PDA

View Full Version : Silicone removal?

mikec557
07-28-2020, 07:37 AM
I have a curved shower that leaks water from the inside of the shower to the outside of the clear plastic fixed pane, at the base of the fixed pane more or less. The water remains on the white plastic shower base pan, on the top surface that's about 3in wide and has the plastic pane placed in the middle of the 3in flat surface.

As of yet, I can't tell if the water is going under the base rail, or out through the gap near the base where the back shower wall meets the pan, the overlap area. That's about an inch up the vertical edge of the clear plastic fixed shower door pane.

There is clear silicone on every edge as far as I can see, but clearly some water gets through.

I haven't decided where to caulk yet, but I've read that nothing sticks to silicone, including more silicone. I'm concerned my caulking efforts will be thwarted by the old silicone.

What's the best way to remove the old silicone? I'm sure it involves a little scraping and peeling, but shouldn't I use some kind of solvent too?

TIA
Mike

chuckster57
07-28-2020, 10:52 AM
If it is silicone, you can use a plastic scraper. Then clean both surfaces with denatured alcohol and reseal. I have done this numerous times with no issues.

I do use compressed air and blow out the channel before applying sealant. I also recommend doing both the inside and outside seams.

mikec557
07-28-2020, 11:13 AM
If it is silicone, you can use a plastic scraper. Then clean both surfaces with denatured alcohol and reseal. I have done this numerous times with no issues.

I do use compressed air and blow out the channel before applying sealant. I also recommend doing both the inside and outside seams.

Thanks Chuckster. I'll give this a try. Since you've done this a few times, can I assume the denatured alcohol doesn't harm the plastic base?

chuckster57
07-28-2020, 05:15 PM
Doesn’t hurt it at all. Out here on the left coast we can’t buy it anymore.

mikec557
07-28-2020, 07:05 PM
Doesn’t hurt it at all. Out here on the left coast we can’t buy it anymore.

You want I should smuggle some in next I wander through...

Border Guard: Sir. Do you have any fruits or vegetables?

Driver: No mame.

I watched a lot of Breaking Bad. I think I can do it...

flybouy
07-28-2020, 07:11 PM

Have you tried cannabis? You can buy that right?:lol: