PDA

View Full Version : Pickup truck tool box

albertr
10-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Trying to decide between buying a plastic or metal across the box tool box. Any suggestions? Thanks Al

Ron
10-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Hello Al: Are you pulling a 5ver or a bumper pull. If its a 5ver i have a tool box that has a slide lid that only sits approx 2" above my side rails so if i jacknife the 5ver or goosneck horse trailer there is plenty of clearance, if its a bumper pull then it won't make any difference. Back to your original question I would recomment a metal/aluminum one, I have seen to may plastic one deform after a while, lid not shutting properly etc. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway. Hope this helps. Happy Campin............Ron

hankpage
10-29-2011, 08:57 AM
I've had Plastic when towing a TT .... never liked it, but it's still behind the shed after twenty years and still keeps stuff dry. If I where to get a new one , it would be aluminum in bed/under the rail. Steep driveways and rutted roads can eat up rail clearance fast. JM2¢, Hank

JRTJH
10-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I've had Plastic when towing a TT .... never liked it, but it's still behind the shed after twenty years and still keeps stuff dry. If I where to get a new one , it would be aluminum in bed/under the rail. Steep driveways and rutted roads can eat up rail clearance fast. JM2¢, Hank

Since you mentioned backing in at an angle uphill or downhill. We tore the weatherstripping on our trifold tonneau cover that way, It took me the longest time trying to figure out what happened (didn't see it for a couple of weeks) Anyway, the cover only sits about 3" above the bed rail, folds in thirds and I didn't think anything of it being there, but the front corner of the fifthwheel catches it with most any angle uphill backing. I'd hate to think what an above the rail tool box would do to the front of the trailer or what the trailer would do to the box. Neither, I think would be cheap to fix. <sigh>

captbru
10-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I use a metal tool box that sits even or used below the truck box. Two problems with the sit ontop box even if low profile, the fifth may hit thebox at some point in time. Also with the above the rail ones they block the view of the hitch.

Jay D
10-29-2011, 04:02 PM
I found a nice one at tractor supply. Sits on the rails and is 1/2 as thick as a reg box. Pretty cheap, it was around $100. Works out well for me, but I don't have 5th wheel. Jay

antiqfreq
10-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Our metal tool box fits even with our bed and we keep our two generators in it fulltime.

No problems ever.

Jo

cumminsdad08
10-30-2011, 11:55 AM
never had luck with plastic one's. always deformed and looked goofy. metals ones seemed to work the best, but i always cramed to much in them and never locked right and leaked some. i have since given up on them, with the understanding that; "the more room you have, the more stuff you have to get to fill it." i do miss it sometimes, but i have a quad cab,because of the kids, and it has a bunch of storage under the seats and i can usually pile a bunch of stuff under the feet, for now anyway. i am sure i will change my mind in a few years, i am a "guy" after all:rofl:

Ron
10-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Here is the tool box I use, I can jacknife any trailer or go down in a severe dip without even comming close to the box. The lid slides either direction so still can be open with trailer over the top of it. As you can see it is only 2 1/4" hi, it is a Truck Trunk brand as stated in the pics and they also come in several different depths works great for me, Hope this helps. Happy Campin............Ron

TAScarbee
10-30-2011, 04:17 PM
I like my aluminum box, it sits down in the bed, safe and out of the way. Easy to remove and store when it isn't needed.

hankaye
10-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Ron, Howdy;

Like that except, ... it ain't deep enough.
I'm savin' up for on of the ones that sits on the floor of the be yet dosn't go over the bed sides... something like this;

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Daws-Truck-Tool-Box/_/N-963dw?itemIdentifier=688441&_requestid=9744

I'm not connected with AZ in any way shape or function...

hankaye

Ron
10-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi Hankaye: As in my previous post, they do make them deeper. My thought when buying the box that I do have is that if I needed to haul something that required the full 8' bed I could slide it under, but sometimes I wish it were deeper like what you like. Kinda retired the ol Ford, just us it for a backup when the big rig breaks down or the weather is bad so the tool box doesn't get much use anymore. Happy Campin................Ron