PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Keystone Hornet 31BHS

Bob5148
10-24-2011, 08:45 AM
It's time to winterize my camper. I'm certain there is a water heater bypass valve on this model but I have no idea where it is. I've looked in all the "logical" places with no luck. I bought in a private sale situation and have no manual but they tend to not be much help anyway. Any ideas where I may find this valve?

Festus2
10-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Not sure about that model, but many of these valves are located directly behind the HW tank - on the interior side. Locate your tank and you may have to remove a small panel to get access to the bypass valve. If you can't find it there, perhaps a member who has that model will point you in the right direction.

Angie121
10-24-2011, 08:31 PM
You can always call Keystone at 574-535-2100 ask for Hornet customer service and they will be able to answer all your questions.

Good Luck!
Angie

SteveC7010
10-25-2011, 04:18 AM
It's time to winterize my camper. I'm certain there is a water heater bypass valve on this model but I have no idea where it is. I've looked in all the "logical" places with no luck. I bought in a private sale situation and have no manual but they tend to not be much help anyway. Any ideas where I may find this valve?

The water heater bypass is almost always on the backside of the water heater. Depending on the model and cabinetry of your unit, the backside of the WH is accessible from an interior cabinet or access panel, or from the basement (if it's a fiver), usually by removing one or more access panels.

Here is a link to a descriptive file about bypasses with pictures and drawings. (While the file is stored on the Sunline website, it is 100% applicable to any brand RV because they all use the same water heaters.)

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=423

P.S. On my last TT, the backside of the WH was accessible from an outside compartment only with some serious contortions on my part. Or, you could lift up the mattress on the main bed exposing a large access hole specifically placed there by the factory to reach the bypass valves. The moral of that story is that RV manufacturers don't always place things in logical places so we owners must think outside the box when looking for them.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_22107_0_ab4aa13ec086b99aa9f1eb30fcb83272.jpg

hankpage
10-25-2011, 04:39 AM

Bob, This picture shows the bypass (this model has two valves .. yours has probably only one) On my Cougar I can reach it by removing a kitchen drawer. Like others have mentioned some you need to remove a panel. Good luck, Hank

http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/48950/2735553250047821328S500x500Q85.jpg

Bob5148
10-29-2011, 11:57 AM
I appreciate you guys taking the time to post the pics. It helped me know what I was looking for when I found it! Mine is in the rear storage area below the bunks. I had to remove 4 screws to get to it. Easy really. Just was confused I guess. Rookie mistake! Thanks again!

hankpage
10-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Just was confused I guess. Rookie mistake! Thanks again!

Asking questions is never a mistake here. We were all rookies at one time. Looking forward to springtime, Hank