PDA

View Full Version : "stacking" transfer switches

chuckster57
07-19-2020, 12:57 PM
Customer has a TH that has a 30A shore connection on the rear DS and an on board gen. He cant plug in to his house when parked and wants to add another 30A shore connection on the PS rear. I know you dont want to (cant) add the second connection as that would expose a shock risk to the other side. My queston:

Can I install a transfer switch BEFORE the factory transfer switch and use Shore 1 as "shore" and shore 2 as "gen" input? that would eliminate both shore outlets being live...I think, thats why I am asking here. Im NOT an electrical guru and dont know all the ins/outs of transfer switches. Thanks for any information.

sourdough
07-19-2020, 01:24 PM
I am not an electrician either but seems if you used the first xfer for the 2 incoming shore sources then it fed the 2nd xfer switch it would work...unless it violates some NEC rule. An electrician would have to elaborate on that. Does seem like a lot of work, future problems and maintenance that a longer cable could solve?

chuckster57
07-19-2020, 01:39 PM
You have heard the expression, more money than sense? well I am more than happy to take some of his $$ if he's going to throw it away. His sister is buying a TH and wants Ground Control TT installed...

LewisB
12-26-2020, 09:25 AM
Yes, you could use a transfer switch to control input from two different shore power plug locations - the downstream power system won't know the difference. However, as Danny pointed out, seems like buying a 10' longer shore power cable would be a lot more cost effective with less future maintenance.

chuckster57
12-26-2020, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the answers, I figured it could be done. I quit that dealership due to poor management and its all a moot point now.