PDA

View Full Version : Hello from TN

Papa of 7
08-08-2020, 12:45 PM
I just retired in January and took up camping. Just wanted to say Hello to everyone.

chuckster57
08-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Welcome to the forum:wlcm:

Congrats on retirement. Hope you enjoy many years of RVing. Lots of good information and loads of great people here.

Northofu1
08-08-2020, 01:44 PM
Congrats and welcome from Ontario.
3 years 8 mos 22 days 22 hrs and 17 mins till retirement here, but whose counting? :lol:
Enjoy the forum.

Papa of 7
08-08-2020, 02:37 PM
We were blessed to be able to retire together, my wife and I. We had a real estate office, I sold the building and kicked back now. I will turn 65 next Thursday and just praying God let's us hang around healthy for several more years.

sourdough
08-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Welcome to the forum Papa and congrats on the retirement! It's all it's cracked up to be! NOW is the time to go enjoy life before you can't IMO.

Lots of good folks with tons of knowledge here so fire away with the questions. Saw the issue you were having with the power so hopefully you can come up with an answer to that situation.

Papa of 7
08-08-2020, 05:20 PM
You are so right about the knowledge, I have been blessed with the knowledge of Sourdough already! Thanks

Gegrad
08-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Welcome from Pennsylvania!

Papa of 7
08-09-2020, 03:27 AM
Thank you!

xrated
08-09-2020, 05:57 AM
I just retired in January and took up camping. Just wanted to say Hello to everyone.

Congratulations on your retirement....it's an awesome freedom isn't it? I just did it in April this year and I'm loving it too. Good that you guys got to retire together. I was 2 1/2 years behind my wife's retirement, but it's all good. Have fun and stay safe......Vern.....E. TN

Papa of 7
08-09-2020, 06:25 AM
Yes, it is a great feeling, no stress , other than what to do or where to go next. Enjoy

Gary R.
08-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Hello and welcome!

DW and myself retired a few months ago, and we're still in retirement training! Hope to graduate soon, though.

Stay safe!

Papa of 7
08-09-2020, 10:30 AM
Same up your way! The only advice I can give, is don't try to get everything done right away. I worked my butt off the first 3-4 months. Lol

Gobirds38
08-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

Rber1234
08-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Welcome from Southern Illinois

xrated
08-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Welcome from Southern Illinois

Wood River huh! I lived in Granite City for many years before I moved to Jerseyville, then Alton. My last move was to Tennessee in 2006. Small world.

Papa of 7
08-11-2020, 01:33 PM
I've been in Carthage TN my 65 years, I take it for granted. ��

xrated
08-11-2020, 01:51 PM
I've been in Carthage TN my 65 years, I take it for granted. ��

I wasn't born in Tennessee, but I got here as soon as I could! :D

Rber1234
08-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Wood River huh! I lived in Granite City for many years before I moved to Jerseyville, then Alton. My last move was to Tennessee in 2006. Small world.

Yes it is. You know anything about the Cordell Hull Lake area campgrounds? As far as which are the better ones.

Papa of 7
08-11-2020, 06:52 PM
Defeated Creek and Salt Lick Creek are the most desirable ones. Personally we just started camping and never stayed at either, but plan to if we can get in. Good luck and happy camping!

xrated
08-11-2020, 06:53 PM
Yes it is. You know anything about the Cordell Hull Lake area campgrounds? As far as which are the better ones.

Sorry, no. I've never been there and had to look it up on google to see where it was at. A lot of our "close" camping is done in Townsend and we also really enjoy going south to the Chattanooga area. Next year is our first ever "Out West" trip....Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Moab area.

Rber1234
08-11-2020, 07:47 PM
Sorry, no. I've never been there and had to look it up on google to see where it was at. A lot of our "close" camping is done in Townsend and we also really enjoy going south to the Chattanooga area. Next year is our first ever "Out West" trip....Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Moab area.

Trip out West sounds exciting.. Been wanting to do that same type of trip also. Just need to do a lot more research before I would undertake that type of trip. Good luck next year on your trip.

travelin texans
08-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Trip out West sounds exciting.. Been wanting to do that same type of trip also. Just need to do a lot more research before I would undertake that type of trip. Good luck next year on your trip.

What research? Hook up the RV & head towards the sunset, lots of stuff to see between your house & there. A 2 week's vacation ain't near enough time to see it all.

notanlines
08-12-2020, 04:12 AM
Richard, I'm with Danny. Pack a few clothes, some goodies and beer in the fridge, boot the kids and their electronics into the F-150 and GO!

xrated
08-12-2020, 04:28 AM
I guess a couple of things come to mind here for me. 1. I've never done a long trip before with a large camping trailer, and I'm talking a 44' trailer being towed with a CrewCab Dually with an 8' bed. So for me, I want to make sure I do the best job I can in getting it correct.....places that I can fit into, roads that I want to avoid (narrow, tight switchbacks, etc.). 2. I'm more of a "planner" vs. a fly by the seat of your pants kind of guy. For example, at the end of the 350-400 mile day of driving, I want to KNOW that I have a campground spot waiting for my arrival because I planned for it and have a reservation. Obviously, things can happen along the way to cause those plans to change....road conditions, storms, flat tire, accidents on the highway that blocks traffic, etc., but at least I've tried to do my part in making it work. I also know that a lot of planning ahead of time isn't for everyone, but it's what I feel better doing. Being retired definitely takes some of the pressure off because we really don't have any "solid" deadlines and can be somewhat flexible if something does go off base a little.

I've already spent quite a lot of time on the "routing" part of it and the research for where we will be staying at the end of the day for the entire drive out there. Next up it is time to try and tweak the schedule as far as how long to stay in each area. Part of the pressure is that when you do an out west trip, and especially if you've never been out there before, is the fact that some of the more popular places to visit, like Zion for example, campground reservations need to be made long in advance of when you will be there. There are simply some places that you don't just call a day or two ahead of time and reserve a spot. Anyway, enough about that all of that.....I just say that I'm really, really looking forward to the trip, and it's still slightly over a year away.

flybouy
08-12-2020, 05:42 AM
Planning or “just going” it’s whatever makes you comfortable. We do a lot of “hybrid” style traveling since retirement.

Example: we planned a trip to Dollywood. Planned a one night stay about 1/2 way there and three nights in cg at DW. It was late March so off season.
After the three nights we extended two more nights there, Explored Gatlinburg, and Smokies. Called Loretta Lynn ranch and booked three nights there. After exploring the area we headed west. Decided to visit Memphis and while driving DW called Tom Sawyer CG in Arkansas across the river from Memphis. Stayed there three nights.

Started to head back East on a different route and repeated the process thru KY, WV, then back home. Was one of our most enjoyable trips for us and I think not having a rigid schedule is one of the factors.

Here’s the thing. I spent many years in a career where I caught this flight to x, meet these people at x+4, inspect a site at x+7, go to hotel at x+10. Catch flight home at y and repeat. So I enjoy the freedom to “ go explore and spend time” and if something interests either of us we go “check it out”.

Like I said, to each his own, the “right way” to do it is your way as long as you and your traveling companions are happy.

Papa of 7
08-12-2020, 06:08 AM
Now, that sounds a lot like the way I would do it. I use to go to the Smokies without hotel reservations, and try to get a room until it got so busy they were all booked up. But that was before the internet. Lol

sonnyw
08-16-2020, 11:30 AM
Hello from a retired old fart down the road in Gallatin TN!

HDroadglide
08-16-2020, 11:34 AM
welcome on board.

Papa of 7
08-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Hello Sonnyw, and HDroadglide!

itfowler0707
08-16-2020, 02:03 PM
Congrats on retirement. A lot of great people and info!

Papa of 7
08-16-2020, 02:07 PM
There sure are, I love this forum. Thanks

tonysr
08-17-2020, 04:32 PM
Hello from the great lake state of Michigan.