PDA

View Full Version : Does a "solar ready" RV already have a solar charge controller installed?

Tony E
07-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Hello everyone. I have a 2018 passport 239 ML that is "solar ready." I saw on the videos that you can just plug in a solar panel and it will work. I bought a new solar panel but the plug on the RV will not work for connecting my solar panel as it has MC4 connectors on it. I crawled underneath and can see where the wires go from the existing plug to plug in a solar panel but ideally I would like to install MC4 connectors on the same wires that are underneath the trailer. My question is: A solar panel has to have a charge controller hooked up to it. Is there one already installed in the RV as it is suppose to be solar ready or do I have to install a charge controller also? Thanks for your help:)

chuckster57
07-12-2020, 01:00 PM
The plug on the side is directly wired to the batteries. It should have a label that says 10W Max. Most portable (suitcase) solar panels have a built in controller. There are adapters depending on which brand of panel and what brand of plug. Make sure to check polarity.

Tony E
07-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Thanks Chuckster. I am attempting to attach a 310 watt solar panel. I had a controller on it already with clips and I went straight to the battery but the other way looked simpler to just plug in the panel if there was an adequate charge controller on it. I guess I will just have to stay with my original system. Thanks again.

meaz93*
07-12-2020, 01:57 PM
My 2018 Outback has a "Solar Ready" plug outlet on the front side of the coach....but it doesn't come from the factory with a controller in the trailer. I have a Zamp 45w portable unit with a built in controller[emoji106]
It works great in the AZ summer keeping my rig battery charged when not in use.
Again make sure the wire coming from the plug area by the battery box is actually connected to the battery.

Tony E
07-12-2020, 02:00 PM
Thanks Meaz , that helps and lets me know that I do need a charge controller.