PDA

View Full Version : Norco/Bal gearbox

TazMcren
07-30-2020, 12:14 PM
Good Day Members! While inspecting seals and caulking on my 2018 Cougar 310RLS, I came across some bubbling on the outside\inside of the kitchen slide roof membrane near the Norco/Bal gearbox. There was a puddle of gear oil at both locations. I have since cleaned the areas.

Searching for this issue on this forum it is apparent that Keystone has been aware for some time of this issue where the membrane gets damaged caused by the oil leak.

My question is, are these Norco/Bal gearboxes sealed units? Can I add a light duty oil (what kind of oil?) to replace what has leaked out?

Like others, Keystone will not cover the repairs.

Thanking all in advance for your replies...

sourdough
07-30-2020, 01:11 PM
You probably want to do a search on the topic. IIRC the issue is that the units were overfilled causing the leaks, which damaged the roof. BAL makes (sometimes provides) drip trays to go under the gear boxes. Once it stops leaking my understanding is that is finished but the damage is done.

TazMcren
07-30-2020, 05:26 PM
Thank you for replying quickly. I researched many sites and forums with various results. I was just concerned that the motor would need to be "topped up".

chuckster57
07-30-2020, 05:45 PM
We just took in a 2018 Bullet with bubbled roof. In this case extended warranty is covering a new roof and drip pan. I guess in THIS case extended warranty was a good thing. I have no idea what warranty company it is, I was just told it was approved.

NH_Bulldog
07-30-2020, 06:19 PM
The gearbox was overfilled. When it gets hot, the oil expands and leaks out the seam. According to Norco (who provided me a free drip pan), it will stop leaking and the remaining oil will provide sufficient lubrication for the life of the unit. I did the roof repair myself according to the service bulletin instructions and it is a pretty easy fix

TazMcren
07-31-2020, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Now I know the motor will/should have sufficient amount of oil. I'll end up doing the repairs myself and order the drip pan, just to be on the safe side.

NH_Bulldog
07-31-2020, 11:15 AM
As long as you follow the guide, it is a pretty straightforward and simple fix with the right supplies. My repair was no cost except for my time. But I have the peace of mind of knowing it was fixed right.