PDA

View Full Version : Wasted Space under Couch

E597283
10-25-2011, 07:30 AM
I have a 2011 Passport 2910BH and the sofa has a lot of space underneath that is wasted. The fabric that goes end to end (about 4 feet) only hides the space under sofa. I was thinking of cutting the fabric in half and run it along the insides and use a couple of upholstery tacks to keep it in place. My wife would then like to get a hassock that could slide under and maybe a couple of decorative wicker baskets (with handles) to stop items. Sound good…Any other ideas? Any reason why I need to keep that space empty?

JRTJH
10-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Our sofa had a "kickboard" along the front bottom edge. It was held in place by 4 screws, two on each end. I took it off, bought a 5 foot long piano hinge and remounted it, Now it lifts up and we have access to that space. Not sure if yours is the same or if you do just have a fabric cover with no support backing. Either way, if you need or can use the space, it's always worthwhile to modify.

cumminsdad08
10-25-2011, 04:13 PM
mine folds down to a bed( i know, i know, it has a name but i can't spell it) and we just lift up the seat some. i am not sure if all the sofa's do this, or just some of them. i think that i am just assuming this tho.

E597283
10-26-2011, 06:49 AM
right I think they call it a Jack-Knife sofa....sure i can lift it up to get stuff out but the front panel which is just fabric and not backer board is a waste....just cut it and that would allow access.

mhs4771
10-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Ours has an Air mattress folded up in it, but it also has a drawer underneath for bedding for the air mattress or what ever you want to put in it.

chuck&gail
10-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Mine has water pump and water heater under one half. I threw away silly stock front cover and installed paneling on that half of front under couch, with another paneling piece added towards rear going about half way to wall. I then bought trays that slide under open half under couch. Bungy keeps trays in place. Works great for us.

slider
11-20-2011, 05:31 PM
We have a 2590BH I think with the same set up (jack knife sofa). I pulled one side of the fabric off and sewed on some loops of bungee on the end I pulled off. Then I screwed some hooks to the frame on that side (to hook the bungee over).

Real good place to store stuff, simply unhook, store or retrieve items, and he-hook.

f6bits
11-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I’m building a drawer, similar to one on the mod forum (http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3684). I’ll untack the front material and tack it on the drawer-front.