PDA

View Full Version : $40k Budget, buy new gas or used diesel?

rob_ps
07-27-2020, 08:48 PM
I'm ready to pick up a new TV and with a budget of $40k, I have a choice of going new, 2020 Ram Tradesman Crew 2500 6.4, dealer selling at 39k, or going used. The used trucks I've been seeing at that price range are about 60k miles for a 6.7 CTD, about 5 years old.

My TT is currently at 8200lb loaded, and I'm not sure if I plan on upgrading in the future just yet, but if I do, it won't be much more than that, so I think.

Thoughts?

tech740
07-27-2020, 09:23 PM
If you are "in" to RVing, you will upgrade trailer before the next truck after this. I would take the 40K and look for a 3500 diesel. It will ride the same and hold the resale better. It will save you a truck upgrade again in a couple years. Ask me how I know. LOL

JRTJH
07-28-2020, 06:16 AM
Additionally, the "depreciation on a used truck" is significantly less than on a new truck. As soon as you drive that "new Tradesman" off the lot, it will decrease in value between $5K and $10K. With the "well maintained 5 year old diesel truck, if it's "worth $40k when you buy it" it will be worth $40K a month from now (minus dealer markup at sale and dealer discount at trade)...

At 8,000 pounds, you're "in the zone" to consider a diesel, especially if you plan any extended highway towing or mountain towing.

I agree, skip the 2500. Payload will preclude any trailer size increase over what you current tow.

MarkEHansen
07-28-2020, 06:18 AM
My brother just purchased a trailer that is too much for his truck (thank you, RV dealer :( ) and so he's looking for a new truck too. I told him what he needs to tow his current trailer, but to consider where he might be in the next 5 years. If he thinks he might want to be in a larger trailer (or just about any 5th wheel), then he should skip the 3/4-ton diesel and go straight to the 1-ton.

Canonman
07-28-2020, 08:08 AM
When we decided to upgrade our '03 F150 we had an 8,000# WildWood TT. By chance, I found a Ram 6.7 CTD for $30k which was about the same as gassers we'd been looking at. We still have the Ram 6.7 CTD and were able to upgrade to our Cougar fifth wheel without having to upgrade the truck:)
Again, this was by chance and not design, but it turned out great for us.
I'd suggest a good used diesel over the gasser.

travelin texans
07-28-2020, 08:42 AM
Today agree, 1 ton diesel, skip the 3/4 ton. You'll be glad you did.
You may find the 3500s a bit cheaper as most still have the mindset that they ride like a tank & pass right by a good clean 1 ton. If you were to take the 3500 badges off you, nor anyone else, would know the difference in ride & mileage between the 3500 & 2500 unless you checked the numbers on the drivers door post.

sourdough
07-28-2020, 08:59 AM
I am the odd man out here I figure. I'm a gas guy through and through, also always buy new and won't buy used. What do you get for that? "Intangible/personal" benefits that only I (and those like me) appreciate. But....

You need to know where you are in the RV "game". Do you know what you want now and for the future? Are you able to say definitively that x trailer is "it" and you'll never go larger? If the answer is no you need to get the 1 ton diesel and be prepared for those upgrades. Plus if it's your first trailer I would almost guarantee the answer is no.

The difference in ride and cost between a 3/4 and 1 ton is negligible but the options the 1 ton afford you are many. Used vs new? That's like asking if Ford or Chevy is better. Some swear by it, some don't. I don't like inheriting others undisclosed problems, mods etc. You CAN save money buying used if you 1)thoroughly research the selected vehicle and 2) thoroughly research what it's worth. It's easier to negotiate a new vehicle price because....they're new; no subjective dings, scratches, wear/tear that you and another person have to agree on. You will find that some things buying used if anything like my part of the country; 1) the "beauty" of that prospective used unit is in the eye of the beholder (you vs dealer). They generally think it's a pristine gem; you (I) usually figure it's a millstone ready to sink me in the pond. Coming to terms on a price can be an issue but never think you are going to come out on top. Pricing for your trade is the same but the viewpoints are reversed. At least there are pricing tools out there one can access on the internet that used to not be available. You had to depend on "the guy"; "that" guy (used car appraiser) that had the elusive NADA book with the magical, secret numbers that you had no way to check.

Dealing for new cars is different in that you can spec a vehicle from anywhere with standardized pricing and hold a dealer's feet to the fire. Trades operate the same as above.

Sorry for the long post but your situation warrants some serious thought. If unable, or unwilling to buy trucks on a whim due to changing circumstances, try to get the first one right. I know exactly what I'll take in a truck, in turn that dictates exactly what kind/size trailer I can have. If you think the trailer is undecided, and it will be the factor in deciding the truck vs the other way around, go big out of the gate. Good luck.

Badbart56
08-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Personally, I'd go with the used diesel. For that price range you should be able to find a Certified Used at a dealer. Those vehicles are gone over with a fine tooth comb and come with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty IIRC. You'll be happier with a diesel, pretty much everybody is. I've never met anyone who regretted getting one (I'm sure they're out there) Fuel cost is only about .30 difference now, mileage is better too. Our fleet of Chevy 2500's with the 6.2 got 11-12 mpg on the interstate. I get 15-17 with my dually with the same 3:73 gears. Lots more power. You don't realize it just driving around but once you hook to a load the difference is very clear! Don't try one if you really don't want to buy one. I couldn't go back to a gasser. And don't be afraid to get a dually either. Very solid towing platform, and lots more payload too.

sourdough
08-03-2020, 05:50 PM
I'm thinking my last 6.4 and this one (maybe just Ram) does much better than the GM 6.2. Both my 6.4s run/ran about 16 on the interstate - that's 3.73 (6 speed) and 4.10 (8 speed). My run across the country (TX/FL, FL/TX) has diesel averaging .40-.60 gal more (sometimes considerably more) as I mentally checked.

I've met some who swore by a diesel and some who had had them all their lives and strongly warned me not to get one for what I do....and they had switched back to gas engines due to the variables of the diesels...and most of these guys were farmers and RV towers. I know them and trust them. Don't need to get the diesel/gas thing going but there are those out there that don't love a diesel...lots of them.

rhagfo
08-03-2020, 05:53 PM
So we also moved up, we were already diesel. 2001 Ram 2500 running about 1,700# over GVWR. Towed fine, but with 3.55’s and a 5 speed manual it was working to get the 12,500# 5er to speed. We had added a small chip and RV275 injectors, but it worked.
Now 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73 towing capacity 25,000#+, towing is much more relaxing, and no issues getting to speed.

rob_ps
08-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Thank you all for the replies and great information.

So far we are leaning towards getting a used diesel. As someone mentioned at our price range, we are seeing certified used trucks which typically have the original mfg warranty with factory extended warranties offered.

I like the idea of not paying for the initial depreciation and having the option of selling the diesel for close to what I pay for in a few years (hopefully). Don't get me wrong, I've purchased many new cars and I'll miss the new car smell on this purchase, but this truck will probably sit on my lot 10 months a year.

BTW, reading the comments of not ruling out a 1 ton makes good sense, thanks!

linux3
08-04-2020, 02:25 PM
I am the odd man out here I figure. I'm a gas guy through and through, also always buy new and won't buy used. What do you get for that? "Intangible/personal" benefits that only I (and those like me) appreciate. But.....

1) I semi agree. Or I agree with the first part. I like gas trucks and I buy new to get just what I want.
2) Either truck should suffice.
3) A RANT! It drives me crazy with all the talk of "Buy a 1 Ton because you will go bigger". More TT needs bigger TV and a bigger TV means a bigger TT.
After lots of looking and study we bought our 2016 for CASH. We love going to RV shows and talking about how our TT is better than (whatever). Look around evaluate your needs and realistic needs, buy and be happy. Be happy.
My current truck was $56.5K, and I paid cash. My wife always pays cash for cars, Subaru Crosstrek (shudder). We have been in our house for 40 years and yes it's paid for.
At the drop of a hat, actually you don't have to drop the hat, we wonder off for weeks at a time.
We can do that because we don't owe anyone anything.
Stop looking at the next TV or TT and enjoy what you have.
At age 60 when my company shut down our division and laid everyone off I was happy because I was thinking of retiring and getting laid off was a better deal.
Think about what you want and need. Plan for the future.
Enjoy life.

wiredgeorge
08-04-2020, 03:40 PM
Thank you all for the replies and great information.

So far we are leaning towards getting a used diesel. As someone mentioned at our price range, we are seeing certified used trucks which typically have the original mfg warranty with factory extended warranties offered.

I like the idea of not paying for the initial depreciation and having the option of selling the diesel for close to what I pay for in a few years (hopefully). Don't get me wrong, I've purchased many new cars and I'll miss the new car smell on this purchase, but this truck will probably sit on my lot 10 months a year.

BTW, reading the comments of not ruling out a 1 ton makes good sense, thanks!

All the gurus on the site failed to ask... will this be your daily driver or will be used mostly for towing your camper? If it is a daily driver, of course a newer truck be it used or new will give you a bit of piece of mind. If you are just dragging a camper, well... in my case, I bought a 2006 F350 strippo model for $7K and put about $3K in it and it is now reliable and works well for pulling my camper. $40K is a lot of money for a tow beast but if you are going to use it as a daily driver get one that will also work for towing. I tend to buy clunkers and work on my property and don't put many miles on my truck. Look at that aspect with regard to your own situation.

Frank G
08-04-2020, 04:44 PM
I'm ready to pick up a new TV and with a budget of $40k, I have a choice of going new, 2020 Ram Tradesman Crew 2500 6.4, dealer selling at 39k, or going used. The used trucks I've been seeing at that price range are about 60k miles for a 6.7 CTD, about 5 years old.

My TT is currently at 8200lb loaded, and I'm not sure if I plan on upgrading in the future just yet, but if I do, it won't be much more than that, so I think.

Thoughts?

In June of 17 we purchased a 11 month old 2016 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 CTD with 18K on the clock for $44,500.00 Certified with a 100,000 extended warrantee from FCA, from a Ram dealer. It was a enterprise rental and had the RR qtr replaced. Yep, still worth 40 with 70,000 miles on it.
Keep Looking

sourdough
08-04-2020, 04:55 PM
1) I semi agree. Or I agree with the first part. I like gas trucks and I buy new to get just what I want.
2) Either truck should suffice.
3) A RANT! It drives me crazy with all the talk of "Buy a 1 Ton because you will go bigger". More TT needs bigger TV and a bigger TV means a bigger TT.
After lots of looking and study we bought our 2016 for CASH. We love going to RV shows and talking about how our TT is better than (whatever). Look around evaluate your needs and realistic needs, buy and be happy. Be happy.
My current truck was $56.5K, and I paid cash. My wife always pays cash for cars, Subaru Crosstrek (shudder). We have been in our house for 40 years and yes it's paid for.
At the drop of a hat, actually you don't have to drop the hat, we wonder off for weeks at a time.
We can do that because we don't owe anyone anything.
Stop looking at the next TV or TT and enjoy what you have.
At age 60 when my company shut down our division and laid everyone off I was happy because I was thinking of retiring and getting laid off was a better deal.
Think about what you want and need. Plan for the future.
Enjoy life.

Referencing the highlighted comment above I would just point out that I said:

"You need to know where you are in the RV "game". Do you know what you want now and for the future? Are you able to say definitively that x trailer is "it" and you'll never go larger? If the answer is no you need to get the 1 ton diesel and be prepared for those upgrades. Plus if it's your first trailer I would almost guarantee the answer is no."

My comment literally says what your last sentence says. I based the 1 ton comment on the fact that IF they thought they were going to go bigger there is NO sense, zero, of going thru what I and so many others have; 1/2 ton, different 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton then 1 ton. Lots of money down the drain. For me I don't care because I like trucks. For someone trying to plan and avoid those mistakes that cost tens upon tens of thousands of dollars....try to get it right the first time.

Gegrad
08-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Referencing the highlighted comment above I would just point out that I said:

"You need to know where you are in the RV "game". Do you know what you want now and for the future? Are you able to say definitively that x trailer is "it" and you'll never go larger? If the answer is no you need to get the 1 ton diesel and be prepared for those upgrades. Plus if it's your first trailer I would almost guarantee the answer is no."

My comment literally says what your last sentence says. I based the 1 ton comment on the fact that IF they thought they were going to go bigger there is NO sense, zero, of going thru what I and so many others have; 1/2 ton, different 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton then 1 ton. Lots of money down the drain. For me I don't care because I like trucks. For someone trying to plan and avoid those mistakes that cost tens upon tens of thousands of dollars....try to get it right the first time.

Correct, Danny, depends on your situation. If you can definitely say you won't go bigger, then you are set. Few years ago with our old Passport we figured we might go bigger. And we did. Now, 3 years of navigating (and maintaining) my current rig through gas stations and around the state parks around here confirms to me I am not interested in anything longer than my current unit. Just ain't interested in moving anything longer or bigger around or taking care of it. We may go small 5th wheel in a few years, but I have already looked and anything I size wise I may want my 3/4 gasser can handle. So I was comfortable going 3/4 ton. Others may not feel that way.

rob_ps
08-06-2020, 01:20 PM
All the gurus on the site failed to ask... will this be your daily driver or will be used mostly for towing your camper? If it is a daily driver, of course a newer truck be it used or new will give you a bit of piece of mind. If you are just dragging a camper, well... in my case, I bought a 2006 F350 strippo model for $7K and put about $3K in it and it is now reliable and works well for pulling my camper. $40K is a lot of money for a tow beast but if you are going to use it as a daily driver get one that will also work for towing. I tend to buy clunkers and work on my property and don't put many miles on my truck. Look at that aspect with regard to your own situation.

Not a daily driver but will be taking it mostly weekends from our home in Long Beach, CA to our other home in Palm Springs, CA ,110 miles apart. Also we camp (without TT) and backpack often so it's nice to take a truck for our gear.

As far as upgrading, we've been contemplating on moving up to a larger TT. Who knows what the next RV show will be and what catches our eye then, so I'd like to keep the options open on something that'll pull a bigger TT if the need arises.

wiredgeorge
08-06-2020, 01:29 PM
If occasional RV puller with some commuting, perhaps a gas 1 ton might work best; the gassers are a tad less expensive to maintain and you may not need tons of torque although most modern gassers are adequate. I would look to the future and get a one ton for sure. If you do see a great deal on a 3/4 ton, be sure to check the payload sticker carefully as many, especially the fancier ones don't have much.

rhagfo
08-06-2020, 02:11 PM
Not a daily driver but will be taking it mostly weekends from our home in Long Beach, CA to our other home in Palm Springs, CA ,110 miles apart. Also we camp (without TT) and backpack often so it's nice to take a truck for our gear.

As far as upgrading, we've been contemplating on moving up to a larger TT. Who knows what the next RV show will be and what catches our eye then, so I'd like to keep the options open on something that'll pull a bigger TT if the need arises.

We bought a used 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW CTD, Aisin to tow our about 13,000# 5er. It has enough bells and whistles to make daily driving very enjoyable and comfortable.

wiredgeorge
08-06-2020, 02:18 PM
We bought a used 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW CTD, Aisin to tow our about 13,000# 5er. It has enough bells and whistles to make daily driving very enjoyable and comfortable.

I was looking at a sales flyer from a local RAM store and the Tradesman one tons (SRW/gas) were about $50K or a tad less and the Laramie one tons were over $70K. What would you miss out on with a Tradesman vs the Laramie? That was quite a price delta!

rhagfo
08-06-2020, 03:05 PM

I was looking at a sales flyer from a local RAM store and the Tradesman one tons (SRW/gas) were about $50K or a tad less and the Laramie one tons were over $70K. What would you miss out on with a Tradesman vs the Laramie? That was quite a price delta!

Well our 2016 bought used in Dec 2018 with 27K miles had a window sticker of $69,005. The base 3500 crew cab 4X4 base price was $50,860.
The Laramie package includes a lot of B&W big are remote keyless entry, park sense front and rear and rear camera, Alpine stereo, power fold away tow mirrors, 10 way power drivers seat, and 6 way passenger seat. The other big adds to the were the 6.7 Cummins $8,995, the Aisin transmission $2,595, DRW $1,200.
We are very happy with this truck, we are now just over 51K miles.

sourdough
08-06-2020, 03:53 PM
Well our 2016 bought used in Dec 2018 with 27K miles had a window sticker of $69,005. The base 3500 crew cab 4X4 base price was $50,860.
The Laramie package includes a lot of B&W big are remote keyless entry, park sense front and rear and rear camera, Alpine stereo, power fold away tow mirrors, 10 way power drivers seat, and 6 way passenger seat. The other big adds to the were the 6.7 Cummins $8,995, the Aisin transmission $2,595, DRW $1,200.
We are very happy with this truck, we are now just over 51K miles.

…….and heated/cooled leather seats, huge center dash monitor/control panel, adjustable pedals, memory seats/wheel etc., high powered headlights/drls, side detection monitors, etc. :D

rhagfo
08-06-2020, 05:02 PM
…….and heated/cooled leather seats, huge center dash monitor/control panel, adjustable pedals, memory seats/wheel etc., high powered headlights/drls, side detection monitors, etc. :D

Only a 2016, no adjustable pedals, or side detection, most of the rest.

wiredgeorge
08-06-2020, 05:17 PM
On the 2006 F350 XL - Not sure of seat material (2 sets of seat covers), plastic floor mat, manual tow mirrors, manual door locks (since put in some remote control door locks), crank up windows, AM/FM/CD (swapped out for Pioneer with big screen for rear view camera) but does have good A/C. About $3.5K in engine work & new front end and two news tires. Bought for $7K so I have a $10.5K investment and it does what I need it to. Already had the Andersen hitch. Oh yeah, and some fuzzy dice on the mirror!

rhagfo
08-07-2020, 01:42 PM
On the 2006 F350 XL - Not sure of seat material (2 sets of seat covers), plastic floor mat, manual tow mirrors, manual door locks (since put in some remote control door locks), crank up windows, AM/FM/CD (swapped out for Pioneer with big screen for rear view camera) but does have good A/C. About $3.5K in engine work & new front end and two news tires. Bought for $7K so I have a $10.5K investment and it does what I need it to. Already had the Andersen hitch. Oh yeah, and some fuzzy dice on the mirror!

Well for us our 2016 Ram is our only vehicle. So for us to have creature comforts is expected.

wiredgeorge
08-07-2020, 02:08 PM
Well for us our 2016 Ram is our only vehicle. So for us to have creature comforts is expected.

I work on my property and my wife has her dream car; a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria (just turned 66K miles). She has had MANY Crown Vics in the past. She is now fully retired so isn't putting many miles on that car these days. The Crown Vic is ultra comfy and gets decent gas mileage (over 20 mpg if I recall correctly). If I go somewhere, I take my trike these days (2006 GL1800 Roadsmith conversion) but don't go much these days; hopefully we will get on top the Corona and things get back where we can enjoy breakfast rides and trips. Camper is a good alternative right now as we can go and still be kind of self-isolated.

Jacko
08-09-2020, 07:18 AM
I was in that same boat last December. We wanted a 5th wheel and did not have a truck. I can remember my buddy telling me 20 years ago, buy your 2nd RV first, meaning you will buy one and then in a few months you will wish you bought a bigger one. So I bought my 2nd truck first and got a nice 3500 SRW diesel. This is my first ever truck and I'm amazed my the ride, its great, and the MPG is super, and it hauls my little 36 foot 5th wheel just dandy.

chunker
08-09-2020, 07:32 AM
One consideration that hasn't been brought up is where are you going to travel. If you are staying in the flat a gas might work. If you are going into "them thar hills" a diesel is highly desired. Not just for the power but the exhaust braking.

I also advise going up to the 1T if the numbers are anywhere close to the edge of a 3/4T. The CC difference between a 1 and 3/4T give a nice comfort safety edge. Many 3/4T have very little practical CC and that usually get reduced with add-ons like bedliners, hitch, tool boxes, etc. Example my 2016 Ford Lariat F-250 crew, 4WD was just over 2000#. My 2017 Ram Laramie in the sig line is 4207#. Both diesel but the Ram is long bed otherwise similar appointments.

Kebees42
08-09-2020, 07:32 AM

Thoughts?

You might want to pay attention to the payload. The diesel truck is about 1000 lbs less than gas. I just bought a ram 2500 with 6.4 because of the payload.

larryflew
08-09-2020, 07:35 AM
Ditto on going to used 1 ton D. Prefer GM myself but all the major brands have decent 1 ton D's going back quite aways. Love our GMC which is 2008 just before DEF.

notanlines
08-09-2020, 08:11 AM
Keebes, Fords 6.7 weighs about 920 dry, depending on whose spec's you believe. The 7.3 weighs about 540 dry again depends who you believe. Any idea where your 1000 pound of payload figure came from?

Kebees42
08-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Keebes, Fords 6.7 weighs about 920 dry, depending on whose spec's you believe. The 7.3 weighs about 540 dry again depends who you believe. Any idea where your 1000 pound of payload figure came from?

My info is from Ram truck payload and towing capacity. I will try posting a link and you go to a truck of choice and it will give payload and towing specs. It was an eye opener for me when I was in the market for a new truck. If I would bought a Cummins vs gas the fifth wheel I'm buying would been over payload.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

Dkentaz65
08-09-2020, 08:26 AM
I just sold my 2015 Ford F-350 6.7L diesel for $42k having 84k miles on it. Bought a new dually for future RVing. You can find a decent diesel whether Dodge, Ford or Chevy at that price. I would not go gas at all. Even hauling a 10k+lb TT, you’ll love having a diesel! Take it from me who bought the V10 gas Ford Excursion vs diesel and regretted that decision back in 2005. Take care!

Rwake901
08-09-2020, 08:48 AM
I went through this same thing a little over a year ago. It was a tough pill to swallow for me that for the same money I could buy a new 1 ton gas with full five years of warranty versus a 3 or 4 year old diesel with 50 or 60 thousand miles on it. I went gas and pull around 12500 to 13000 with it. I don’t regret buying gas it works for us. Like other people have said though get a 1 ton not 3/4. Good luck on your decision.

sourdough
08-09-2020, 09:08 AM
I went through this same thing a little over a year ago. It was a tough pill to swallow for me that for the same money I could buy a new 1 ton gas with full five years of warranty versus a 3 or 4 year old diesel with 50 or 60 thousand miles on it. I went gas and pull around 12500 to 13000 with it. I don’t regret buying gas it works for us. Like other people have said though get a 1 ton not 3/4. Good luck on your decision.

As anyone that reads my posts knows, I'm a gas truck guy and will try to stay that way unless DW informs me otherwise with her desire for a larger/heavier trailer. That said, I will say that I sometimes envy the ability of the diesels to fuel up vs what's available for a gas truck. Seems convenience larger rigs (semis generally) was a thought when the diesel lanes were built. Gas pumps are hit and miss and I've had to do some pretty wild gyrations to get in/out of places I pulled into.

Trucker2565
08-09-2020, 09:51 AM
For my 2 cents.. I have a 34 ft 5th wheel keystone hideout. Its roughly #12000 loaded. I use to pull it with an 06 power wagon 5.7 hemi it was tough on that motor and 4 speed tranny. 2 years ago I upgraded to ram 2500 HD 6.4 L 6 speed auto. Pulls like a dream for me. I live in colorado so Eisenhower pass is 6% grade and I top the hill at 55 headed west. Mine is not a daily driver and I hear diesels like to work so a gas motor was much cheaper to maintain. Oil changes etc in my opinion I didnt want a diesel setting in my driveway 6 days a week. Steep hills better mileage with diesel.

Uneasyrider
08-09-2020, 09:54 AM
I bought my Ram 3500 CC Long Bed Dually Tradesman with the Aisin transmission, bright appearance, Fifth wheel prep kit and running boards for 41,000 with 15,000 miles on it and one year old. Look harder.

Campermike
08-09-2020, 10:14 AM
I bought my Ram 3500 CC Long Bed Dually Tradesman with the Aisin transmission, bright appearance, Fifth wheel prep kit and running boards for 41,000 with 15,000 miles on it and one year old. Look harder.

How long ago? Prices rose for used trucks at least around here since last fall... Now I couldn't easily get a truck like mine for what I paid back then. And I mean I couldn't buy my 1 year older truck with 12k more miles for that price...

J2couch2
08-09-2020, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=rob_ps;402662]I'm ready to pick up a new TV and with a budget of $40k, I have a choice of going new, 2020 Ram Tradesman Crew 2500 6.4, dealer selling at 39k, or going used. The used trucks I've been seeing at that price range are about 60k miles for a 6.7 CTD, about 5 years old.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

J2couch2
08-09-2020, 10:24 AM
Go diesel. The power and fuel efficiency is no comparison. You will regret buying a gas truck.

wiredgeorge
08-09-2020, 10:40 AM
Well, you asked for opinions and they are all over the place, as to be expected. I price a NEW F350 (bright red) dually single cab XL trim with 7.3 gas engine and 4.30 rear 2wd and it came in at under $43K. You can't find that truck on any lot anywhere so would have to order it but a 7.3 looks to be a decent alternative to the 6.7 diesel which runs about $8K more. I priced the truck with two batteries and heavy duty alternator and the goose neck package. I avoided the back up assist and such because they can only be bundled with a bunch of other gee-gaws; same with power towing mirrors. The truck does have the standard seats and vinyl floors.

Paultherock
08-09-2020, 11:09 AM
For reliability you might consider a GM product... Duramax diesel with Allison tranny. Resale is excellent.

Rdynbama
08-09-2020, 12:13 PM
It’s easier to get to a diesel fuel pump with a TT than try to snake through the gas lanes at most gas/fuel stations
I’ve done both and I’m sticking with the F450 diesel TV
Just my two cents

Roscommon48
08-09-2020, 12:18 PM
for $40K you can get a nice 2015-16 F350.

Halcyon
08-09-2020, 12:53 PM
First 5er in my life. 2017 Sprinter 33’, 8600# empty, 1600# load. Bought a 2005 6L gasser 2500. Great shape, but with almost 200K miles. First trip from Colorado Springs to Dolores CO, over Monarch Pass, 11,312 feet. Didn’t get there. Blew a press fitting out of side of block. Was able to get put back in, refilled radiator. Screaming 5500 rpm over Monument, Many brake events on way down in spite of gearing down, tow mode, etc. Scared all the way home that something would break. 8.4 mpg.
Went and got a 2017 2500 Silverado, 6.7 diesel, 373 rear new, $55K. Took the same trip. (Same dog agility trial). Flew over Monument like it wasn’t there. Two brake applications on way down, 50 mph easy. 12.4 mpg.
No comparison in the “hills” if you have them.

Jim deKieffer
Elizabeth, CO

toolittletime
08-09-2020, 01:56 PM
If you are "in" to RVing, you will upgrade trailer before the next truck after this. I would take the 40K and look for a 3500 diesel. It will ride the same and hold the resale better. It will save you a truck upgrade again in a couple years. Ask me how I know. LOL

What he said......I love my new Ram 3500 dually diesel. Bought it for 44k + tax and registration.
Tim

saber707
08-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Recommend diesel for sure.

JSisemoreTX
08-09-2020, 02:37 PM
You can get an awfully nice used F-250 for $40k.....

To me going Diesel is a no Brainer. Go test drive one and you'll never look back.

Badbart56
08-09-2020, 04:48 PM
For my 2 cents.. I have a 34 ft 5th wheel keystone hideout. Its roughly #12000 loaded. I use to pull it with an 06 power wagon 5.7 hemi it was tough on that motor and 4 speed tranny. 2 years ago I upgraded to ram 2500 HD 6.4 L 6 speed auto. Pulls like a dream for me. I live in colorado so Eisenhower pass is 6% grade and I top the hill at 55 headed west. Mine is not a daily driver and I hear diesels like to work so a gas motor was much cheaper to maintain. Oil changes etc in my opinion I didnt want a diesel setting in my driveway 6 days a week. Steep hills better mileage with diesel.

But a gasser sitting in your driveway six days a week is ok? My 2011 6.7 F350 dually sits for 6-8 weeks at a time. So did my 97 7.3 F350 dually. Doesn't hurt em a bit. And the 6.7 has 190K miles on it.

MikeRP
08-09-2020, 05:32 PM
I would look for a Bighorn Crew Cab 3500 with the Hemi. Gorgeous Truck payload will be over 4000 lbs and it has more than plenty of power. Get the 3.73 rear end of new with the 8 speed or if you find one used get the 4.11’s. My brother and I have the same exact truck except I have the Cummins and he has the Hemi. The Hemi is smooth and powerful and a whole lot less $$ to operate than my CTD.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my truck and I’m at a different point in life where a diesel makes sense.

But his truck is incredible and the 3500 will insulate you for years on towing capability.

sourdough
08-09-2020, 05:44 PM
I would look for a Bighorn Crew Cab 3500 with the Hemi. Gorgeous Truck payload will be over 4000 lbs and it has more than plenty of power. Get the 3.73 rear end of new with the 8 speed or if you find one used get the 4.11’s. My brother and I have the same exact truck except I have the Cummins and he has the Hemi. The Hemi is smooth and powerful and a whole lot less $$ to operate than my CTD.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my truck and I’m at a different point in life where a diesel makes sense.

But his truck is incredible and the 3500 will insulate you for years on towing capability.

The 4.10 vs 3.73 with the 6.4 makes a huge difference with the 8 speed. Don't know what all they changed but my '14 with 6.4, 3.73 and 6 speed was nothing like this new one....and the engine sounds completely different. No need for a diesel at my level that I've found.

Rwake901
08-09-2020, 06:35 PM
The 4.10 vs 3.73 with the 6.4 makes a huge difference with the 8 speed. Don't know what all they changed but my '14 with 6.4, 3.73 and 6 speed was nothing like this new one....and the engine sounds completely different. No need for a diesel at my level that I've found.

Sourdough, how much weight are you pulling with your gas pickup?

Gegrad
08-09-2020, 06:41 PM

Could be the new transmission as well. Hard to isolate which one it is for you since you changed gear ratios and transmissions in your move from the '14.

sourdough
08-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Sourdough, how much weight are you pulling with your gas pickup?

I have not scaled it. Bought it, DD in FL got sick as we were closing the deal, had to leave and got back 4 days ago to ruined fridge, no fridge availability, find one and arrange install plus all my communications at the house had been disconnected and I've worked every day on that trying to get it "back". All that said;

Dry weight on this unit, if real, is 11, 4xx. We carried 12-1300 lbs. of stuff in our other trailer scaled. We removed some things in the changeover but added some things so should be very close to same weights. Hitch went from approx. 125lbs. to approx. 40lbs. Load in truck dropped because we stopped carrying some other items including a 50lb. enclosure. Figure we are at 13k or a little less.

The 8 speed was a game changer. The 6 speed had so many "holes" in the ratios that you were always falling into one and trying to get out. The 8 speed eliminated that. The 4.10 keeps it spinning so the drops are really negligible with tow/haul engaged. I really couldn't believe the difference. Specs don't indicate it but they did something to the engine; timing, cam, exhaust....it sounds nothing like the previous one I had...stronger.

Frosty46
08-09-2020, 11:43 PM
WE own a 2007 Dodge 2500 Ram 6.7 Cummins with Air Lift system, totally deleted, tuner, air induction mods. This truck is 2x2 with the six speed auto transmission. We tow a 13k toy hauler Raptor that is normally overloaded. It gets over 30 mpg empty and 14.7 mpg towing at 55 or so. Going fast as in 70 to 80 mph we get around ten mpg to 12 mpg depending on wind and elevation changes.

This model truck came before the urea by one year. We have well over 100k miles and we take very good care of it. Pulls like a monster and rides like a limo. Tried one tom rigs and found they ride like crap all the time.

rob_ps
08-10-2020, 11:30 AM
So we went out and looked at some TTs to see what we would like to get in the future and it looks like we don't see ourselves pulling more than 30' at 9,000lbs dry. Leaving one of the RV lots we ran into a guy with a 2015 Ram Diesel Big Horn 4x4 which had a For Sale sign. Truck was immaculate, and 10k service intervals from Ram dealers. Punching in the VIN on the Ram site states it can max pull 17,780lbs.

Long story short, I ended up picking up his truck, with 52k miles for 32.5k, 1.5k over what the dealer was going to give him for trade. I believe it was a win/win for both of us.

rhagfo
08-10-2020, 02:54 PM
So we went out and looked at some TTs to see what we would like to get in the future and it looks like we don't see ourselves pulling more than 30' at 9,000lbs dry. Leaving one of the RV lots we ran into a guy with a 2015 Ram Diesel Big Horn 4x4 which had a For Sale sign. Truck was immaculate, and 10k service intervals from Ram dealers. Punching in the VIN on the Ram site states it can max pull 17,780lbs.

Long story short, I ended up picking up his truck, with 52k miles for 32.5k, 1.5k over what the dealer was going to give him for trade. I believe it was a win/win for both of us.

Sounds like a good deal just turned in our 2016 Ram 3500, pulling at about 1/2 rated towing rating is sweet! Some day out west someone will ask you how did it pull in the hills, and your response will be "What Hills?"

travelin texans
08-10-2020, 03:24 PM
WE own a 2007 Dodge 2500 Ram 6.7 Cummins with Air Lift system, totally deleted, tuner, air induction mods. This truck is 2x2 with the six speed auto transmission. We tow a 13k toy hauler Raptor that is normally overloaded. It gets over 30 mpg empty and 14.7 mpg towing at 55 or so. Going fast as in 70 to 80 mph we get around ten mpg to 12 mpg depending on wind and elevation changes.

This model truck came before the urea by one year. We have well over 100k miles and we take very good care of it. Pulls like a monster and rides like a limo. Tried one tom rigs and found they ride like crap all the time.

I'm going to borrow a quote from another forum here by saying "my BS meter is twitching a bit" by your fuel mileage numbers.
Also I've had 2 -1 ton duallies that I'd match rides with your 3/4, neither road like crap loaded or empty.

04ctd
08-10-2020, 05:13 PM
gas motors are much more acceptable in the north, because the Rot Box body will rust away before the diesel pays for itself.

we bought a Hemi 6.4 liter gasser, 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 MegaCab with the 4.10 gears (4.11?)

it REALLY did somethings GREAT.

it got 12~16 MPG off the lot though, around 10 with a 24 foot enclosed trailer behind it.

I put a HARD tonneau cover on it, and MPG went to 14~18 empty
if I could find a SUV to draft pretty close, it could rip off 20MPG but drafting that close was annoying, esp at night, the headlights bothered big trucks.

I "think" sticker was $52, we paid high 40's OTD, and it was worth $34k on trade within a few months.

so, i would investigate trade prices on a NEW truck, to be sure if you get it, and you can't live with it....you won't take a $15k bath.

E Rod
08-11-2020, 06:06 AM
I would stick with diesel. I just replaced my 2019 F350 king ranch dually after it was totaled in a bad accident with a 2016 F350 King Ranch dually with 3.73 gears and 53k miles on it for $48k. I had to travel about 500 hundred miles to pick it up . It tows my Alpine at 15k just fine. I miss the bells n whistles of my 19 but for almost half the price I'm ok with my 16. Go online and do a search. Don't be afraid to travel to pick it up.

wiredgeorge
08-11-2020, 06:15 AM
I'm going to borrow a quote from another forum here by saying "my BS meter is twitching a bit" by your fuel mileage numbers.
Also I've had 2 -1 ton duallies that I'd match rides with your 3/4, neither road like crap loaded or empty.

2X2 3/4 ton trucks get twice the mileage of 4x4. The guy has claimed 30 mpg in the past.

flybouy
08-11-2020, 11:36 AM
2X2 3/4 ton trucks get twice the mileage of 4x4. The guy has claimed 30 mpg in the past.

Twice the mpg, twice the load capacity, twice the amount of “fishing stories”. Just don’t drive it over the scales because twice the BS might break them!:lol:

rhagfo
08-11-2020, 11:51 AM

Twice the mpg, twice the load capacity, twice the amount of “fishing stories”. Just don’t drive it over the scales because twice the BS might break them!:lol:

I use to get 19 to 20 mpg on the highway with our 2001 Ram 5 speed manual and 3.55’s running between 65 and 70.
The 2016 Ram CTD Aisin 3.73 DRW lie’o meter gets up to 18 mpg.

Both of the above are 4X4’s!

30 mpg is pretty unrealistic daily Hwy driving

rhagfo
08-11-2020, 12:04 PM

I think this may have slipped by many of you! The OP found his new to him TV, not a bad deal!

wiredgeorge
08-11-2020, 02:55 PM
I think this may have slipped by many of you! The OP found his new to him TV, not a bad deal!

What is a "Big Horn"? A one ton? Does it get 30 mpg as a daily driver?

rhagfo
08-11-2020, 03:10 PM
What is a "Big Horn"? A one ton? Does it get 30 mpg as a daily driver?

Big Horn is one trim level below Laramie, based in the 17,700# tow capacity guessing a 2500.

rob_ps
08-12-2020, 05:52 AM
Big Horn is one trim level below Laramie, based in the 17,700# tow capacity guessing a 2500.

Yes a 2500.

The guy I bought it from was buying a Class A and the RV Dealer wouldn't budge on his trade value.

Skillet92
08-13-2020, 04:32 PM
Not sure what level truck you are looking at but I bought my 15 Big Horn a year old with 9000 miles for 42k. The deals are out there. No matter what if you tow your camper a lot. Get the diesel.

Skillet92
08-13-2020, 04:36 PM
No on the 30 mpg. BTW