PDA

View Full Version : Help with completely new setup

BigToe
07-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Hey guys, new here and was sent here by Notanlines from another forum. Little background first. Camped for 32 years but always bunked with my dad in his camper. Unfortunately he passed last fall so I am now in the market to get my own tv and camper. Never owned anything larger than 1/2 ton. Never had or pulled a fifth wheel but that is what I would prefer moving forward. I would only make longer trips 1-2 times a year which would consist of going from okla to Colorado or North Carolina. Other trips would be at most 100 miles for weekend trips here and there. So here’s my questions and any help is greatly appreciated.

Truck will be daily driver which on normal days will be no more than 5 miles a day. For this reason I was suggested to not get a diesel as they aren’t nice for short commutes. Is this true?

Don’t have a exact camper in mind but the more options available to me the better. Currently looking at this one. https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers-and-fifth-wheels/rockwood-ultra-lite/2898KS/4392 Being 11k maxed weight I was told is getting into 1 ton territory due to payload. I don’t have any plans to go more than 12-14k max weight and would prefer the rig above weight.

Truck I was looking at is a Chevy (I’m a Chevy guy) 2020 2500 gasser with 10,650 GVWR, 24000 GCVWR, 6600 rear axle rating, 3400 payload, 2490 max tongue weight. Is this at or over the 3/4 limits?

I have also looked at a 1 ton gasser 11350 GVWR, 24000 GCVWR, 7250 rear axle rating, 3913 payload, 2460 max tongue weight.

Max weight of passengers will be around 750 lbs, add in hitch, toolbox with tools and I’m prolly around 1k added weight

With either of these vehicles what max weight fifth wheel should I be looking for. I’ve been told to take 25 percent of GVW of camper for pin weight however how does that work with max tongue weight rating on truck. Going by that logic a 1 ton truck can’t pull a 10k trailer and the 3/4 ton actually gives me more tongue weight but less payload.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Northofu1
07-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Hey guys, new here and was sent here by Notanlines from another forum
We won't hold that against you. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.
I own the 2019 version of your truck, 9500 lbs GVWR. Payload is a little less than yours. My trailer is 10000 lbs GVWR. I personally would not tow anything more than that. I like the buffer I have. Took it to the cat scales Friday night loaded for camping and was very happy with what I saw.
I would think that a 3500 should take care of what you want weight wise, but if I had to go through mountainous areas I would opt for the diesel.
Someone with a lot more experience than I will be along soon, you came at nap time. :lol:
Again welcome and good luck.

Logan X
07-12-2020, 10:44 AM
Just my humble opinion, but with any fifth wheel, I think you are way better off going with a 1ton truck. 3/4 ton trucks are almost always limited by their payload capacity. The payload capacity is what you need in order to handle the heavy pin weight or “tongue weight” of a fifth wheel.

Either diesel or gas, if you want to tow a fifth wheel, get a 1 ton truck.

flybouy
07-12-2020, 10:55 AM
Agree with the get a 1 ton but have a question. If you are only looking at 5 th wheels why are you concerned about tongue weight? Tongue weight is what a travel trailer applies to a hitch under the bumper of the truck. A fifth wheel applies pin weight to a fifth wheel hitch bolted in the bed of the truck.

BigToe
07-12-2020, 11:07 AM
I was going by what shows on the towing label. It says conventional trailering tongue weight is 1450 but fifth wheel max tongue weight is 2490. I had just assumed it meant pin weight.

flybouy
07-12-2020, 11:19 AM
I was going by what shows on the towing label. It says conventional trailering tongue weight is 1450 but fifth wheel max tongue weight is 2490. I had just assumed it meant pin weight.

Don't know what "towing label" you were looking at but it should have said " fifth wheel max hitch weight is 2490". Not arguing semantics but if you start mixing tongue weight with fifth wheel pin weights you'll just get answers based on confusion.

chuckster57
07-12-2020, 11:19 AM
Just to throw it out there- a 1 ton DRW isn’t that hard to park and it would be the ONLY truck you would have to buy.

Gegrad
07-12-2020, 11:32 AM
If you strongly prefer that 11k GVWR 5er you linked, @20% tongue weight you would have 2200 lbs pin. The 2020 Chevy you mentioned with a 3400 lb payload would leave you with 1200 lbs more payload. So with your 1k additional payload you mentioned, you would likely be close. I would probs go for the 1 ton gasser. One of our site team just got a new Ram 1 ton gasser and he has around 3900 payload and tows a 13-14k 5er. That should work.

BigToe
07-12-2020, 11:36 AM
Don't know what "towing label" you were looking at but it should have said " fifth wheel max hitch weight is 2490". Not arguing semantics but if you start mixing tongue weight with fifth wheel pin weights you'll just get answers based on confusion.
Flybuoy, the new chevys have a towing label on them and that is the exact terminology that they use.

BigToe
07-12-2020, 11:45 AM
If you strongly prefer that 11k GVWR 5er you linked, @20% tongue weight you would have 2200 lbs pin. The 2020 Chevy you mentioned with a 3400 lb payload would leave you with 1200 lbs more payload. So with your 1k additional payload you mentioned, you would likely be close. I would probs go for the 1 ton gasser. One of our site team just got a new Ram 1 ton gasser and he has around 3900 payload and tows a 13-14k 5er. That should work.
Thanks Gegrad, I also posted specs of a one ton gasser with 3913 payload. You think I would be safe with a 13k max fifth wheel with this one ton with occasional Colorado trips? This would exceed max pin weight noted by the truck. How big a issue is that?

flybouy
07-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Flybuoy, the new chevys have a towing label on them and that is the exact terminology that they use.

Thanks for that picture. But the conventional terminology is what I'm getting at. Just trying to avoid confusion. Some of us are just naturally confused.:lol:

notanlines
07-12-2020, 12:14 PM
"Hey guys, new here and was sent here by Notanlines from another forum
We won't hold that against you."
Just like Rodney Dangerfield, I get no respect!

sourdough
07-12-2020, 12:50 PM
OP I'm the guy with the new Ram 3500 and 5th wheel. The truck payload is 3990 give a pound or 2 (can't remember exactly). I had wanted at least 4k but....

The trailer is the one in my sig and the gvw is 14,400 if I recall. I carry about 1200 lbs. of gear in the trailer. It has not been scaled yet but if the dry weight of 11,4xx is correct I should be under 13k loaded. At 20% pin weight I should not be over 2600 (guestimation) which doesn't leave a lot IMO. It's one of the reasons I bought an Andersen hitch. Time will tell but to your questions;

A 1 ton gas truck can possibly tow a 14k trailer but I don't intend to find out. Right now mine does fine across the southern states; much like my 3/4 did with a smaller trailer. It worked fine in the mountains and I'm sure this one will too - it's not a big strain. The trailer you linked would be just fine behind a truck like this.

Diesel vs gas is always a conversation and folks have their "druthers". If you intend to primarily travel in the mountains with lots of steep inclines you might want to consider the diesel. With a trailer that size and a truck equipped like mine I wouldn't worry about it. I did have to search high and low for this specific drive train. If I had a lower (numerically) rear ratio my opinion would be entirely different. I will echo a previous sentiment; if you're going to get a 5th wheel just get the 1 ton - you'll need it sooner or later.

BigToe
07-12-2020, 01:11 PM
OP I'm the guy with the new Ram 3500 and 5th wheel. The truck payload is 3990 give a pound or 2 (can't remember exactly). I had wanted at least 4k but....

The trailer is the one in my sig and the gvw is 14,400 if I recall. I carry about 1200 lbs. of gear in the trailer. It has not been scaled yet but if the dry weight of 11,4xx is correct I should be under 13k loaded. At 20% pin weight I should not be over 2600 (guestimation) which doesn't leave a lot IMO. It's one of the reasons I bought an Andersen hitch. Time will tell but to your questions;

A 1 ton gas truck can possibly tow a 14k trailer but I don't intend to find out. Right now mine does fine across the southern states; much like my 3/4 did with a smaller trailer. It worked fine in the mountains and I'm sure this one will too - it's not a big strain. The trailer you linked would be just fine behind a truck like this.

Diesel vs gas is always a conversation and folks have their "druthers". If you intend to primarily travel in the mountains with lots of steep inclines you might want to consider the diesel. With a trailer that size and a truck equipped like mine I wouldn't worry about it. I did have to search high and low for this specific drive train. If I had a lower (numerically) rear ratio my opinion would be entirely different. I will echo a previous sentiment; if you're going to get a 5th wheel just get the 1 ton - you'll need it sooner or later.
Thanks sourdough. I’m pretty much set on the 1 ton now even though I really have no idea what camper I will get but it gives me more options. Any idea about the claims of short commutes with diesel? Like i said most of the time I’ll just be going back and forth to work. Maybe one trip a year to Colorado. I’m leaning towards gas just to avoid any emission stuff but right now I’ve not purchased anything so I’m open to a lot of options.

I have no clue if Forest River campers are even any good but guess that’s a completely different discussion.

By the way the rear end in the new Chevy gassers are 3.73.

chuckster57
07-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Any new vehicle gas or diesel will have emissions equipment, the diesel has the added cost of def. I have heard but no documentation that the Ford 6.7 hates NOT being under load. Short drives that don’t allow things to reach operating temp aren’t good for any engine. I suspect the gasser is more tolerant though.

Gegrad
07-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Thanks sourdough. I’m pretty much set on the 1 ton now even though I really have no idea what camper I will get but it gives me more options. Any idea about the claims of short commutes with diesel? Like i said most of the time I’ll just be going back and forth to work. Maybe one trip a year to Colorado. I’m leaning towards gas just to avoid any emission stuff but right now I’ve not purchased anything so I’m open to a lot of options.

I have no clue if Forest River campers are even any good but guess that’s a completely different discussion.

Smart to stick with the one ton truck since you are not sure what you want quite yet. I would expect you should be able to get a 4:10 rear in a one ton, right? That would be shocking if you couldn't. You might have to search for it, I know it took Danny a long time to find one. I also would not want to tow a 14k+ trailer with the gasser. If you do decide to go that large, you might reconsider a diesel truck at that point, but the gasser should work perfectly fine with an 11-12k 5er. You will have to let us know how that new 6.6L Chevy gas engine runs as well. Heard good things, but haven't driven one.

BigToe
07-12-2020, 01:30 PM
Smart to stick with the one ton truck since you are not sure what you want quite yet. I would expect you should be able to get a 4:10 rear in a one ton, right? That would be shocking if you couldn't. You might have to search for it, I know it took Danny a long time to find one. I also would not want to tow a 14k+ trailer with the gasser. If you do decide to go that large, you might reconsider a diesel truck at that point, but the gasser should work perfectly fine with an 11-12k 5er. You will have to let us know how that new 6.6L Chevy gas engine runs as well. Heard good things, but haven't driven one.
Unfortunately the new Chevy gasser 6.6 only comes with the 3.73 rear end. The diesel is set with the 3.43. I just hate to get something so much more expensive with the added emission for as little towing I’ll actually be doing but I’ve not ruled it out either. I don’t want to get something that I’m going to be harming by not driving it enough though.

Badbart56
07-12-2020, 01:34 PM
Just my 2 cents. Get the diesel if you have any doubts about the ability of the gasser. My family and practically all of my friends own them and will never switch back. I'm not going to tell you that no one ever has problems with a diesel. I know that they, like all mechanical things can and will break down, and diesels typically are more expensive to repair. That said, I've not had any major issues with any of mine to date. The newer diesels are very capable. My last two trucks were diesel duallys. Very stable tow vehicles. It's good that you do your research. Good luck in making your decision. My dually sits for two months at a time. No harm done. 190K miles on the odometer currently.

Gegrad
07-12-2020, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately the new Chevy gasser 6.6 only comes with the 3.73 rear end. The diesel is set with the 3.43. I just hate to get something so much more expensive with the added emission for as little towing I’ll actually be doing but I’ve not ruled it out either. I don’t want to get something that I’m going to be harming by not driving it enough though.

That's pretty surprising re: the rear end. And I am with you; I did not want a diesel either, that's why I got my new gasser, as I will possibly go to a 10-11k 5er in a few years and my setup will be fine for that. I don't ever physically want to tow or maintain anything larger than that, so that's why I was good with a 3/4 ton.

Northofu1
07-12-2020, 02:01 PM
You might want to really pick the trailer first.
All of this means nothing if you're not happy with the floor plan and options you want based on the type of camping you want to do.
Do you need 40' of trailer and a 1 ton truck to long haul it once a year? You might find that beast of a set up a pain to weekend camp.
Now, the 3/4 ton and 1 ton have the same drive train so the only difference is the payload. fuel economy should be negligible.

I picked my truck based on the 5th wheel I wanted to tow and the Max GVWR of 10000 lbs. When I found it I bought it.

sourdough
07-12-2020, 02:12 PM

With where you're at in the process I would definitely be looking at the 1 tons. If Chevy only offers a 3.73 I would also be worrying about that with a 5th wheel. My last truck had the same engine as this one with a 3.73 (plus a 6 speed vs the new 8 speed) and the 4.10 makes a ton of difference in towing performance. I would not have put that 3.73 on a 5th wheel.

I don't own a diesel by choice, simply because I don't want to pay the 10k up front and don't, well didn't, need the torque, DEF and all the other associated "stuff". So far this truck has handled this trailer fine but I was thoroughly convinced when I left for FL I would be running down a diesel; I was pleasantly surprised.

If you stay in the weight range of the trailer you linked to the Chevy would probably be just fine. Don't know what kind of tranny is in the new HD trucks but I'm sure they have been upgraded from a few years back.

As far as Forest River products....do your research. All RVs have issues and FR has their share. After repeated issues little brother got rid of his. And that brings up another really good point; make a deal with a GOOD dealer, not just somebody that sells RVs. Check them out really well. They can make, or break, your RV experience as happened with my brother.

ctbruce
07-12-2020, 02:16 PM
Very happy with my 1 ton diesel SRW Chevy. It is also my daily driver. DEF is a PITA butt (LOL) not a killer. I will not go back to gasser again, I like the power and feel.

BigToe
07-12-2020, 02:20 PM
You might want to really pick the trailer first.
All of this means nothing if you're not happy with the floor plan and options you want based on the type of camping you want to do.
Do you need 40' of trailer and a 1 ton truck to long haul it once a year? You might find that beast of a set up a pain to weekend camp.
Now, the 3/4 ton and 1 ton have the same drive train so the only difference is the payload. fuel economy should be negligible.

I picked my truck based on the 5th wheel I wanted to tow and the Max GVWR of 10000 lbs. When I found it I bought it.
Yeah I’m really trying to do two things at once and that’s my error. I’ve just started looking at campers more seriously now though. I thought knowing the vehicle capabilities would help me pick the camper. I’m going to be in the truck much more than the camper and that was another reason I was focusing on truck first. I know I won’t get a dully. I just have no desire. I also have no desire for a 40’ camper either. I’d be fine in the low 30’s max length.

BigToe
07-12-2020, 02:25 PM
Very happy with my 1 ton diesel SRW Chevy. It is also my daily driver. DEF is a PITA butt (LOL) not a killer. I will not go back to gasser again, I like the power and feel.
Do you know of any issues with short commutes with the diesel? I was told to stay away with the 2-5 miles I only drive everyday. I have nothing against them just don’t want to get myself into trouble for something I didn’t really need to begin with.

flybouy
07-12-2020, 02:32 PM
I like gassers pulling big loads, they look so cute in the passenger mirror when I'm passing them going up hills. Sorry Danny, couldn't help myself.:hide:

ctbruce
07-12-2020, 02:33 PM
Do you know of any issues with short commutes with the diesel? I was told to stay away with the 2-5 miles I only drive everyday. I have nothing against them just don’t want to get myself into trouble for something I didn’t really need to begin with.I haven't heard of any and do some short trips to store etc. I usually take the long way home or fiddle a little. To date in 3 years no issues for me. I take it out on the road for 2 to 300 miles a couple of times a month also. My commute is 20 miles so not a concern.

sourdough
07-12-2020, 03:31 PM
I like gassers pulling big loads, they look so cute in the passenger mirror when I'm passing them going up hills. Sorry Danny, couldn't help myself.:hide:

I'm not worrying about that. Chipped, cold air, cat back w/Thrush mufflers and 7000rpm and I can keep up with you.....:lol:

chuckster57
07-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Thrush mufflers? Really, get with the program Danny it’s all about the Flow Masters!! Had them on my ‘86 F250 with that 460 on steroids.

flybouy
07-12-2020, 03:47 PM
Thrush mufflers? Really, get with the program Danny it’s all about the Flow Masters!! Had them on my ‘86 F250 with that 460 on steroids.

I wasn't going to say anything... I just Danny was having a flashback .:lol:

chuckster57
07-12-2020, 03:49 PM
At least he didn’t say “cherry bombs” :lol:

Logan X
07-12-2020, 03:49 PM

...and that was in the very first response. Sorry Jim!:)

sourdough
07-12-2020, 03:53 PM

Flow Masters? Hey, them's bucks man....

ctbruce
07-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Would love to see people's faces when those pulled into a campground at bedtime. LOL.

chuckster57
07-12-2020, 04:05 PM
Would love to see people's faces when those pulled into a campground at bedtime. LOL.
When I had my ‘86 gasser, we yanked the Jayco in sig from Modesto,Ca to Devils Elbow Missouri to see my son.

460 with edelbrock performer intake, comp can, roller rockers, MSD ignition, headman headers with true dual exhaust 2 1/2”. We left the campground at about 6:30 and I really tried to idle out. The loudest was Kingman Az KOA, heading East. Had to hammer down going up the grade, it echoed for miles :D

chuckster57
07-12-2020, 04:09 PM
Flow Masters? Hey, them's bucks man....

And well worth the money!!

Badbart56
07-12-2020, 05:48 PM
At least he didn’t say “cherry bombs” :lol:

You beat me to that Chuck! Honestly, my old 7.3 may have been louder! I got Magnaflows on my Cadillac CTS V and they are much better sounding.

travelin texans
07-12-2020, 08:42 PM
For 13+ years had 2 different GMC diesels, an '05 no DEF & a '13 with DEF, as daily drivers with 300k+ miles between them, short trips, long trips & approximately 130k miles towing, never had a major issue on either. The '05 had the 5 speed Allison, the '13 had the 6 speed, both had 3.73 rearends, both got 9-13mpg towing 40' 16.5k 5th wheels & 15-17 unloaded.
Towed a tractor/brushog on a gooseneck, weighing less than my 5er, at work for an entire summer with a 1 ton Ford V10 that had decent power, til in the hills, but at the cost of fuel economy, 6-8mpg with a 26 gallon tank, I didn't pass up many gas stations, would never tow anything over about 10k lbs ever again with a gasser.
As mentioned the DEF was a PITA to fill with the port under the hood, but it could go 3-3.5k miles before needing a 2.5 gallon jug so not a big deal. Routine maintenance from my experience was very little more than a gasser as the oil change intervals were 10k miles or once year. Nowadays any maintenance regardless if diesel or gasser is going to be expensive, not much on the newer ones for us shade tree'rs without a diagnostic computer hanging on a limb.
If you plan on traveling in the mountains regularly get the 1 ton diesel Chevy (also a GM guy), drive it like you stole it & go enjoy the experience.

wiredgeorge
07-13-2020, 04:30 AM

Why the heck send anyone to this site to ask about TV size? Is this some sort of initiation? :lol:

BigToe
07-13-2020, 06:16 AM
I haven't heard of any and do some short trips to store etc. I usually take the long way home or fiddle a little. To date in 3 years no issues for me. I take it out on the road for 2 to 300 miles a couple of times a month also. My commute is 20 miles so not a concern.
Just checked on the specs of a 1 ton diesel and lost a hundred pounds on payload. I hate this process. It’s smoke and mirrors. Truck says it can pull an additional 5k lbs over the gasser but in actuality it’s does less than the gasser due to payload.

flybouy
07-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Just checked on the specs of a 1 ton diesel and lost a hundred pounds on payload. I hate this process. It’s smoke and mirrors. Truck says it can pull an additional 5k lbs over the gasser but in actuality it’s does less than the gasser due to payload.

My guess is the two truck's your comparing have different gear ratios. If a 100 lb payload difference is a deal breaker on a 1 ton truck than maybe you need to think about less trailer.

I don't think most people choose a diesel for payload. There are as many opinions/arguments over gas vs diesel as there is over Coke vs Pepsi. Personally I wouldn't consider a larger trailer with a gas powered tow vehicle if I was towing a lot of miles or in hilly areas. The gas proponents can talk all day about the newer engines tolerating higher rpms all they want but here's the elephant in the room, at what load?

If you want a fair comparison of an engine that's under a constant heavy torque load look at the marine industry. Once you start cranking up over 4k for long periods you will see engine rebuilds increase in frequency. Ask anyone that's run a class A or large class C gasser and not only will they complain about the terrible fuel mileage the transmissions give up first then the engines. Moder gassers have gotten better but still don't compare to a diesel drive train IMHO.

It's not uncommon to see a diesel-powered rig with 200k miles that's still going strong. Haven't seen a gasser do that yet. I've towed with both gas and diesel and to me the diesel is hands down the winner. I don't understand the "expense" argument or the "don't tow that far or that often" argument either. To my thinking, spending $60-$70K or more for a large fiver and "only use it a few weekends a year" is a collaso waste of money but that's just me.

Bottom line it's your money your choice. Doing your homework, weighting all your options is the smart move.

BigToe
07-13-2020, 08:02 AM
My guess is the two truck's your comparing have different gear ratios. If a 100 lb payload difference is a deal breaker on a 1 ton truck than maybe you need to think about less trailer.

I don't think most people choose a diesel for payload. There are as many opinions/arguments over gas vs diesel as there is over Coke vs Pepsi. Personally I wouldn't consider a larger trailer with a gas powered tow vehicle if I was towing a lot of miles or in hilly areas. The gas proponents can talk all day about the newer engines tolerating higher rpms all they want but here's the elephant in the room, at what load?

If you want a fair comparison of an engine that's under a constant heavy torque load look at the marine industry. Once you start cranking up over 4k for long periods you will see engine rebuilds increase in frequency. Ask anyone that's run a class A or large class C gasser and not only will they complain about the terrible fuel mileage the transmissions give up first then the engines. Moder gassers have gotten better but still don't compare to a diesel drive train IMHO.

It's not uncommon to see a diesel-powered rig with 200k miles that's still going strong. Haven't seen a gasser do that yet. I've towed with both gas and diesel and to me the diesel is hands down the winner. I don't understand the "expense" argument or the "don't tow that far or that often" argument either. To my thinking, spending $60-$70K or more for a large fiver and "only use it a few weekends a year" is a collaso waste of money but that's just me.

Bottom line it's your money your choice. Doing your homework, weighting all your options is the smart move.
100 lbs isn’t a deal breaker and I don’t plan to get a camper over 12k lbs max loaded and it won’t be in the $60k range either. Like I said before I’m just trying to see what I should be looking for. I’m new to this entire process so when people say payload is what matters and get a diesel then those two combat themselves due to the higher weight of diesel. I appreciate everyone’s input and will take everything said into consideration. Im not retired and am only allowed a certain amount of vacation per year so some of us are forced to only camp a few times per year. I’m simply posting what I’m finding out during this process.

Badbart56
07-13-2020, 08:10 AM

I agree, it is kind of a smoke and mirrors thing. When you look at the gas models it looks like you have all this towing capacity and you do, sort of. Depending on the options you may have a high payload on the gasser because that engine weighs much less than the diesel engine. But the reality is that you'll be so underpowered that it won't feel like the truck is up to the task. On the other hand you can get a truck with the diesel so gussied up with options that there isn't much payload left to tow what you need to. That's one of the reasons I opt for the dually. My payload is 4529 pounds and if I didn't have the crew cab it would be over 5000 pounds. Much to consider.

Understand though, my dually is also my daily driver when I'm home, so short trips, long trips, it doesn't really matter. I swore when I got this truck that if the emissions or exhaust filter ever gave me any problems I would do the delete. 190000 mile and I still have the OEM emissions system on it.

MarkEHansen
07-13-2020, 08:35 AM
I also went for the diesel. This was my first and I was a little worried about the additional maintenance, DEF and other horror stories that get traded around. The reality is that today's diesel is not your father's diesel. The DEF is a minor inconvenience at most (IMO) and keeps the exhaust clean and odor free.

The tow capacity is more than I need, but leaves room for a larger trailer later.

The only real down side that I see to a diesel is the additional up-front cost.

You really don't know what you're missing until you try it. There's just nothing like towing with a good diesel power plant. It just pulls and doesn't heave breathe hard :)

As far as a diesel truck having a lower payload - well, that's true. One comment made it sound like going with the diesel removes a significant portion of the payload - this is not true. Just make sure you select a truck that will support your trailer profile. I went with the truck I did because it was more than large enough for my current trailer and any future trailer I may upgrade to in the future.

sourdough
07-13-2020, 09:26 AM
100 lbs isn’t a deal breaker and I don’t plan to get a camper over 12k lbs max loaded and it won’t be in the $60k range either. Like I said before I’m just trying to see what I should be looking for. I’m new to this entire process so when people say payload is what matters and get a diesel then those two combat themselves due to the higher weight of diesel. I appreciate everyone’s input and will take everything said into consideration. Im not retired and am only allowed a certain amount of vacation per year so some of us are forced to only camp a few times per year. I’m simply posting what I’m finding out during this process.

BigToe, as one just looking into this stuff it does sound like smoke and mirrors; one of the reasons so many folks get confused and sometimes irritated.

In most cases getting the diesel is a trade off basically; a heavier diesel engine that will tow x lbs. much easier than a gas engine but generally with less payload. You also deal with the up front cost of the engine/drivetrain itself which one has to personally determine if their needs warrant.

You have to either KNOW what trailer you are going to buy so you have specifics to spec a truck (knowing if a bigger trailer is in your future is beneficial) or KNOW the truck and be willing to spec a trailer to fit its capabilities regardless if the trailer is inadequate or not. To do anything different puts you directly on the path of so many others that start the leap frog game of bigger trailer/truck, unhappy, repeat. We are here to help, not aggravate so keep shooting the questions and we will help all we can. Hopefully you can be one of the lucky ones that "gets it right the first time".

Gord
07-13-2020, 10:31 AM
I have no idea what the fuel economy on a large gasser is. My 2008 2500HD GMC Sierra Duramax diesel on short trips from home to town around 5 miles uses 16Litres per 100KM's which translates to 14.7 mi/gal(US).

JRTJH
07-13-2020, 10:56 AM
I'm late to the party, but a number of members have posted "DEF is a pain" or similar comments... Here's my take on diesel power and "short commutes" (consistently operating the vehicle on trips of less than a couple of miles)...

Diesel engines produce significantly less heat than gas engines, so they warm up to operating temperature very slowly. Not warming the oil will prevent it from "burning off/steaming off" condensation in the oil system. That produces sludge and can be harmful to small oil passages in modern engines....

That problem, in my opinion, is secondary to the "DEF is a pain" issue. Diesel engines "burn off carbon" only when they're HOT (at operating temperature). Most "road diesels" have a carbon collection device and a catalytic converter. When the vehicle is below operating temperature, it produces increased carbon emissions, those are "collected/stored in the carbon collector"... When the vehcle reaches operating temperature, the carbon production goes down, so there's less to collect. Consistent operation at low engine temperatures will increase carbon production as the vehicle never reaches operating temps...

The "rub" comes with that "DEF is a pain" issue.... DEF is used to burn the carbon collected during engine operation. DEF is injected into the catalytic converter to burn that carbon. The ONLY way the catalytic converter/DEF system can work is with the HIGH HEAT of normal operating temperatures and the added heat of increased diesel fuel injection. Now, the bad part: When operated "only a couple of miles on a local commute" the emissions system never reaches a temperature to "burn off the carbon, DEF or no DEF... That becomes a problem with "short commutes".

We live in northern Michigan and it's 20 miles to town. During the winter, the truck "barely warms up" on that 20 mile trip and about the time the computer tries to start a DEF cycle, we're "at WalMart and shut the truck down" That cancels the DEF cycle and the carbon builds up in the carbon filter. Do that "all winter" or "do short commutes all winter" and you're going to damage the emissions system.

Chip commented that he "takes the long way home plus a couple of extended mileage trips monthly. That's all it takes to keep the DEF cycles doing what they need to do.... If the ONLY driving is going to be a 2 mile trip/shutdown/2 miles home environment, then the DEF cycle will NEVER initiate, and you're going to have problems in a year or so.

We solved our DEF cycle problem by making sure we drive the truck at least 100 miles (without shutting it down) every month. Invariably, EVERY one of those trips, about 25 miles into it, the momentary DEF CYCLE notice will flash on the screen. In the winter with "near zero temps" it takes about 35-75 miles for the DEF cycle to complete.

So, if on an outside chance, you're going to consider a diesel. Add into the operating environment, a longer trip, at least monthly. Otherwise, buy the extended warranty because the emissions warranty expires at 50K miles, unlike the powertrain warranty which lasts for 60K or the engine warranty (does not include the DEF system) which is 100K.....

wiredgeorge
07-13-2020, 12:34 PM
The confusion regarding truck capabilities lies in the myriad of factors that determine payload; generally the engine power isn't the short pole in the tent and now days the brakes and transmissions have come a long way. When you see a high payload, it is on a stripped, regular cab, 2 wheel drive with a gas engine. Why? That stuff just weighs less than guzzied up trucks... all the things that make trucks civilized eat away at payload as they don't generally change the suspenion, engine or brakes. A Ford Lariat model will have lower payload than an XL model. While the diesel may give a truck more pulling grunt, it is HEAVIER and the 4WD transfer case is another thing that helps subtract available payload.

When you are out shopping and looking at one tons, if you can avoid the higher end models and go 2WD (most folks can't be without a crew cab as they drag junk and younguns) but minimize on all the gee-gaws you will find the payload is significantly higher... walk through a dealership and look at the stickers and not brochures. I buy used and looked for an XL (strippo) model and added a universal power lock kit and a stereo with a big screen for a backup camera and don't have power anything else (well power steering/brakes) and my truck has really decent payload as a result. I would also get a long bed to minimize 5th wheel hauling issues (you can smash your cab when turning to sharp with a short bed).

LabRatICMP3
07-13-2020, 05:45 PM
The "rub" comes with that "DEF is a pain" issue.... DEF is used to burn the carbon collected during engine operation. DEF is injected into the catalytic converter to burn that carbon.

I am late to this also but this is not quite right. The carbon collection is preformed by the DPF system(Diesel Particulate Filter). The DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) system is a completely separate system. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream of diesel vehicles and SCR catalyst to break down dangerous NOx emissions into harmless nitrogen and water.

The carbon buildup is burned off by injecting diesel into the DPF and that burns off the carbon at a high temp which usually requires the engine to be at operating temp and being driven until the soot is burned off.

sourdough
07-13-2020, 05:54 PM
I am late to this also but this is not quite right. The carbon collection is preformed by the DPF system(Diesel Particulate Filter). The DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) system is a completely separate system. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream of diesel vehicles and SCR catalyst to break down dangerous NOx emissions into harmless nitro gen and water.

The carbon buildup is burned off by injecting diesel into the DPF and that burns off the carbon at a high temp which usually requires the engine to be a operating temp and being driven until the soot is burned off.

:facepalm::facepalm: And therein is the reason I love my gassers....:D:D

Northofu1
07-13-2020, 06:14 PM

One big trip and several small trips does not warrant a diesel power plant. Get the truck based on your usage, not someone else' based on their usage.
personally if i wanted a trailer that size and weight I would go for a 1 ton gasser.

notanlines
07-13-2020, 06:14 PM
As our infamous member Javi once said “ Go ahead. Buy the gasser and just drive around the RV park with your windows down making a sound like a diesel.”

Badbart56
07-13-2020, 06:16 PM
I am late to this also but this is not quite right. The carbon collection is preformed by the DPF system(Diesel Particulate Filter). The DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) system is a completely separate system. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream of diesel vehicles and SCR catalyst to break down dangerous NOx emissions into harmless nitro gen and water.

The carbon buildup is burned off by injecting diesel into the DPF and that burns off the carbon at a high temp which usually requires the engine to be a operating temp and being driven until the soot is burned off.

And it does an amazing job! Even in our class 8 International, no diesel smell whatsoever! And no failure in 592000+ miles.

BigToe
07-13-2020, 06:34 PM
BigToe, as one just looking into this stuff it does sound like smoke and mirrors; one of the reasons so many folks get confused and sometimes irritated.

In most cases getting the diesel is a trade off basically; a heavier diesel engine that will tow x lbs. much easier than a gas engine but generally with less payload. You also deal with the up front cost of the engine/drivetrain itself which one has to personally determine if their needs warrant.

You have to either KNOW what trailer you are going to buy so you have specifics to spec a truck (knowing if a bigger trailer is in your future is beneficial) or KNOW the truck and be willing to spec a trailer to fit its capabilities regardless if the trailer is inadequate or not. To do anything different puts you directly on the path of so many others that start the leap frog game of bigger trailer/truck, unhappy, repeat. We are here to help, not aggravate so keep shooting the questions and we will help all we can. Hopefully you can be one of the lucky ones that "gets it right the first time".
Thanks so much. I’m now into a process that’s become frustrating instead of fun like I had anticipated. I acknowledge I’m the reason for that due to my limited knowledge. One of the issues I’m running into is that since the truck manufacturers were shut down to make defibulators there’s a heavy duty truck shortage. I’ve sent info requests to dealers in 5 different states now just due to not finding anything closer that’s what I’m looking for or in my price range. I should of picked out a camper first and went from there but not having the vehicle to tow it I was focused on that.

I thank everyone for all the advice. It’s greatly appreciated and all of you have probably saved me a huge headache and I can’t be thankful enough.

JRTJH
07-13-2020, 06:40 PM
I am late to this also but this is not quite right. The carbon collection is preformed by the DPF system(Diesel Particulate Filter). The DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) system is a completely separate system. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust stream of diesel vehicles and SCR catalyst to break down dangerous NOx emissions into harmless nitrogen and water.

The carbon buildup is burned off by injecting diesel into the DPF and that burns off the carbon at a high temp which usually requires the engine to be at operating temp and being driven until the soot is burned off.

And that was the point I was trying to convey: If you only drive the truck a couple of miles in the morning and a couple of miles in the afternoon and a long trip in the summer, you're not going to be able to "clear the DPF of carbon. Not only does the engine "burn dirtier when cold" it "can't clean itself if it never warms up"... Had you read the "rest of the post" rather than just that one sentence, you'd have noted I commented on exactly what you said, in a bit different wording, but .....

BigToe
07-13-2020, 06:51 PM
I'm late to the party, but a number of members have posted "DEF is a pain" or similar comments... Here's my take on diesel power and "short commutes" (consistently operating the vehicle on trips of less than a couple of miles)...

Diesel engines produce significantly less heat than gas engines, so they warm up to operating temperature very slowly. Not warming the oil will prevent it from "burning off/steaming off" condensation in the oil system. That produces sludge and can be harmful to small oil passages in modern engines....

That problem, in my opinion, is secondary to the "DEF is a pain" issue. Diesel engines "burn off carbon" only when they're HOT (at operating temperature). Most "road diesels" have a carbon collection device and a catalytic converter. When the vehicle is below operating temperature, it produces increased carbon emissions, those are "collected/stored in the carbon collector"... When the vehcle reaches operating temperature, the carbon production goes down, so there's less to collect. Consistent operation at low engine temperatures will increase carbon production as the vehicle never reaches operating temps...

The "rub" comes with that "DEF is a pain" issue.... DEF is used to burn the carbon collected during engine operation. DEF is injected into the catalytic converter to burn that carbon. The ONLY way the catalytic converter/DEF system can work is with the HIGH HEAT of normal operating temperatures and the added heat of increased diesel fuel injection. Now, the bad part: When operated "only a couple of miles on a local commute" the emissions system never reaches a temperature to "burn off the carbon, DEF or no DEF... That becomes a problem with "short commutes".

We live in northern Michigan and it's 20 miles to town. During the winter, the truck "barely warms up" on that 20 mile trip and about the time the computer tries to start a DEF cycle, we're "at WalMart and shut the truck down" That cancels the DEF cycle and the carbon builds up in the carbon filter. Do that "all winter" or "do short commutes all winter" and you're going to damage the emissions system.

Chip commented that he "takes the long way home plus a couple of extended mileage trips monthly. That's all it takes to keep the DEF cycles doing what they need to do.... If the ONLY driving is going to be a 2 mile trip/shutdown/2 miles home environment, then the DEF cycle will NEVER initiate, and you're going to have problems in a year or so.

We solved our DEF cycle problem by making sure we drive the truck at least 100 miles (without shutting it down) every month. Invariably, EVERY one of those trips, about 25 miles into it, the momentary DEF CYCLE notice will flash on the screen. In the winter with "near zero temps" it takes about 35-75 miles for the DEF cycle to complete.

So, if on an outside chance, you're going to consider a diesel. Add into the operating environment, a longer trip, at least monthly. Otherwise, buy the extended warranty because the emissions warranty expires at 50K miles, unlike the powertrain warranty which lasts for 60K or the engine warranty (does not include the DEF system) which is 100K.....
Thank you so much for this. Much better info than the “don’t get diesel with short drives” response with no other info explaining why or the other crowd that swears gassers are to tonka toys. This info is what I’ve been looking for. I now know the why and the how to prevent it if I go this way.

BigToe
07-14-2020, 09:24 AM
Another question. When the towing label on the truck says max tongue weight for gooseneck trailering does this mean the 25 percent of the trailer weight can’t exceed this number even if it’s ok with payload or?? Most of what I’m seeing is between 2500-300 lbs that’s noted. That’s puts more restriction than payload. See picture I posted on first page for example.

Tcarter
07-19-2020, 07:53 AM
Go with the 1ton long bed diesel. It will get you around 14 to 16 mpg in the city. And 18 to20 mpg on the highway not pulling anything. It will get 1o to 13 pulling the camper. And if you decide on a bigger camper later you will have a truck that can put it

Rwake901
07-19-2020, 08:20 AM
:facepalm::facepalm: And therein is the reason I love my gassers....:D:D

X2 😁. They talked me into a 1 ton when I was going through this same thing last year. I’m soooo glad I got a 1 ton. I bought a 2019 Chevy 6.0 gas HD with 4:10 rear end. I pull between 12500 and 13000 depending on how we have it loaded. I don’t regret not buying a diesel at all! I’m still under max weight and it gets me where we want to go.

sparky895
07-19-2020, 08:48 AM
Just a thought on the Diesel trucks. Because of the screen installed for emissions, a short commute will not burn off the screen and could clogg up and cause major problems. They require freeway speeds on a regular basis. My father in law burned up a couple turbos in his 2008 Dodge that way.

CaptnJohn
07-19-2020, 08:55 AM
Thanks Gegrad, I also posted specs of a one ton gasser with 3913 payload. You think I would be safe with a 13k max fifth wheel with this one ton with occasional Colorado trips? This would exceed max pin weight noted by the truck. How big a issue is that?

Sure just stay far away from mountains at all times. If you are talking mountains and passes you need a diesel.

travelin texans
07-19-2020, 09:13 AM
Just a thought on the Diesel trucks. Because of the screen installed for emissions, a short commute will not burn off the screen and could clogg up and cause major problems. They require freeway speeds on a regular basis. My father in law burned up a couple turbos in his 2008 Dodge that way.

As I mentioned earlier, I've had 2 diesels, both our only vehicle driven daily, both with over 150k miles when traded & neither ever had an issue due to short trips.
My son had a '05 Dodge that had injector problems & a Ford Excursion with the POS 6.0 that went through head gaskets, among a dozen other issues, quicker than oil changes, neither were claimed to be caused by being driven daily on short trips.
There are literally 1000s of diesels being used as daily drivers nowadays & this is the only place I've read of them having neverending mechanical issues due to this type of driving. Any vehicle with any engine can have issues at any time!
Also those that keep saying the maintenance costs are extremely high have probably never owned a later model diesel, or any diesel, say the last 10-15 years, from my experience it wasn't the case.
If you don't want a diesel, don't get one! But if towing heavy they won't be beat by any gasser by any manufacturer.

Badbart56
07-19-2020, 09:24 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I've had 2 diesels, both our only vehicle driven daily, both with over 150k miles when traded & neither ever had an issue due to short trips.
My son had a '05 Dodge that had injector problems & a Ford Excursion with the POS 6.0 that went through head gaskets, among a dozen other issues, quicker than oil changes, neither were claimed to be caused by being driven daily on short trips.
There are literally 1000s of diesels being used as daily drivers nowadays & this is the only place I've read of them having neverending mechanical issues due to this type of driving. Any vehicle with any engine can have issues at any time!
Also those that keep saying the maintenance costs are extremely high have probably never owned a later model diesel, or any diesel, say the last 10-15 years, from my experience it wasn't the case.

Agreed. When the first DPF diesels hit the road this is all we heard. It turned out to be a non-issue. I only drive mine about 8 weeks out of the year now and most of the time it's for 8 miles or less. Over 190K miles and no emissions issues other than the DEF heater and it was covered under warranty up until December of 2019. I'm waiting to see how low they'll go on the 2020's when the 2021's come out. I might replace it then. 475 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque sounds attractive. Don't really need it but, whatever, I like my diesels. They don't struggle with hills like gassers do.

CaptnJohn
07-19-2020, 09:26 AM
I agree, on my 4th Ford diesel All 67 Powerstroke, all my daily driver. Two have been a dually. Never a problem with any of them!

If you don't want a diesel, don't get one! But if towing heavy they won't be beat by any gasser by any manufacturer.

Larrystegall
07-19-2020, 03:54 PM
Hi Big Toe. I have the 2016 Silverado 2500HD Double Cab LB 6.0 gasser 4:10, and carry a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 14000. Cat scaled at 3700 front, 5580 rear, 10440 on trailer axles ready to go. So 9280 on the truck (rated 9500) and 12560 trailer (14100 max rating), GVCW 19720 (rated 21400). So yes, a 2500 CAN carry if it is loaded right for you. After reading the other comments, my concern would be the 3:73 gears in the truck you are considering. I have a six speed auto tranny, if you would get an 8 speed maaaaybeee. This is my daily driver, and is a gasser for that reason. I do not tow full time, and long trips are a couple a year. So diesel was just not justified financially. I get avg 15 mpg, towing cuts it to 8 regardless of where I go. Mountains are right lane driving for me, but then I am usually there towing or not, so no problem. If I was rolling in money, I would be driving the 3500 diesel dually just cause I could. This configuration was the only way I could find in 2016 to carry my trailer with a gasser. Hope that helps.

Roscommon48
07-19-2020, 04:13 PM
lets talk. message me.

Northofu1
07-19-2020, 04:34 PM
Hi Big Toe. I have the 2016 Silverado 2500HD Double Cab LB 6.0 gasser 4:10, and carry a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 14000. Cat scaled at 3700 front, 5580 rear, 10440 on trailer axles ready to go. So 9280 on the truck (rated 9500) and 12560 trailer (14100 max rating), GVCW 19720 (rated 21400). So yes, a 2500 CAN carry if it is loaded right for you. After reading the other comments, my concern would be the 3:73 gears in the truck you are considering. I have a six speed auto tranny, if you would get an 8 speed maaaaybeee. This is my daily driver, and is a gasser for that reason. I do not tow full time, and long trips are a couple a year. So diesel was just not justified financially. I get avg 15 mpg, towing cuts it to 8 regardless of where I go. Mountains are right lane driving for me, but then I am usually there towing or not, so no problem. If I was rolling in money, I would be driving the 3500 diesel dually just cause I could. This configuration was the only way I could find in 2016 to carry my trailer with a gasser. Hope that helps.

Pretty much same truck as you, I'm not saying it won't tow it, but those weights are beyond my comfort level. I am really happy with my weight ratios.

Harried Harry
07-20-2020, 07:31 PM
Do you know of any issues with short commutes with the diesel? I was told to stay away with the 2-5 miles I only drive everyday. I have nothing against them just don’t want to get myself into trouble for something I didn’t really need to begin with.

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 (3/4ton) 4x4 QC long bed Single Rear Wheel (SRW), with the Cummins 6.7 diesel. I bought it because my 99 Chevy with the 6.0 gas engine could not pull my fifth wheel (03 Cougar 276) up a long 20 mile grade without the speed dropping from 75 mph down to 45 mph, with the accelerator all the way down! The 5er is only 28ft and is a relatively light weight unit. This road is on US 70 east of Las Cruces, NM. The grade for the last 8 miles is about 10%, so it is steep. My Dodge with the diesel tows the 5er, with no issues even if I'm in Colorado going up Raton Pass or Monarch pass (much steeper) in CO. I've taken it up Wolf Creek, but it does slow it down some. The best thing about a diesel is the engine brake really helps safe your regular brakes.
I also have a truck camper (TC) which fully loaded is about 3200#. This is part of the load I carry. Although the gear ratio is 3.73:1, the Dodge handles it well but I've needed to add a lot of expensive mods to do so. If you are using a 5er, then the weight goes against the same Load Capacity I must contend with when using my TC. (This is one reason I'm now looking for a newer, one ton truck.)

After I retired, I stopped driving 25,000 miles a year in my truck and now only drive about 5,000 miles. Short distance does cause issues with a diesel since the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off the carbon or other gunk. Taking it out on the Interstate and running it for a 60 mile trip (one town to another for me) is a good way to have the diesel run the regen so the gunk gets burned. My Dodge does not use DEF, it uses an older system.

Do your research on vehicles and on the trailer you want. My suggestion is to decide what you the purpose of each unit and how you'll use them. If you only want to use the 5er for one or two trips a year, you may want to reconsider and just think of using a tent or motel -you'll save a lot of money. Some people use a truck camper (I have one and love it) but you might use it more than a trailer. If you want to consider a TC, go to TruckCamperMagazine.com for good, detailed guidance on what to consider about either a truck or a TC.

Either way you decide is fine with me; you are the one who is spending the money. Regardless, any way you do it will require money each year for maintenance. I suspect most dealerships skip over this item so be forewarned it can get expensive. If I had known this, I would have saved $25K by not buying a 5er. A pop-up trailer worked well for me and the family. But now, they are grown and its just my wife and me at home.
:popcorn:

One caveat: Few truck or RV dealer salesmen know much about the actual capacities of trucks or RV's. Don't take anything they "say" as gospel. If it isn't in the WRITTEN sales agreement (contract) it doesn't exist. I've made my mistakes over the years and learned accordingly. The real challenge for all of us, is to find something which will meet our needs and our wants. Both for the tow vehicle (usually a truck) or the RV, a small pop-up, a towed trailer, a fifth-wheel trailer, or a truck camper. Each has pros and cons. At the end of the story, you will need to decide what will work best for you. Take your time! It took me decades to realize the manufacturer's make thousands, if not millions of vehicles every year. Sometimes, what you want is a good used vehicle which is also true of an RV. I've bought new ones as well as used ones. I've been satisfied with both ways of purchasing. However, if you buy a used truck, usually you won't pay the extreme $10,000 add on for buying a diesel, if you buy a diesel.

Good luck with your research. Don't give up, just think about it. We'll be around for a long time. After all, we don't have anywhere else our spouses will allow us to go. :)

BigToe
01-18-2021, 11:13 AM
https://ibb.co/m0y63fP

Just posting a update from a while back. After 7 months and deals gone south in 4 different states and 3 different vehicles sold while I was working a deal with another dealer I finally got it done just two hours away. Man these things are hard to find.

2021 Chevy 3500 diesel with 3800 payload. First time owning diesel. Had way more features and options than I was looking for but like I said it was like pulling teeth to find them unless you want a white truck.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. Now onto the camper.....if I can afford it.

sourdough
01-18-2021, 01:18 PM
Congrats on that new truck! You found, as I did, that finding one close to what you want can take a lot of time and gets to be work vs fun. Now, the next "fun" thing....trying to find the right trailer! Good luck and keep us posted (or ask away with questions if you have them).

BigToe
01-18-2021, 01:24 PM
Thanks sourdough. I was and still am pretty nervous about the diesel since I’ve never had one but that’s what was available and I knew it’d be quite a while before I’d find another one. I was up to searching and dealing 700 miles away and felt pretty lucky to get one about a 100 miles away.

Crossing fingers I don’t run into emission issues.

sourdough
01-18-2021, 01:37 PM
I think you'll be just fine. If it were me, and it was the first diesel I owned (and it would be) I would study that manual and figure out what to do and not do. Then, for me, it's getting over the smell, the greasy fuel and the sound....BUT they are very good at what they do. Heck, I may get one the next go round and I've told myself I would never own one....but I said that about a 5th wheel....and about a washer/dryer. :D Probably saved yourself a step in the truck musical chairs game.:lol:

MarkEHansen
01-18-2021, 01:52 PM
There is no more smell, and virtually no sound. You're thinking of long-ago diesels.

travelin texans
01-18-2021, 02:41 PM
I think you'll be just fine. If it were me, and it was the first diesel I owned (and it would be) I would study that manual and figure out what to do and not do. Then, for me, it's getting over the smell, the greasy fuel and the sound....BUT they are very good at what they do. Heck, I may get one the next go round and I've told myself I would never own one....but I said that about a 5th wheel....and about a washer/dryer. :D Probably saved yourself a step in the truck musical chairs game.:lol:

It'll be VERY little louder than your Hemi plus no more exhaust smell than your Hemi, but the fuel smell is still strong. Those that delete & chip their diesels will smoke & smell, but the newer models haven't had smelly exhaust or belched black smoke for well over a decade.
The biggest advantage to towing big RVs with a diesel is you can pull in & fuel up in the truck lanes & not have to put up with the idiots in their tiny little cars parking in your way at the gas islands, even the rv islands.

notanlines
01-18-2021, 03:37 PM
Mark, I told you that the answers would come to you on this forum, I don't want these dudes to get the big head, but once you wade through the BS they're pretty sharp, although we have to weed through a couple from Ontario now and then....:lol:

Roper46
01-18-2021, 03:39 PM
Just my .02 cents. I love my Ram, even though I swore over the years I would not own a diesel vehicle. As stated, there is very little noise and no exhaust smell or black smoke from the new ones.

This Ram can tow and is way better that the GMC 1500 Sierra AT4 I pulled my TT home with. What a scarey ride that was. Even though I drove GMCs for 15 years and still love them.

OP, I do not believe you will regret getting the diesel as I have not. GL on your search for your new RV amd safe travels to you.

sourdough
01-18-2021, 03:40 PM
It'll be VERY little louder than your Hemi plus no more exhaust smell than your Hemi, but the fuel smell is still strong. Those that delete & chip their diesels will smoke & smell, but the newer models haven't had smelly exhaust or belched black smoke for well over a decade.
The biggest advantage to towing big RVs with a diesel is you can pull in & fuel up in the truck lanes & not have to put up with the idiots in their tiny little cars parking in your way at the gas islands, even the rv islands.

Diesels have come a long way since I retired 14 years ago I know. The fuel still stinks and I don't like the exhaust smell although it is light years better than it used to be. Black smoke used to be very irritating but like you point out that is pretty much gone. The fuel is still greasy and stinky because it's always poured all over the drives in stations and then I track it in my truck unless I'm extremely careful.

The part in red is one of the primary reasons I might think of switching to a diesel; I've just about had it waiting for some clueless individual to finish putting on makeup or feed the family while I'm sitting behind them congesting the flow of traffic. THAT would be so much nicer. On the other hand, I'm not inclined to jump in the truck and make a 100 mile run every week so it can "regen" - won't happen so there's that. Still, the next time I sit behind a vehicle as I wait for the 7th person to come out of the Love's store to get back in the pickup and then all of them stare at me while they eat their chips and drink a coke......I'll probably be at the nearest dealership grabbing a diesel off their lot in a whirlwind.....:facepalm:

Laredo Tugger
01-18-2021, 04:13 PM
I don't know how you do it Danny with a large 5er and a gas TV. I had a 2016 F250 6.2L and a 27 ft. bunkhouse TT before my present combo. I always had to plan gas stops using Google maps and look at the street view as well. I would have a particular pump picked out that I could get in and out of easy.
I do enjoy the diesel refueling at the truck stops, much less headache.
DW and I have the drill down pretty good, when I pull up she goes inside and activates the pump and then buys lunch. Almost every time it works out that I pull up and park in front of the fuel pumps and she is coming out of the store.
I get in and out as quick as possible but it is much easier than the gas station for the reasons you mentioned.
RMc

wiredgeorge
01-18-2021, 04:39 PM

I have a deleted diesel with a tune and my truck neither smells or smokes. Guess smoke and stink must not be true in all cases. I am sure folks can have whatever opinion they want but I have to call BS on this one. BTW: Chips are hardly in use these days; most folks use a tuner and put a canned or custom tune on their computer. I have a 50hp tow tune that also adjusts the shift points towards towing.

wiredgeorge
01-18-2021, 04:42 PM
I don't know how you do it Danny with a large 5er and a gas TV. I had a 2016 F250 6.2L and a 27 ft. bunkhouse TT before my present combo. I always had to plan gas stops using Google maps and look at the street view as well. I would have a particular pump picked out that I could get in and out of easy.
I do enjoy the diesel refueling at the truck stops, much less headache.
DW and I have the drill down pretty good, when I pull up she goes inside and activates the pump and then buys lunch. Almost every time it works out that I pull up and park in front of the fuel pumps and she is coming out of the store.
I get in and out as quick as possible but it is much easier than the gas station for the reasons you mentioned.
RMc

My old 96 F250 pulled the same trailer as I currently pull but the brakes were not good... Had the 460 and twin 18 gallon tanks and while it was a gas hog, (7-8 mpg towing) I never worried about finding a gas station. I have also never filled up my current truck (diesel) in a truck lane. Tried it once but didn't know how to work the prompts; I seldom camp in places that have truck stop type filling stations anyway.

Laredo Tugger
01-18-2021, 07:25 PM
My old 96 F250 pulled the same trailer as I currently pull but the brakes were not good... Had the 460 and twin 18 gallon tanks and while it was a gas hog, (7-8 mpg towing) I never worried about finding a gas station. I have also never filled up my current truck (diesel) in a truck lane. Tried it once but didn't know how to work the prompts; I seldom camp in places that have truck stop type filling stations anyway.

George,
The "prompts" you mention (at least in my experience) on the pumps are set up for the truckers commercial credit card accounts. I do not have one so that's why DW goes to the inside counter and activates the pump (#) with our credit card. She sends me a text that it's on, uses the little girls room and usually gets lunch while I fuel up. I fill up a lot faster than the trucks so when I'm finished I clear from the pump and let the truck (if there is one) behind me fuel up. Since his/her truck tanks are so large it will be a while before I am in the way.
I do not camp where "truck stop type fueling stations" are either. I get my fuel on the road before entering any campground.
RMc

hornet28
01-19-2021, 06:41 AM
Some of you talk about using the trucker pumps. I HATE those large nozzles, I feel they are the main reason for all the fuel on the ground and they are hard to use when you want to really fill up to the brim