PDA

View Full Version : Weird AC Issue

MrCooper
07-21-2020, 10:38 AM
I own a brand new 2020 Keystone Hideout 262LHS with a Coleman Mach A/C unit, and this past weekend, something crazy happened. In Central NC, the summers are pretty humid and hot. We were laying in the bed and noticed that the air flow was lacking from the vents, and the air was not "cold." I could tell that the unit was only blowing fan air, and not much of it. I checked a few things and finally gave up for the night as it was close to midnight. A few minutes later, we heard what was a high pitch "beep" for a few seconds, then the compressor kicked in, the fan had much more output, and all was good. I cannot replicate the issue. Is this something that others have experienced?

chuckster57
07-21-2020, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Turn off the AC. Then unplug from shore power, and have someone stand in front of the microwave when you plug it back in. That may be the beep you heard. If so then I’m wondering if you didn’t experience an outage. Even a tiny one can make the AC compressor motor start back up for 10-15 minutes.

I’m just thinking out loud here.

Javi
07-21-2020, 11:19 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Turn off the AC. Then unplug from shore power, and have someone stand in front of the microwave when you plug it back in. That may be the beep you heard. If so then I’m wondering if you didn’t experience an outage. Even a tiny one can make the AC compressor motor start back up for 10-15 minutes.

I’m just thinking out loud here.

Another reason I have a hardwired EMS...

flybouy
07-21-2020, 11:39 AM
^^^ what he said. an EMS (energy management system) will monitor the incoming power. If there is an issue such as missing a connection to ground, or neutral, or excessively low voltage, it will shut the power off to protect the appliances from incurring damage. The a/c units, fridge, water heater, etc. can be damaged from brown outs (low voltage) and from power cycling (like your lights at home flickering during a bad storm) by disconnecting the power and not restoring it until the power is stable. Then when it is stable it will have a delay before energizing to protect the a/c compressor.

Don't confuse an EMS with a surge protector. Surge protectors are useless.

MarkEHansen
07-21-2020, 11:48 AM
I too think it sounds like you experienced a brown-out. These can be really dangerous for motorized appliances (like the air conditioner) as the motors draw more current as the voltage goes lower.

I have a Progressive hard-wired HW30C EMS (electrical management system) and would never want to be without it. If you did have a brown-out and stuff didn't break, you're quite lucky.

MarkEHansen
07-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Oh, and welcome to the forum!