PDA

View Full Version : HELP--Replace a Dometic "soft touch" thermostat????

markp
06-15-2020, 08:04 AM
We took our 2018 Bullett 248RKS out for its 1st rip with us.
all went well but... The PO told me the thermostat was possessed. He was right. the thing would change temp, mode or turn off just by waking by it, I would love to replace it with a more conventional style but am being told it cant be done. The A/C on the roof has some kind of control board that requires this thermostat. Any input??

sourdough
06-15-2020, 08:27 AM
You were told exactly what Dometic told me. I am assuming you have the "capacitive touch" thermostat. I went through 4 of them. Seems (per Dometic) that had a "bad batch" of them sometime around 2018, and yes, they are possessed. Contact Dometic, explain the situation and see if they won't send you one free of charge. They sent me one but after I had already purchased 3 (about $40 if I recall).

NH_Bulldog
06-15-2020, 04:47 PM
One thing that I tried is to pull the cover off and there are little bits of foam inside the cover where the contacts slip into it. Pop them out and turn them around and lightly press them back in, then reinstall the cover. It improved the performance of mine, but no guarantees.

Customer1
06-15-2020, 05:08 PM
I have the capacitive touch and don't like it. It is not a well designed device. I've been wondering if it could be replaced with a conventional digital stat.

Mine works okay, I just don't like the thing. I have read many comments where people contact Dometic and get a free replacement so you have a good chance at getting one.

sourdough
06-15-2020, 05:45 PM
One thing that I tried is to pull the cover off and there are little bits of foam inside the cover where the contacts slip into it. Pop them out and turn them around and lightly press them back in, then reinstall the cover. It improved the performance of mine, but no guarantees.

I took those foam inserts and moved them, turned them over, modified their lengths etc. They are just junk. Unfortunately that is what Dometic is making and what Keystone is buying. I will say after I got some (one?) from a new batch it did not fail. This new trailer has them and so far they operate pretty well. Not sure they can actually tell the temp (I have multiple thermometers in the RV) but sort of close....at times.

ChuckS
06-23-2020, 12:56 PM
The Dometic thermostats use CANBUS channel to communicate back and forth between roof mounted AC unit and furnace. The link between thermostat and AC/Furnace is the control module... gateway

markp
06-23-2020, 01:05 PM
I have exchanged emails with Shelley at Dometic. I assume she is sending a new faceplate since she ask what color mine cover was and for an actual shipping address. I will report back!

Oraven
07-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Where is the thermostat located in a keystone R 26 campfire edition. Location of controls diagram?
Thank You
Oraven

JRTJH
07-01-2020, 01:59 PM
Where is the thermostat located in a keystone R 26 campfire edition. Location of controls diagram?
Thank You
Oraven

Which thermostat are you asking about? The A/C-furnace thermostat, the water heater thermostat, the oven thermostat or the refrigerator thermostat?

Not trying to be a "wise-a**" just wondering, if you've purchased the trailer and done the PDI, didn't the dealership orient you to how to use the equipment? If you've forgotten, what help do you need?

Oraven
07-01-2020, 02:34 PM
I purchased this trailer 18 months ago I’ve never used it. Forgot details 71 near term memory not as good as it used to be.
I need thermostat locations for furnace air conditioning water heater?
Best Regards
Ric

JRTJH
07-01-2020, 05:41 PM
If the trailer is 18 months old, then the model year is a 2018 or 2019 ?? If so there is no adjustable thermostat on the water heater.

If you have a conventional thermostat, it will be mounted on the wall, probably near the center of the trailer (front to back) and about chest high. It will look something like one of these photos. There are settings for A/C, Heat/furn and Fan. It scrolls through with the UP/DOWN buttons on both sides of the LCD screen

I don't believe you have the InCommand system, but if you do, there is a different process.

sourdough
07-01-2020, 06:00 PM
I purchased this trailer 18 months ago I’ve never used it. Forgot details 71 near term memory not as good as it used to be.
I need thermostat locations for furnace air conditioning water heater?
Best Regards
Ric

Oraven, I have watched 3 walk thru videos trying to determine the location of your thermostat. Not knowing year etc. here is a link the model trailer you have. At the 3:54 mark I believe I see the AC/furnace thermostat behind the salesman's shoulder on the wall...I hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1J79424qp0

Oraven
07-01-2020, 08:37 PM
Thanks Guys I’ll check out in the morning
Later Ric

Bill-2020
07-22-2020, 07:10 PM
Is this the thermostat that you're saying has the problems (or had). Reason I ask is that the DW would like to look at a wall or exterior cabinet panel to change the setting rather than look up (she's had several surgeries on her neck and spine)

Bill

sourdough
07-22-2020, 07:27 PM
That appears to be the Dometic capacitive discharge thermostat that I've had so much trouble with.

Bill-2020
07-23-2020, 02:15 AM
That appears to be the Dometic capacitive discharge thermostat that I've had so much trouble with.

Ok, thanks. We’ll steer clear of it.

JRTJH
07-23-2020, 08:24 AM

Depending on the control box interface in the air conditioner (which also controls the furnace) you may not be able to 'steer clear of that type thermostat". Do your homework before spending a lot of money on a replacement that won't work with your HVAC system. Many places will not allow a return of "used electrical equipment".

sourdough
07-23-2020, 08:41 AM

As John mentioned, steering clear may not be an option. When trying to get a thermostat that would actually work, and get rid of the Dometic CT unit, I was told by Dometic it was the only one that would work with my AC unit.... So, do your homework before just buying something in the hopes that it will work.

Bill-2020
07-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Understood. I’m looking to possibly change roof units and by having a thermostat on the wall it makes the adjustment of the temps easier for the DW. We’ve gotten along without one for this long, we may just stick with the ceiling type controls.

sourdough
07-23-2020, 08:53 AM
I've always had really good luck with Dometic ACs and like them. They lost their way with the CT thermostat and it is just a bad design IMO. If you replace the unit try to see what options there are if you have a different control module for a different thermostat installed. Don't know if there is such a thing...or maybe a Coleman if you're going replacement. Didn't really like their units years ago but haven't had one in a long time. I also haven't read constantly of thermostat failures with them. Just something to think about - and yes, a wall thermostat is more convenient and more accurate IMO.

flybouy
07-23-2020, 08:56 AM
Understood. I’m looking to possibly change roof units and by having a thermostat on the wall it makes the adjustment of the temps easier for the DW. We’ve gotten along without one for this long, we may just stick with the ceiling type controls.

Bill I think you may have less confusion/better answers if you start a new post and mention that you are looking to add a thermostat to a non-ducted a/c unit. From the comments I think some are thinking you want to change out an existing thermostat.

I think one challenge will be getting the wire for a t'stat over to the wall.

Bill-2020
07-23-2020, 08:59 AM
Any personal thoughts/experience on the Penguin II versus the Brisk II? I’m reading the Penguin may actually be somewhat louder inside, but what a/c unit isn’t (non-ducted). Any noise level that’s lower is a bonus for her.

JRTJH
07-23-2020, 09:32 AM
Any personal thoughts/experience on the Penguin II versus the Brisk II? I’m reading the Penguin may actually be somewhat louder inside, but what a/c unit isn’t (non-ducted). Any noise level that’s lower is a bonus for her.

The design of the Penguin makes it inherently louder than the Brisk-aire. The reason is the size of the airbox. The Penguin, because it's a smaller unit, has a smaller airbox. That causes the input (warm) air and the discharge (cooled) air to flow through the airbox at a faster velocity. Fast rushing air is "louder" than "just rushing air" which is louder than "slow air"... Think of a 20" box fan. Turn it on low, it moves a little air and is relatively quiet. Turn it on high and it moves more air. Stand in front of it and you can hear the air and the fan blades "rushing through the air". The faster the blades and the air move, the louder the fan "discharged air". It's the same with the Penguin vs the Brisk-Aire. This is a case where, even in an RV where size is a factor, bigger is better....

Bill-2020
07-23-2020, 09:35 AM
Bill I think you may have less confusion/better answers if you start a new post and mention that you are looking to add a thermostat to a non-ducted a/c unit. From the comments I think some are thinking you want to change out an existing thermostat.

I think one challenge will be getting the wire for a t'stat over to the wall.

I’ve looked at the thermostat wire scenario and believe it’s doable over into a into a cabinet area. You’re correct, a new post would put more eyes on the subject. I’m also considering a different roof unit and if that becomes the case (possible warranty issue at hand currently, waiting on answers), then a thermostat ~might~ be possible for us.

Bill-2020
07-23-2020, 09:39 AM
Thanks John, Danny and Marshal. Enjoy the knowledge you all have here. (The Penguin noise is understandable). We’ll stay the course with the Brisk.

flybouy
07-23-2020, 09:39 AM
I’ve looked at the thermostat wire scenario and believe it’s doable over into a into a cabinet area. You’re correct, a new post would put more eyes on the subject. I’m also considering a different roof unit and if that becomes the case (possible warranty issue at hand currently, waiting on answers), then a thermostat ~might~ be possible for us.

I can empathize with your wife. I've had 7 cervical spine surgeries myself. Not only is looking up problematic for me so is reaching overhead. Hope you find what you need to make the conversion or replacement.

sourdough
07-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Thanks John, Danny and Marshal. Enjoy the knowledge you all have here. (The Penguin noise is understandable). We’ll stay the course with the Brisk.

If you are looking for "less" noise - whatever that is with an RV AC.:D The Brisk Air II is a bit more quiet. We had a 15k Brisk Air and had a Penguin II added before we took possession of the last trailer. The Brisk Air was ducted and the Penguin was not and in the bedroom The Penguin was louder due to a few factors so if going that route keep that in mind. For us the Penguin was fine because we like "noise" when sleeping; heck, at the s&b we have 3 (yes THREE) fans around our bed just humming away year round. For the past few decades I have been a very light sleeper and the slightest noise wakes me like a shot. 3 fans = lots of "white noise". Puppy and the alarm system can/will alert me if needed.

Good luck on getting the right unit w/thermostat. Keep in mind that the Dometic CT thermostat appears to still be problematic. It's already acting up in this trailer and folks with new units on another forum are reporting the same issues.....

Bill-2020
07-25-2020, 11:20 PM
As John mentioned, steering clear may not be an option. When trying to get a thermostat that would actually work, and get rid of the Dometic CT unit, I was told by Dometic it was the only one that would work with my AC unit.... So, do your homework before just buying something in the hopes that it will work.

Danny,
I came across this while on the search for the micro-air a/c soft start unit earlier this morning. I thought of you and your problems with the Dometic thermostat. This may or may not be an option for you and others. (or maybe this is a BTDT moment?)

https://www.microair.net/products/easytouch-rv-thermostat?variant=32199143555156#CompatChart

sourdough
07-26-2020, 08:18 AM
Danny,
I came across this while on the search for the micro-air a/c soft start unit earlier this morning. I thought of you and your problems with the Dometic thermostat. This may or may not be an option for you and others. (or maybe this is a BTDT moment?)

https://www.microair.net/products/easytouch-rv-thermostat?variant=32199143555156#CompatChart

Thanks Bill! That thermostat looks very interesting. I'm thinking I'll give one a whirl when I get back to give it a try. When I've been able to put it through its paces I'll report back.

sourdough
10-20-2020, 05:52 PM
Thanks Bill! That thermostat looks very interesting. I'm thinking I'll give one a whirl when I get back to give it a try. When I've been able to put it through its paces I'll report back.

I am resurrecting this thread for an update. The Micro Air thermostat has received a lot of conversation since it came out earlier this year (best recollection). As one of thousands of folks that has had non stop trouble with the Dometic CT thermostat, replacing them over and over plus carrying a spare at all time.....all I can say is WOW!

I'm on several forums and these things have been installed by others and to the person of all I'm aware of they are very happy - count me in.

Got mine some time ago but haven't had my trailer (in for repairs). Got the trailer back several days ago and the first thing I did was install the Micro Air. Easy install...very easy. Works like a charm. What you don't realize is that it operates more intelligently that the Dometic thermostats ie; run full power, go to low fan, high fan, compressor on/off...shut off....turn on - a never ending cycle. The Micro Air? Turn it on and you just don't know the AC is running. Yes, you hear it in the background but all that kick in, kick down, turn off, turn on is gone - lovely!

Anyway, I bought one to replace the stat for the main unit but I will now replace the one for the back AC - far too many positives not to. Now....I've updated as I said I would. :)

Bill-2020
10-20-2020, 07:04 PM
I am resurrecting this thread for an update. The Micro Air thermostat has received a lot of conversation since it came out earlier this year (best recollection). As one of thousands of folks that has had non stop trouble with the Dometic CT thermostat, replacing them over and over plus carrying a spare at all time.....all I can say is WOW!

I'm on several forums and these things have been installed by others and to the person of all I'm aware of they are very happy - count me in.

Got mine some time ago but haven't had my trailer (in for repairs). Got the trailer back several days ago and the first thing I did was install the Micro Air. Easy install...very easy. Works like a charm. What you don't realize is that it operates more intelligently that the Dometic thermostats; run full power, go to low fan, high fan, compressor on/off...shut off....turn on - a never ending cycle. The Micro Air? Turn it on and you just don't know the AC is running. Yes, you hear it in the background but all that kick in, kick down, turn off, turn on is gone - lovely!

Anyway, I bought one to replace the stat for the main unit but I will now replace the one for the back AC - far too many positives not to. Now....I've updated as I said I would. :)

Excellent news, Danny! Thanks for sharing and updating this. You would think that Dometic would take note and redesign. Meanwhile... Micro Air does its thing and sounds like it does it right. I know the Micro Air A/C Easy Start module I installed works very well.

sourdough
10-20-2020, 07:30 PM
Yes Bill, you would think that Dometic would take note and redesign...by now. This has been going on since they starting using the CT thermostat. Now, 7-8+ years later, the CT thermostat is still defective, and Dometic is more than aware of it. On this 2020 we started having the same old "what the heck is going on with the AC/furnace"? Sent Dometic an email about the new unit malfunctioning and the response? "We're aware of the issue and will be addressing it". ?? They did say they would send a new unit...as they do repeatedly to anyone with one. It's silly IMO.

Summergirl
10-20-2020, 08:31 PM
This has been on my radar when the trailer comes back.

ChuckS
10-21-2020, 05:06 AM
If it was mine with that capacitive touch thermostat it would be gone and replaced with the unit from Micro Air...

https://www.microair.net/products/easytouch-rv-thermostat?variant=32199143555156

Bill-2020
10-21-2020, 05:10 AM
If it was mine with that capacitive touch thermostat it would be gone and replaced with the unit from Micro Air...

https://www.microair.net/products/easytouch-rv-thermostat?variant=32199143555156

That’s exactly what he already did.

ChuckS
10-21-2020, 05:21 AM
They make pretty good stuff

sourdough
10-21-2020, 07:49 AM
They make pretty good stuff

I have to agree. From everything I've read and those I've talked to that have installed one, they are all as pleased as I am. It's hard to believe it can change the operation so much - I just thought that's the way RV ACs operated (I've never owned a Coleman Mach). Apparently the thermostat can drive your stuff a little batty. I've not used it on the heat pump or furnace because it's been too warm but I expect to see the same benefits. Another positive IMO is the ability to set a temp and the stat will keep it there whether it has to heat or cool; wifi; bluetooth - pretty cool. Wish I had done it years ago.

jsb5717
10-21-2020, 09:20 AM
I've seen other threads where folks are having problems with the soft touch Dometic thermostats having a mind of their own.

I saw this in a different forum. Maybe it's a solution. So far reports are very good.

https://www.microair.net/products/easytouch-rv-thermostat?variant=32199143587924

Sarge2
10-21-2020, 01:25 PM
My 2020 Passport 2600 came with the Dometic Capacitive touch control... until I was advised by this forum, on what the settings needed to be at (specifically blower on Auto) I had the AC blower and furnace blower both on at the same time...and didn't know why and General RV was of zero assistance..
My only complaint now is that it isn't even close to accurate temperature wise.. if you set this thing to 68 it will cook you out of the trailer...you dial it down to 62 and it shuts down but then it seems that you have to bump it back up to turn it back on to heat back up... so it's really an unreliable thermostat... Also isn't reliable on AC either.... doesn't hold a temp there either...

Sarge2
10-21-2020, 01:30 PM
That’s exactly what he already did.

Is this Micro Aire unit a plug and play type of replacement for the Dometic one I have in my passport?

jsb5717
10-21-2020, 01:33 PM
Is this Micro Aire unit a plug and play type of replacement for the Dometic one I have in my passport?

If you have one of the models shown on their website and select the corresponding replacement model then I believe it is.

sourdough
10-21-2020, 02:48 PM
Depending on what you have it might not be "exactly" plug and play (thinking actual plug). On the Dometic CT thermostats that I have had they are all hard wired - but extremely simple - 3 wires. It takes all of 5 minutes to replace them OR put the MicroAir in their place. And, it makes the Dometic operation look like something out of the 20s.

Sarge2
10-21-2020, 03:41 PM
Thank you both for the quick responses...
I think once we start to use the trailer to actually "travel" after retirement, then I will probably switch to the MicroAir unit... sounds like a far more dependable unit...
I should have read down a bit on the web site link as I see they have units to replace most of those other Dometic thermostats...
Thank you again

Sarge2
10-21-2020, 03:46 PM
This is the control on my wall...

sourdough
10-21-2020, 03:50 PM
That is the Dometic CT thermostat. You can pull that faceplate off and actually manipulate it with your fingers in the event of a malfunction...:confused::facepalm:

Sarge2
10-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Thats sort of scary.... :ermm: