PDA

View Full Version : Energy Drink Anyone?

wiredgeorge
06-24-2020, 08:31 AM
I slept through chemistry (and most of my classes while in school) but this stuff looks real to my untrained eye. Whatcha think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX9jZ_w_AmQ

notanlines
06-24-2020, 08:57 AM
I see shades of David Copperfield (the best of the best) or Michael Cabonaro hanging in the background! Professional wrestling is real, too!

travelin texans
06-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Scary that so many drink & are hooked on that stuff if all that is actually what it can do!!!

Chris P
06-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Voodoo magic! Really a hammer ? Rolled up bread?

Pull Toy
06-24-2020, 02:01 PM
My Bourbon Manhattan is so much safer! LOL

One with dinner, one with the fire ring. I don't expect it to do magic, but somehow it does!

Good Luck,

chuckster57
06-24-2020, 03:15 PM
So glad I only drink water, Gatorade and country time 1/2 and 1/2......At work.

At home is a different story but if all that stuff is real all I can say is WOW!!! Glad I’m not drinking the koolaid.

Sarge2
06-24-2020, 04:14 PM
All I can say is WOW....:confused:

Fishsizzle
06-26-2020, 09:49 PM
Mt Dew Zero with Bombay Sapphire mmmmmmm

tech740
06-26-2020, 11:12 PM
The balloon one is actually two balloons. A smaller one inside the larger. That way they cut off the bottom of the larger and the smaller one expands when you blow in it. The partial larger one moves up the inflated balloon and you don't see it. I haven't looked into the others yet but my guess it that they are all side of hand type things.

That said those things are still horrible for you. When I started in EMS I would go through about 3 a day. After 9 years of that I stopped drinking them. Been just over a year now.

flybouy
06-27-2020, 05:03 AM
40 yrs ago when we were newly married our nextdoor neighbor was a motion picture photographer for the federal gov't at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD. He said he could make a movie that I would believe, no matter how false or bazaar. That was 40 years ago, before FX, Photoshop or CGI.

As I child I recall the carnival's that would come around every year. They always had a slight of hand "magician" there to take your money. They used to say only believe half of what you read and nothing that you hear. Now days I think only a fool would believe anything you see, hear, or read.

wiredgeorge
06-27-2020, 07:51 AM
40 yrs ago when we were newly married our nextdoor neighbor was a motion picture photographer for the federal gov't at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD. He said he could make a movie that I would believe, no matter how false or bazaar. That was 40 years ago, before FX, Photoshop or CGI.

As I child I recall the carnival's that would come around every year. They always had a slight of hand "magician" there to take your money. They used to say only believe half of what you read and nothing that you hear. Now days I think only a fool would believe anything you see, hear, or read.

You married your nextdoor neighbor? :whistling:

flybouy
06-27-2020, 09:16 AM
You married your nextdoor neighbor? :whistling:

No, and I said believe nothing you read!:lol:

SummitPond
06-27-2020, 05:27 PM
If you go to YouTube and look at the full title, it reads:

LIFE HACKS WITH ENERGY DRINKS YOU NEVER KNEW EXISTED (Parody Magic Hacks from Rick Lax)

Further down in the comments:

Note that this was created by Rick Lax - self-described "deception expert and magician" and the category is Comedy. Looking forward to the cease and desist he'll likely receive from the drink companies for slander.
Update: he changed the description to include ‘magic hacks.’ Probably a smart move.

As far as energy drinks are concerned, energy is calories, and there aren't than many calories in a serving; a can of Coke has more. Here's a definition per Wikipedia:

An energy drink is a type of drink containing stimulant compounds, usually caffeine, which is marketed as providing mental and physical stimulation. They may or may not be carbonated and may also contain sugar, other sweeteners, herbal extracts, taurine, and amino acids.

So really they should be marketed as stimulant drinks. I'd never make it as an adman.

wiredgeorge
06-28-2020, 04:44 AM
Appreciate your detailed analysis... guess what? Coke is now at it as well.

https://us.coca-cola.com/products/coca-cola-energy/

BTW: Just thought the youtube video funny. I kind of thought that soaking a hammer handle in the stuff ight not melt it or cause bread to be roll-up style.

murfscot
07-02-2020, 08:11 AM
All of these drinks are basically Sugars and Caffeine.
The simple sugars give you an immediate boost / sugar high as they are quickly metabolized. The complex sugars keep the boost / sugar high going for a while, as the body has to break them down to simple sugars, then burn them.
The Caffeine keeps you buzzed while taking the edge off the inevitable crash of the sugar high, once the final complex sugars have all been broken down and burned by the body.

All the other stuff they list is useless marketing fluff or sneaky, healthy sounding forms of Caffeine like "guarana" or same for the sugars like "galactose", "maltose", etc.

If you brew 3 black tea bags in 16 oz of water, then add a few tbsps of white sugar and a few tbps of honey (complex sugar), you have a much healthier and cheaper DIY version of an energy drink. Bourbon is optional.