PDA

View Full Version : Electric Awning open/close sometimes doesn't work

mldpolyglot
06-11-2020, 09:34 AM
Hello!

We have a 2018 Hideout 212lhs and have had problems with the electric awning not working consistently. Sometimes it will open or close all the way - sometimes it will open or close partially - and other times it won't open or close at all. When it gets stuck, my husband has to manually wiggle the roller while I press the Open/Close button inside the camper. Wondering if the awning motor needs to be oiled or if some other maintenance needs to be performed on it so that it doesn't get stuck.

AbHDToyHauler
06-11-2020, 10:17 AM
I am guessing that the connection at the roller motor is loose or bad. Otherwise wiggling it would have no effect.

mldpolyglot
06-11-2020, 03:32 PM
Thanks for your input; we will have a look at the connection to the roller motor.

Eastham
06-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Mine was doing the same thing. The dealer replaced the motor under Warrentee. I haven't had any issues with it since it was replaced.

chuckster57
06-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Hello!

We have a 2018 Hideout 212lhs and have had problems with the electric awning not working consistently. Sometimes it will open or close all the way - sometimes it will open or close partially - and other times it won't open or close at all. When it gets stuck, my husband has to manually wiggle the roller while I press the Open/Close button inside the camper. Wondering if the awning motor needs to be oiled or if some other maintenance needs to be performed on it so that it doesn't get stuck.

Awning motors are sealed units and not considered “serviceable”. Not hard to replace if not under warranty.

mldpolyglot
06-11-2020, 06:16 PM
Thanks Chuckster57 - our unit is a year past the warranty, so we would have to replace the motor ourselves. I will look at purchasing one for our unit.

JRTJH
06-12-2020, 05:17 AM
Thanks Chuckster57 - our unit is a year past the warranty, so we would have to replace the motor ourselves. I will look at purchasing one for our unit.

Check your AWNING warranty (not the Keystone Trailer warranty). Many (maybe even most) RV components and appliances have a 2 or 3 year warranty. Keystone doesn't warranty those items, they only service them during the first year and file the claim for you. After the first year, it's up to you or the service repairman to file the claim....

So, don't just "give up and pay for the motor" until you double check the warranty from either Lippert (if you have a solara awning) or from Dometic (if you have an A&E awning).

Also, even if you're out of warranty, do some "forum research" because there is a "car window motor" that is essentially a "plug and play" exchange for the awning motor in some awnings. Cost: RV awning motor $150 Car window motor: $18....

mldpolyglot
06-18-2021, 09:11 AM
We figured out the problem - the connection from the motor to the awning was loose. My husband opened up the motor housing and secured the connection, and now it's working fine! :cool: