PDA

View Full Version : New Member from GA

GroverT70
08-02-2020, 07:05 AM
Hello to all,

I am a new member to forum. My family and I have been RVing for approximately 15 years and we are currently on our 4th RV. We started with a 25' travel trailer and we just purchased a 2020 Keystone Fusion Impact toy hauler. We tow the unit with a 2019 F250 SD Ford. We live in south GA and it is really hot and humid here. Look forward to reading post and learning from this group of Keystone family.

flybouy
08-02-2020, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the forum. Just have to ask what's the payload rating of your F250(found on the driver's door pillar, not some internet site or sales brochure.)?

The GVW on that trailer is 17,000 lbs. https://www.keystonerv.com/toy-haulers/impact/floorplans/359-toy-hauler/ The pin weight at GVW would be 3,500 lbs +the weight of the hitch. That's before you put anything else in the truck.

Not trying to rain on your parade here just a safety concern.

GroverT70
08-02-2020, 07:40 AM
I know the truck is slightly overloaded. I do have air bags and the truck handles the trailer with no problems. Thank you for looking out for me though.

Jethro 8410
08-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the forum. I'm from Ocilla, just east of Tifton.

Gary R.
08-02-2020, 12:24 PM
Greetings and welcome!

Enjoy your travels in that Fusion Impact!

Stay safe!

GroverT70
08-02-2020, 12:44 PM
Hi Gary,

We are from Leesburg, GA. Not that far apart.

GroverT70
08-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Got the name wrong on the last reply. Sorry about that.

wiredgeorge
08-02-2020, 01:08 PM
GroverT70, It would help if you put your year, make and model of your new camper in your signature as well as your tow vehicle. I looked up Fuzion Impact toy haulers as I had a Forest River toy hauler and just missed the mark; we had NO storage and everything had to be piled atop one of the rear queen beds and there was no counter space. Took us a LONG TIME to get set up and irritated my missus to no end. I was looking at the 26V travel trailer version as we have a Gold Wing trike and need more than 10' garage space to having one where you can drive up almost into the kitchen would be great. Which model do you have?

travelin texans
08-02-2020, 03:19 PM
I know the truck is slightly overloaded. I do have air bags and the truck handles the trailer with no problems. Thank you for looking out for me though.

I'd guess you're more than slightly overloaded!
The 17k GVWR of that rv will equal approximately 3500 lbs of pin weight, doubtful your F250 has near that much payload.
Just FYI! The airbags do nothing but level the truck, they add NO carrying capacity & the weight of the airbags come off of the available payload.
As mentioned, not trying to rain on your parade, just passing on information, you do with it as you please, but be safe!

Gobirds38
08-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!!

GroverT70
08-02-2020, 06:58 PM
I realize and knew the air bags did not add cargo capacity. I added them strictly for leveling purposes. The f250 doesn’t even seem to be loaded. Pulls great, stops great and handles bumps on the road great. I never pull my RV over 65mph and exercise safe driving distances.

GroverT70
08-02-2020, 07:19 PM
Hi wired George, I know that I have some work to do to my profile. Just joined today and have not had time to do it. We have a 2020 Fuzion Impact 359. I tow it with a 2019 F250 SD 6.7 DIESEL. I did give up outside storage with the toy hauler but my wife gained much more storage in the kitchen. I realized I did not really need all the stuff that I had been hauling around. I do occasionally bring my Harley Davidson Street Glide along on some trips. My son has a Road King and we can bring both of them in the hauler.

crowbar
08-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Hi Tim. Welcome to the forum. Don't mind the "weight freaks". I'm sure they mean well but the weight thing is their shtick. If you've been RVing for 15 years, you're obviously not clueless. I've got an old Harley myself but don't have a toy hauler. I have a regular trailer and I purposely bought a truck with an 8 ft. box so I could get my bike in the back and still close the tailgate. Hope you have a great summer.

GroverT70
08-03-2020, 03:30 AM
Hi Crowbar, thanks for the welcome. We are headed out to Margaritaville this morning at Lanier Islands just north of Atlanta. Taking the grand kids on a trip. Can't take the Harley this time.

flybouy
08-03-2020, 05:33 AM
Hi Tim. Welcome to the forum. Don't mind the "weight freaks". I'm sure they mean well but the weight thing is their shtick. If you've been RVing for 15 years, you're obviously not clueless. I've got an old Harley myself but don't have a toy hauler. I have a regular trailer and I purposely bought a truck with an 8 ft. box so I could get my bike in the back and still close the tailgate. Hope you have a great summer.

As a self proclaimed "weight police" member I have to dispel some fallacies in this statement. I don't consider it a "shtick" as I don't think it's a joke. I take it seriously as I know several others do. I never said he was "clueless". He stated he purchased "their first toy hualer". Just because someone has been towing a TT doesn't mean that they are aware of the difference in percentage of tongue vs pin weights.

I don't mind the OP getting irritated at me for asking the question if it inspires or even incites them to to look at their payload sticker and find out. I think the real "schtick" is the folks that defend towing over weight and knowingly go down the road thinking they know more than the manufacturers and the governing bodies do.

If you or anyone else want to tow overweight as your "schtick" you can proclaim that it's your decision but the problem I have is while the "joke" may be on you it could also be on someone you share the highway with and that would be a very bad "joke" to inflict upon anyone.

YMHO

travelin texans
08-03-2020, 08:17 AM
As a self proclaimed "weight police" member I have to dispel some fallacies in this statement. I don't consider it a "shtick" as I don't think it's a joke. I take it seriously as I know several others do. I never said he was "clueless". He stated he purchased "their first toy hualer". Just because someone has been towing a TT doesn't mean that they are aware of the difference in percentage of tongue vs pin weights.

I don't mind the OP getting irritated at me for asking the question if it inspires or even incites them to to look at their payload sticker and find out. I think the real "schtick" is the folks that defend towing over weight and knowingly go down the road thinking they know more than the manufacturers and the governing bodies do.

If you or anyone else want to tow overweight as your "schtick" you can proclaim that it's your decision but the problem I have is while the "joke" may be on you it could also be on someone you share the highway with and that would be a very bad "joke" to inflict upon anyone.

YMHO

DITTO!
There is a difference towing a TT as compared to a 5th wheel, mostly you'll need more payload. The 5er will typically put close to twice the weight on the truck as a TT, some ARE clueless to this fact.

Rber1234
08-11-2020, 09:43 AM
Welcome from Southern Illinois

GroverT70
08-11-2020, 10:38 AM
Just FYI, I have been towing a Montana fifth wheel for the past 10 years. 36’ bunk house. Towed it with a 2004 F250 6.0 diesel.

flybouy
08-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Just FYI, I have been towing a Montana fifth wheel for the past 10 years. 36’ bunk house. Towed it with a 2004 F250 6.0 diesel.

With all due respect, doing something for a longtime doesn’t justify it. People can and often do things dangerously or incorrectly for decades.

HDroadglide
08-16-2020, 11:37 AM
Welcome on Board.
My first fifth wheel was a Fuzion.

tonysr
08-17-2020, 04:35 PM
Remember AirBags do not increase Payload. Not only are you overloading the frame but the axles and wheels.