PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a new 2020 Passport SL 239ML

Oakville2020
07-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Hello,

We're about to buy a new 2020 Passport SL 239ML. This will be our first trailer, we had a Jayco pop-up previously. Would you recommend this trailer? Is is a good trailer for first times?

Thanks

chuckster57
07-19-2020, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:
Can I “recommend” the unit your looking at? That’s tough because I have no idea what your looking for. I can recommend that you don’t buy ANY trailer until you have laid eyes and hands on it. If it has all the features and floor plan that suits you, I can say If you “kick the tires” and it doesn’t fall apart go for it. For the price, the passport is better than a Jayco in the same price range.

Oakville2020
07-19-2020, 06:25 PM
Thanks chuckster57.

The Passport 239ML has many of the features we are looking for. It looks great on the lot and feels substantial when "kicking the tires", just not sure how it will hold up. We've been a little spooked with some of the negative comments online, it's a large purchase and one of the themes that come up regularly is that it's a fight getting any warranty work done.

chuckster57
07-19-2020, 06:40 PM
Warranty work will be a fight with any brand and any dealer. The current up swing in sales has service departments swamped with new deliveries. Make sure the unit you buy has been fully prepped and make them show you it works before you take possession. Search for “PDI” and you’ll find a file to download and print.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

fritzlomar
07-19-2020, 07:15 PM
I own a 2020 239ml. It is a great trailer. We upgraded from a pop up into a 2018 239ml. Our 2018 was totaled in an accident and that is why we have a 2020 now. We really like all of the changes they have made in two years. The camper is a perfect size so you can still get into small sites, but with plenty of room. The Murphy bed is basically your slide out as it gives you living space during the day. Compared to the other units on the market at that size it is great because you get big RV features and appliances in a light weight package. Let me know if you have any particular questions.

Bill-2020
07-19-2020, 07:33 PM
I have a 2020 239ML (with the rear cargo door, makes world of difference). Each person or family requires specific needs and wants, so to say this would be a good match for you isn't something that I can answer for your situation.

I can say, it tows well with the right WD hitch setup on a capable 1/2 ton tow vehicle. Counter space is good as well as interior and exterior storage areas. This is where the rear cargo and flip-up bottom bunk comes into play. Just keep an eye the weight you put back there. Rear door lock assembly can be changed out to an interior/exterior handle assembly and keyed to match the main entry door.

Not a bad unit priced at about $20K.

Oakville2020
07-19-2020, 07:59 PM
Will do! Thanks again chuckster57

Oakville2020
07-19-2020, 08:04 PM
Thanks fritzlomar. We love the Murphy bed, especially the non-folding mattress! Did you upgrade anything on your trailer? I've read that some change out the fan in the washroom to a bigger one?

Oakville2020
07-19-2020, 08:08 PM
Thanks Bill-2020. Was there a particular WD hitch setup you'd recommend? As part of the deal, there is a load leveling and brake assist added, put I'm not familiar if any better than others. Anything else I should ask for?

Bill-2020
07-19-2020, 08:26 PM
Thanks Bill-2020. Was there a particular WD hitch setup you'd recommend? As part of the deal, there is a load leveling and brake assist added, put I'm not familiar if any better than others. Anything else I should ask for?

Make sure you get a "4-point sway control hitch with weight distribution." Most popular here is the Equalizer brand. I elected to purchase a Curt brand myself (1000/10,000 model, I can't remember the model number at the moment).

I chose the 1000 pound max tongue weight version over the 800 pound version because I will probably end up with a slightly larger unit in the years to come. Which then means a different TV. I have towed the 239 with a lighter rated WD hitch and I must say that the stiffer 1000 pound version holds the road better especially when being passed by a semi on the highway. I searched the web for the best pricing when I bought it. Amazon had the best price at the time. Equalizer is apparently a better brand but I can't tell you why it is. They are about $700+ I believe... I paid about $250 less than that for the Curt. It does what I need it to. American made, by American workers (Equalizer is too, just to be fair).

Edit: It’s a Curt Trutrack system. You can back up with the bars still engaged. Some others you can’t back up with the bars engaged. Food for thought.

fritzlomar
07-20-2020, 04:21 AM
Oakville2020, one thing that I really liked about the 2020 239ml is that the manufacturer now included many of the upgrades that I made to my 2018. The only thing I changed on my 2020 was to install 2 MaxxairII vent covers over the vents. Also, I replaced the rubber propane hoses at the regulator with stainless steel braided lines.

Oakville2020
07-22-2020, 06:17 AM
We took the plunge and yesterday we decided to buy the 2020 Passport 239ML. We are very excited!! Thank you all for all the fantastic help.

We upgraded the bathroom fan to a Maxx Fan Plus with a vent cover over it as was suggested here and other threads. Will look at getting the second vent covered as well (is that from the kitchen fan, or other venting?)

They didn't have a 1000lbs 4-point sway control hitch with weight distribution available, but we got a Blue OX sway Pro 1000lbs, they told us it's a very good quality system and it would work well with this trailer and our Highlander awd. Hopefully that's true?

I'm going to definitely look at getting those stainless steel cables. I changed out our home toilet and fridge water lines to the braided stainless lines a while back and they're great. I'm sure they'll do even a better job on this much more important location.

Thanks again!!!

Oakville2020
07-22-2020, 06:26 AM
Sorry. One more question (for now).
They are trying to sell us outside/paint protection (inside as well but included- 5 years you don't have to wax or something) and extended warranty (just like at the auto dealer-up to 6 years), we usually don't get those on our cars, but are they good on a trailer?

Gobirds38
07-22-2020, 06:37 AM
Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

sourdough
07-22-2020, 06:51 AM
They are trying to sell us outside/paint protection (inside as well but included- 5 years you don't have to wax or something) and extended warranty (just like at the auto dealer-up to 6 years), we usually don't get those on our cars, but are they good on a trailer?

DO NOT take the outside/inside protection package. It is literally a scam. At most, if you're lucky, for the time you have that very expensive coverage, all they do is reapply the same stuff that doesn't work.....again. I found that you can actually pay to have your trailer professionally buffed/waxed yearly for the price you pay for that coverage.....plus no hassle.

Extended warranty may/may not be worth anything depending on if you need it and whatever happens is covered. Fine print is everything. I buy from CW and carry Good Sam (same group) extended warranty (on the last 2 new trailers). Last trailer it paid for itself over and beyond the cost of the coverage. We'll see on this one. Many prefer to forego the coverage and do it themselves if something happens, and that's not a bad approach. I can no longer get down, lay and crawl around under the trailer so I'm not inclined to want to be in that situation. Depending on the failure, with the costs of both the material plus labor at $150hr., it doesn't take long to eat up the cost of an extended warranty policy.......if it's ever needed; and you may not.

Bill-2020
07-22-2020, 07:43 AM
Uh, as in Toyota Highlander AWD? I’m not sure that vehicle can really handle that trailer.

flybouy
07-22-2020, 08:04 AM
Uh, as in Toyota Highlander AWD? I’m not sure that vehicle can really handle that trailer.

Agreed, he's way over weight and unsafe. The trailer is rated at 4,430 lbs EMPTY with a carrying capacity of 2,000 lbs. Gross max weight 6,430 lbs. At 13% tongue weight that hitch weight would be 836 lbs. https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/passport/floorplans/239ml-sl-series-travel-trailer/

From what I can find online the tow capacity is between 1,500 and 5,000 lbs https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS575US575&sxsrf=ALeKk02Eef_3ZlxIN7MLBCSBSAQ4pCD_2g:159543274 0929&q=How+much+weight+can+a+2019+Highlander+tow%3F&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrmaSOmuHqAhVIHM0KHR_UBw4Qzmd6BAgcEAU&biw=1680&bih=907

But what's more important is the Toyota's Load capacity. That's found on the driver's door sticker with a yellow and white placard that reads "maximum passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxx lbs.). Take that number and subtract the tongue weight 836, the weight of the hitch (about 125 lbs) for a total of 961 lbs. Subtract that sticker cargo weight by 961 and IF you anything remaining that's how much you, your wife, kids, dog, food,fuel, and anything else not installed at the factory such as floor mats the stuff in the center console, etc.

Strapping a 25'long, 10' high box behind that Highlander will result in the "tail wagging the dog". That vehicle is a popup hauler at best.

Oakville2020
07-22-2020, 08:04 AM
Dealer said I'd be OK? Highlander (6cyl) rated for 5000lbs. Trailer is 4100lbs (I know that's dry). But if I don't travel with all but a small amount of fresh water (not that the dealer said that), I thought I'd be OK? Especially with the sway control hitch with weight distribution system.
Have I been hoodwinked??

JRTJH
07-22-2020, 08:06 AM
Toyota Highlander ??? With the 3.5l V6, max towing is 5000 pounds. With the 2.5l I4, the max towing is 3500 pounds...

The Passport 239ML "dry weight" (no battery, no propane, no cargo, no spare tire) is 4430 pounds. Add the Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000 (125 pounds) and you're around 4555 pounds. That's before you put sheets on the trailer bed or SPAM and a loaf of bread in the refrigerator....

You're going to be "in, WAY over your head" trying to tow that trailer with that SUV. My suggestion: Back away from the purchase of that trailer until you get an adequate tow vehicle or reduce the size/weight of the trailers you're looking at to a "shipping weight/tongue weight" of less than 3000 pounds/300 pounds. That's "pop-up trailers and fiberglass bubble trailer range".

No way your Highlander is capable of towing a 6400 pound trailer !!!!!

ADDED: You can NOT tow that trailer without a battery installed (it's required by law to power the break-away system) and a GP 24 battery weighs around 40 pounds. Then add the weight of propane to the empty tanks, that's another 40 pounds. So far, just to legally put the trailer on a public highway behind your Highlander and carry propane so the refrigerator, water heater, stove and furnace will work, you've got to add another 80+ pounds to that 4555. So, when you leave the dealer's lot with the trailer behind your Highlander, it will weigh 4635 pounds. That's without chocks to keep it from rolling at a campsite, without blocks to level the trailer so the refrigerator will function, without a sewer hose or fittings, without a water hose to supply city water and without the first screwdriver, wrench, jack, lug wrench, pot, pan, sheet, roll of toilet paper, paper towels, bath towels, wash cloths, pillows, underwear, toothbrush, bar of soap....

Hopefully you get the idea... Your Highlander is WOEFULLY inadequate to safely or even to mechanically tow a trailer that size.....

I urge you, DON'T DO IT !!!!!

travelin texans
07-22-2020, 08:10 AM
Dealer said I'd be OK? Highlander (6cyl) rated for 5000lbs. Trailer is 4100lbs (I know that's dry). But if I don't travel with all but a small amount of fresh water (not that the dealer said that), I thought I'd be OK? Especially with the sway control hitch with weight distribution system.
Have I been hoodwinked??

AND yet another "the dealer said"!!!!
Unfortunately there are countless newcomers, past & present, that are exactly in the same spot as you. The vehicle literature states you can tow XXXX, but that's only one small part of the equation.
The stickers on the drivers door jamb are the numbers needed & I don't think you'll find that max tow weight on either of them.
There's one that states "occupants & cargo must not exceed XXXX lbs" that's the killer number. The weight is everything over the weight of a tank fuel & a 150lb driver, so add up all your family & their stuff, the tongue weight of the loaded RV was 860+ & the hitch at 125lbs & I think you'll find you exceeded that payload number long ago.
Then you have the GVWR & axle weight limits on those stickers, none of them can be exceeded & still operate safely.
The dealer is not about to tell you that you don't have enough vehicle, first off they don't have a clue if you do or not or how to calculate it & second they don't care as long as you buy something.
Plus from experience you may load light once or twice, but it just keeps adding up til your at or well over the RV max GVWR as well.

flybouy
07-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Have I been hoodwinked??

Bolded black section. We hear this everyday. They either don't know or outright lie. The only thing they are concerned about is getting your money.

Now the bold red ... That dry weight is what it weighed from the factory. It does not include the battery, propane and propane tanks, and all the "stuff" you put in it. So let's look at what you are "likely" to add.

Sheets, pillows, blankets, other linens.
Cloths, shoes, rain coats,
Cooking utensils, pots, pans, coffee maker, toaster, can opener.
Eating utensils, plates cups, forks spoons knives.
Food & drinks, cooking essentials such as spices, coffee, aluminum foil, baggies, coffee creamer, sweetener, salt pepper, spices, soups, popcorn, s'mores marshmallows, hershey bars, gram crackers, popcorn, hot dogs, etc.etc.
Paper towels, cleaners (dish soap, spray cleaners, disinfectants etc), paper napkins, plastic cups, etc.
Bathroom toiletries, toilet paper, towels, soaps, bug spray, sunscreen, first aid and beauty supplies.
Entertainment, tablets, laptop, phone chargers, dvd's, board games, fishing pole and tackle box, bean bag (corn hole) game, balls, bat glove, football, flashlights, kids games, books, magazines, etc., etc.

Still traveling "light"? Now I know you're reading that list thinkling "there's no way I'm packing all that stuff". Well it has a way of sneaking up on you. You'll be in a store and say "let's get that Lodge Cast Iron cook set it would be prefect for camping" or "oh look at the cute rugs and matching throws with the camper on it".

You will be overloaded from the moment you hitch up, much less after loading up. This happens all too frequently to those that are inexperienced. No one's trying to rain on your parade. Most of us have been thru this and just hate to see it happen to someone else.

Oakville2020
07-22-2020, 08:40 AM
I've sent in an email to the Business Manager and Salesperson, with the unsigned contract, hopefully they'll answer honestly in writing:(!!

Oakville2020
07-22-2020, 08:43 AM
Food & drinks, cooking essentials such as spices, coffee, aluminum foil, baggies, coffee creamer, sweetener, salt pepper, spices, soups, popcorn, s'mores marshmallows, hershey bars, gram crackers, popcorn, hot dogs, etc.etc.
Paper towels, cleaners (dish soap, spray cleaners, disinfectants etc), paper napkins, plastic cups, etc.
Bathroom toiletries, toilet paper, towels, soaps, bug spray, sunscreen, first aid and beauty supplies.
Entertainment, tablets, laptop, phone chargers, dvd's, board games, fishing pole and tackle box, bean bag (corn hole) game, balls, bat glove, football, flashlights, kids games, books, magazines, etc., etc.

Still traveling "light"? Now I know you're reading that list thinkling "there's no way I'm packing all that stuff". Well it has a way of sneaking up on you. You'll be in a store and say "let's get that Lodge Cast Iron cook set it would be prefect for camping" or "oh look at the cute rugs and matching throws with the camper on it".

You know my wife??

Bill-2020
07-22-2020, 08:57 AM
Oak- I should have asked you long ago what vehicle you were planning on using when I stated it towed well with a 1/2 ton capable vehicle. My apologies. I tow our 239 with a Tundra. It’s stable and handles the trailer and I’m within the weight limits with 3-4 days food, propane, clothing and about 10 gallons of fresh water for traveling purposes. We don’t boondock. The Highlander will not be safe. Please reconsider the trailer or reconsider the towing vehicle.

flybouy
07-22-2020, 09:24 AM

You know my wife??

If she's anything like mine I do. I love mine dearly but I swear if I built the Taj Mahal she'd fill it up!

sourdough
07-22-2020, 09:38 AM
I've sent in an email to the Business Manager and Salesperson, with the unsigned contract, hopefully they'll answer honestly in writing:(!!

Hi Oakville. I'm usually trying to warn folks that fall into your situation/trap but I didn't catch the Highlander. Thankfully others picked right up on that. Sorry.

Not sure what you asked the dealer but if it pertains to weight they will not know....period. Dealt with too many as our other folks have.

Your door sticker is the definitive answer you have to use to assess your situation. From that you have to use the gvw of the trailer to keep you in safe(er) territory. Even if you don't use every lb. of the cargo capacity of the trailer (any trailer) using the gvw gives the buyer a bit of safety cushion. Post those sticker numbers and let's see where it goes.

Oakville2020
07-22-2020, 01:46 PM
Are these the stickers?

sourdough
07-22-2020, 01:46 PM
The bottom one (with the yellow) should have the payload weight but it is blurry and I can't read it.

Oakville2020
07-22-2020, 01:50 PM
The bottom one (with the yellow) should have the payload weight but it is blurry and I can't read it.
posted better quality pics

Bill-2020
07-22-2020, 02:17 PM
No additional pics there Oakville. Try again?

sourdough
07-22-2020, 02:28 PM
Thanks! My quad focals could read those.

Your payload is 1300 lbs. gawr front = 2965 / rear = 3503. GVWR is 5996 lbs.

The dilemma; as stated previously the tongue weight (13% of gvw) and hitch weight would come to approx. 961 lbs. That leaves about 340 lbs. for family, stuff.....all the things mentioned earlier....in an SUV meant to go the mall or get groceries. The suspension, tires etc. just isn't built for "towing"; they can pull something in a pinch but not a large travel trailer running across the countryside....safely.

By the time you load the trailer up, the family, the gear etc. to head off for a fun week you will more than likely be exceeding the gvwr of the vehicle, the rear gawr of the vehicle and the payload of the vehicle. Not only that, a small SUV comes with small "things" like springs, shocks, sway bars, frames, drive shafts, weak transmissions. And if it has AWD all that running gear was never meant to be stressed by the weight of that trailer being there.

You thought that you would never be loaded up...that will not be the case for long. But even if you never put only minimal stuff in the trailer you are still loading that Highlander down more than it was ever meant to be. The suspension components are made to give a soft, compliant, comfortable ride; the exact opposite of a towing suspension. Those qualities make it dangerous with a larger trailer; they can't control the forces the trailer exerts on the vehicle.

I will just say that I can't imagine putting a trailer that large and heavy behind a Highlander running empty (as possible) or at gvw. It's a recipe for disaster at the worst or a horrible experience trying to get from A to B waiting for the axe to fall at the best. JMO

sourdough
07-22-2020, 02:29 PM
No additional pics there Oakville. Try again?

The originals were updated with clearer pics.

MarkEHansen
07-22-2020, 02:30 PM
When considering the payload capacity of the tow vehicle, don't forget the weight of the WD Hitch. They are usually around 100lbs. That comes right out of the payload too.

travelin texans
07-22-2020, 02:33 PM
Best I can read you have 1300lbs of payload from that yellow sticker, 1300 - 836 tongue weight - 125lb hitch - all the passengers, pets & other stuff in the Toyota that didn't come from the factory = very little room for anything else.

Bill-2020
07-22-2020, 02:59 PM
The originals were updated with clearer pics.

Ah! Thanks Danny

Bill-2020
07-22-2020, 04:09 PM
Silver lining to this- It sounds like you haven’t signed he dotted line and you can back out. As heartbreaking to the family as it may be, you’ve just saved yourself a lot of trouble and potentially damage or worse, injury to someone. I’m glad you said “Highlander” earlier. Hope to hear that you can eventually get into something that will fit the needs of the family. (BTW- you did buy a great SUV, it just wasn’t meant to handle the 239)

Years ago we were just window shopping at a dealer to burn some time and a salesman was trying his hardest to get us convinced to buy and into something. After a while he realized what we had drove up in (the DWs little SUV), and he pulled his smart phone out and started to research it. It was then that he asked how many cylinders it had and I then realized what he was doing. Guess he thought her little four banger SUV would actually, maybe, pull the 19 footer we were standing next to (Jayco Jayflight I think)?. :facepalm: He asked if I was planning on using the SUV. I said I already had a trailer and a truck. You should have seen the “almost relief” in his face when he knew we had something larger because he probably realized he SUV really couldn’t handle it, but he never said it wouldn’t do it either. Hungry for a commission I suppose. We shook his hand and thanked him for his time.

Northofu1
07-22-2020, 05:07 PM
If changing your Tow vehicle is out of the question, I would look at some hybrids. The blue ox wdh weighs 80 lbs, add weight of family and belongings in TV.
This is small but might fit your need and would most likely be towable by your highlander.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4981Grhjuxg
GVWR is 4700 lbs and tongue weight is 611 lbs at 13%, you have some homework ahead of you. Start small and look at some of these models, they don't have to be Keystone's.
Good luck

Buckeyexx
07-23-2020, 04:23 AM
When I bought my passport 239ml in 2017 I was using my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 hemi v8. It had a tow rating of 7200 which is pretty high for a small suv.

While it would pull the camper down the road with all the power I needed and couldn’t really tell it was back there it just had a very short wheel base. I learned real quick that it wasn’t the right tow vehicle. Every tractor trailer or high winds would push me around and made for white knuckle experience.

Not trying to discourage you from buying it but just need the facts of something that small towing a sail behind it.

sourdough
07-23-2020, 07:15 AM
Oak, something to think about right away is your receiver on the Highlander. Didn't think about it yesterday but it came to me this morning. From memory but I believe you said the max tow rating for the vehicle is 5000lbs. If you look, and you need to, I think you will find that the receiver on it will be limited to 500lbs. You are looking at almost 1000lbs. It goes back to the intent that those kinds of vehicles were never meant as "tow" vehicles and they're just not built robust enough for it. Dropping that much weight on that receiver will eventually result in it breaking loose from the vehicle....trailer attached. That won't be a pretty sight for anyone...including the guy behind you or the one in the approaching lane.

WJQ
07-26-2020, 10:07 AM
Pay close attention to the comments. The dealers are often "uninformed" or lying just to get the deal. You not only have an undersized tow vehicle from a safety standpoint, but you may also submit your Highlander to excess wear and tear and end up with costly maintenance such as a transmission replacement. As described above, you will be overweight.

I used to own motorhomes but I now have my first trailer. The manufacturer's brochure said my trailer had a tongue weight of 660 lbs. The brochure didn't bother to mention that tongue weight was the "dry weight." Furthermore, did it not describe that "dry weight" excludes propane, batteries, water, any personal items loaded towards the front of the trailer not offset by weight in the rear of the trailer. My tongue weight with two filled propane tanks and two 6-volt batteries is 844 lbs assuming I load the trailer with equal amounts on the front and rear and do not carry any fresh water with me.

If you can't back out of your purchase, start looking for a 1/2 ton pickup truck with a V-8 engine. Depending on your finances, a low miles used truck will be a good solution. You will have plenty of towing capacity. With a good weight distribution hitch, you will also be safer than trying to tow with your Highlander.

Then, get prepared for your new "hobby." I bought a new Keystone Cougar trailer in late Oct 2018. As winter was on us here in Utah, there was no camping until the next May. I used the winter months to make some upgrades myself. Since then, after every trip, I have to fix something. So far this year, fixed a leaky shower, sliding door that comes of its track, shades that won't work properly, a window lever that broke, a drawer that came apart, a water heater control board failure, a gas leak in the stove, etc. Quality design and construction are unknown concepts in the Keystone factory. However, with this blog, you can find lots of good advice on how to do repairs yourself once your warranty expires.

After you get your pickup, use your trailer a lot, so the failures are covered under the 1-year warranty. I didn't take my trailer back to the dealer for most of the repairs that I could fix myself as the dealer is 60 miles away. I did have them fix the water heater and the gas leak under warranty.

Good luck and be safe.

bajaron
07-26-2020, 10:25 AM
I own a 2017 highlander. As no one has said yet dry weigh means nothing. Your will be way over Total weigh of 5000 pound and tongue weight of 500 pounds. never believe a salesperson. I am in same position as u with what I can Safely tow. Was sold a passport which was 15 lbs from my max towing weight unloaded and was told I would be fine. I didn't take it home.
Be safe not sorry.

flybouy
07-26-2020, 11:01 AM
Many years ago we were camping and passes an RV dealer close to cg. One rainy day we divided to "window" shop. Salesman asked what we were towing with. I told him a Dodge Durango RT that was rated for 7,500 lb max towing so I wouldn't consider anything over 6k empty. I didn't get into tongue weight as I thought limiting gross weight would be a start.

The salesman immediately took us to a 30' wood framed trailer that weighed nearly 10k. When I pointed out the obvious discrepancy he said "you have the RT so you can pull it no problem!. On our way out I found the GM and told him how ill-informed or ill- intended the salesman was and for that reason would not be back. I don't think the GM was either surprised nor concerned.

JRTJH
07-26-2020, 11:27 AM

On our way out I found the GM and told him how ill-informed or ill- intended the salesman was and for that reason would not be back. I don't think the GM was either surprised nor concerned.

That's been my experience as well... Keystone has a "disclaimer" on the bottom of every brochure that says something like: It is the customer's responsibility to assure that the recreational vehicle they purchase is a match for their intended tow vehicle. Keystone and THOR are not responsible for unsafe or mis-matched towing combinations....

Every dealership around this area requires the purchaser to sign a statement that the tow vehicle they intend to use is adequate for the trailer they are purchasing and that the dealership bears NO responsibility for towing any trailer with an undersized or mis-matched tow vehicle.

They cover their butts and leave the customer "hanging in the wind" should anything happen.... Additionally, it takes some "mighty deep pockets" to sue THOR. Their full time legal staff likely costs them more annually than most RV'ers will earn in a lifetime......

precab
07-26-2020, 12:22 PM

If you're still negotiating and we caught you in time check which tires are on the trailer. Trailer King tires are google'able and literally are china bombs. They need to be replaced for safety pretty quickly. That should be negotiable to put something better on to close the deal.

Other than that I was very pleased with my Passport trailer experience. Two years old now used 1-2 a month.

rakearns1
07-26-2020, 01:49 PM
This is kind of late. I am pretty sure those numbers are for sea level flat road service. I worked at a Ford dealership many years ago. The sales rep were supposed to tell their customers that they should take 20% off the load numbers. There is a big difference between pulling a trailer in AZ compared to the Rocky Mountains.

linux3
07-26-2020, 05:25 PM
Even later reply.
Search the Tow Vehicles section for my posts.
I HAD a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with the twin turbo 3.5L V6. 365 HP and gobs of torque.
It was rated to pull 5K lbs. I forget the load rating.

That Explorer pulled my much lighter trailer with ease. Up hill, down hill no problem.
However, like the Highlander it doesn't have a frame.
Like the Highlander it had tires and suspension designed to give a comfy, smooth ride.

I got to where I'd wake up in the middle of the night worrying about the next day's trip.
It's just not safe. Trucks would pass me and the insufficient suspension would wiggle and waggle. Bumps in the road made the front end lose it.

Bought the TT in August 2016 and made a few short trips.
2017 I had a Chevy Silverado 1500 with the trailer package and we started doing 3 or 4, 2 or 3 week trips a summer.
Now I have a 2020 Silverado 1500 and it's even better (Just because of fancy stuff, LT to LTZ trim).
Point is my 3700 LB 195RB was too much for a SUV.

I don't think you will be happy with your Highlander.

wiredgeorge
07-27-2020, 03:09 PM
Perhaps the weight police can stop patrolling... poor OP hasn't been on the site since the 22nd. And I was about to suggest he loose a few pounds, have his family ride in a different vehicle, install one of those fancy hitches and add some airbags to his little Toyota truck. I imagine a visit here was like being doused in cold water but it sounded like he had not yet put money down so probably for the best.

sourdough
07-27-2020, 04:02 PM
The OP seemed like he was genuinely interested in what to do and how to figure numbers. I figure the information he gathered was enough to change directions. As far as weight police, and obviously I'm not one......"we never sleep"; if I recall Horatio Caine correctly...:lol: