PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor mini fridge - Over working?

Skins44
07-03-2020, 10:27 AM
I typically have my trailer plugged into 20amp power at home during the spring/summer/fall months. We take frequent trips and its nice to not unload and load the refrigerator every trip.

That said, i am worried about my mini fridge in the outside kitchen compartment. With the door shut, there is nowhere for the warm air to escape. I decided to unplugged it yesterday until we leave. It sounded like it was struggling a bit and the compressor was hot to the touch.

Any thoughts on this? Are those little fridges designed to run hot?

JRTJH
07-03-2020, 10:41 AM
To an even greater degree, residential refrigerators inside the cabin have the same limitation. The owner's manual states not to operate the residential refrigerator when the inside temperature of the coach is expected to be greater than 110F. The reason is the additional stress on the compressor.

If you've ever opened a trailer door in the afternoon after towing all day in the sunshine, you know how hot it can get inside. The Keystone Owner's Manual doesn't specifically address the "outdoor kitchen refrigerator"... It's possible that Keystone "lumped all residential refrigerators" into one category and the 110F limit applies to the outdoor kitchen as well as the bigger refrigerators ???

At any rate, you're right, operating your small 110 VAC refrigerator inside a small closed space which is also exposed to the sun and "super hot temps" is not going to be good for the refrigerator.

If you unplug it or install a switch to turn power off to that refrigerator, don't forget to leave the door open. In those temps, it's a sure bet you'll have mold inside the refrigerator after about 24 hours.

flybouy
07-03-2020, 11:42 AM
On our outside fridge I'll open the hatch about 6" if no rain is expected. If it's raining, or going to rain, for any length of time (like an all day rain) then I'll turn it off and remove rerishables.