PDA

View Full Version : AC

huronbay
07-17-2020, 12:02 PM
My wife tried to run the 30 amp air conditioner in our trailer plugged into 20 amp standard house receptacle. It ran for about 30 min. before I caught it and turned it off. I was wondering if it did any damage. Any idea?

Roscommon48
07-17-2020, 12:34 PM
no. life goes on. with refrig on gas, no microwave and maybe no ele. w/h you can do it.
check the plug in end to see if there is any melting however.

Frank G
07-17-2020, 01:02 PM
For a few bucks you can get a power monitor with auto shut-off that will protect your trailer from almost every conceivable electrical abnormality except a direct lightning hit. The link below is just one, and there are versions that are permanently installed in your unit. They come in either 30 or 50 amp versions.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo/

travelin texans
07-17-2020, 02:24 PM
There are several brands of surge protector/EMS systems, be sure it's an EMS not just surge protector, either portable or hardwired, choose the one you want & use it EVERY time you connect to shore power.

wiredgeorge
07-17-2020, 02:46 PM
Don't know where Aura is or if there are electrical codes enforced there. I suggest if you can wire a real 30A outlet to where you can connect your camper without fuss, you should do so. I have two of these located on different areas of my property I did myself. Always make sure this type install is to code as a fire could result in the blame being placed on you if they are not installed correctly to code. If you do have codes and aren't up to it, have a pro do it. If you are serious about staying in the camping game, perhaps pay an electrician.

As noted, get an EMS. I have a Progressive that my camper is hooked through while on the property. There are other makers but get an ELECTRICAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM and not a surge protector. I am not sure if an EMS would really work well on 20A power but I am sure someone can chime in that has tried it.

Northofu1
07-17-2020, 03:16 PM
When I had my Bullet Premier I ran the 13k a/c unit on a 15 amp receptacle, no problem, as long as I ran nothing else other than a couple of lights to work by.
The new 5er has a 15 k a/c and it pulls 16 amps, will kick off within a few minutes.

Customer1
07-17-2020, 04:20 PM
My wife tried to run the 30 amp air conditioner in our trailer plugged into 20 amp standard house receptacle. It ran for about 30 min. before I caught it and turned it off. I was wondering if it did any damage. Any idea?

No worries, run away. The worst thing that will happen is the 20a breaker trips.

JRTJH
07-17-2020, 04:47 PM
No worries, run away. The worst thing that will happen is the 20a breaker trips.

Or you can have a significant voltage drop and burn up the compressor in the A/C...