PDA

View Full Version : Price isn’t everything

Brantlyj
08-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Like anything don’t get so caught up in the price of the unit. The integrity of the dealer is just as important.

Hooking up this morning I lifted the jack to hook up the sway bars. About 3/4 of the way up it came to a grinding halt. Guessing something stripped out as I couldn’t move it manually either.

Called the dealer and explained what happened. They asked if I needed help as the truck and trailer were connected, there by stuck. Was surprised to hear that they would have come out with a jack and cribbing. Luckily, since I park it at our business I was able to bring the forklift around to lift it high enough to unbolt the jack.

Drove up to the shop where they had two guys waiting for me. One bolted it on, the other did the wiring. It was done before the service writer finished the warranty paper work.

Not fuss, no muss, no worrying if they would cover it or give me a hassle about getting approval first. Just did it and got me on the road.
I suppose I could have saved thousands buying at a mega dealer out of state but these guys are one town over, but what a pain that would have been warranty wise and our weekend trip, and possibly our trip the follows two weekends getting a replacement.

So yea, check their reviews. It might be great getting that deal up front but if they don’t take care of you after they have your money is it really worth the savings?

Canonman
08-07-2020, 09:55 AM
Now that's a PROPER service story! I'd agree with one exception, the dealer and the buyer relationship with the dealer is more important than price. Many stories about dealers who forget who you are once the deal is signed.

travelin texans
08-07-2020, 10:19 AM
You should shop the service department more so than the sales.

chuckster57
08-07-2020, 10:23 AM
You should shop the service department more so than the sales.

Ain’t that the truth!!

flybouy
08-07-2020, 01:38 PM
Every new vehicle or camper that I've purchased I've had a look at the service dept. and talked with the service manager. I've also told every salesman that they may sell me the first on but the service dept will sell me the next one.

sourdough
08-07-2020, 03:04 PM
Like anything don’t get so caught up in the price of the unit. The integrity of the dealer is just as important.

Hooking up this morning I lifted the jack to hook up the sway bars. About 3/4 of the way up it came to a grinding halt. Guessing something stripped out as I couldn’t move it manually either.

Called the dealer and explained what happened. They asked if I needed help as the truck and trailer were connected, there by stuck. Was surprised to hear that they would have come out with a jack and cribbing. Luckily, since I park it at our business I was able to bring the forklift around to lift it high enough to unbolt the jack.

Drove up to the shop where they had two guys waiting for me. One bolted it on, the other did the wiring. It was done before the service writer finished the warranty paper work.

Not fuss, no muss, no worrying if they would cover it or give me a hassle about getting approval first. Just did it and got me on the road.
I suppose I could have saved thousands buying at a mega dealer out of state but these guys are one town over, but what a pain that would have been warranty wise and our weekend trip, and possibly our trip the follows two weekends getting a replacement.

So yea, check their reviews. It might be great getting that deal up front but if they don’t take care of you after they have your money is it really worth the savings?

Your experience is what so many folks buying an RV completely disregard. The bottom line, be it saving $100 or $5000 is the only driver. In the end, as we read all the time, it can come back to haunt you and causes you far more misery than saving a few dollars.

I've had similar experiences to yours. It's worth a lot particularly the way I'm "turned". As we've said on this forum many times; the dealer is key to purchasing an RV.