PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts for fulltiming?

sonofcy
06-09-2020, 01:17 PM
What spare parts do you carry? I am going on a 6 month road trip next spring and want to make sure I have replacement parts (within reason) for any part that might break.
I already have
A dinosaur board that works in both the furnace and water heater.
All the parts for the Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II toilet except the ball valve itself.
The usual anode and basic water filter.
Fuses and LED lights
Lots of fasteners, ties, screws etc.

What if anything am I missing?

sourdough
06-09-2020, 01:28 PM
I carry a spare Dometic thermostat, roll of flex mend (scrim) tape, Dicor, a 4x6? sheet of Darco fabric and spray adhesive, all kinds of Robertson screws, spare bearings (haven't checked to see if they fit the new trailer but doubt it), toilet seal (didn't know if that was in what you had), spare water pressure regulator/filters etc., spare bbq pit (:lol:), all kinds of bungee cords, electrical connectors and I'm sure a lot of other stuff out there in my "spare" box.

flybouy
06-09-2020, 01:56 PM
WD40 (mechanic in a can) and duct tape. A hammer and an adjustable wrench, maybe a screwdriver. OK I'm being facetious.

I tend to carry a lot of tools but the only thing I'd add extra for a long trip would be an extra spare for the camper. In this day and age you can pretty much get anything delivered in 2 or 3 days. That doesn't help if you have 2 flat tires (think running over a sharp object) in the middle of nowhere. So a second spare may save you from unhitching, driving hrs to and from a tire supplier. The Xtra spare and a wheel bearing/seal set and not much else that's probable can stop you dead in your tracks.

sonofcy
06-09-2020, 01:58 PM
I carry a spare Dometic thermostat, roll of flex mend (scrim) tape, Dicor, a 4x6? sheet of Darco fabric and spray adhesive, all kinds of Robertson screws, spare bearings (haven't checked to see if they fit the new trailer but doubt it), toilet seal (didn't know if that was in what you had), spare water pressure regulator/filters etc., spare bbq pit (:lol:), all kinds of bungee cords, electrical connectors and I'm sure a lot of other stuff out there in my "spare" box.

Didn't think about a spare thermostat, but if all goes well I will have replaced them with my own by next spring. Spare bearings are a great idea, when I do the Timken upgrade I will get an extra set. I don't think I have any Darco on the trailer but maybe I misunderstand. No need for a BBQ pit, I have a portable Weber. Got all the rest, thanks for the input.

DMK
06-09-2020, 02:04 PM
A spare fresh water demand pump, fuel filter and fuel pump for genny.

sonofcy
06-09-2020, 02:22 PM
WD40 (mechanic in a can) and duct tape. A hammer and an adjustable wrench, maybe a screwdriver. OK I'm being facetious.

I tend to carry a lot of tools but the only thing I'd add extra for a long trip would be an extra spare for the camper. In this day and age you can pretty much get anything delivered in 2 or 3 days. That doesn't help if you have 2 flat tires (think running over a sharp object) in the middle of nowhere. So a second spare may save you from unhitching, driving hrs to and from a tire supplier. The Xtra spare and a wheel bearing/seal set and not much else that's probable can stop you dead in your tracks.

Tools I have aplenty. I was considering an extra spare if we go to alaska but that can't be before 2022 now after our cross Canada trip May 2021 to Sep 2021.
Thanks for your input.

sonofcy
06-09-2020, 02:24 PM
A spare fresh water demand pump, fuel filter and fuel pump for genny.

Got the pump already, no genny like that, I have a pair of Honda 2k's if I ever need more than my solar rig can handle.
Thanks for your input.

wiredgeorge
06-09-2020, 02:31 PM
A bottle jack and jackstand with cribbing. I have a set of duplicate circuit breakers and a bunch of DC fuses, a few extra light bulbs of the type in my camper (all incandescent). A spare coffee maker and a lot of K cups. A few EXTRA extension cords and an extra length of stinky slinky. A spare water filter and a spare filter for my Zero Water pitcher. Lots of toilet paper and more prescription drugs than I think I will need. I also carry some anti-D meds, indigestion pills (my bbq is sometimes requiring these), some allergy pills and a big bottle of 500 mg sleep time aspirins (can recall specific type of drug). A medicine kit is a great idea. I don't carry WD40 but do carry a couple cans of silicon lube. Last thing that comes to mind is RG6 in various lengths for varying placements of our sat dish.

sonofcy
06-09-2020, 03:07 PM
A bottle jack and jackstand with cribbing. I have a set of duplicate circuit breakers and a bunch of DC fuses, a few extra light bulbs of the type in my camper (all incandescent). A spare coffee maker and a lot of K cups. A few EXTRA extension cords and an extra length of stinky slinky. A spare water filter and a spare filter for my Zero Water pitcher. Lots of toilet paper and more prescription drugs than I think I will need. I also carry some anti-D meds, indigestion pills (my bbq is sometimes requiring these), some allergy pills and a big bottle of 500 mg sleep time aspirins (can recall specific type of drug). A medicine kit is a great idea. I don't carry WD40 but do carry a couple cans of silicon lube. Last thing that comes to mind is RG6 in various lengths for varying placements of our sat dish.

That's quite the list. I have several jacks, jack stands but since I have 6 point hydraulic jacks don't really need them. Spare circuit breakers are something I haven't considered, that will be spendy. Already have a couple of extra coffee makers, not those K types though. Don't have sat so no need for the RG. Got all the rest including a full blown survival kit.
Thanks for your input.

GaryUT
06-09-2020, 04:20 PM
I carry basic hand tools, electrical and plumbing parts and misc hardware. Duck tape and gaffers tape. WD-40, grease gun, and WD-40 dry lube.

A 10 foot roll of 6" eternabond tape, a can of cleaner, scissors, and a roller in case I have to do an emergency roof repair.

Tow chain, tow strap, 4 way lug wrench, and torque wrench with sockets to fit the lugs on the truck and trailer.

Gary

sonofcy
06-09-2020, 04:35 PM
I carry basic hand tools, electrical and plumbing parts and misc hardware. Duck tape and gaffers tape. WD-40, grease gun, and WD-40 dry lube.

A 10 foot roll of 6" eternabond tape, a can of cleaner, scissors, and a roller in case I have to do an emergency roof repair.

Tow chain, tow strap, 4 way lug wrench, and torque wrench with sockets to fit the lugs on the truck and trailer.

Gary

Yep, got all that, thanks for your input.

Frank G
06-10-2020, 01:43 AM
I got tired of carrying around a small RV store so I concentrate an a small Tool box with fuses, duct tape, and a assortment of screws. Everything else can be found at local RV stores or Walmart's. Most importantly, is good tires and maintenance, before the trip. Then, what do I need to get myself off the side of the road, Jack's, tire changing equipment, set of wheel bearings and seals, tube of grease. Don't forget a DOT roadside safety kit and high visibility vest.

sonofcy
06-10-2020, 06:32 AM
I got tired of carrying around a small RV store so I concentrate an a small Tool box with fuses, duct tape, and a assortment of screws. Everything else can be found at local RV stores or Walmart's. Most importantly, is good tires and maintenance, before the trip. Then, what do I need to get myself off the side of the road, Jack's, tire changing equipment, set of wheel bearings and seals, tube of grease. Don't forget a DOT roadside safety kit and high visibility vest.

I am planning a cross Canada trip. It is about 4,500 miles ONE way. During that entire trip I would be near a Walmart maybe 8 or 10 days out of the 3 months. As for RV stores, finding them is a challenge and I seldom find the part I am looking for there. I like being prepared and self sufficient.

JRTJH
06-10-2020, 07:42 AM
Based on where you'll be located, Amazon does have delivery. Most of the things I've needed over the years, if not available locally, are "1 or 2 day delivery" with UPS or FedEx. For me, I'm getting to where it's not worth having parts, tools, time, initiative (all in the same place at the same time) and planning for "failures" is a lot like planning for flat tires.... Sort of, "I'll deal with it when it happens"...

Basic tools for basic jobs, anything "special or time consuming/back breaking" is going to be "on the credit card and worry about it when we get home"...

sonofcy
06-10-2020, 10:06 AM
Based on where you'll be located, Amazon does have delivery. Most of the things I've needed over the years, if not available locally, are "1 or 2 day delivery" with UPS or FedEx. For me, I'm getting to where it's not worth having parts, tools, time, initiative (all in the same place at the same time) and planning for "failures" is a lot like planning for flat tires.... Sort of, "I'll deal with it when it happens"...

Basic tools for basic jobs, anything "special or time consuming/back breaking" is going to be "on the credit card and worry about it when we get home"...

I use amazon.CA a lot where I am now, but on our trip that will not always be possible. Canada is a bigger land mass than the USA with 10% of the people so we have large parts of empty space. AFAIK amazon needs an address to make a delivery and 1 or 2 day delivery is only in high traffic areas. Since we will be boondocking or staying at non campground places delivery isn't always possible. The parts I am asking about are the kind I need to get home or wherever I am going, not the leave it till I am home kind.

travelin texans
06-10-2020, 01:33 PM
If your luck runs like mine regardless of how many tools or spare parts you pack onboard there will always be one you won't have with you to complete the job!

Texas Steve
06-10-2020, 01:36 PM
A good collapsible ladder even if you have a roof access ladder. Spare lens covers for marker lights. Those things always seem to blow off!

flybouy
06-10-2020, 01:41 PM
A Sprinter van towing a Haulmark Grizzly AXL trailer for the DW to follow carting all the spare parts and tools.:banghead:

Pull Toy
06-10-2020, 02:13 PM
DUCT TAPE... WD 40... and a Visa card! Duct Tape stops it from moving. WD 40 makes it move. VISA pays for the parts you really do need to keep moving! Also pack a basic tool kit.

Almost any parts that break on the road can be found locally to wherever you are (Except on the Trans Alaska Hiway maybe.). Don't over think it, over pack it, and sweat the small sh*t!

Enjoy, and Good Luck

sonofcy
06-10-2020, 02:29 PM
If your luck runs like mine regardless of how many tools or spare parts you pack onboard there will always be one you won't have with you to complete the job!

And that's what keeps me awake at night and the reason for the post. It was triggered by the toilet ball valve ear breaking off so you can no longer work the toilet, EXCEPT, I have already fixed it once for a different problem, bought 2 of the parts so knew how it was put together and how it worked. The temporary fix is my Leatherman locking pliers clamped to what remains of the ear until the part arrives. Not 1 or 2 days as some have said, but 4 to 6, and I am a Prime member. I guarantee you none of the local RV stores will carry that part. In fact without the actual part number it is probably impossible to find on Amazon since I would never guess at the name they assigned it. This happens a lot. The amazon search consistently only showed an $80 subassembly no matter what I searched on but the actual part is $20.

wiredgeorge
06-10-2020, 02:35 PM
I put one of those RV super shower heads on (can't recall name) but used the OLD hose going from bathtub faucet to shower head. Old hose ends were made of brittle plastic. Didn't use the metal ended ones that came with the fancy shower head. Guess where the metal ended hose was when the plastic one broke (squirted water ALL OVER)??? In my storage building with all the other RV spares. I was lucky in that I could drive to a Walmart and the hose on a residential is the same as the one for my RV application.

sonofcy
06-10-2020, 02:38 PM
Trans Alaska highway AND most of Canada. That's the issue, I am planning a cross Canada trip of some 7,200 Kms/4,500 miles one way. We got lots of country but few people. Canada is about 2% bigger in area, but only about 11.5% as many people.

sonofcy
06-10-2020, 02:41 PM
I don't own any more buildings, but I do have a construction trailer I use for storage. The only RV stuff that will be left in there will be cleaning supplies.

sourdough
06-10-2020, 03:44 PM
And that's what keeps me awake at night and the reason for the post. It was triggered by the toilet ball valve ear breaking off so you can no longer work the toilet, EXCEPT, I have already fixed it once for a different problem, bought 2 of the parts so knew how it was put together and how it worked. The temporary fix is my Leatherman locking pliers clamped to what remains of the ear until the part arrives. Not 1 or 2 days as some have said, but 4 to 6, and I am a Prime member. I guarantee you none of the local RV stores will carry that part. In fact without the actual part number it is probably impossible to find on Amazon since I would never guess at the name they assigned it. This happens a lot. The amazon search consistently only showed an $80 subassembly no matter what I searched on but the actual part is $20.

Not to hijack your thread, but since you mentioned it, Amazon Prime is now ridiculous.

There is no such thing as 2 day delivery any longer that I can tell. They were running 10 days to 2 weeks and some....well, I've been waiting for 4 orders now since first week of March. Oh, even when they tell you it was "lost" (3 of them) they do not want to refund the money - no tracking info either other than "shipped". Than goodness for Amex; credited all of them back and I've cut my ordering to Amazon by 90%. Trying Walmart but they don't have much. Regular suppliers seem to be stepping up a lot from what they used to do. Covid may put Bezos in the paupers house if he can't find the go button. Sorry; back to spare parts.....:o

sonofcy
06-10-2020, 04:48 PM
Not to hijack your thread, but since you mentioned it, Amazon Prime is now ridiculous.

There is no such thing as 2 day delivery any longer that I can tell. They were running 10 days to 2 weeks and some....well, I've been waiting for 4 orders now since first week of March. Oh, even when they tell you it was "lost" (3 of them) they do not want to refund the money - no tracking info either other than "shipped". Than goodness for Amex; credited all of them back and I've cut my ordering to Amazon by 90%. Trying Walmart but they don't have much. Regular suppliers seem to be stepping up a lot from what they used to do. Covid may put Bezos in the paupers house if he can't find the go button. Sorry; back to spare parts.....:o

It depends where you are located, and what you are ordering. Some items are actually shipped by a third party, others come from deep in the Amazon supply chain and a few come from your local warehouse. The local warehouse is still 1 to 2 days, the amazon system is 3 to 5ish but 3rd party is anything, I have some printer ink ordered May 24th and could be as late as Aug 17 or as early as July 14th. I have enough as I put in a second order at the time for quick delivery at a slightly higher cost.
Where I live now there is a amazon warehouse a few dozens of miles away but where I lived before in a small remote town the nearest warehouse was hundreds of miles away. The warehouse that was a long way away would sometimes give me overnight delivery if I ordered early enough, but generally 2 days.

Northofu1
06-10-2020, 04:59 PM
I think it depends on the product you're ordering.
I follow a website called "camel camel camel" you cut and paste a url from Amazon, plug in a price you're willing to pay and it will email you.
I ordered my PI EMS on May 11 and it was delivered on May 13 for $501 CA +tax. The camel website emailed me yesterday and informed me that it had dropped in price to 445. I contacted Amazon for a rebate and they said no.
Now, I had already installed the original unit, so I asked for a shipping label to return that unit, they sent it via email and I ordered a new one yesterday. It came today.
I came home from work put the new unit in the old box and return label and shipped it back. I will get the $56 dollars back. I went back to camel and dropped the price notification again just in case. I would do the same thing again. I also ordered a Hengs 9" 3 speed reversible vent fan was here in two days. It is getting better, Covid threw a wrench into alot of things. The upside is I'm spending my camping money on upgrades lol

Harried Harry
06-18-2020, 09:29 PM
My suggestion is to carry a four to six gallon (ten liter?) jug for water. In case you have water problems you'll have water to drink, or use for other things. A few years ago I was on a trip to my niece's wedding when the water line broke. I couldn't figure out what the problem was or how to fix it, so I bought a 6 gallon water container and we used that for the two weeks we were gone. I found the problem after we got home since nobody had repair parts and the one RV dealer I stopped at told me "we can get to you in two months".

sonofcy
06-19-2020, 05:47 AM
My suggestion is to carry a four to six gallon (ten liter?) jug for water. In case you have water problems you'll have water to drink, or use for other things. A few years ago I was on a trip to my niece's wedding when the water line broke. I couldn't figure out what the problem was or how to fix it, so I bought a 6 gallon water container and we used that for the two weeks we were gone. I found the problem after we got home since nobody had repair parts and the one RV dealer I stopped at told me "we can get to you in two months".

Like most people who live on the west coast we have a full emergency kit. For us that includes 12G/45L of water in addition to our internal tank.
I thought of one more, for those that have them, a HepvO valve.

jimborokz
06-19-2020, 07:10 PM
every spring when we return north for the summer I look over all the tools and spares some of which I have accumulated during the winter. Rule is if I haven't used it in the last four years, it's time to remove it. I have probably shed 150 lbs over the last three years alone. When we started snowbirding I thought we would need everything possible. We didn't. I replaced the 3 gallon Rigid compressor with a smaller lighter ac/dc tankless one. Where we stay there's always a Walmart and Loew's nearby and Amazon is just two days away. (it's the Chinese stuff that takes forever) Basic tools and a variety of fasteners covers most of our needs. When I need to order something like a clearance lens I get a couple extras for spares and usually never need one again.
We do carry a basic first aid kit and an emergency kit consisting of two Black Box merlots.

Snoking
06-19-2020, 07:45 PM
Did anyone say multi-meter and learn how to use it? And a good wire connector crimp tool. I have a couple of these, along with a ratchet one, had works for #10 connectors. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-9-1-2-in-Crimping-Tool-1005SEN/100352095

Soldering gun and solder for electrical/electronics.