PDA

View Full Version : Suggested fuse/breaker size given an inverter wattage

mikec557
06-20-2020, 02:21 PM
I'm going to install an inverter into a newly acquired rv. I think on my last rv I may have gone overkill and upsized the inverter to a size far greater than I needed or would have a use for. The realistic goal of use is this: cpap, electric mattress pad, TV and blu-ray player. I guess in theory all three/four may be on at once, but that is extremely unlikely. I want to use an inverter with automatic power transfer because three outlets in the couch are already wired to a loop of romex in the pass through. The three outlets are all on one breaker in the main breaker/fuse box. If I put an inverter with APT at that loop of romex, the three outlets will always be powered whether on shore power or when the inverter is on.

All that said, I would ask what size fuse/breaker should I use given a 600 watt inverter APT, a 1000 watt inverter APT, or a 1500 watt inverter APT?

I can just about guarantee I won't be putting in a 1500 watt inverter but I thought I should add it to the question because one of the three outlets is in the kitchen. The inverter will be located approximately 4-5 feet from the batteries, two Battleborn 100ah lithiums.

Suggestions on the wire gauge size for each would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

chuckster57
06-20-2020, 03:15 PM
What ever inverter you install should include wire size from batteries to inverter based on length. IMO you can’t get too large so going with 2/00 should be good. The 2000W inverters I have installed used a 500A fuse, and once again the inverter should have specific instructions for fuse rating.