PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Sides

strawpatch1
10-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I have a 2005 Outback with what I think is a fiberglass slick side covering. In a few places on the front and side the fiberglass is delaminating/separating causing a bubble which looks bad. Anyone have some suggestions on best way to repair? I am worried that if this continues it will eventually all separate.

Festus2
10-26-2011, 12:28 PM
If it is fiberglass, it sounds like delamination which is probably caused by one of two things: improper or faulty fiberglass processing at the fiberglass/sidewall plant or you have water/moisture penetration into the fiberglass itself which is causing the separation and bubbling.
If it is a "bad batch" from the factory, then it may not enlarge any further.
If the cause is water penetration by some kind of leakage in your unit, then it will likely worsen as the bonding agent/glue gradually deteriorates and more separation takes place.
In either case, the repair will most likely be an expensive one. If the separation and bubbling is extensive or becomes that way, the entire wall may have to be replaced or repaired. The floor and ceiling may also be damaged if there has been water penetration into these areas as well.
Unless you are very familiar with and have experience in fiberglass repair, I would leave it to the pros.
My first inclination is to look for water leaks in your RV. Not sure how long you have it, but you may have noticed some smell of mould or other strange odours. If you recently purchased it, your RV may have been leaking for some time prior to your buying it.
You didn't indicate how extensive the bubbling is or exactly where it is occuring. If you can take some pics and post them here, it might give the members a clearer idea of how extensive the bubbling is and offer you some repair suggestions.

(Added note: Not exactly sure what you mean by "slick side or slick siding")

strawpatch1
10-27-2011, 06:07 AM
The bubbles are at the most about 3 inches by 12 inches. One is the front about half way down running across and the other is on the front side about 6 inches from a window running up and down. I have checked pretty close for leaks and have not found any yet. Not sure what those covering are composed of? Is it a plastic covering glued to wood that is screwed to the main frame? Or is a single piece? Surely there has to be a fix because I see this same condition on allot of slick sided campers.

mustang94
11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
if it was mine I would drill a small hole at the bottom of it, but only deep enough to go thru the bubble. Then push on the bubble to try and flatten it out to see if any water comes out or even the slightest bit wet. If wet look along your rain gutter first to make sure it is sealed. Fix any leaks you may find first and let every thing dry out real good. Then I would drill a few more small holes in and around the bubbled area. Get your self some 30 minute epoxy with a syringe and push in as much as you can in every hole until it starts to come out in other holes. Epoxy moves and flows a lot better when warm so warm it up. Next find away to push and hold constant pressure until dried wiping away anything that comes out of the holes. This is a cheap and fast fix and not the best looking when done but wont look to bad and I am sure it could save you thousands for a new wall....
Oh and like I said.... this is what I would do if it was mine....

strawpatch1
11-11-2011, 09:44 AM
I did find one spot on the rain gutter on the side and fixed it. The drill/glue idea sounds good to me. Not too worried about how will look, I baught it to camp and spend time with my kids. As for my wife i will tell her it is suppose to be like that.