PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protectors

STJ
06-29-2020, 05:39 AM
Looking for advice on what brand and model # surge proctor everyone likes or doesn't like. I have a 2019 Keystone 301UBH TT 50amp with 2 a/c unites.

flybouy
06-29-2020, 06:16 AM
I don't know of any surge protector that experienced rver's use. What you want to do is buy a EMS (electrical management system). The difference (besides price) is that an EMS will protect the electrical system from incorrectly wired pedestals, malfunctioning pedestals (missing ground, missing neutral, missing line), and provide under and over voltage protection. They also have a built in delay so if the electricity supply is rapidly interrupted (flickering lights during a storm) ir will delay the restoration of power for a min or two until the power is stabilized. This will save your air conditioner compressor.

An EMKS will also protect against a lightning strike which is the ONLY thing most surge protectors do.

bobbecky
06-29-2020, 09:07 AM
We full time, and some years ago lost both our satellite boxes due to a utility voltage burp, even with a surge device plugged in. After replacing both boxes, I installed a Progressive hardwired EMS. We have experienced low voltage, mis-wired pedestals, and other voltage issues, and the EMS has turned off or in the case of a bad pedestal, would not allow power to the rig until the problem was corrected. The money spent on an EMS will save you many times more money from damage that will happen from voltage problems.

K_N_L
06-29-2020, 09:30 AM
Progressive EMS 50amp hardwired, safe from elements and any chance of walking away. Hear their service is good as well - hopefully I will not ever need it.

travelin texans
06-29-2020, 11:22 AM
Whether hardwired or portable get the EMS ASAP!
I luckily chose the portable as I've had 3 RVs & only had to buy one EMS, 10 years of it pulled in daily & it never sprouted legs.

ChuckS
06-29-2020, 11:41 AM
The nice feature with a portable EMS is that you can plug it into the park pedestal before you drag out the RV power cable, etc and know right away if your new location is good... power wise

either version is great though....

Alpine
06-29-2020, 01:59 PM
Here ya go....

Ksupaul
06-29-2020, 05:12 PM
Portable progressive EMS for me. No regrets at all.

cajuncowboy654
07-06-2020, 08:24 PM
Just got the power watchdog portable and so far have liked it, really like the ability to have alerts sent to my phone if a problem arises.

Only used it in one trip so far but was nice to be able to monitor our power from the phone

LewisB
07-07-2020, 06:32 AM
We like the Surge Guard #34951 and the remote #40301. It is portable so you can check the power at a pedestal before you unhook and then monitor your power usage with the remote. Never had a problem with it walking away and have used it on 2 different toy haulers.

Available at the following location - they have great videos and excellent customer service.

https://www.technorv.com/surge-guard-electrical-protection/

Logan X
07-07-2020, 07:23 AM
I use the hardwired EMS from Progressive Industries. I have been totally happy with it. There are several nice things about having it hardwired. You never have to think about it, it is just doing it’s thing automatically. Also, you don’t have to figure out how to secure it so no one steals it from the pedestal.

Bill-2020
07-07-2020, 08:44 AM
We like the Surge Guard #34951 and the remote #40301. It is portable so you can check the power at a pedestal before you unhook and then monitor your power usage with the remote. Never had a problem with it walking away and have used it on 2 different toy haulers.

Available at the following location - they have great videos and excellent customer service.

We used this this brand and set up, except a 30amp model. The wireless monitor is a real plus in our opinion. I got the EMS on Amazon and the monitor at CW on sale for less than Amazon had it.

STJ
07-12-2020, 10:10 AM
I was surprised to see my post in the keystone forums news letter. So sorry for not replying to everyone but it has been A lot getting ready for a big trip to S. D. For 65 days, ended up getting the Camco Power Defender 50amp. I went with this one for the auto power reset function after an interruption and because it is lockable. It says it is weather proof but I still see campers covering the power pedestal, is this done for the rain or just to keep an expensive item out of site?

sourdough
07-12-2020, 10:41 AM
I was surprised to see my post in the keystone forums news letter. So sorry for not replying to everyone but it has been A lot getting ready for a big trip to S. D. For 65 days, ended up getting the Camco Power Defender 50amp. I went with this one for the auto power reset function after an interruption and because it is lockable. It says it is weather proof but I still see campers covering the power pedestal, is this done for the rain or just to keep an expensive item out of site?

If you happened to see mine it's got a black bag over it (first time) because the yahoo that installed the 50A plug put it in upside down! Had to remove the cover of the plug to get clearance for my EMS cable to go straight up. Didn't want rain to get into any of it.

Northofu1
07-12-2020, 10:45 AM
Anything that goes beyond simple power surge protection whether it be hardwired or portable will help protect your trailer.

HDroadglide
07-12-2020, 02:29 PM
I also use a surge guard for 12 years now on three different 40 ft toy haulers.

Folkie
07-12-2020, 05:05 PM

We use the 30 Amp version of this and have been very happy. I especially like the remote monitor so I can check how many amps we are drawing before turning on things like the microwave.

mjeronimo
07-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Most surge protectors can’t handle lightning, best to unplug during lightning storm.

azchoco
07-12-2020, 08:05 PM
STJ, I have 5th wheel 39' with 2 15K a/c units. I have a Progressive EMS model EMS-PT50C that does everything you assy you want and it portable rather than hard wired. Love it. My camper has the inCommand system, so I want to protect it and any other part of our unit. It certainly gives me piece of mind we are protected.

crk112
07-14-2020, 09:49 AM
I'll toss in another vote for the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c

This is what I have and I'm confident it has saved us more than once. It's hard-wired so I never even have to think about it... it's always there. Also never have to worry about it walking away. It has a built-in 2 minute timer to protect your A/C from short-cycling in case the power fails briefly (if your A/C has a built-in short-cycle timer (which mine does NOT) then you can set your EMS to a shorter 15-second timer or so).