PDA

View Full Version : Key tv

Keystone half ton
07-15-2020, 06:00 PM
My new 2020 Montana will not pick up any channels it has the winegard 360 antenna and the key tv it I checked all of the connections and they are tight I can’t figure it out any help thanks

Mmeyer
07-15-2020, 06:17 PM
Has you antenna worked in the past? Is the blue led light on at the key tv modul? Are you in air when doing a channel scan. Are the cables hooked up correctly at the wall panel?

Keystone half ton
07-15-2020, 06:26 PM
Blue light is on connections are right yes on the air when searching just got the camper 7-3-20

Keystone half ton
07-15-2020, 06:29 PM
The tv’s was working when they went over everything with us at the dealership

Mmeyer
07-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Are u in a wooded area where the antenna can’t get a good signal? Mine key tv module is burnt up on mine, I have done a lot of reading and the are junk sorry I couldn’t help you out.

Mmeyer
07-15-2020, 06:41 PM
See if you can message chuckster57 he is very knowledgeable.

chuckster57
07-15-2020, 06:48 PM
See if you can message chuckster57 he is very knowledgeable.
Just saw this, thanks for the vote of confidence. If the TV worked at time of delivery and it isn’t now, odds are the KeyTV module went on a separate vacation.

It sounds like you have the TV set to OTA, and have scanned for channels, contact your dealer for a replacement under warranty.

Keystone half ton
07-16-2020, 02:36 AM
Thanks I will get in contact with them

Jnich17
07-16-2020, 04:41 AM
Just for your future info, I have a 2019 Avalanche 375 RD and didn't come with KeyTv. Why, I don't know.It was a standard feature in 2019 and above Keystones. I run a Dish Tailgater and Wally satellite system. There are so many splitters in system the sat will not feed through them. I had to run individual RG6 coax to each tv location in order to recieve satellite.That is a job in itself trying to hide all cables. I added 2 more connections in connection station compartment and now it works great.

Zoopster
07-16-2020, 07:52 AM
Have you checked where the nearest broadcast towers are located to where you are camped. I have found that if >35 miles away or if you are surrounded by mountains while boondocking you will get no signal.

Have you checked your reception when at home and close to broadcast towers?

Try using the TV Signal Finder app on your phone. It works pretty good and shows you location and distance from your spot for the broadcast towers. Good luck

JRTJH
07-16-2020, 08:38 AM
One very important step in obtaining OTA TV signal is that you must do a "channel scan" at every stop. Even if moving from one location in a metropolitan area to another (from one side of town to the opposite side) the TV antenna "signal strength" will differ and the TV tuner will not obtain the best broadcast signal.

So, if you didn't do a "TV setup/signal scan" then you may not be getting any "TV picture/audio" just because the TV isn't "seeing any signal".

The KEYTV system may be "working perfectly" and there's not a thing wrong with your RV systems, rather it's "operator error".... Do a TV Channel Scan and see if that helps with the problem...

skids
07-17-2020, 06:19 AM
So, after finding the KeyTV module with the blue light, I figured While camping, I would do a channel scan for RF/air. The Next door camper found 4 or 5 channels. Mine found none. I opened up the cover and there was a black coax cable for the antenna, and an ivory coax for TV2, and other colors for other TVs, but there was NO coax hooked to TV1, nor was there one for the radio. TV1 is supposed to be white. The TV in the main room had an ivory colored coax hooking it into ceiling jack. I realize that the color code using a short coax from TV to jack may not have followed protocol. Why was there no white coax hooked to the module? Do you think there is a splitter from the antenna where one leg goes to the TV1 jack and the other leg (black) goes to the KeyTV module?

ChuckS
07-17-2020, 08:19 AM
There should be NO splitter in any of the feeds to each TV set. Attached is from KeyTV document. TV1 feeds directly to wall plate for main TV

You can easily trace signal with a multi meter on the cable for main TV set

flybouy
07-17-2020, 08:49 AM
So, after finding the KeyTV module with the blue light, I figured While camping, I would do a channel scan for RF/air. The Next door camper found 4 or 5 channels. Mine found none. I opened up the cover and there was a black coax cable for the antenna, and an ivory coax for TV2, and other colors for other TVs, but there was NO coax hooked to TV1, nor was there one for the radio. TV1 is supposed to be white. The TV in the main room had an ivory colored coax hooking it into ceiling jack. I realize that the color code using a short coax from TV to jack may not have followed protocol. Why was there no white coax hooked to the module? Do you think there is a splitter from the antenna where one leg goes to the TV1 jack and the other leg (black) goes to the KeyTV module?

Referring to the what I bolded, This could easily be the difference of 2 different televisions or even the distance between the 2 trailers where your signal is blocked and his isn't. Not saying that you may bot have an issue but with digital signals if the signal is not strong then the slightest obstacle can block it.

When I upgraded the main TV in our camper I ordered it online. When it arrived I threw it in the camper to install it when at the cg. The OEM (can't remember the brand but it was some piece of junk) received about 6 channels. Installed new Samsung, same cable, antenna, etc. Turned it on, scanned and it received about 18 channels.

copperhand
07-17-2020, 12:10 PM
The Wingard 360 isn't that good in my opinion. If you are farther than 40 miles from a TV station antenna then you are most likely not going to get that signal. Bought my latest camper new about a month ago and during the walk through inspection we got several channels at the dealers location in town. I set it up at my cabin in the country and I get zero stations. Used the tv tower app and nearest station is 48 miles away. Called Wingard and they said the Omni 360 is only good for 50 miles. My older style hand raised antenna got at least 6 channels sitting in the same spot. I just rely on Direct TV. I will say this I have had zero issues with the Key TV using my Direct TV satellite. My older system with the booster button wouldn't work with satellite had to run individual cables dedicated to satellite only.

Pickles
07-23-2020, 07:33 AM
Had same thing got to watch for short time the dealer said to many splinters causing the signal to fade in and out so they ran a separate cable and wall plates just for the playmaker works great know

Pickles
07-23-2020, 07:34 AM
Had same problem the dealer found out that the system has to manyspliters they ran a new cable and new plates just for our play maker we did at one time get tv before just for a short time they said the strength was getting lost between splinters

wiredgeorge
07-23-2020, 07:52 AM
Don't guess. First thing to do is to get a reasonable idea if there are television transmitters you can pick up from your location. Download from the Apps Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ar.com.lichtmaier.antenas&hl=en_US

About the farthest I can pick up using my King Jack DIRECTIONAL antenna is about 35-40 miles away. I point my antenna at the bulk of transmitting antennas and then do a scan each time I set up. You will also find that some stations change transmitting technical details and if lost, can only be picked up through a new scan. Once set up, I only scan if I lose a station that had been there previously. If you download this app and find there are stations you should be receiving, then look elsewhere in your TV connection, scanning, and the KeyTV junk.

Apalinto
07-23-2020, 08:05 AM
Copperhand, you mentioned you are using DirectTV. Do you connect you DTV antenna (dish) to the KeyTV module? I ask because I have a King Quest carry out antenna but as I understand it, you can only watch on one TV if you connect to KeyTV. That includes having a tuner box at each TV. My dish has 2 outputs but the KeyTV, only has one SAT input.

Diney 49
07-23-2020, 08:43 AM
I had the same problem trying to connect with our cable supplier. We had to disconnect all of the leads from the key system and reconnect to a four way splitter in order to use the cable. I ran new coax to operate the TVs off the key system. I have spoken to both direct tv and dish, they said the only way was to go the splitter route. It takes a little time but it is worth the effort.

tom0329
07-23-2020, 09:01 AM
My new 2020 Montana will not pick up any channels it has the winegard 360 antenna and the key tv it I checked all of the connections and they are tight I can’t figure it out any help thanks

I have the same antenna. On our walk through we had a great picture and 40 channels. When we got to the campground we had zilch. So i started wiggling the coax and every signal one was loss. I tightened them up and got the great picture back.

Myersjos
07-23-2020, 09:05 AM
Had same issues on 2019 raptor. Worked day of delivery first trip out nothing tried several different times still nothing dealer checked it said nothing wrong back in march somewhere in nc on i95 my antenna blew off barely missing my buddy behind me so dealer installed new one now I can pick up channels in same places I couldn't before so my guess is antenna was faulty not sure

Steve1011
07-23-2020, 10:00 AM
Apalinto, I have King Quest and Directv also, I connected the satellite main to my Keytv module for one tv. On the second dish connector I had to run the cable thru my slideout and connect directly to my second tv to get both tv's receiving the satellite.

Lmgsnyder
07-23-2020, 12:10 PM
I have a 2019 Avalanche 321RS. TV seemed to work just fine until went on trip in February. hooked up my dish TV satellite. worked good but wanted to go to Daytona raceway cable. wouldn't work. ran it straight to tv thru window. then it worked. went back to antenna on the way home. no channels at all. watched a movie and suddenly it worked again. has been intermittent since then. in same camping spot sometimes it will find channels sometimes absolutely nothing. Have checked all connections numerous times. all seem tight. Been told the "splitter" -thing that makes the keyTV special- might be bad. haven't gotten one yet to try it. So if you figure out what is wrong let me know! Tired of no/occasional TV in a trailer I paid alot of money for!!

Apalinto
07-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Thanks for that info Steve1011. Curious, when you plugged you dish into the KeyTV, did you watch DirectTV on the min TV in the living room?

Steve1011
07-23-2020, 03:56 PM
Apalinto, Keytv to bedroom tv, I put the little power box behind the tv. Second cable from satellite thru slide seal to living room tv, shorter run and easy thru seal. My cable is visible looping around the slide trim. An option is to insert a cable into the slide wiring harness.
I also have a 2019 315RLS.

Apalinto
07-23-2020, 04:46 PM
Excellent Steve 1011! Thanks for the tips! Since we have the same rig, it is easy to understand your solution. Have a great summer! We just got back from Paso Robles last week and will be heading out to El Capitan next month. Going to give our dish a try!