PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Slides...Bent Frame!

anthonbloom
06-18-2020, 11:44 AM
Had the suspension inspected and lubed on my 2012 318 SAB 5th wheel and set off for California from New Brunswick , Canada. At our first RVing stop 3 rd night on the road I noticed the back axle was offset by a few inches. The suspension looked ok and I figured that the axle had not been correctly positioned when it was dropped to lubricate the balancer and hanger bolts. Then the main slide didn't want to retract, pushed it back and next time it jammed halfway. 10 days on the road and the slide was getting worse and worse. Arriving in CA the slide was out 4" at the front and was tight at the top rear corner and deployed with much shoving and juddering. The rushed journey home due to the virus panic had the other slide opposite doing the same thing and I had damage to the inside of a rear tire. Stopped in OK and had the rear axle dropped and found the frame was bowed and the spring hangers bent. For $1000.00 I was able to tow home but now it's in the shop being straightened out.
Once the snow was gone I was able to get a good look underneath and I was shocked with what I saw. No doubt the front end of the rear spring resting on the connecting rod for the slide after the shackles had worn through explained some of the noises during slide deployment. The frame between the axles was bowed out about 4" and contacting the connecting rod, the bottom of the I beam was split in two places and two web trusses bracing the frame had split along their lengths, detatched from the frame and were rattling around on the black plastic undercovering. I'm hoping that repairing the frame will solve the slide problems which I think we're due to the openings wracking out of square due to the frame damage.
I am certain that I didn't drop the trailer from a great height nor did I transport any circus elephants so I am having trouble explaining the damage during "normal use". I have 50,000 miles on the trailer, had the left balancer and shackles replaced 10,000 miles ago then the unlubricateable bolts wore through the sleeves made the mounting holes oval allowing the spring eye to contact a tire and cut it. I tow at about 60mph, slow down for bumps and rough roads, avoid road hazards where possible and service the suspension before long hauls. I had the leaf springs break...all four leaves on my 2010 318 SAB nearly losing the rear axle before trading for this one with bigger wheels and heavier axles. It seems to me that this trailer is not engineered to withstand long distance hauling and I am very disappointed and concerned that the trailer will cause a serious accident if it fails again. I think this trailer is underengineered for it's intended purpose.

Northofu1
06-18-2020, 12:13 PM
I think this trailer is underengineered for it's intended purpose.

Personally, I think most of them are.
After my 10 day funfest in Dayton OH last August I understood that.
4 yr old mono leaf spring snapped in half, after getting new tires, then added new springs and added HD schackles and wet bolts, I felt like I should have added 5 thousand lb axles and leaf springs and then realized that unit wasn't worth it.
Another member has spent a butt load of money on here for a unit similar to mine just to get it to where it might last (?)
I've already added some components to this new to me 2015 Cougar, that makes me feel a little safer.
Sorry to hear for your troubles. Time to buy tents?
Good luck in the future
P.S. Loved camping in NB in 2018, Kouchibouguac, Miscou light house, Fundy, gorgeous.