PDA

View Full Version : AC Unit Maintenance

Skins44
06-30-2020, 11:07 AM
Getting ready to head out for an 11 day baseball-tourney then vacation starting on 7/9. I have a dometic 13k AC unit. Besides cleaning the air filters on the inside, what other maintenance should i perform on the roof portion (if any). We will be in Maryland, then NC and i imagine our AC unit will basically run constantly the entire time. There is no shade at our campground in NC.

Thank you!

chuckster57
06-30-2020, 11:11 AM
Remove the shroud and inspect/ clean the coils and fan. Other than that, use it.

notanlines
06-30-2020, 12:51 PM
On a closely related note, how often do our members clean their coils on the roof top units? I cleaned our last after staying at Pearl Lake RV Park in northern Illinois last year, adjacent to their 300+ cottonwood trees. They weren't as bad as I expected. Generally I try to clean them once a year.

flybouy
06-30-2020, 01:15 PM
On a closely related note, how often do our members clean their coils on the roof top units? I cleaned our last after staying at Pearl Lake RV Park in northern Illinois last year, adjacent to their 300+ cottonwood trees. They weren't as bad as I expected. Generally I try to clean them once a year.

Those cottonwoods are terrible. When I was working I'd add an extra spring PM to the HVACR contracts in areas with those trees.

On our trailer I typically wash the evaporator coil (the outside coil) when washing the roof, 2 X/yr. Just a gentle spray with the garden hose, nothing too vigorous.

The condenser coil (the inside coil) gets a spray of "no rinse" coil cleaner about 2X/yr unless conditions merit more.