suspensions. Many types of equalizers are actually a complex component made up of steel/aluminum plates, rubber bushings, and other components that can be easily damaged by "unwarranted lifting"....

If you "think about it" the U-bolts actually "support the entire trailer weight (except for the tongue/pinbox weight) all the time. Every time you tow, you subject those U-bolts to tremendous "stress" with every pothole, expansion joint, or bump that you hit. Using them "in a static configuration" to lift 1/4 of the suspension weight is nowhere near the stress placed on them by towing the trailer at 50MPH over any "well maintained road" .....

As for the equalizers: I value my CRE-3000 system far too much to "toy with that kind of foolishness" !!!!!

ADDED: The equalizer "rocks fore and aft" to equalize the axle weight as it shifts during towing. To "rely on a rocking platform" to provide a "stable surface on which to lift the trailer" ????? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen !!!!

If you do try it, don't get under the trailer, or for that matter, don't get close to the jack in case the equalizer shifts and "kicks the jack" out from under that rocking lift point.... First rule of jacking: Locate a stable, flat surface under which to place the jack.... The equalizer sure as heck ain't stable or flat .... YMMV

travelin texans
08-24-2020, 08:09 AM
A question about the lifting point(s) on the trailer. I recently had a full time host at a campground (who did some minor repairs on some of the trailers in the park) I stayed at that told me not to lift the trailer on the U bolts under the axle as that would affect the axle alignment. He said to raise on the equalizer assembly between the leaf springs.
Where is the correct lift point?
RMc

This is one bit of advice I'd file away immediately into file 13!
I've jacked all types of trailers for the past 40+ years from between the u bolts on the axle with no problems.

flybouy
08-24-2020, 08:10 AM
What John said. Think about this, the equalizer is a pivot point for the two spring packs. It would be foolish and dangerous to jack up a pivot point then remove a substantial amount of weight from one end of the fulcrum. That sounds like "hold my beer and watch this" you boob video moment to me.

BrooksFam
08-24-2020, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=JRTJH;407243]You might want to check the "lowest height measurement" before tossing one of these in your trailer.......QUOTE]

Good point. I am always nervous when using a bottle jack when not on a level/flat/hard surface. They can get a little squirrely.

Laredo Tugger
08-24-2020, 08:56 AM
I agree with all replies about using the U bolt jack point. Lifting straight up on the axle should not affect alignment. Not sure what that guy's advice was based on.
Thanks
RMc

notanlines
08-24-2020, 10:24 AM
R, "not to lift the trailer on the U bolts under the axle as that would affect the axle alignment" is simply not true, not in any way shape or form. He was certainly given bad advice and need not pass it on.

Laredo Tugger
08-24-2020, 01:54 PM
Copy that Jim.
Once again thankful for the experience and knowledge of this forum.
All the "regulars" on here are a great resource, for those that will listen because there are a few that have a "yellow sticker means nothing" mentality.
Thanks again
RMc

wiredgeorge
08-24-2020, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=JRTJH;407243]You might want to check the "lowest height measurement" before tossing one of these in your trailer.......QUOTE]

Good point. I am always nervous when using a bottle jack when not on a level/flat/hard surface. They can get a little squirrely.

Step 1. DO NOT get under the wheel while jacking it up.
Step 2. Use a jackstand while it is jacked up using the bottle jack.

Old_Stevenick
07-18-2022, 01:31 PM
Old thread, but new question. I had to change a tire on my Bullet Crossfire 1650 and the floor jack lifting on the frame didn't get it up high enough. I put it on blocks and it worked.

I saw earlier in the thread talk about where to put the jack. If I put it near the leafs or the axle it will go much higher.

Where is a good place to jack the TT up from?

NH_Bulldog
07-18-2022, 01:52 PM
I would never jack on the frame, just like I would never jack on the frame of a truck or car.

I always place the jack as close to the wheel as safely possible. In the case of the trailer, that is right about under where the leaf spring is bolted to the axle. I only lift enough to just get the tire off the ground.

Old_Stevenick
07-18-2022, 01:55 PM
Thanks, yeah the more I look online the more I realize what an idiot I was jacking on the frame.

wiredgeorge
07-18-2022, 03:49 PM
Thanks, yeah the more I look online the more I realize what an idiot I was jacking on the frame.

The frames on a camper are not too robust. If you have a double axle trailer, perhaps look into a Trailer Aid ramp gizmo. They actually work fairly well unless both the front and rear tire go flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf36FuuV3qM

Old_Stevenick
07-18-2022, 03:54 PM
It's a single axle trailer so that won't work for me. I just ordered a bottle jack, one that is only 6" at its minimum, hopefully that can fit under the u-bolts with a flat tire, if not I could put it on the axle but might want to get one of those cradle things.

Old_Stevenick
07-18-2022, 03:56 PM
We had a flat on the interstate last week on the way home from camping. On a Sunday of course. Called AAA "we don't cover trailers" called a tow operator. $250! They came fairly quickly though, but couldn't jack it up high enough to put the spare tire on, so I had to raise the camper with the leveling jacks for them to get it on. I offered cash and got it for $200.

Lesson learned. The belt of the tire broke and was sticking through the rubber.

sourdough
07-18-2022, 05:02 PM
We had a flat on the interstate last week on the way home from camping. On a Sunday of course. Called AAA "we don't cover trailers" called a tow operator. $250! They came fairly quickly though, but couldn't jack it up high enough to put the spare tire on, so I had to raise the camper with the leveling jacks for them to get it on. I offered cash and got it for $200.

Lesson learned. The belt of the tire broke and was sticking through the rubber.

I gave up AAA years ago. Their coverage varies by region/state and what you pay for at "home" most likely won't be covered when traveling. Anymore I carry 3-4 roadside plans but they all seem to use the same people. I guess that is to be expected in most rural places. One thing I learned recently that you and others need to be aware of; I called Geico for a recent truck tire failure. It was just outside the DFW metroplex so there was no problem getting someone, BUT, the guy that showed up was not a tire repair place, repair truck or anything else. He was a young man (looked late 20s) in his little personal pickup carrying some basic tools and a little floor jack. I asked him if he was my "roadside assistance" and he said yes.

He was a hard working young fellow but didn't really have the necessary tools. I gave him my 1/2" cordless impact, Viair compressor, sockets etc. to use. If not it would have been a "grunt" job for sure. Even raised the truck with my trailer jacks because his little floor jack didn't have the oomph to pick up the truck. I asked the young man fixing my flat how he came about repairing my flat on my truck on the side of a freeway vs a regular assistance truck. He said that they now have "groups" of people these companies contract to run out and do roadside jobs...pros or not. Just beware of who/what is showing up for your breakdown repair.

LHaven
07-18-2022, 06:40 PM
the guy that showed up was not a tire repair place, repair truck or anything else. He was a young man (looked late 20s) in his little personal pickup carrying some basic tools and a little floor jack. I asked him if he was my "roadside assistance" and he said yes.

He was a hard working young fellow but didn't really have the necessary tools.

Oh, this smells familiar. I bet you got serviced by a gigworker.

Recently, I had a 40 year old disposal let go. I bought a new one online, with installation, from a major national home supply store. The package arrived quickly, but the installer didn't – they kept postponing the installation date.

Eventually, after a few complaints, I figured out what was going on. The home store would quote an arbitrary installation date and time straight out of their sphincter. Then they would post a job online on a national handyman website, and wait for someone to bid it. This might work fine in an urban area, but not when the job is in East Tumbleweed. When nobody bid the job, they would call about six hours before the appointment time (after you had rearranged your whole schedule to accommodate them), and tell you it had been postponed to some other arbitrary time. They would do this three or four times, and then they would just throw up their hands and give up. I didn't like being jerked around like that, and they didn't like it when they got their disposal back.

I'll bet anything that that is exactly what your road service company did -- they gave you an Uber-quality repair kid. That's scary.

sourdough
07-18-2022, 06:51 PM
Oh, this smells familiar. I bet you got serviced by a gigworker.

Recently, I had a 40 year old disposal let go. I bought a new one online, with installation, from a major national home supply store. The package arrived quickly, but the installer didn't – they kept postponing the installation date.

Eventually, after a few complaints, I figured out what was going on. The home store would quote an arbitrary installation date and time straight out of their sphincter. Then they would post a job online on a national handyman website, and wait for someone to bid it. This might work fine in an urban area, but not when the job is in East Tumbleweed. When nobody bid the job, they would call about six hours before the appointment time (after you had rearranged your whole schedule to accommodate them), and tell you it had been postponed to some other arbitrary time. They would do this three or four times, and then they would just throw up their hands and give up. I didn't like being jerked around like that, and they didn't like it when they got their disposal back.

I'll bet anything that that is exactly what your road service company did -- they gave you an Uber-quality repair kid. That's scary.

I think these roadside assistance people are stretching to find folks that will fulfill the company's roadside plan obligations. Many of the tire shop kind of folks actually have full time jobs in the shop and roadside stuff is just "fluff" if they don't have anything to do; told that directly by the owner of a shop that wouldn't come help until his store closed at 5pm (thankfully my problem popped up about 4:30pm). Anyway, I think they know that a roadside assistance customer in need can't/won't wait for hours for someone to help as it has been. With that, there is no need for some kind of assistance plan; you have to do it yourself. An evolving situation seems to me...

HouseMouse
07-19-2022, 03:43 AM
Cribbing... yesterday, i was at a local tire shop getting my front tires Re-Balanced for cause. Upon arrival, the workers were changing out four tires on a Cat Loader, one of those monster ones. I didn't like what I saw on how it was jacked up.... Kinda wonkey looking. Yup, they had a 20-ton jack on two stacked 5x5 blocks. The blocks were oil soaked and the integrity had to be questionable. As my back was turned, the top block split and the Jack went sideways allowing the Cat to come down. The Good was, No worker was under or close enough to have been injured. Cribbing, Cribbing, Cribbing.

Old_Stevenick
07-20-2022, 02:40 AM
OK more confusion from a relative newby.

Single axle 16.5 TT. Ordered a bottle jack. This is for changing tires roadside.

Should I also carry a jack stand or is having the stabilizers down while changing the tire enough? I guess the bottle jack shouldn't be used alone to change a tire, correct?

Thanks!

CedarCreekWoody
07-20-2022, 03:56 AM
Do not use your stabilizers! They are not strong enough to support the camper.

Old_Stevenick
07-20-2022, 04:01 AM
Would you change a tire with just a bottle jack under the U-bolt/Axle area or not?

CedarCreekWoody
07-20-2022, 04:05 AM
Would you change a tire with just a bottle jack under the U-bolt/Axle area or not?

Yes, but keep the camper connected to your truck for stability.

skids
07-20-2022, 07:41 AM
Yes, but keep the camper connected to your truck for stability.

The thing is, changing a tire is really not like changing oil or something where you are under a load. I use a bottle jack but I caution you to bring along a piece of plywood to set under the base. If you don't, the jack's base can sink into hardpack and prevent you from releasing the ram. Also, you will want to test it to make sure it will fit underneath and make sure your lug wrench fits on both your regular rims and your spare. Lug nuts can be different sizes and shapes (to accommodate fancy wheels). I had to buy a set of lug nuts for the spare!

Old_Stevenick
07-20-2022, 07:55 AM
OK one more question (hopefully only one lol)

If the bottle jack won't fit under the u-bolt with a flat tire, (it just fits with a full tire) is it OK to lift right on the axle or do I need to spend another $50 on a bottle jack axle adaptor?

travelin texans
07-20-2022, 09:04 AM
OK one more question (hopefully only one lol)

If the bottle jack won't fit under the u-bolt with a flat tire, (it just fits with a full tire) is it OK to lift right on the axle or do I need to spend another $50 on a bottle jack axle adaptor?

Most likely you're carrying wood blocks for leveling, if not you should, pull the flat tire up onto a block or 2 til the jack fits under the ubolts.

Old_Stevenick
07-20-2022, 09:07 AM
Cool, just drive it on, makes sense. I have one of those ramp style levelers that allows you to drive up on it to just the right height, that would work.

I also have wood blocks to go under the stabilizers.

wiredgeorge
07-20-2022, 09:14 AM

No, I would not. I carry both a bottle jack, cribbing AND a jack stand. There isn't much surface on the ram part of a bottle jack. I would think this would be an issue not only with a dual axle trailer but a single as well.

MarkEHansen
07-20-2022, 10:19 AM
To answer your other question, you should never place the jack under the axle tube itself. They are not very strong and can easily be bent. I would stay under the u-bolts.

HouseMouse
07-20-2022, 12:00 PM
Just for clarity here... Are we talking about putting a jack directly in contact with the U-Bolt itself or in the space between the U-bolts on the axle? :confused:

Old_Stevenick
07-20-2022, 12:13 PM
The space between them. There is actually a metal plate that the springs go above. See pictures. So right between those four bolts. I used my floor jack in there and it probably pushed up on the bolts. Not sure.

HouseMouse
07-20-2022, 12:24 PM
The space between them. There is actually a metal plate that the springs go above. See pictures. So right between those four bolts. I used my floor jack in there and it probably pushed up on the bolts. Not sure.

Ok then... My axle is under the springs and the plate is on top. The U-bolts wrap about the axle underneath holding the axle to the springs from the bottom. Exactly the reverse of yours.

skids
07-20-2022, 03:25 PM
Ok then... My axle is under the springs and the plate is on top. The U-bolts wrap about the axle underneath holding the axle to the springs from the bottom. Exactly the reverse of yours.

That's the way mine is also. I have a piece of wood with grooves cut out for the the U-bolts and there is no problem.

Weldon
07-20-2022, 04:01 PM

10 ton harbor freight bottle jack. Thankfully have never needed it except when replacing brakes and bearings.

Old_Stevenick
07-20-2022, 04:11 PM
Got my bottle jack today, low profile one, from Amazon. 12 Tons. $52. I like it. I like the idea of a piece of wood to protect the ends of the U-Bolts in my case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E2P00LI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

craiglew
08-25-2022, 12:48 PM
thanks bought everything that i thought i needed, however never thought of checking he spare tire and how to remove it going to see now again thnks