PDA

View Full Version : Joining the party from Baltimore

KilroyRock
07-15-2020, 06:22 AM
Hi Everyone, I'm looking to pick up a 2018 Passport 175BH this weekend, so I've been prepping as much as possible for my first camper. Life long tenter and now with two young kids, and all the zippers corroded shut on the tent, and a poor old dog who hates the heat, we're getting a trailer!

I will say it's been hard to find definitive information about the trailers, for any past models, so any help with understanding the options I should be getting, and things I should know is going to be really helpful.

Can't wait to get on the road, and looking forward to interacting with everyone!

chuckster57
07-15-2020, 07:50 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Pretty much all RVs use the same components so you won’t find any manuals specific to your year/model. Whoever you buy from, make them SHOW you everything works. There is a PDI worksheet on the forum, maybe print it out so you won’t have any suprises after you take possession. Your best owners manual is this website as there is lots of good information and loads of great people here.

notanlines
07-15-2020, 07:52 AM
First, welcome to the forum! And I'll bet the vast number of regular members here will agree when I suggest that you, Momma, and the two rug rats spend your first week-end right in your driveway. It will still be fun for the kids, and you'll be 100% more familiar with the systems.
Good luck to you.

flybouy
07-15-2020, 07:56 AM
Welcome from "outside of Bawlmer, Murlun!".:)

Gobirds38
07-15-2020, 07:56 AM
Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

KilroyRock
07-15-2020, 08:10 AM
First, welcome to the forum! And I'll bet the vast number of regular members here will agree when I suggest that you, Momma, and the two rug rats spend your first week-end right in your driveway. It will still be fun for the kids, and you'll be 100% more familiar with the systems.
Good luck to you.

That's a great idea - how do you handle hooking up your RV to your house? These require 30A, but my outsides are GFCI 15A. I'm nervous burning something out.

flybouy
07-15-2020, 08:37 AM
That's a great idea - how do you handle hooking up your RV to your house? These require 30A, but my outsides are GFCI 15A. I'm nervous burning something out.

You can use an adapter to plug it into a 15 amp outlet but you cannot run the air conditioner on it. Way to hot around here for no air conditioning. . If you are going to keep it a home then invest in having a 30 amp rv receptacle installed.

wiredgeorge
07-15-2020, 09:29 AM
Spend a few bucks and have an electrician pull a line to an outside 30A outlet. Since you live in the big city, there may be code things I am not familiar with but I do this stuff myself out in the middle of code-less Texas. If you do it yourself you best know how to do these things to conform to electrical code as in the case of a fire, the insurance will want to use any non-code compliant hook ups as an excuse to get out of paying. You can always run a hose to your city water inlet (make sure it is a drinking water hose) and buy a macerator and run it to your sewer clean out. You could then live in your camper or use it for guests, if needed.

Gary R.
07-15-2020, 10:07 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I will second the great idea of spending a night or two in your driveway.

Have fun and stay safe!

KilroyRock
07-16-2020, 11:43 AM
I guess this will let me try out this 3500 inverter generator i got to give me AC in the night, because yeah. It's HOT here right now.

Northofu1
07-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Congrats and welcome from Ontario

Gegrad
07-16-2020, 04:47 PM
Welcome from Pennsylvania.... and yes, get a dedicated 30A wire run to an outside outlet on your house to plug into. I have done it twice at two houses now and don't regret it at all...

travelin texans
07-16-2020, 06:48 PM
If you go the expense of adding a rv plug install the 50-30-20 amp box then you'll be prepared for the next rv upgrade that may be 50 amp.
For now fire up the genny & enjoy the driveway campsite for a few nights playing with all the gadgets.

fritzlomar
07-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the RV lifestyle. I live on the eastern shore myself, and was a tent and pop up guy. You’ll love the travel trailer and you’ll find yourself camping a ton now. Enjoy!

KilroyRock
07-29-2020, 07:10 AM
Well, we are back from our first trip! Headed out to Lancaster for the weekend to watch the farmers work. Really pretty place.

Right out the gate though, an old cable line from a former 2nd floor apt (converted) from the pole to my house caught the back vent cover and ripped a hole in that before getting out of the driveway. Good news, 4" metal AC tape holds up well! I also have never cut a line so happily in my life!

Then we thought we were so cool, biking and skating around the park, my poor wife slipped and fell, spraining her elbow, making clean up fun on Sunday!

Barring those adventures, we had a great time and couldn't be happier to have joined the Keystone family.

flybouy
07-29-2020, 07:46 AM
Well, we are back from our first trip! Headed out to Lancaster for the weekend to watch the farmers work. Really pretty place.

Right out the gate though, an old cable line from a former 2nd floor apt (converted) from the pole to my house caught the back vent cover and ripped a hole in that before getting out of the driveway. Good news, 4" metal AC tape holds up well! I also have never cut a line so happily in my life!

Then we thought we were so cool, biking and skating around the park, my poor wife slipped and fell, spraining her elbow, making clean up fun on Sunday!

Barring those adventures, we had a great time and couldn't be happier to have joined the Keystone family.

Where did you stay? We camp around there a lot. Going to Country Acres in about 2 weeks. If you want to IM me I can give you several recommendations around that area. Hope your DW is doing better.

KilroyRock
07-29-2020, 07:56 AM
we just did the KOA there. They said it's been under new membership and is being run better. I thought the grounds were well kept, and the bakery across the road had incredible donuts

flybouy
07-29-2020, 08:49 AM
we just did the KOA there. They said it's been under new membership and is being run better. I thought the grounds were well kept, and the bakery across the road had incredible donuts

Didn't know KOA bought them if it's the place I'm thinking about. Used to have a sign out front proclaiming "The quiet campground" it was quiet because they were intolerable for ANYTHING. Worst attitude I've ever seen. We would pass that on our way to Spring Gulch (https://springgulch.com/) before they sold out to Thousand Trails. Spring Gulch was what we called the "Gucci" campground as they used to offer massages, yoga, had 2 swimming pools, etc.i