PDA

View Full Version : Tire Blowout - Foam Layer underbelly

Skins44
08-08-2020, 06:15 AM
I posted on here a few weeks ago about my tire blowout damage. I finally have time to address the repair now that my sons travel baseball is over for the season.

My question: Where can i get a small piece of foam similar to whats in the underbelly?

I haven't cut into it yet, but it looks like maybe an inch or so foam layer that got shredded a little bit.

Or, is there a suitable alternative perhaps some great stuff spray?

sourdough
08-08-2020, 06:45 AM
If I remember correctly I believe they used spray foam (probably non expanding) to fill the void that my tire caused then trimmed it up and put Darco over it.

chuckster57
08-08-2020, 06:59 AM
All I have ever seen is the sprayfoam and I think it is expanding based on the times I have cut into it. "great stuff" works real good and you can paint it once its set up.

Northofu1
08-08-2020, 08:28 AM
If it's directly above the wheel well and it ripped through luan. It most likely looked like part of that lovely sandwich they used as the flooring. I know on my now sold Bullet that's what they used. That styrofoam was 1.5" deep and then a 1/4" piece of luan then the darco. I could not readily find 1.5" styro so I used 2 layers of 3/4" and used Gorilla spray adhesive with each layer, tip- use the spray adhesive to put the darco on as well. Better to overlap if possible and trim with scissors.

I didn't take pictures of the next steps, too much on my mind other than the trailer. I cuss too much for youtube :lol:
First picture is while trimming the wound. The second picture is the second piece of styro. After that layer I caulked the minor gaps with PL premium polyurethane adhesive, let it cure, then sprayed adhesive for 1/4" plywood.