PDA

View Full Version : Microwave or Convection

SenseiBrian
06-13-2020, 03:44 PM
I have a 2020 Outback 335 CG. My wife and I are sure that we were told it came with a convection microwave oven. We can’t locate the manual. Looking at YouTube videos for it to be a convection oven there should be a button to selection convection. I don’t see it. It does not have a spinning table as a typical microwave has but the settings are like those of a microwave. What do I have and how do I get a manual for it?

chuckster57
06-13-2020, 03:50 PM
The make/model will be on the microwave door frame. Post it and we can probably find a manual.

SenseiBrian
06-13-2020, 04:04 PM
High Point model 1905M. Next to that series is 000301.

Thanks.

sourdough
06-13-2020, 04:53 PM
I'm with you. Looked for a while and nothing on a manual. Not much about, or favorable, about High Pointe. Their internet presence is sadly abysmal.

I've watched 3 third party reviews of the trailer and all said it had a microwave and not convection. The unit didn't look like a convection in them. Unfortunately High Pointe apparently doesn't think enough about their products to support them.....sort of like Furrion I guess.

chuckster57
06-13-2020, 04:54 PM
I’m looking and not finding. Can you take a pic of the touch panel and the interior including the tag.

SenseiBrian
06-13-2020, 05:13 PM
Thank you very much.

bobbecky
06-13-2020, 05:16 PM
This is what is listed on Trekwood. https://www.trekwood.com/parts-search.php?model=Outback&year=2020&category=Appliances&subcategory=Microwave&search-keywords=Item+%23+%2F+Keyword
Neither one is listed as anything but a microwave unit.

SenseiBrian
06-13-2020, 05:18 PM
I appreciate you looking for me.

ajlight
06-13-2020, 05:25 PM
We have the same microwave. It is a microwave without the turntable. Could not find any information on it either. DW likes it a lot!

chuckster57
06-13-2020, 05:29 PM
I appreciate you looking for me.

I’ll look some more tomorrow on my ‘puter, I’m using my phone now.

bobbecky
06-13-2020, 06:15 PM
For what it’s worth, it’s not too difficult to replace these things and then you can get exactly what you want. We just recently went in the other direction, had a combination unit, never used the convection mode, and the unit died after almost eight years full timing, and we replaced it with a microwave only unit. This Samsung unit has more power than the original unit and we are much happier with it. Got the new unit from Bestbuy and had it delivered. I had to install it due to the virus restrictions.

SenseiBrian
06-13-2020, 06:56 PM
I can’t see how to attach a pic on this forum. Based on other replies mine is a microwave. Thanks.

SenseiBrian
06-13-2020, 06:59 PM
I will have to contact Camping World. First time out in this unit and we have a few issues. ��

SenseiBrian
06-13-2020, 07:00 PM
I only have my cell on this trip and this is getting old. Thanks for your help.

chuckster57
06-13-2020, 07:00 PM
No problem. There are a couple of different ways to attach photos to a post. Search “attaching photo” and you should get a few different threads that explain it.

sourdough
06-13-2020, 07:18 PM
I only have my cell on this trip and this is getting old. Thanks for your help.

Did you look into the unit on the PDI to affirm a convection unit? Seems you are just concerned/worried/disappointed that you thought you would have a convection? Folks are trying to help but to look for help and then say "this is getting old"....? Hoping you get the answers you need but the unit itself will tell you if it's convection or not right on the panel.

Bill-2020
06-13-2020, 08:32 PM
Did you look into the unit on the PDI to affirm a convection unit? Seems you are just concerned/worried/disappointed that you thought you would have a convection? Folks are trying to help but to look for help and then say "this is getting old"....? Hoping you get the answers you need but the unit itself will tell you if it's convection or not right on the panel.

Sounds like he’s not liking having to communicate on the forum using only his cell.

You’re not alone, Brian. We were told the new Passport we ordered was now coming with the combo unit. Nope, it came with a standard microwave. And it’s now having issues with the number display, some segments of the digits have failed. Hang in there, you’ll get things worked out.

JRTJH
06-14-2020, 04:49 AM
Keystone's "mantra" is that they're the biggest RV manufacturer and they buy the most components of any RV company. They say "This gives us the opportunity to buy in bulk at highly discounted rates"..

Most people look at that phrase as meaning: We can buy 1000 microwaves at a reduced price over other manufacturers who only buy 100 microwaves.

In reality, IMHO, what it really means is: We can force most manufacturers to produce a cheaper product by buying so many at a time....

Sort of like the "WalMart influence": We'll negotiate with any manufacturer to build a product that meets our price requirements, even if it means building it without the features that have been standard in the line for years....

As an example, back when GE was making the "Space Saver" appliance line, the ones that hung under the top cabinets in the kitchen to save counter space, we bought a replacement coffee maker from WalMart when ours failed. The first day we used it, we came home to a burned up coffee maker. Why??? WalMart's version did not include the automatic off feature. In fact, when I took it back and checked all of the appliances, none of them had any of the "safety off features" that were standard on all GE Space Saver appliances if bought from other stores. That's how WalMart was able to sell them $10 cheaper than Target or KMart….

It's the same with Keystone. Buy in bulk, buy cheap, force our price structure... The result: Cheaper, "quality free" components..... YMMV

flybouy
06-14-2020, 05:42 AM
That's how a lot of "high volume" big box stores offer the "we'll beat anyone's prices on the same item". When they negotiate a deal to purchase tens of thousands of units they also negotiate a "proprietary" model number.

To the OP, it's been my observation that in non premium line campers the combo microwave/convection oven is used in Luo of a conventional propane oven. Odds are if you have a "regular" gas oven you will not have the combo microwave.

Bill-2020
06-14-2020, 05:55 AM
That’s really too bad. The Jayco I had exhibited some of the same lack of quality. All this did was kickstart me to make it right, the way it should be to begin with. The positive that comes from this is that you learn a lot about your investment(s) and how to maintain/repair them. And you thought you were going camping when you bought the (first) camper years ago!

flybouy
06-14-2020, 06:12 AM
Sounds like he’s not liking having to communicate on the forum using only his cell.

You’re not alone, Brian. We were told the new Passport we ordered was now coming with the combo unit. Nope, it came with a standard microwave. And it’s now having issues with the number display, some segments of the digits have failed. Hang in there, you’ll get things worked out.

A lot of people on here have reported that their told them that they have "walk-able roofs" when a call to Keystone reported opposite. The dealer's information is only as good as the information that they are given from the manufacturer until they find out otherwise, or the salesman is ill informed and just trying to sell you a camper. In either scenario it's the customer that's left dazed and confused.

Bill-2020
06-14-2020, 06:39 AM
Have you seen the available cooking height inside the gas oven?! The ovens are useless except to bake something short, like a TV dinner or half a tater! I’d rather not have the oven and get more storage. Just my two pennies on that subject, which is now nearly off topic. Oops!

JRTJH
06-14-2020, 06:45 AM
This is "just an observation" that I've come to realize is much more prevalent today than it was, even 10 years ago....

Some people refer to their trailer as a "camper" while some refer to it as "an RV" and some refer to it as "our Cougar, or Hideout or the Montana"...

The point I'm making is people who refer to it as a "camper" and then expect it to have all the amenities of their house, capable of using "everything while boondocking just like at home" are likely to be unhappy with most entry level trailers and even with some "luxury, full time units"...

Some examples: As manufacturers "blurred the lines between "camping and RVing", they claimed that their "camper" worked to provide all the comforts of home.... Then along came "smaller trucks and cars, so they "reduced the weight of trailers. Then along came a recession, so they reduced the cost of trailers, then along came increased demand for more "bling" so they added a solar plug on the side, then along came confusion on how to operate the TV antenna booster, so along came KEYTV, then along came the desire to watch TV even in the forest, far away from any city, so along came the satellite TV connection... The list goes on and on....

IMHO, people who expect to have all the "perks" of home when in a national park "boondocking site" are not going to be able to function in a "small, entry level, basic trailer" without packing along extra batteries, extra generators, investing in "high dollar solar systems" and even then, "it's hot inside our trailer because we only have one air conditioner"... Then comes the "ultra light durability issues, laminated floors, bent frames, uncomfortable mattresses, bad tires loaded at their maximum capacity, poor insulation, single pane windows, cheap microwaves, and, most important (at least to me) is poorly informed/inexperienced purchasers of these products.....

When you add it all up, most "unhappy campers" aren't really "campers" they are "people expecting a small home with all of the "home comforts" that function like the house we just left....

RV'ing is a lifestyle of multiple compromises, but few salesmen will even approach that subject. They focus on "you can tow anything on the lot" and "everything works in the campground, just like in your house at home".... Few of those claims are actually true when travelling with an "RV" whether it's considered a "camper" or a "mobile house with everything we have at home"....

flybouy
06-14-2020, 07:02 AM
John, I witnessed the same progression in the late 1980's thru the 1990's with the boating industry. First it was the early "baby boomers" buying boats to live on. The 10 meter plus boats were fly off the lots until a few months of "living" in a "walk-in closet" sized space lead to frustration and often divorce.

Then the DINKs (Dual Income No Kids crowd) were buying large power boats with dot com money as quick as they were being built. Many took the boats out once, got scared of handling it and realized they couldn't leave site of shore due to lack of water and waste storage and the boats remained tied to the dock. We would leave our slip with many of these folks partying on their boats and return 2 days later and the party continued in the same spot.

Gas crunch, boats got lighter and more vulnerable to damage and people complained. And so it goes. These industries rely on "disposable" income and often a repeat customer is not their primary customer so they are not considered as heavily as "what can we do to attract" the new customer. So there it is, born are the "1/2 ton tow-able", "arctic or polar pkg", etc. etc.

sourdough
06-14-2020, 08:08 AM

OP, my bad on the highlighted statement. It did not click that using the cell was getting tiresome and I completely understand that. I wouldn't even attempt it because my patience trying to use that little device with my fat fingers would run out before I began. Sorry I misinterpreted.

Bill-2020
06-15-2020, 06:05 AM
We originally bought our first (tiny) camper as an alternative to a hotel room whenever we were (are) evacuated due to a threatening hurricane. This is a “when” not an “if” situation. We’ve since upgraded to a larger one. In the event the house was damaged or a total loss, we still had something to live in until other arrangements came be made or the the house was repaired or we relocated elsewhere. I’ve evacuated more times than I care to count. FEMA is not an option. We don’t RV and we don’t boondock. If I wanted to boondock I wouldn’t have bought what we’ve owned over the years. As for the amenities of home, it was never expected to be as comfortable in the camper, not even close. We use the camper as a camper in RV parks or state parks with full hookups for the times we want to “get away” and we’re not having to avoid the wrath of Mother Nature. One of grandkids and DW will use the camper to sleep in for a night here and there during cool weather in the backyard. To her, the grandkid, they are camping out and having a blast even if the house is only 10 yards away. The camper is an investment of sorts. It’s not a lifestyle to us.